• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

ALCAR gives me heartburn - alternative forms?

alcar indigestion heartburn

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nyc_futurism

• 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:36 AM

I've been using ALCAR for years as part of a morning empty stomach stack, and have been getting indigestion a fair bit. I've narrowed it down to the ALCAR and have temporarily removed it from the stack. 

What I"m wondering is -

- Does anyone else get this effect?

- Is there an alternative which might not cause the heartburn?

Also, I've been using ALA at bedtime for its nerve regrowth properties. Will this stick around long enough to get the synergetic effects with the ALCAR, or should I be taking that additionally in the morning?

Thanks,

-Rob

#2 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

If the ALCAR is giving you heartburn I'm surprised that the ALA isn't.  

BTW - if ALA does give anyone heartburn I would suggest switching to the R form and taking half the dose to achieve the same effect.

If you're taking these two supplements together I'd be far more suspicious that the ALA is the culprit btw.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nyc_futurism

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

If the ALCAR is giving you heartburn I'm surprised that the ALA isn't.  

BTW - if ALA does give anyone heartburn I would suggest switching to the R form and taking half the dose to achieve the same effect.

If you're taking these two supplements together I'd be far more suspicious that the ALA is the culprit btw.

Nope. No issues with the ALA, and I'm already taking the R form (Doctor's Best, Jarrow, and now Relentless).

#4 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

Are you taking the ALCAR with food?

I'd definitely not take ALCAR and ALA at the same time.  I'd probably take the ALCAR with a meal and the ALA between meals.

#5 nyc_futurism

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:55 PM

Are you taking the ALCAR with food?

I'd definitely not take ALCAR and ALA at the same time.  I'd probably take the ALCAR with a meal and the ALA between meals.

No, I thought it was an empty stomach Amino Acid. Will it be effective with Food? I can do that, and it will probably not cause heartburn mixed in with a meal.

#6 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

I don't believe that with or without food will greatly affect absorption on this one.  In any case, taking it with food will be better than not taking it at all if you can't tolerate it on an empty stomach.  

Also, years and years of reflux also have negative health outcomes, the most significant being Barrett's Esophagus.

BTW, if you are taking ALA and ALCAR at the same time on an empty stomach the combo might be pushing you over the top reflux wise.  You could try taking each one separately on an empty stomach.

#7 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

Alcar has a reported pH of 2.0-3.0, so you might want to add some magnesium oxide or carbonate to compensate.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

BTW, are we still concerned about carnitine getting metabolized to TMAO by the gut flora and leading to atherosclerosis issues?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alcar, indigestion, heartburn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users