• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Which supplements to take & which to avoid to promote weight loss/autophagy? Also possible medication interactions

diet health weight loss forskolin

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CSteez

• 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:05 AM

Greetings this is my first post.

I have been researching ketosis & intermittent fasting for a while & I intend to start both soon. I have already started 16-8 fasting. In the past I have used the warrior diet & the vlc diet to lose weight the wrong way. I want to do things right & make this a lifestlye & get as much health benefits as I can. I have already lost about 100 lbs & have done the same 3 previous times in my lifetime but this time I want to keep going & be healthy, not skinny fat. Thus I discovered ketosis/intermittent fasting & most importantly autophagy.

I plan to start & I want to try to get the full benefits of the diet. Which brings me to my concerns, I take 3 medications & several supplements.
One of them is forskolin & after researching I discovered that forskolin prevents autophagy? The reason I found out is because when reading about autophagy I learned about its relationship with cAMP & remembered that forskolin affects cAMP. I googled it & found that it inhibits autophagy.

I do not remember all the supplements I take because a few are a combination of several in one bottle but I am afraid that taking them might halt or alter my body getting the most benefits of the diet.
I am debating wether to stop them completely or just try it out & see how it goes. I am wondering if anybody has had a experience or knows of certain supplements I should avoid & if there are any that would help.
I can list them when I get home as I am on my phone but it’s several. The medication I take are adderral, zoloft & a anti anxiety medication that I can’t remember right now.

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,146 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

Hi CSteez, & welcome to the forum.  

I don't have personal experience with weight loss, but my entire family is obese & I've known one obese friend who got slender & stayed that way for over 10 years now.  

My friend Juan (Cuban) was 350+ easy, & slimmed down to less than 200 over a year or so.  I've known him for 30 years and he's the only obese person I've ever known that has kept his weight off.  He said he did this through having a light protein breakfast (eggs, toast and coffee), and a portion controlled lunch & dinner of what ever he liked, but absolutely nothing caloric in between meals.  He also walked a mile or so every day.  He said it was better to have a smaller portion of something he liked than to try and eat unsatisfying "health/diet" food.  

I'm not well read on supplements to avoid, but have noticed polyunsaturated fat (vegetable oils & fish oils) have a nasty reputation for being particularly fattening.  Saturated fats, not so much.  High fructose corn syrup is also a no-brainer.  Avoid this like the plague!  

I've been experimenting with intermittent fasting myself, but can't get much past 18 hours.  More isn't always better...  The best plan is something you can live with for the long haul.  

I really don't know that tweaking your supplement stack would have much effect on weight loss.  Cutting carbs, portion control and avoiding ANY snacking/caloric intake between meals is what helped my friend Juan lose weight and keep it off.  

Hope you get some more input, & best of luck to you! 

Edited by Dorian Grey, 11 January 2018 - 07:54 AM.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diet, health, weight loss, forskolin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users