- - - - -

David Sinclair's biological age was 58 after taking 1000 mg of resveratrol

sinclair

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 MikeDC

• 901 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

Unfortunately thanks to a sleazy interview/article its not clear exactly when Sinclair took his blood-test that yielded the biological age of 58. Only says before he took NMN. Which might also be before he took 1000 mg/day of resveratrol in 2015. Would expect a competent scientist to document before and after different treatments and a competent reporter to know enough to ask.

Btw, curious that he mixes resveratrol with yogurt. Wonder if he takes NMN that way too.

Howard

My impression is that Sinclair stopped using resveratrol and saw his age increase to 58 and then started NMN but here is what he said in the presentation linked below starting at 34:25:

1) He has been measuring his blood for 6 years and the talk was given in 2016 or 2017 so from 2010 to 2011 using that system yet he has also said he measured blood the first 6 months taking resveratrol around 2002.

2) Sincair then said he saw his age go up until it reached 57 in 2014, then started taking metformin since he was pre-diabetic and NMN. After a peak of 58, within three months his age quickly fell to 32 years old. (from 35:00)

3) Sinclair said he felt and looked younger - "certainly I had more energy."

4) He concludes that part saying his 78 year old father took NMN as well and could climb a mountain as if in his 30s whereas Sinclair's brother, who isn't taking NMN, cold barely keep up.

34:25 on measuring aging and taking NMN:

https://www.youtube....h?v=hgQM9l8RWCw
He also said he started both metformin and NMN. Metformin will help a lot with diabetes. If he doesn’t take Resveratrol now, I don’t see why anyone would take it. Much better alternatives are available. At best Resveratrol is just an antioxidant.

Edited by MikeDC, 03 March 2018 - 07:10 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#32 hav

• 1,079 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

Unfortunately thanks to a sleazy interview/article its not clear exactly when Sinclair took his blood-test that yielded the biological age of 58.  Only says before he took NMN. Which might also be before he took 1000 mg/day of resveratrol in 2015.  Would expect a competent scientist to document before and after different treatments and a competent reporter to know enough to ask.

Btw, curious that he mixes resveratrol with yogurt. Wonder if he takes NMN that way too.

Howard

https://www.youtube....h?v=hgQM9l8RWCw

Thanks for the missing detail.  I expected the blood-tests to be telomere length measurements but see they're biomarkers which his PowerPoint lists as Glucose, Vitamin D, Testosterone, hsCRP... he says there are 30-some in the InsideTracker test report...  and that Resveratrol's impact on them as a group is negligible compared to NMN.  Only issue I see is that the "biological age" thing is a calculated inference based on a correlation between those biomarkers and physical age.  Which might further skew things for a pre-diabetic.  Certainly suggests taking NMN might be a more practical way to manipulate all those markers than taking individual supplements.  Wonder if InsideTracker provides marker by marker "biological age" assumptions so one can decide if individual manipulation might be simpler, like if my only deficiency was Vitamin D, I'd just take that.

Howard

Edited by hav, 03 March 2018 - 08:44 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 563 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

He also said he started both metformin and NMN. Metformin will help a lot with diabetes. If he doesn’t take Resveratrol now, I don’t see why anyone would take it. Much better alternatives are available. At best Resveratrol is just an antioxidant.

The last I read was in August 2015, Sinclair said he took 1,000 mg of resveratrol at breakfast along with a NAD+ precursor that turns out to be NMN. I assume the reason was the same as Elysium selling ptersotilbine with NR. 

• Agree x 1

#34 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:54 PM

The last I read was in August 2015, Sinclair said he took 1,000 mg of resveratrol at breakfast along with a NAD+ precursor that turns out to be NMN. I assume the reason was the same as Elysium selling ptersotilbine with NR. 

I still have not seen a study that shows Ptero activates Sirt1 (or any sirtuins)

I am not entirely sure why it would be in Elysium.

Anyone have a link to a study that shows Sirtuin activation of Ptero?

A

• Good Point x 1

#35 MikeDC

• 901 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

I still have not seen a study that shows Ptero activates Sirt1 (or any sirtuins)

A

If you search pterostilbene and Sirt1 on pubmed, you get 8 articles. Even though many studies show both Resveratrol and pterostilbene activate Sirt1. Clinical trials results show otherwise. Elysium made a big mistake using pterostilbene and their clinical trial results were negatively impacted by pterostilbene. The soon to be published Colorado NR trail will show much better health benefit than Elysium’s trial.
  • Ill informed x 3

#36 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 563 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:38 PM

A

Since Pterostilbine is so close to resveratrol, I can see why Guarente would add it as a likely molecule to have a synergistic effect with NR as he stated when Eysium began to sell Basis.

#37 hav

• 1,079 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

A

Don't think it does that either.  But it does achieve a number of similar effects via other pathways and has a higher bio-availability.  Good summary chart of studies/effects of resveratol, ptero, and a metabolite of ptero:

http://www.jfda-onli...0096-5/fulltext

Howard

• like x 1

#38 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:02 PM

A

Don't think it does that either.  But it does achieve a number of similar effects via other pathways and has a higher bio-availability.  Good summary chart of studies/effects of resveratol, ptero, and a metabolite of ptero:

Howard

Thanks Hav,

I don't believe Pterostilbene has been shown to activate any sirtuins at this point.

Hmmm...Is it me or are most of the animal studies done with resveratrol in the article you link?

A

• unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#39 hav

• 1,079 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

A

Howard

Thanks Hav,

I don't believe Pterostilbene has been shown to activate any sirtuins at this point.

Hmmm...Is it me or are most of the animal studies done with resveratrol in the article you link?

A

Resverastrol is way more studied than ptero.  And the only one in that summary studied in humans... a diabetes study.  Which probably explains why Sinclair takes it.  Some folks on this forum who need to keep close monitor of their glucose levels have also reported this and observed greater effect mixing it with some of the more lipophilic resveratrol-related molecules. I seem to recall polydatin and luteolin being mentioned. I think ptero might do even better but that summary only goes up to Jan 2017... however, here's one from Aug 2017: https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28629731

Howard

#40 bluemoon

• Topic Starter
  • 563 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:28 AM

Resverastrol is way more studied than ptero.  And the only one in that summary studied in humans... a diabetes study.  Which probably explains why Sinclair takes it.  Some folks on this forum who need to keep close monitor of their glucose levels have also reported this and observed greater effect mixing it with some of the more lipophilic resveratrol-related molecules. I seem to recall polydatin and luteolin being mentioned. I think ptero might do even better but that summary only goes up to Jan 2017... however, here's one from Aug 2017: https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28629731

Howard

So why do you think almost nobody cares about reveratrol anymore? Where are the human trials for reseveratrol? Evenn Sinclair called resveratrol the first generation health supplement in 2014 whereas he said: "We are now on the 5th generation with NR?" 

Edited by bluemoon, 08 March 2018 - 02:29 AM.

• Ill informed x 1

#41 MikeDC

• 901 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:04 AM

Resverastrol is way more studied than ptero. And the only one in that summary studied in humans... a diabetes study. Which probably explains why Sinclair takes it. Some folks on this forum who need to keep close monitor of their glucose levels have also reported this and observed greater effect mixing it with some of the more lipophilic resveratrol-related molecules. I seem to recall polydatin and luteolin being mentioned. I think ptero might do even better but that summary only goes up to Jan 2017... however, here's one from Aug 2017: https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28629731

Howard
So why do you think almost nobody cares about reveratrol anymore? Where are the human trials for reseveratrol? Evenn Sinclair called resveratrol the first generation health supplement in 2014 whereas he said: "We are now on the 5th generation with NR?"
This is a review article that did a meta analysis on all Resveratrol clinical trials. The result is Resveratrol doesn’t change lipid profile. This means Resveratrol doesn’t activate Sirt1. Pterostilbene actually increases lipid profile. So pterostilbene is also not a sirt 1 activator. All the studies of Resveratrol on mice are trash. https://www.ncbi.nlm...clinical trials

Edited by MikeDC, 08 March 2018 - 03:05 AM.

• Ill informed x 1

#42 hav

• 1,079 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

This is a review article that did a meta analysis on all Resveratrol clinical trials. The result is Resveratrol doesn’t change lipid profile. This means Resveratrol doesn’t activate Sirt1. Pterostilbene actually increases lipid profile. So pterostilbene is also not a sirt 1 activator. All the studies of Resveratrol on mice are trash. https://www.ncbi.nlm...clinical trials

Sirt1 has a number of effects involving glucose and lipid metabolism but regulating the lipid profile isn't mentioned in this paper on Sirtuins in Glucose and Lipid Metabolism.  But they specifically mention sirt6 as having that effect.  So the study you cite and this paper taken together indeed suggest that resveratrol is not a sirt6 activator and would be the wrong supplement to take if improving your lipid profile were your only consideration.

Howard

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#43 MikeDC

• 901 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

Sirt1 has a number of effects involving glucose and lipid metabolism but regulating the lipid profile isn't mentioned in this paper on Sirtuins in Glucose and Lipid Metabolism. But they specifically mention sirt6 as having that effect. So the study you cite and this paper taken together indeed suggest that resveratrol is not a sirt6 activator and would be the wrong supplement to take if improving your lipid profile were your only consideration.

Howard

There are more evidence that Sirt1 regulate metabolic health than sirt6. Maybe both.
  • Needs references x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sinclair

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users