NR is trash

nr snake oil garbage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
118 replies to this topic

#31 DareDevil

• 283 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

Hi Valijon,

It's actually a matter of how to get the 20 grams of NAD+ out of the plastic bag and into each of my body's cells lol.

My thinking is all over the place, best explained by my relative ignorace of bioscience. Here's the thread about this quest:

http://www.longecity...ection-of-nad/?

DareDevil

Edited by DareDevil, 27 September 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#32 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:05 AM

been using it for 6 months, started low at 100mg up to 400mg at times of lack of energy.

conclusion, it doesnt work. at least in any regard to energy at all. ill have bullet proof coffee ill fly for 12 hours, ill do NR for 6 months and ill feel sleepy and grumpy. not sure how its anti aging effects are expressed if i dont really feel any younger after use of 6 months....

• Informative x 1

#33 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:32 PM

Apparently ALIVEBYNATURE agrees and discontinued their NR.

I'm a customer and asked for my new supply but been told it's no longer being sold.

#34 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

been using it for 6 months, started low at 100mg up to 400mg at times of lack of energy.

conclusion, it doesnt work. at least in any regard to energy at all.

FWIW, when I first started taking it (several months ago) that was the first thing I noticed--increased energy (but not in a bad way, like coffee).  

1. I wasn't expecting it and

2.  I have a long term history of insufficient sleep (if that is relevant), so it is possible my experience might be different than other people.  

NB: this is all subjective (I don't notice the increase in energy any more) but continue to take it for what I hope will be longer term benefits.

I don't notice any benefits from taking coenzyme Q-10, but if I stop taking it (and I first noticed this decades ago), my endurance is less.  Again, not something I expected.

Edited by Benko, 29 September 2017 - 06:26 PM.

#35 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:26 PM

I'm a customer and asked for my new supply but been told it's no longer being sold.

Sorry, but you are mistaken.

Chromadex took over the Tru Niagen brand. They now market it directly to consumers. I would count it as likely  that Alive is a re-seller that Chromadex discontinued access due to them selling too low. They have stated explicitly, that they would do this to various re-sellers. Tru Niagen will be the Cromadex brand sold in the large Watsons chain over seas.

No, I am not an NR cheerleader, but I will continue to take it at least until I run out of my current approximately 12 month supply taken by my wife and I. If I get priced out of the market, there will be other suppliers of NR (not Niagen) like Elysium. The strategy will only be partially successful. I also believe there will be some other readily available non NR, NAD +  benefiting chemicals

I will not buy Tru Niagen NR.

https://app.truniagen.com/

Edited by Heisok, 29 September 2017 - 06:38 PM.

• like x 1

#36 Valijon

• Topic Starter
  • 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

Some of us are young enough that we arent too concerned with the effectiveness of something like NR. There are many other substances being reviewed for increases in energy healthspan and lifespan. Chromadex acts like many other shady companies ive seen in the past. Ive been around supplements for 25 years.

If there are any real health benefits to be had from taking NR, they should be known within the next few years.

Id recommend holding on purchasing NR and divert resources to other substances.
  • Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#37 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:40 PM

Chromadex took over the Tru Niagen brand. They now market it directly to consumers. I would count it as likely  that Alive is a re-seller that Chromadex discontinued access due to them selling too low. They have stated explicitly, that they would do this to various re-sellers. Tru Niagen will be the Cromadex brand sold in the large Watsons chain over seas.

No, I am not an NR cheerleader, but I will continue to take it at least until I run out of my current approximately 12 month supply taken by my wife and I. If I get priced out of the market, there will be other suppliers of NR (not Niagen) like Elysium. The strategy will only be partially successful. I also believe there will be some other readily available non NR, NAD +  benefiting chemicals

Here's what Bryan from ALIVE said...what do you think?

I'm sorry, but we are no longer selling the  Nicotinamide Riboside (Niagen).

We have long preferred Nicotinamide Mono-nucleotide (NMN), as it seems to work more quickly and be more effective, but was too expensive.

Our manufacturing partner has been able to bring the price down so that we can now offer NMN at slightly higher cost than Niagen.

We expect to have it listed on our site and store next week, and will send email to all previous Niagen customers then.

• Informative x 4
  • Good Point x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#38 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

I don't know Bryan or anything about that company, but that may be a valid statement or it may be sour grapes after ChromaDex cut them off.  Who knows.

If he was offering NMN at slightly lower costs than NR I'd definitely be interested.   I think you're going to get basically the same benefit out of either compound, though NR looks like it may be a more direct route since it appears that NMN must be converted to NR to pass into the cell.  But, that really doesn't turn me of it.

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 29 September 2017 - 06:45 PM.

• Disagree x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#39 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

Chromadex took over the Tru Niagen brand. They now market it directly to consumers. I would count it as likely that Alive is a re-seller that Chromadex discontinued access due to them selling too low. They have stated explicitly, that they would do this to various re-sellers. Tru Niagen will be the Cromadex brand sold in the large Watsons chain over seas.

No, I am not an NR cheerleader, but I will continue to take it at least until I run out of my current approximately 12 month supply taken by my wife and I. If I get priced out of the market, there will be other suppliers of NR (not Niagen) like Elysium. The strategy will only be partially successful. I also believe there will be some other readily available non NR, NAD + benefiting chemicals

I will switch to TRU Niagen brand immediately when it comes available where I live. Not because I am a shareholder and want tonoptimize their profits (which I am btw, nice hedge to off set the cost of expensive NR) but for the simple reason that I can be more sure about the quality and contents of the product. I have been using HPN for long time now. Some months back the color changed to more white, claims has the same filler. How come? Lately I have not been my best and I switched from the "new" HPN back to an old can and back on track in a day or. Co-incidence? Probably but with so many variables I prefer to elimenate some.

Edited by stefan_001, 29 September 2017 - 09:02 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#40 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

I don't know Bryan or anything about that company, but that may be a valid statement or it may be sour grapes after ChromaDex cut them off.  Who knows.

If he was offering NMN at slightly lower costs than NR I'd definitely be interested.   I think you're going to get basically the same benefit out of either compound, though NR looks like it may be a more direct route since it appears that NMN must be converted to NR to pass into the cell.  But, that really doesn't turn me of it.

Thats interesting, it should be similar but perhaps I would try it by itself and in combination. Did they mention the source? Hope its not Chinese because then I can order as well myself directly.

#41 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

Obviously they got cutoff. They are selling jarrow brand Niagen.

http://alivebynature...tablets-100-mg/
  • Disagree x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#42 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

Alivebynature were giving away Niagen at $20 per month. The other useless supplements they sell at $60.
  • Needs references x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • dislike x 1

#43 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

Thats interesting, it should be similar but perhaps I would try it by itself and in combination. Did they mention the source? Hope its not Chinese because then I can order as well myself directly.

I haven't heard anyone say where they are sourcing it from.  Maybe someone here can ask him.  I'd frankly be a little surprised if it isn't coming out of China.

That's not the end of the world, provided that you're doing regular and extensive testing on every batch to verify what they're selling you.  The problem with Chinese sources is that many vendors test the first couple of batches and they just turn them on an assume that they are continuing to ship the same stuff.  That is a really bad assumption wrt to China.  They tend to cheapen the product as time goes on until the customer notices and calls them on it.  And if you aren't testing, you aren't going to notice until something bad happens.

#44 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

Chinese consumers are willing to pay more to buy direct from US. Nothing sold in China or from China can be trusted. Almost everything is adultered.
  • Needs references x 3
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#45 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:40 PM

Chinese product can be tested and found to be good, but I agree they can't be trusted.  You either test it and prove what you're getting, or just assume the worse, which can be very bad indeed in some cases.

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 29 September 2017 - 09:56 PM.

#46 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:48 PM

I would never buy supplement from a chinese company.  But apparently, most supplements we buy in the US are manufactured in China and imported here for bottling.  

This quote below from an article by NOW foods...

"Now, what does this mean for natural supplements and health ingredients? All ingredients from China are now suspect. In many cases our industry has no options but to purchase ingredients from China. The Chinese have cornered the commodities market for ingredients such as Vitamin C, the B vitamins, Stevia and xylitol. Although some of these ingreidents may be available from other countries, the vast majority in terms of tonnage, come from China. At NOW Foods, we have been aware of this, and have taken measures to control the quality and ensure the safety of these ingredients.

Our quality control procedures involve the setting of specifications and testing to these specifications for all ingredients, no matter where they come from, but especially from China. It’s our responsibility to ensure a safe supply of products to you. We take this responsibility for good design and testing seriously. We have invested huge amounts of money in a GMP facility and expensive testing capabilities. We audit our ingredient suppliers to ensure hygiene, quality and safety. We test for identity, purity and potency, and we look for contamination and adulteration, no matter where the ingreident comes from."

Part of the practices a GMP company follows is testing before they bottle.  Good question is, do they just do that on first few batches, or every one?

Edited by able, 29 September 2017 - 09:49 PM.

#47 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

It's really ok if your supplement was made in China, as long at the supplement company is doing real quality control  That means a least thorough testing of every batch they use, and ideally on site audits where their people periodically do a surprise inspection.  The larger companies might even have their own full time person regularly on site.

The problem is that a smaller supplement maker probably doesn't have the resources to do periodic inspections and certainly can't afford to have their own person on site.  But, if they test everything that can work too.  The problem is that testing can be somewhat expensive and it's very tempting for smaller companies to skip it.

• Agree x 1

#48 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

Stefan, as a publically traded corporation, those sitting on the board, and usually directors of the corporation have a fiduciary responsibility to protect the owners. You, and all stockholders.

I hope you reported HPN, and that Chromadex followed up. They have the ability to test for their product. 

I do not doubt about your integrity in how you post on Longecity owner or not. You add good information to the issues. Thanks!

#49 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

Is it time to delete the thread?
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 3
  • dislike x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#50 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

The longer this thread stay, the firmer I believe most moderators here are compromised. Michael seems to be the only fair modulator.
  • dislike x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#51 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:11 PM

If they kick anyone out again, use this thread as evidence to sue the moderators.
  • dislike x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#52 Valijon

• Topic Starter
  • 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:17 PM

Im going to show restraint when I speak to you this time MikeDC. We all know you are in love with NR and Chromadex in particular. Please try to control yourself. No one is suing any moderators. I believe you need some real education. Are there any chemistry courses you can take at your local college?
  • like x 6
  • unsure x 1

#53 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:22 PM

This thread shows what kind of person you are. Yes I took chemistry course and actually I have a PhD in Chemistry. What is your credentials? A dropout nurse?
  • dislike x 5
  • Unfriendly x 2
  • Cheerful x 1

#54 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:27 PM

Here's what Bryan from ALIVE said...what do you think?

I'm sorry, but we are no longer selling the  Nicotinamide Riboside (Niagen).

We have long preferred Nicotinamide Mono-nucleotide (NMN), as it seems to work more quickly and be more effective, but was too expensive.

Our manufacturing partner has been able to bring the price down so that we can now offer NMN at slightly higher cost than Niagen.

We expect to have it listed on our site and store next week, and will send email to all previous Niagen customers then.

I see that Marshmellow, from the yahoo message boards, posted the same email as you.

Also, that they are selling their nmn now, for $46 a bottle.

If I'm reading it right, it's 125 mg nmn, 60 capsules.  A little more than Tru Niagen, I think?

Plus they include some niacin, nam, and tryptophan, which I'd prefer NOT to have myself.

http://alivebynature...st-nad-booster/

Hmnn, some interesting charts on that page....

Edited by able, 29 September 2017 - 10:28 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#55 Valijon

• Topic Starter
  • 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:31 PM

You dont act like someone who has a doctorate of anything. Who said anything about dropping out? As if Id disgrace my family with failure.
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Agree x 1

#56 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:35 PM

Your behavior is disgrace to your family. You stay here is amazing
  • dislike x 3
  • Unfriendly x 2

#57 Valijon

• Topic Starter
  • 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

My degrees Associate of Arts, Associate of Science in Nursing. R.N. 5 years of experience between General Medical Surgical and long term care. Former retail business owner in hobbies such as models trains rockets and radio control.

Currently returning to college in Spring 2018 for a B.A. in Elementary Education. Anything else youd like to know? By the way Doc. You made a grammatical error. That should read are, not is.
  • Off-Topic x 1

#58 Valijon

• Topic Starter
  • 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

I try to be a little cordial and what do you do? Behave like an autistic child.
  • Well Written x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1

#59 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

Able, I wonder if Marshmallow has a C.O.A. ? Is it Fractal Health brand? Their 125 mg capsule contained 5 mg of NMN.

Anthony sells supplements, but the C.O.A. they paid for does not lie.

The Alive NMN combination lists it as >95 % purity NMN, but I would like to see the C.O.A. It could be far more economical.

I have emailed them with a request to see a C.O.A.

http://www.longecity...evgenetics-nmn/

Edited by Heisok, 29 September 2017 - 11:18 PM.

#60 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:19 PM

Who behaved badly? Are you the only one earth that have family members dying? Does it give everyone the right to abuse others?
  • dislike x 3
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Good Point x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users