• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone taken Lion's Mane for an extended period?

alcar

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TheBlackCat

• 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

I searched on the board and saw some people starting a stack, but never saw anything about after results. That might have to do with the six month period before noticeable effects, though. Also, what about ALCAR/Lion's mane supplementation? If ALCAR increases the effect a hundred fold(man, what a ridiculous number) does that mean it works some significant amount faster?

If say, I have Lion's Mane coming, but no ALCAR, would it even be worth it to take it without trying to order some ALCAR first?

#2 Introspecta

• 622 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

I'm interested to know to. Lion's Mane is suppose to be another one of those supplements that causes dendrite growth I believe. Sorry to get your hopes up with this comment but I hope someone jumps on this thread with experience

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

. Your body does what Lion Mane's does when you are studying hard. You should get some other nooptropic such as ALCAR to increase NGF.

#4 JD.

• 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

ME!

I took Lion's Mane mycelium extract (Myco Essentials) + ALCAR + ALA + 5 HTP + everyday for about a 2 month period in the fall, my goal was to enhance neurogenesis as much as possible to assist in memory. I also fasted every morning until 4pm in order to maximize BDNF.

I didn't notice anything ....let me qualify.
I consider myself a pretty sharp guy and I definitely remained very sharp while on lions mane. I went into this experiment determined to boost my academic productivity at all costs and though I achieved a lot of what I wanted to do, I can't pinpoint any feeling of enhanced cognition. I am pretty familiar with the short term effects of piracetam and didn't notice any similar effects of clear-headedness from the lions mane or ALCAR, I actually noticed that too much ALCAR (>1g) made me feel cloudy. As for memory, I couldn't help myself from testing myself a lot more than usual, for instance, by trying to remember the content of a lecture I had taken a couple of days ago. My recall subjectively seemed better, although It may have been placebo or the fact that I was diving into my studies more, partly aided by the belief that these supplements were helping me. I didn't see any change in mood and certainly none of the fantastic effects other people have reported, I felt the same most of the time and in the end saw no change in school performance.

I think you should go ahead with the lions mane but I wouldn't worry too much about the ALCAR. I'm suspicious of the link between ALCAR and neurogenesis/memory anyway, I think it has the most promise in preventing age related decline of neuronal mitochondiral function.
  • like x 1

#5 TheBlackCat

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Thanks! That's just the kind of reply I was looking for.

#6 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

The problem I get with Lion's Mane, and why I don't take it that often, is "Day Resets". They are pretty harmless but a bit psychologically disconcerting. Basically what happens is that on days that I take Lion's Mane it feels like the day lasts for a week with various parts of the day seeming like completely separate days.
  • like x 2

#7 Introspecta

• 622 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:30 AM

Thats a pretty shitty side effect. So it makes time slow down? Well actually that could be could depending on what way you look at it. If your at work and want to pass time no, but if your enjoying something alot it would be good. The way you described sort of sounds like an acid trip or something though. You sure you wern't tripping?

#8 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:44 AM

I like to think that lion's mane together with idebenone promotes NGF & neurogenesis. I defeninitely don't think it's harmful in any way, just don't know if it's worth the $$.
I read reports on people claiming regaining lost feelings and senses, so if they had a magical regrowth, maybe it's fixing less noticeable things in our systems as well?
I doubt it's something to take for very prolonged periods to be honest: a bit taxing on the liver.

Edited by Baten, 12 February 2012 - 06:45 AM.

#9 JD.

• 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

That "Day reset" thing sounds really strange, I never noticed anything like that.

I forgot to mention that lions mane can sometimes make you feel tired/drowsy for an hour or two after dosing, I'm pretty sure other people have noted this as well.

#10 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

The "Day Reset" thing is a bit like when one takes a nap in the middle of the day and one day seems like two separate days except Lion's Mane causes me to have several of these in one day. It's not like tripping. Otherwise everything else is normal except I feel a bit calmer than usual.

Edited by abelard lindsay, 12 February 2012 - 08:09 PM.

• like x 1

#11 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

I like to think that lion's mane together with idebenone promotes NGF & neurogenesis. I defeninitely don't think it's harmful in any way, just don't know if it's worth the $$.
I read reports on people claiming regaining lost feelings and senses, so if they had a magical regrowth, maybe it's fixing less noticeable things in our systems as well?
I doubt it's something to take for very prolonged periods to be honest: a bit taxing on the liver.

try the liquid instead of pills to not hurt your liver i guess. Drops under the tounge is what i use.

#12 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

try the liquid instead of pills to not hurt your liver i guess. Drops under the tounge is what i use.

Don't those just bypass the stomach? I think they still get processed in the liver, no?

#13 kevinseven11

• 385 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

How is lions mane taxing on the liver? Also are there hormonal effects caused by lions mane?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Don't those just bypass the stomach? I think they still get processed in the liver, no?

They get a shot at crossing the BBB first. What stays in the bloodstream after that passes the liver normally, I think.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alcar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users