• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Best supplements for regenerating damaged nerves?

nerve supplement regeneration

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 john1960

• 42 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:46 AM

All I know of is benfotiamine, ala, b6/12, lions mane.

I understand nerve regeneration takes time but I would like to create an optimal environment, speed it up if possible. This is not diabetic neuropathy, but numbness left over from after surgery.

Anyone know of or have experience with effective supplements for this?

Thanks!

Edited by john1960, 12 March 2017 - 12:47 AM.

#2 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:54 AM

Not exactly supplements but likely worth a try:

BPC157

LIPUS

Shockwave therapy

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:00 PM

Thumbs up on the lion's mane.  Works for me as long as I remember to take it properly.

I see you're taking B6 but not sure which form it is.  But you should know that one of the reasons B6 has some small application in the treatment of neuropathy is because of how it enables thiamine to do its job.

You are taking benfotiamine but I don't know the dosage.  Whatever you are doing with it, do what you can to ensure you are taking a minimum of 400 mg thiamine daily or its benfotiamine equivalent.  Also match that B1 dose to riboflavin.  400 mg riboflavin but don't slam your body with that much all at the same time, stagger the doses during the day.

Make sure the active cobalamin you are taking contains at least some adenosylcobalamin.  If you are taking only methylcobalamin then you are missing out.  The body can convert adenosylcobalamin to methylcobalamin but not the other way around.  You need both forms of cobalamin; they have different jobs inside the cell.

The only catch about all of this is taking high doses of lone B vitamins for an extended period of time while neglecting to take the other B vitamins.  I suggest you find an active B-complex to add to your regimen, and one that includes sufficient doses of pantethine (most active B complexes like to skimp on this) or getting the pantethine by itself.  Especially since we are talking about assisting total cellular function.

I have read studies where memantine was successfully applied in the regeneration of nerves from crush injuries, albeit in rats.

I also have seen in the medical literature that taurine is beginning to be investigated for application in nerve regeneration, including numbness.  Some studies in animals showed that taurine had no effect, and others indicated some efficacy.  I can't recall more specifics than that but I do remember that they were studying different kinds of nerve damage, and using different species of test animals, so that may have been a factor in the mixed results.  I suspect that taurine alone would be ineffective as it would be like taking just one B vitamin by itself - if there is any application for taurine in this kind of thing, then it would be in conjunction with other supplements.

It is probably relevant to know exactly what nerves have been damaged.

• Agree x 1

#4 Andey

• 673 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:46 AM

I would also add building blocks like phospatidylcholine, chlorella (a lot of rna chunks), uridine

#5 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:44 AM

Niagen is the best for regenerating nerves.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Disagree x 2
  • Needs references x 2
  • dislike x 1

#6 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:46 AM

To the OP, it takes time to heal if the nerves aren't too damaged. My right foot is partially ( very partially ) paralyzed and numb. I have reduced ankle reflexes in that foot. It took me at least 2 to 3 months for my spinal cord to heal after injury and surgery. It just takes time. I don't know that stuff like bpc157 will help nerves... Just soft tissue. I wasnt sure if I would heal up to live a normal life again, but luckily I did and took a lot time. Be patient. Don't dwell on it. Exercise and then exercise some more every day. Good luck. It also depends on the nerves in question. I was lucky to have healing occur in my spinal cord. I understand some nerves are more prone to heal.... So maybe you can share what nerves and othersmarter people can help.
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:21 AM

Besides some of the ones you have mentioned the regimen I recommended years ago had two other supps;

1. Acetyl carnitine (which like Lion's mane increases nerve growth factor.  I didn't know about Lion's mane then.)

nerve growth factor  https://selfhacked.c...to-increase-it/

and 

2. alpha lipoic acid (which has less evidence for its benefits)

The person I recommended the regimen to did get marked improvement (nearly better).  As Rocket pointed out, nerves take a long time to regrow and I would be very patient.  It may have taken 6 or more months for the full improvement to occur. 

Edited by Benko, 27 May 2017 - 06:17 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nerve, supplement, regeneration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users