• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

death count

comparisons genocide aging grim reaper death death total death bed individual

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:11 PM

Here are the lowest estimates on some of the largest atrocious death counts in history:
  • Mongolian Conquests: 30 million
  • Holocaust: 5 million
  • European Colinization of the Americas: 2 million
  • Cambodian Genocide: 1.7 million
  • Crusades: 1 million
As we can see, that is a lot of people.

The total on the above death counts is 39.7 million deaths, that’s 39,700,000 dead.

The annual world death count is more than 60 million people. That’s 60,000,000 people every single year. That is the population of the United States every 5 years. Everybody in the United States dies every 5 years, comparatively. That is all of Europe every 15 years, and all of Africa every 20 years.

And those large numbers aren't even the bad part. The bad part is the every 1 of them that dies. Every one of them is the vanishing of a universe. Every single one individual death is an atrocious holocaust of opportunity. We might call it the opportunitycaust?

So every decade, death take more than 10 times the amount of all of those historical atrocities combined.

Genghis Khan, Hitler, all of the American settlers, Pol Pot and God couldn’t even kill that many people,

and death doesn't let up, it is unrelenting. It isn’t the 4 or the 10 or the 30 years war. It is the since-the-beginning-of-human-existence war. The others, though extraordinarily horrible, are petty skirmishes by comparison.

So for all the massacre, even the entire death toll from aging and everything else since the beginning of time doesn’t hold the record.

The record holder for the largest level of massacre belongs to the death of every one individual.

The opportunity cost in the loss of just one person’s indefinite lifespan is greater than the opportunity that every person that has ever lived and died since the beginning of time, combined, had.

Every single person's death is the most atrocious massacre in the history of time.

Posted Image

Edited by brokenportal, 21 October 2011 - 01:13 AM.

#2 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

Very interesting and horrifying statistic. This could perhaps form part of some sort of campaign leaflet like what the religious folk give out. Just a thought (probably a crap one at that).

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

I think it's good to help spread these types of notions, and the 100 other incisive concepts that help cut through the current culture of indefinite life extension inattentiveness. Talking about it here, referring people to this or any of the others, etc. helps people think about ways to get through. There are a lot of people that dont know what to say, that arent sure what approaches to take. I hear examples of people struggling for things like this all the time. I used to face that same challenge many years ago.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:11 AM

Here are the lowest estimates on some of the largest atrocious death counts in history:

• Mongolian Conquests: 30 million
  • Holocaust: 5 million
  • European Colinization of the Americas: 2 million
  • Cambodian Genocide: 1.7 million
  • Crusades: 1 million
As we can see, that is a lot of people.

The total on the above death counts is 39.7 million deaths, that’s 39,700,000 dead.

The annual world death count is more than 60 million people. That’s 60,000,000 people every single year. That is the population of the United States every 5 years. Everybody in the United States dies every 5 years, comparatively. That is all of Europe every 15 years, and all of Africa every 20 years.

And those large numbers aren't even the bad part. The bad part is the every 1 of them that dies. Every one of them is the vanishing of a universe. Every single one individual death is an atrocious holocaust of opportunity. We might call it the opportunitycaust?

So every decade, death take more than 10 times the amount of all of those historical atrocities combined.

Genghis Khan, Hitler, all of the American settlers, Pol Pot and God couldn’t even kill that many people,

and death doesn't let up, it is unrelenting. It isn’t the 4 or the 10 or the 30 years war. It is the since-the-beginning-of-human-existence war. The others, though extraordinarily horrible, are petty skirmishes by comparison.

So for all the massacre, even the entire death toll from aging and everything else since the beginning of time doesn’t hold the record.

The record holder for the largest level of massacre belongs to the death of every one individual.

The opportunity cost in the loss of just one person’s indefinite lifespan is greater than the opportunity that every person that has ever lived and died since the beginning of time, combined, had.

Every single person's death is the most atrocious massacre in the history of time.

Posted Image

So you're are saying that if a single person were to have an indefinite lifespan the amount of things he/she could accomplish would be far greater than all of the people who have died combined who did not have an indefinite lifespan? Is that what your trying to say?

I've been thinking of a similar concept myself the last few days. How can anyone rationalize that the death of 100 people is worse than the death of 1? The way I see it when you apply the concept of negative numbers to death once your in negative territory it's all the same whether it's negative 1 or negative 100000.

#5 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:37 AM

Each person feels more loss than we perceive is lost in an atrocious massacre. A horrible massacre makes us feel horrible, and horrified. Each person that goes through death is going through that same scenario, on a personal level, and the tragedy they feel is much more intense than the feeling we feel for those other massacres.

To think of it in a simpler way, every persons death is a Hiroshima in a bottle. Its that bad for them, and it is happening thousands of times an hour.

I was thinking about the choice between more or less lives the other day too. Its a different topic, but I was talking about the balance between potential civilian casualties and the ongoing murderous tyranny of a regime. For example, if a gunman is walking through a crowd unloading a few automatic guns with 100 round clips, and you have a gun, you should shoot at that guy, if you hit a civilian and kill them by accident, you will still have saved other lives.

#6 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

Each person feels more loss than we perceive is lost in an atrocious massacre. A horrible massacre makes us feel horrible, and horrified. Each person that goes through death is going through that same scenario, on a personal level, and the tragedy they feel is much more intense than the feeling we feel for those other massacres.

To think of it in a simpler way, every persons death is a Hiroshima in a bottle. Its that bad for them, and it is happening thousands of times an hour.

I was thinking about the choice between more or less lives the other day too. Its a different topic, but I was talking about the balance between potential civilian casualties and the ongoing murderous tyranny of a regime. For example, if a gunman is walking through a crowd unloading a few automatic guns with 100 round clips, and you have a gun, you should shoot at that guy, if you hit a civilian and kill them by accident, you will still have saved other lives.

Another way to put it would be that a horrible massacre(like the Holocaust or the Rwandan genocide for example) makes everyone see the true horror of death. A single individual going through the horrible process of aging and death at the end of their life is personally living the horror of death but the main difference being that nobody else know's what they're really going through as it's not as explicit as a massacre. Hence the "Hiroshima" in a bottle(as it's self contained in a "bottle"). What's worse is that it happens everyday. Why should anyone have to experience the horror of "Hiroshima" in their life? The equivalence of the horrors of Hiroshima/the holocaust/Rwandan Genocide is happening everyday to many of the earths citizens and we all turn our blind/ignorant eye away from it.

The main cause of the pro-aging trance or apathy towards life extension is that most people don't truly know the horror of death. Most people only experience it at the end of their lives when they know the end is near. Then of course it's too late for them to find out about the cause and help cure aging.
  • like x 1

#7 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

Yes, and then additionally, there was a max age that everybody in the past that went through a tragedy, would have lived to had they not gone through a tragedy. If a person that has the chance for indefinite life extension misses that chance, then the experience they could have had is more than all of the people of the past combined.

#8 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:18 PM

The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic.
Joseph Stalin

#9 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

It's another ridiculously long shot but wouldn't it be great if we could have groups touring educational establishments/towns talking about the true horrors of aging?
  • like x 1

#10 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

It's another ridiculously long shot but wouldn't it be great if we could have groups touring educational establishments/towns talking about the true horrors of aging?

If I had the money I would start setting it up today. We would start looking into having people rally, tour schools, conferences, events, hospitals, old folks homes etc. Ideally, from what I see we would get a tour bus, or two, or many and design one or more with an indefinite life extension theme to try to attract more media attention. We could look into hiring a campaign manager, work out the details and get the show on the road.
  • like x 2

#11 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

If I had the money I would start setting it up today. We would start looking into having people rally, tour schools, conferences, events, hospitals, old folks homes etc. Ideally, from what I see we would get a tour bus, or two, or many and design one or more with an indefinite life extension theme to try to attract more media attention. We could look into hiring a campaign manager, work out the details and get the show on the road.

That would be a brilliant idea! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: comparisons, genocide, aging, grim reaper, death, death total, death bed, individual

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users