Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

"500 club" 500mg of trans-resveratrol per day

• Please log in to reply
1708 replies to this topic

#1651 tom_is_tom

• 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> 52 years old, 190 lbs 6'2" - I dropped 10 lbs within 3 weeks after beginning a regiment of 500mg RV 5 times a week m-f. A persistent problem with mine gums has subsided and my teeth (as crazy at it sounds) feel stronger. My rocket is alive and overall health much better. I walk, exercise and eat right. Breaking on the weekend and have a pizza and a beer. Back to the regiment once Monday arrives.

[quote name='SirtuinInvestor' date='Sep 23 2009, 08:17 AM' post='348792']
I haven't visited this forum in a while but I've been taking 250mg daily for over 2 years. I'm 50 years old, 6'0" and weigh 185lbs, 10lbs less than when I first started taking RV. It is impossible to isolate whether RV has helped me but I contnue taking it, along with fish oil, vitamin D, glucosamine chondrotin, cholesterol off and a multi vitamin. I can say that every time I see someone that I haven't seen in a while, they enthusiastically proclaim how incredibly fit and young I look. Of course, it helps that I still play basketball twice a week, hit the gym twice a week and play tennis a few times a month. Who knows?

#1652 stevei

• 18 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

If you want another way to estimate VO2Max, then a formula I have seen is

VO2max = 12 * (5 minute power to weight ratio) + 3.3

My best ever 5 minute power output on a bike is 361W, and I weighed 70.6kg on that day, so that gives me a VO2Max of 3.3 + 12 x 361 / 70.6 = 64.7, and I am a pretty decent athlete compared to the majority of the population.

If you don't have access to a bike with a power meter fitted, you might have access to a Concept 2 rowing machine in the gym? These can display your power output, so you can set it up for 5 minutes, row at the fastest speed you can sustain for that time, and see what your average power output was at the end and work it out from there.

I'm personally very sceptical of sub-maximal tests. An indirect maximal effort test like I've described above is bad enough because it assumes all people's bodies have the same efficiency, but at least it is using maximal effort to determine VO2Max. A sub-maximal test is adding an extra assumption about your max heart rate vs sub-maximal heart rate, and this relationship could easily change over the years in the absence of any genuine change in VO2Max.

To be honest, it's probably better to just track a measure of maximal effort performance, e.g. time to row 2km on a Concept 2, or time to run a particular distance on the treadmill. Even then, you could improve without an improvement in VO2Max if resveratrol improves the efficiency of the body so that it can do more with the same amount of oxygen. However I would personally be totally happy if that were the mechanism for my performance improvement, as I would guess that such an efficiency improvement may increase longevity.

To give an example for myself, in late 2005, before I ever took resveratrol, there is a particular hill climb I did on the bike that took me 11:45. This year I did it in 8:31. Unfortunately I have no idea how much of this improvement was brought about by resveratrol vs other factors.

Edited by stevei, 17 October 2009 - 11:46 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1653 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

Bump.

#1654 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

I'm no longer taking with alcohol because I'm concerned about possible cancerous effects of leaving alcohol in my mouth that long. I just hold the powder under my tongue.

#1655 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:06 PM

I think that method may be over-rated in terms of absorbtion. Pragmatic thinking says; regular ingestion of high purity Resveratrol in adequate doses will maintain systemic levels. Using the pre-emulsified capsule and combining it with a mixture of creatine, whey, glutamine and a scoop of micronized Resveratrol powder mixed in a glass of juice, more than likely will assure its getting into your system. Even if its only 3 times a week. Its a little over 500 mgs a day, Ive been taking it that way for some time now alternating juice and water as the mixer JMO

Edited by 2tender, 02 November 2009 - 11:14 PM.

#1656 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

Bump!

This is an amazing thread. I suggest new folks consider taking their time and reading some of it.
This thread has classic resveratrol information compiled close to 3 years!

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 23 April 2010 - 03:04 PM.

#1657 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

Im bumping this up for the sole reason of finding people that are currently taking Resveratrol and have been using it with good result. Ive been taking it regularly for well over a year with obvious (at least in my mind) benefit. How many people are consistently taking it and plan to continue taking it? Amount of time using it, dosages, anything relevant would be appreciated. I want to make sure my perceived benefits are not placebo and that others are experiencing similar or same effects. Thanks!

#1658 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:00 AM

I'm still taking it every day, except when taking cyclostragenol. I've been taking it since 2007 and previously reported results on this Topic. I currently take a well-known "250 mg Pure Micronized Trans-Resveratrol liquid" product before breakfast and then before bedtime I dissolve 1/8 teaspoon of 99% non-micronized powder in a little brandy, swirl until milky, and then add an once or two of liqueur or flavored brandy and swirl until transparent.

Edited by unglued, 24 November 2010 - 06:14 AM.

#1659 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:38 AM

I'm still taking it every day, except when taking cyclostragenol. I've been taking it since 2007 and previously reported results on this Topic. I currently take a well-known "250 mg Pure Micronized Trans-Resveratrol liquid" product before breakfast and then before bedtime I dissolve 1/8 teaspoon of 99% non-micronized powder in a little brandy, swirl until milky, and then add an once or two of liqueur or flavored brandy and swirl until transparent.

What are the beneficial effects you attribute to your supplementation? I assume you have noticed some, or you would not still be using resveratrol. Any negative effects?

Edited by maxwatt, 26 November 2010 - 08:37 PM.

• like x 1

#1660 longevitynow

• 266 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:19 AM

Sethian1: "I eliminated all of the medications except for one that I found had the unique effect of reducing the calcium in atherosclerotic plaques."

What are you taking that reduced the calcium in your plaques and how do you know that to be true?

#1661 openeyes

• 120 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:52 AM

Just a quick note:

In the December issue of Wired magazine Tim Ferriss, being interviewed about his book Four Hour Body, mentions the Immortality Institute forums as the best source of info on resveratrol, particularly the "500 club".

Edited by openeyes, 25 November 2010 - 05:53 AM.

#1662 Kimberlie

• 22 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:16 PM

No chance anyone is going to be doing bloodwork around this level of supplementation, is there?

My husband takes the Pure and Healthy resveratrol. He takes 1000mg per day. He is soon to be 57 years old. He has his blood work done every three months. We are discovering resveratrol to be helping control his diseases tremendously. My husband is (was) a full diabetic with no insulin injections, he has atrial fibrilation and vascular failure. He has had both saphenous veins removed from his legs and his circulation is (was) terrible. 4 years ago they put him on "warfarin". 2 months ago, they took him off and he does not have to go back on. He has been under Dr. supervision for resveratrol use now for almost a year. I just keeps getting better and better. He is down to only taking 10mg of glucotrol with an A1c of 5.4. He is doing exponentially well with Pure and Healthy's resveratrol. I am under the impression that even the doctor is impressed. He calls my husband his experiment. We love the changes that resveratrol has made in our lives.

I do go on........was there anything in particular that you wanted to know, I still have his results paperwork from the last appt.?
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#1663 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:17 AM

It would only be usefull if you have before and after (use of Resveratrol) results.

#1664 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:37 AM

My husband takes the Pure and Healthy resveratrol. He takes 1000mg per day. He is soon to be 57 years old. He has his blood work done every three months. We are discovering resveratrol to be helping control his diseases tremendously. My husband is (was) a full diabetic with no insulin injections, he has atrial fibrilation and vascular failure. He has had both saphenous veins removed from his legs and his circulation is (was) terrible. 4 years ago they put him on "warfarin". 2 months ago, they took him off and he does not have to go back on. He has been under Dr. supervision for resveratrol use now for almost a year. I just keeps getting better and better. He is down to only taking 10mg of glucotrol with an A1c of 5.4. He is doing exponentially well with Pure and Healthy's resveratrol. I am under the impression that even the doctor is impressed. He calls my husband his experiment. We love the changes that resveratrol has made in our lives.

I do go on........was there anything in particular that you wanted to know, I still have his results paperwork from the last appt.?

Hi Kimberlie, thanks for posting. Is he taking the P&H micronized product? I haven't heard of this company until now, but they are breaking new ground in pricing of a micronized high purity resveratrol product. If they match the quality assurance of RevGenetics, then it's a very good value. How's your husband feeling these days? Any unwanted side effects? How's his endurance? Does he exercise? That's a pretty darn good A1c!
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#1665 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

He has been under Dr. supervision for resveratrol use now for almost a year. I just keeps getting better and better. He is down to only taking 10mg of glucotrol with an A1c of 5.4. He is doing exponentially well with Pure and Healthy's resveratrol. I am under the impression that even the doctor is impressed. He calls my husband his experiment. We love the changes that resveratrol has made in our lives.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think they have been around that long Kimberlie... what product was he taking before ?
I am glad Resveratrol is making a difference, and wish you the best.

I think one of our own products has Micronized resveratrol, BioCurcumin, Quercetin, and Polydatin (The precursor to trans-resveratrol)... for about $10 (if you buy 5 at a time)...
However if you are a paying member of Imminst.org... please go here for a (Member Single Bottle Code).

It really pays to be a member of this non-profit group. Go here to become a member today (http://www.imminst.org/join/)

Prices do appear to be lower, and I believe in December, some other prices will drop as well.
It is great to be able to provide micronized resveratrol at better pricing, and have it at the reach of many more people.

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 27 November 2010 - 07:35 PM.

• like x 1

#1666 Kimberlie

• 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

Hi Kimberlie, thanks for posting. Is he taking the P&H micronized product? I haven't heard of this company until now, but they are breaking new ground in pricing of a micronized high purity resveratrol product. If they match the quality assurance of RevGenetics, then it's a very good value. How's your husband feeling these days? Any unwanted side effects? How's his endurance? Does he exercise? That's a pretty darn good A1c!

He is feeling better than he has in years. I attribute alot of that to the fact that he is no longer on warfarin. My husband works in a mill and he works hard so his endurance has always been extraordinary, we have seen no extra endurance, but a great increase in general feelings of well being. He is not overweight, but has a terrible family heredity for diabetes, so we are excited about the numbers. He has had diabetes II since 2001 and we have tried numerous things to drive his numbers down. We become more and more impressed with Resveratrol every day as do our doctors. No side effects so far and yes he is taking micronized resveratrol from P&H.

On a personal note for myself, I have excessive energy and I would like to blame resveratrol. I no longer have trouble getting out of bed in the morning. Sleeping in does not exist for me anymore. I wake up and feel like getting moving. I am excited and want to tell everyone that I know that I believe resveratrol to be the dietary supplement of the 21st century.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#1667 Kimberlie

• 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:38 PM

He has been under Dr. supervision for resveratrol use now for almost a year. I just keeps getting better and better. He is down to only taking 10mg of glucotrol with an A1c of 5.4. He is doing exponentially well with Pure and Healthy's resveratrol. I am under the impression that even the doctor is impressed. He calls my husband his experiment. We love the changes that resveratrol has made in our lives.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think they have been around that long Kimberlie... what product was he taking before ?
I am glad Resveratrol is making a difference, and wish you the best.

I think one of our own products has Micronized resveratrol, BioCurcumin, Quercetin, and Polydatin (The precursor to trans-resveratrol)... for about $10 (if you buy 5 at a time)...
However if you are a paying member of Imminst.org... please go here for a (Member Single Bottle Code).

It really pays to be a member of this non-profit group. Go here to become a member today (http://www.imminst.org/join/)

Prices do appear to be lower, and I believe in December, some other prices will drop as well.
It is great to be able to provide micronized resveratrol at better pricing, and have it at the reach of many more people.

Cheers
A

Thank you, Anthony, for your well wishing, it is greatly appreciated :-D . Resveratrol is making a difference in our lives and we can use all the well wishing that we can get. God bless you.

Yes, P & H has been around that long even though they opened their doors officially in December of 09'.
Take care and thanks again for your wishes.

#1668 Kimberlie

• 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

malbecman

Putting what you've said into perspective

Optimally - We should use RSV on an empty stomach

Most of the members on the board take fish oil so perhaps an independent dose of fish oil or another oil base (Lecithin,vitamin E?)

(Fish Oil, E, Lecithin, RSV combo!)

So RSV on an empty stomach with an oil base would be the closest to optimal we can get

(- minus anyone who would experiment with an IV or another method)

BTW - I had a roommate in college who was working on DNA - He spent 3-4 hours a day artificially inseminating mice for his proffessor... He had a god complex - it definately brought him back down to earth

I take Pure and Healthy's micronized resveratrol, arctic fish oils (guaranteed mercury free) and my liquid Vitamin D all in the morning on an empty stomach. I believe that your body uses more of these items if on an empty stomach. :|o

#1669 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:36 AM

Yes, P & H has been around that long even though they opened their doors officially in December of 09'.

Do you represent P&H or are employed by them?
It appears you know a lot regarding the company.

A

#1670 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:27 AM

What are the beneficial effects you attribute to your supplementation?

Nothing to add to my earlier posts, e.g. #1510 and #1512.

I assume you have noticed some, or you would not still be using resveratrol.

Not necessarily; I could just be hopeful because of the animal studies, although those have been contradictory these last few years.

#1671 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

What are the beneficial effects you attribute to your supplementation?

Nothing to add to my earlier posts, e.g. #1510 and #1512.

I assume you have noticed some, or you would not still be using resveratrol.

Not necessarily; I could just be hopeful because of the animal studies, although those have been contradictory these last few years.

Disappointing on life extension in mice, but still encouraging for treating age-related sarcopenia, and for treating psteo-arthritis.

#1672 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

Upon looking at it further, I see that P&H has a Multi-Level Marketing arm. It's based in Oregon, perhaps coincidentally where Kimberlie is from. Maybe nothing, but gushing reviews in this context raise viral marketing flags.

#1673 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

I can't believe this thread is still alive. :)

#1674 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:14 AM

A

Thanks Kimberlie for stating that you are in fact the office manager for P&H here:
http://www.imminst.o...post__p__443845

As a commercial vendor and possible advertiser you need to read and understand the following:
http://www.imminst.o...rcial-presence/

Thank you
A

#1675 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

Here is a review that I noticed in my weekly Google Alert for "resveratrol". It's neither from a medical journal, exactly, nor from the popular press, but from Dynamic Chiropractic – August 12, 2011, Vol. 29, Issue 17.

The author (an herbalist) concludes

Based on these studies, an effective long-term human dose for resveratrol probably ranges from 10 to 120 mg/day. While higher doses up to 200 mg/day could be considered where the need exists, doses beyond this limit might not only be unnecessary, but could also prove to be unsafe with prolonged usage.

Meanwhile, the authors of a large scientific review mentioned on another topic in this forum concluded that there's not yet enough clinical evidence for safety or efficacy in humans to support a recommendation that people take more than about 4 mg/day resveratrol, although they find the animal studies very promising and the limited clinical testing encouraging.
  • like x 1

#1676 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

An Herbalist?

A
  • like x 4

#1677 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:42 AM

Here is a review that I noticed in my weekly Google Alert for "resveratrol". It's neither from a medical journal, exactly, nor from the popular press, but from Dynamic Chiropractic – August 12, 2011, Vol. 29, Issue 17.

The author (an herbalist) concludes

Based on these studies, an effective long-term human dose for resveratrol probably ranges from 10 to 120 mg/day. While higher doses up to 200 mg/day could be considered where the need exists, doses beyond this limit might not only be unnecessary, but could also prove to be unsafe with prolonged usage.

Meanwhile, the authors of a large scientific review mentioned on another topic in this forum concluded that there's not yet enough clinical evidence for safety or efficacy in humans to support a recommendation that people take more than about 4 mg/day resveratrol, although they find the animal studies very promising and the limited clinical testing encouraging.

I feel unsafe.
My RES Dose has been 2,000 milligrams per day for a couple years.
Anyone else feel unsafe? :cool:

#1678 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:04 AM

Since I've been posting results of treadmill tests (VO2max) on this Topic since 2007 -- including before and after figures, since I've been doing those since 2004, well before starting resveratrol -- I thought I would share this more definitive data:

I recently had an actual medical treadmill cardiac stress test, measuring heart rate, blood pressure, and EKG (plus an ultrasound before and after the stress test). Sorry, no pre-resveratrol data to compare against; my HMO only does these on doctor's orders. Just an absolute datapoint you can compare against my pre- and post-resveratrol VO2max scores if you want, which were very good to start with and got better.

Notably, my last three heart rate readings were 184 (after one minute at 5 mph [8 kph] and 18% grade), 199 (after two minutes at 5 mph and 18% grade), and 174 (when I called it quits after 45 seconds at 5.5 mph and 20% grade). That compares well with my age-predicted maximum HR of 169 according to the commonly-used rule of thumb of 220 minus age, and Wikipedia's Heat rate article calls this "the most accurate way of measuring" maximum heart rate.

I do walk and bike and take stairs routinely, but I've seen fitness advice claim that the maximum HR can't be improved by training. (Although maybe that's different than "can't be preserved by training".) The cardiologist said max HR is really a bell curve. Wikipedia's Heat rate article mentions a study of different formulas, the most reliable of which predicts 170.8 for me, with a standard deviation of 6.4 bpm, which makes my two highest readings 2.0 and 4.3 standard deviations better than average. Which is great, although I like the sound of "your heart is effective 21 years old" better, because it makes me hope some of my other tissues are too.

Unfortunately for this discussion, I have no way of telling whether I was always that far out on the bell curve and whether it was improved by supplements. The only before and after datapoints I have are the VO2max measurements I was able to make myself, which started out great and improved after adding resveratrol to my other supplements (which include CoQ10, in amounts I haven't really tracked). The ultrasound showed no anomalies such as valve leakage or athletic heart syndrome, and that my heart was pumping very well.

"Resting" HR at start of test was 105, but I've measured it as low as 59 at home; the exercise of biking to the facility would have raised it for hours, in my experience. During the recovery phase of the test, lying down, it dropped to 160 after one minute and leveled off at 116 after 4 minutes. There's various other data I could post on request.

Current regimen: For the last couple of years I've been on 250 mg/day of emulsified micronized resveratrol in the morning, and then some alcohol-dissolved powder in the evening that varies from a few to maybe 125 mg.
  • like x 1

#1679 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:28 AM

One more number: they calculated "15-16 MET" from the data, which according to a web page I found can be converted to a VO2max, the number I've been measuring for years (except this is a true maximal test and the ones in the gym are submaximal tests that estimate VO2max). It's still a lowerbound, since I subjectively decides when I couldn't continue and I might have been able to push myself for another minute.

If I multiply by 3.5, I get 52.5 to 56, which is lower than most of the figures I was getting in my submaximal tests, but still superior for a male of any age over 20 (I'm 51). Here's an example of my submaximal results.

as for the wildly high numbers I've been getting lately on the 3.4 mph Startrac treadmill test, I'm approaching the low end of that on the Gerkin test as I reduce the age I claim. I think I've now got it about right: I found I was nearly exhausted and was breathing fairly hard when it cut off at a heat rate of 171. It uses the usual 220-age formula, which means I had to say I was 19 to get it to go until 171 bpm. (At 48, closer to 49, that's supposed to be about 100% of my maximum attainable heart rate, but it felt like what I'm told 85% should feel like, so I'm happy about that.) It estimated my VO2 Max to be 71.1. I've also gotten scores of 64.9 and 67.7 from the milder Ebbeling test by saying I was 18.

Unfortunately, the only treadmill that I used both pre and post resveratrol was the Startrac, which based on the way all the other tests are designed, I now believe is expected to cut out before it reaches its full 12 minutes, and may not be designed at estimating people at the high end. I think what this more definitive stress test reveals is that the machine wasn't out of wack, but 3.4mph at 12 degrees is not enough to give a good extrapolation for someone who would actually max out at 5.5mph at 20 degrees. But here are those results again:

* My VO2 max measurements these past few weeks have averaged around 70.
-- The lowest I've seen recently is 56 and I think one broke 80.
-- Average heart rate during the test is still often low, like 107, but occasionally as high as it used to be (120).
Compare these to what I reported in my first post, after about six months at low dose:

... My VO2 max, as measured by an automated treadmill at the gym, has always been absurdly high, like in the 50's (averages 90th percentile -- if I were a teenager) since I started measuring it in 2004, and I think it's been a little higher recently, ranging from 56 to 71.

In late May. after my first post-resveratrol blood test, I raised my dose to 5 mg/kg/day, and for the past month or two I've been taking 7 or 8 mg/kg/day.

So the originally absurdly high figures at age 44 seem to be confirmed by my stress test at age 51. When the same machines started giving higher readings after resveratrol, either they'd gone out of whack at about the time I started taking it, or they were measuring a real change, but probably overestimating. Or maybe their readings were always inflated, and when my scores were in the 50's they were really much more normal, and the scores of 70 to occasionally 100+ really reflected true scores in the mid-50's. I don't know. But I do think I have some (not-very-solid) data that shows an improvement in the year I started taking resveratrol and that it may be a factor in it being so high now.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1680 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

I feel unsafe.
My RES Dose has been 2,000 milligrams per day for a couple years.
Anyone else feel unsafe? :cool:

Me too, I feel horribly unsafe and unwell (cough, cough...) :-D
  • like x 1

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users