• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Help me determine what this mental condition is please!

mental health

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:16 AM

All of them.

They won't treat it alone, they are very useful as augmentation with an SSRI or SNRI. Mostly due to the 5HT2A Antagonism.

Some people will enter a zombie/anhedonia state from one SSRI. brain chemistry changes with any of these medications.

Heck, people will enter this state from smoking weed once.

Treatment is the same. If all natural remedies have been attempted, broad range drugs are required.

Sadly I'm unconvince of much of this.

Marijuan (like antagonists) upregulates 5ht2a, but worsens anhedonia long-term.  And what about 5ht2c, it has been named by many sources as the most vital and pivotal receptor, having strong downstream effects on dopamine and gaba?   And dopamine is surely a big player in anhedonia.  so yeah, which ssris are 5ht2a antagonists?? or was that the srni or neuroleptic. i'm a bit confused here

now tell me.  if someones chemistry changes with any of these medications, and people may enter a zombie anhedonia state from one ssri, which particular med are you recommending? it would seem to me quite dangerous.  you've admitted certain meds may unfavorably alter the genome but go onto recommend largely similar meds? where's the consistency man??

the people who go into that state from weed once had serious predispositions. with ssris and neuroleptics, this phenomenon is much more wide spread.  it appears to be more likely to affect the very people who are supposed to benefit: sufferers negative/blunted symptoms.  on second thought, this may also be true of weed because of the incentive to self-medicate and whatnot.

and given the great profile of side effects seen with pharma stacks, i would advise a person to attempt natural remedies a second time before moving on

I've talked with alot of people who felt SSRIs caused their anhedonia, one of them went onto a high dose SSRI, different to the one they used, Their emotions and feelings all came back once the depression lifted.

Another case, a man with 20 years of DP & Depression, his emotions & and life came back on high dose SNR + Geodon (anti psychotic)

It's abit of an area of research of mine since i got this condition years ago. I don't believe medications cause conditions, they merely exacerbate them, and treatment should not be given up.

#32 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:10 AM

not everyone is going to respond the way you did.  they don't have to keep trying.  you can find a lot of complaints on google about anhedonia and ssris/antipsychotics, plenty of cases where prozac zapped and blunted emotions or haloperidol hurt creativity. imagination, initiative, motivation, and libdio.  a few of these people have had anhedonia long enough they are starting to wonder if it becomes permanent!  how is going back on a med that caused you problems end up being the solution?  it's the equivalent of getting a crutch to walk instead of gradually training your old back muscles, the natural/sustainable way.  why cant i achieve a similar effect from a cocktail of carefully selected herbs?

also how did he think ssri caused it in the first place if his feelings came back??  how come these two cases stand out in your memory, when youve talked to "alot of people".  did you arrive at this conclusion based on just a few data points.. did you run with your pet theory? kind of sounds that way, based on my limited perspective

Edited by gamesguru, 06 January 2017 - 02:16 AM.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#33 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:22 AM

You won't hear from many people who are cured on the internet. You only hear from people who had bad experiences.

I wanted to get a clear view on this so i talked to psychiatrists, people who have been on medications and their symptoms.

You'll find that the general view of SSRIs and anti psychotics making you a zombie, or emotionless, is not the majority experience. These are side effects, and can be eliminated by changing medications.

• Agree x 1

#34 hdl_1

• 104 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:29 AM

You won't hear from many people who are cured on the internet. You only hear from people who had bad experiences.
I wanted to get a clear view on this so i talked to psychiatrists, people who have been on medications and their symptoms.

You'll find that the general view of SSRIs and anti psychotics making you a zombie, or emotionless, is not the majority experience. These are side effects, and can be eliminated by changing medications.

The largest review involving 56 studies and 34,555 subjects treated with neuroleptics, yielded an average TD prevalence of 20%.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3709416/

This is 1 in 5 getting tardive dyskinesia which is associated with cognitive impairment.

Not to mention the other disabling effects such as akithasia, dystonias, drug induced psychosis, anhedonia, etc.

I should also mention that the withdrawal phase may last for years!!

So, unless you are into a full blown psychosis and your options are severly limited, all the studies point to STAY AWAY from antipsychotics.

SSRIs come with their own set of side effects and should not be treated lightly.

Edited by hdl_1, 06 January 2017 - 02:38 AM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#35 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:57 AM

Indeed, anti psychotics should be a last resort. I would still use them if i've tried all else for resistant depression & anhedonia with DP.

• Agree x 1

#36 Quaker32

• 169 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

what about low-dose antipsychotic? i think for DP low dose is used. 

#37 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

In a 2009 al-Jazeera interview with a journalist, Riz Khan, Nash expressed some reservations about the way in which his life was portrayed in A Beautiful Mind. Most significantly, he objected to the fact that in the film he is shown as remaining on medication. Indeed, in a scene set around the time of his Nobel nomination in 1994, Nash’s character, played by Russell Crowe, explicitly credits his recovery, at least in part, to newer medication. The truth is that Nash stopped taking any medication in 1970. The line is a fabrication, and a conscious one.

#38 pecanpie

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:40 AM

What medications are you on now, if any, and what recreational drugs are you on, if any? 

I ask because your symptoms actually do sound like a psychiatric disorder. But medications and recreational drugs can have psychiatric side effects which mimic a psychiatric illness. I think a visit with a really good Doctor is in order here because it sounds like you are way past the DIY stage. IMO you need a very above average pdoc to help you figure this out.

Regarding psychosis, judge for yourself. Below I've posted the general characteristics of psychosis from the DSM-V.  If you had a disorder that involved psychosis then your reality testing would be impaired and you might attribute your symptoms to "the book", when it could just be you have schizoaffective disorder. Or the lack of a coherent self structure might indicate Borderline Personality Disorder. There are a million possibilities. Please go see a pro. Pay cash out of pocket if you have to just so you can have an expert opinion.

I hope I've included enough mights, maybes, and coulds. Because I could be completely wrong. That's why I think a really good professional opinion is called for..

Warning wall of Text:

Key Features That Define the Psychotic Disorders
Delusions
Delusions are fixed beliefs that are not amenable to change in light of conflicting evidence.
Their content may include a variety of themes (e.g., persecutory, referential, somatic, religious,
grandiose). Persecutory delusions (i.e., belief that one is going to be harmed, harassed,
and so forth by an individual, organization, or other group) are most common. Referential
delusions (i.e., belief that certain gestures, comments, environmental cues, and so forth are
directed at oneself) are also common. Grandiose delusions (i.e., when an individual believes
that he or she has exceptional abilities, wealth, or fame) and érotomanie delusions (i.e., when
an individual believes falsely that another person is in love with him or her) are also seen.
Nihilistic delusions involve the conviction that a major catastrophe will occur, and somatic
delusions focus on preoccupations regarding health and organ function.
Delusions are deemed bizarre if they are clearly implausible and not understandable to
same-culture peers and do not derive from ordinary life experiences. An example of a bizarre
delusion is the belief that an outside force has removed his or her internal organs and
replaced them with someone else's organs without leaving any wounds or scars. An example
of a nonbizarre delusion is the belief that one is under surveillance by the police, despite
a lack of convincing evidence. Delusions that express a loss of control over mind or
body are generally considered to be bizarre; these include the belief that one's thoughts
have been "removed" by some outside force {thought withdrawal), that alien thoughts have
been put into one's mind (thought insertion), or that one's body or actions are being acted on
or manipulated by some outside force (delusions of control). The distinction between a delusion
and a strongly held idea is sometimes difficult to make and depends in part on the
degree of conviction with which the belief is held despite clear or reasonable contradictory
evidence regarding its veracity.
Hallucinations
Hallucinations are perception-like experiences that occur without an external stimulus.
They are vivid and clear, with the full force and impact of normal perceptions, and not
under voluntary control. They may occur in any sensory modality, but auditory hallucinations
are the most common in schizophrenia and related disorders. Auditory hallucinations
are usually experienced as voices, whether familiar or unfamiliar, that are perceived
as distinct from the individual's own thoughts. The hallucinations must occur in the context
of a clear sensorium; those that occur while falling asleep (hypnagogic) or waking up
(hypnopompic) are considered to be within the range of normal experience. Hallucinations
may be a normal part of religious experience in certain cultural contexts.
Disorganized Thinking (Speech)
Disorganized thinking (formal thought disorder) is typically inferred from the individual's
speech. The individual may switch from one topic to another {derailment or loose associations).
Answers to questions may be obliquely related or completely unrelated (tangentiality).
Rarely, speech may be so severely disorganized that it is nearly incomprehensible and
resembles receptive aphasia in its linguistic disorganization {incoherence or "word salad").
Because mildly disorganized speech is common and nonspecific, the symptom must be severe
enough to substantially impair effective communication. The severity of the impairment
may be difficult to evaluate if the person making the diagnosis comes from a
different linguistic background than that of the person being examined. Less severe disorganized
thinking or speech may occur during the prodromal and residual periods of
schizophrenia.
Grossly Disorganized or Abnormai Miotor Behavior
(inciuding Catatonia)

Grossly disorganized or abnormal motor behavior may manifest itself in a variety of ways,
ranging from childlike "silliness" to unpredictable agitation. Problems may be noted in
any form of goal-directed behavior, leading to difficulties in performing activities of daily
living.
Catatonic behavior is a marked decrease in reactivity to the environment. This ranges
from resistance to instructions {negativism); to maintaining a rigid, inappropriate or bizarre
posture; to a complete lack of verbal and motor responses {mutism and stupor). It can
also include purposeless and excessive motor activity without obvious cause {catatonic
excitement). Other features are repeated stereotyped movements, staring, grimacing,
mutism, and the echoing of speech. Although catatonia has historically been associated
with schizophrenia, catatonic symptoms are nonspecific and may occur in other mental
disorders (e.g., bipolar or depressive disorders with catatonia) and in medical conditions
(catatonic disorder due to another medical condition).
Negative Symptoms
Negative symptoms account for a substantial portion of the morbidity associated with
schizophrenia but are less prominent in other psychotic disorders. Two negative symptoms
are particularly prominent in schizophrenia: diminished emotional expression and
avolition. Diminished emotional expression includes reductions in the expression of emotions
in the face, eye contact, intonation of speech (prosody), and movements of the hand,
head, and face that normally give an emotional emphasis to speech. Avolition is a decrease
in motivated self-initiated purposeful activities. The individual may sit for long periods of
time and show little interest in participating in work or social activities. Other negative
symptoms include alogia, anhedonia, and asociality. Alogia is manifested by diminished
speech output. Anhedonia is the decreased ability to experience pleasure from positive
stimuli or a degradation in the recollection of pleasure previously experienced. Asociality
refers to the apparent lack of interest in social interactions and may be associated with avolition,
but it can also be a manifestation of limited opportunities for social interactions.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#39 Quaker32

• 169 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:22 AM

Yo.

I don't know who that post was meant form, but it applies for me. I desperately need to see the right person but it.so.fucking.hard. to find them.

I haven't found anyone out there who can help me for sex addiction and DP/DR. And when I do find somebody, they arrogantly stop me from trying a medication.

Good luck to the person who is looking. I think we need to do a lot ourselves but need as much help as possible too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mental health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users