nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN)

nmn nad+

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
312 replies to this topic

#301 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

I have moved posts on sublingual use and NMN suppliers into their existing threads, and created a new thread for intranasal use.

• like x 1

#302 midas

• 368 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

http://www.freepaten...18/0118819.html

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#303 able

• 394 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

Interesting - now, what does it mean :)

I see claim one if for treating disease due to "muscular cell death", and is expanded for treating muscular dystrophy.

But then I notice claim 136 seems very broad:

136. A method of treating or preventing a mitochondrial myopathy in a subject in need thereof comprising administering to the subject nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), a salt thereof, a prodrug thereof, or a combination thereof, to treat or prevent a mitochondrial myopathy.

Does this mean Sinclair now has a patent that covers any use of NMN for treating or preventing any "mitochondria Myopathy"?  

Aren't mitochondria the target for any NMN usage, so he can soon shut down all NMN sales and force us to use his patented version?

Or does that just cover usage  prescribed by doctors for specific purposes, not the sale of "dietary supplements" such as on the market now?

Edited by able, 22 May 2018 - 06:55 PM.

#304 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:19 PM

Interesting - now, what does it mean :)

I see claim one if for treating disease due to "muscular cell death", and is expanded for treating muscular dystrophy.

But then I notice claim 136 seems very broad:

136. A method of treating or preventing a mitochondrial myopathy in a subject in need thereof comprising administering to the subject nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), a salt thereof, a prodrug thereof, or a combination thereof, to treat or prevent a mitochondrial myopathy.

Does this mean Sinclair now has a patent that covers any use of NMN for treating or preventing any "mitochondria Myopathy"?  

Aren't mitochondria the target for any NMN usage, so he can soon shut down all NMN sales and force us to use his patented version?

Mitochondrial Myopathies  are high-penetrance, severe mito genetic disorders — if you had one, you'd know ;) . This is a disease indication, not an enhancement, supplementation, or "normal" aging application.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1

#305 MikeDC

• 1,043 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

These kind of use patents are useless. It is not even granted.
  • Ill informed x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#306 Daniel Cooper

• 742 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

These are application patents, as are most of Chromadex's patents.

When you're talking about a naturally occurring compound, you're generally either looking at patenting the synthesis route, or the application of the compound to treat some disease or to produce some benefit.  

Since Chromadex didn't invent the synthesis route for NR (they licensed that) the vast majority of their patents are similar application patents.

And the NMN patent referenced above isn't granted, which isn't all all surprising since it was only filed last year.  

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 22 May 2018 - 08:43 PM.

• Agree x 5
  • Informative x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#307 MikeDC

• 1,043 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

These are application patents, as are most of Chromadex's patents.

When you're talking about a naturally occurring compound, you're generally either looking at patenting the synthesis route, or the application of the compound to treat some disease or to produce some benefit.

Since Chromadex didn't invent the synthesis route for NR (they licensed that) the vast majority of their patents are similar application patents.

And the NMN patent referenced above isn't granted, which isn't all all surprising since it was only filed last year.

ChromaDex licensed both synthesis and use of isolated NR. The other use patents are not useful.
  • Needs references x 3
  • Ill informed x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#308 Daniel Cooper

• 742 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

ChromaDex licensed both synthesis and use of isolated NR. The other use patents are not useful.

So ChromaDex's application (use) patents are not useful?  That's almost every patent that actually has ChromaDex's name on it.

Is your issue with application patents in general, or just those that undermine ChromaDex?

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 23 May 2018 - 02:19 PM.

• Agree x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#309 MikeDC

• 1,043 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

So ChromaDex's application (use) patents are not useful? That's almost every patent that actually has ChromaDex's name on it.

Is your issue with application patents in general, or just those that undermine ChromaDex?

I don’t think the application patents alone are useful. The Dartmouth patent has a clause of isolated NR. That makes the patent enforceable
  • Agree x 1

#310 InvictusVivus

• 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

Midas, thank you very much for posting the NMN related patent link above. 

Amongst other things, the dosage ranges specified in the application are quite interesting and perhaps very useful to NMN users.  The tops of some of the dose ranges are far higher than I have ever seen before and lead me to wonder why.

Edited by InvictusVivus, 23 May 2018 - 08:21 PM.

• Agree x 1

#311 InvictusVivus

• 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:07 AM

At this juncture I have had only enough time to give the subject patent application above a very brief scan.

However, prima facie, I have seen enough to have a serious concern about the depth and scope of all the claims within the application; if they all were to be granted there is a large potential for monopolistic practices with consequent limitations on availability of NMN and steep rises of prices of NMN.

#312 Daniel Cooper

• 742 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

At this juncture I have had only enough time to give the subject patent application above a very brief scan.

However, prima facie, I have seen enough to have a serious concern about the depth and scope of all the claims within the application; if they all were to be granted there is a large potential for monopolistic practices with consequent limitations on availability of NMN and steep rises of prices of NMN.

I browsed the patent as well.  I wouldn't worry too much about that at this juncture.  Patent lawyers are trained to claim the sun and the moon in the initial filing.  I don't doubt that this patent will be significantly paired back before it is granted.

Besides that, as MikeDC points out, application patents are notoriously hard to enforce.  You patent NMN to treat some mitochondrial disease.  Fine, I patent it to treat toenail fungus and sell it while everyone knows it's the same product.

• Agree x 2
  • Cheerful x 2
  • Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#313 Phoebus

• 115 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:59 AM

Able.

I weigh 205 pounds. I avoided the homeostasis of higher dose NMN by adding 1,800 mg of Betaine and 2 drops of 35% hydrogen peroxide per NMN dose.

interesting, why the oxidizing agent? 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)