• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is pycnogenol the same thing as pine bark extract?

pycnogenol pine bark extract

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nooguyz

• 83 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

I know one is a brand name, but are the effects the same? I mean, pine bark extract is a lot cheaper than pycnogenol after all...

Anyone has experience with both?

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

What does it do to neurotransmitters anyway? I have 40 mg "pine bark extract" in a botanical blend I take but to my understanding it's mostly a vasodilator and an antioxidant.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nooguyz

• Topic Starter
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

What does it do to neurotransmitters anyway? I have 40 mg "pine bark extract" in a botanical blend I take but to my understanding it's mostly a vasodilator and an antioxidant.

I've read some research that it reduces the amount of dopamine and epinephrine excrete in urine, so I presume it works as MAOI in some way. There isn't much more research about it regarding this that I could find though, at least conducting my preliminary research. The research I am referring to was related to kids with ADHD through enhancing concentration and increasing their attention span. The dose used there, was, I think 100mg. And the research was done using pycnogenol, not pine bark extract, although some places say it's the same thing, others say it's not. I'd assume it is, as pycnogenol is basically pines from the coast of France, whereas "pine bark extract" can be from anywhere I suppose, but I don't think the location would make that much of a difference.

#4 Oakman

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

"Pycnogenol is a patented formulation of Pine Bark Extract which is standardized to 65-75% Procyanidin compounds by weight."

Patent holder Horphag Research

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 nooguyz

• Topic Starter
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:07 PM

Well, theoretically you could just increase the dosage if the percentage of procyanidin is lower in Pine Bark Extract. I am more interested in the effects or any other active ingredients, since all the studies were done with Pycnogenol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pycnogenol, pine bark extract

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users