* * * * * 1 votes

another "alzheimers cure"

alzheimers alzheimers cure ayurvedic bangalore

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 elovefire

• 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Google this....Ayurvedic medicine Bangalore scientists claim breakthrough in Alzheimer’s drug.

Sounds pretty amazing.
  • like x 1

#2 brainslugged

• 305 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Certainly does sound amazing, but I think I will wait for more data before jumping to conclusions. There was also an Indian hospital claiming that they had proved a man could live without eating or drinking and drawing energy from the sun and meditation.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 elovefire

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Yea I hope more data comes soon. Seems like alot of sources reported it and seems like its possibly legit.

#4 Orajel

• 138 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:42 AM

If only I were a mouse...

#5 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:44 AM

So, what's the herb?

http://www.deccanher...alzheimers.html

Even though they have patented the herbal formulation, the scientists do not want to disclose the plant's name.

#6 bug

• 8 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:47 AM

http://www.pnas.org/content/109/9/3510

Withania somnifera reverses Alzheimer's disease pathology by enhancing low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein in liver

Abstract

A 30-d course of oral administration of a semipurified extract of the root of Withania somnifera consisting predominantly of withanolides and withanosides reversed behavioral deficits, plaque pathology, accumulation of β-amyloid peptides (Aβ) and oligomers in the brains of middle-aged and old APP/PS1 Alzheimer's disease transgenic mice. It was similarly effective in reversing behavioral deficits and plaque load in APPSwInd mice (line J20). The temporal sequence involved an increase in plasma Aβ and a decrease in brain Aβ monomer after 7 d, indicating increased transport of Aβ from the brain to the periphery. Enhanced expression of low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein (LRP) in brain microvessels and the Aβ-degrading protease neprilysin (NEP) occurred 14–21 d after a substantial decrease in brain Aβ levels. However, significant increase in liver LRP and NEP occurred much earlier, at 7 d, and were accompanied by a rise in plasma sLRP, a peripheral sink for brain Aβ. In WT mice, the extract induced liver, but not brain, LRP and NEP and decreased plasma and brain Aβ, indicating that increase in liver LRP and sLRP occurring independent of Aβ concentration could result in clearance of Aβ. Selective down-regulation of liver LRP, but not NEP, abrogated the therapeutic effects of the extract. The remarkable therapeutic effect of W. somnifera mediated through up-regulation of liver LRP indicates that targeting the periphery offers a unique mechanism for Aβ clearance and reverses the behavioral deficits and pathology seen in Alzheimer's disease models.

Apparently the experiment was replicated at McGill University in Canada:

http://www.telegraph...ry_15077580.jsp

“The results appeared so stunning that we requested an independent laboratory in Canada to validate them,” Ravindranath told The Telegraph. Neurologist Edith Hamel at McGill University in Montreal and fellow researcher Jessica Mills repeated the experiments with a different model mouse and obtained similar results.

• like x 1

#7 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Ashwagandha??

So that type of ginseng reverses AD...

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Possibly metabolically similar to the apolipoprotein E research here?

Both of these are mouse studies. Don't get too excited.

#9 wowser

• 95 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

Mmmmmm... i tried ashwagandha once and it gave me wicked palpitations...

#10 elovefire

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

i dont know the herb. i wish i knew. here is were i found it first http://www2f.biglobe.../others103.html scroll down and see all the other cures/trials.

#11 bug

• 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

Elovefire see my post above. Its Withania somnifera aka Ashwagandha. The dose was 1g per kg(in mice) and "consisting predominantly of withanolides and withanosides". It would be interesting to know what percentage of their "semi-purified" aswagandha is withanolides and withanosides". It might be stated in the full paper.

#12 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:32 AM

Methylene Blue already cured Alzheimer in 2009 but it was too cheap and non-patentable for anybody to follow up on.

#13 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

Elovefire see my post above. Its Withania somnifera aka Ashwagandha. The dose was 1g per kg(in mice) and "consisting predominantly of withanolides and withanosides". It would be interesting to know what percentage of their "semi-purified" aswagandha is withanolides and withanosides". It might be stated in the full paper.

The powdered root of W. somnifera obtained from an authenticated source (Arya Vaidya Sala) was serially extracted with chloroform-methanol and dried to remove all traces of the solvent. The residual material, comprising 75% withanolides and 20% withanosides, is referred to as WS extract.

• like x 2

#14 bug

• 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

Wow 95% .... I guess Now brand Ashwagandha with 4.5% isn't going to cut it :)

Thanks for the excerpt sdxl

#15 Gamerzneed

• 71 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

Methylene Blue already cured Alzheimer in 2009 but it was too cheap and non-patentable for anybody to follow up on.

proof please

#16 wowser

• 95 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

proof please

is methylene blue safe??? would it help a booze addled brain like mine???
  • dislike x 1

#17 elovefire

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

95% ! Any idea how to get that percent of AshW ?

And Yea +1 on MB proof, please.

#18 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

There are stacks of papers in the methylene blue threads. From memory, one study found 81% increase in cognition as compared to the control group, in humans.

#19 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

Here is the patent application:

WITHANIA SOMNIFERA PLANT EXTRACT AND METHOD OF PREPARATION THEREOF
United States Patent Application 20110229591

The yield of the extract was about 20 gm per kg of the root powder.

So, assuming a daily dose of 60g for a 60kg human, one needs 3kg (!) of root per day.

But. Here is related paper: Extracting β-amyloid from Alzheimer's disease. The key phrase in the abstract is this:

http://www.pnas.org/.../9/3199.extract

the authors found that treatment with WS induced the expression of low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 1 (LRP1) (5), which carries neuronal Aβ into the periphery. The effects of WS extract were mediated by hepatic LRP1 and soluble LRP1 in the plasma, rather than by brain LRP1, highlighting the potentially dramatic effect of peripheral clearance of Aβ even in the absence of changes in clearance mechanisms in the brain.

According to wiki, it's a is a chaperone protein.

Edited by xEva, 10 March 2012 - 04:23 AM.

#20 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

proof please

Search pubmed and the forums for methylene blue and alzheimers. You will find many studies. If you can't do your own research and come to your own conclusions, you shouldn't bother with anything your doctor didn't tell you to take.

#21 wowser

• 95 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

proof please

+1 on MB proof, please.

Search pubmed and the forums for methylene blue and alzheimers. You will find many studies. If you can't do your own research and come to your own conclusions, you shouldn't bother with anything your doctor didn't tell you to take.

sorry, but i have to agree with gamerzneed and elovefire... you should should always provide accompanying proof to support such a bold claim as "Methylene Blue already cured Alzheimer"... dont be a lazy git... you are seriously telling others to spend their valuable time seeking out proof to support your claim are you? no, no, that just wont do at all sir! so do you have proof or are you just making shit up?
  • like x 1

#22 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

There are actually a couple of 2nd gen MB drugs in human trials now. 'Rember' is one.

http://www.scienceda...80818101335.htm

http://www.alzheimer...eimers.html?m=1

MB acts on many facets of AD and also has longevity applications.

I've seen some other moderate AD / aging dementia reversals over the last 6 months (n=3) with another mitochondrial enhancer. Impressive results.

#23 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

There are huge problems with methylene blue, which is why it's not on the market.

#24 wowser

• 95 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

There are huge problems with methylene blue, which is why it's not on the market.

what are the huge problems with methylene blue please? I was thinking of trying it!

#25 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

what are the huge problems with methylene blue please? I was thinking of trying it!

First of all, think of a ward of incontinent AD patients on that stuff and staining everything blue with their urine. Second, it's a Goldilocks drug that doesn't work if there's too much or too little, and third, you have to keep taking it. Apparently it keeps tau tangles dissolved, but doesn't remove the phosphorylated tau that causes the tangles. I've experimented on myself with the stuff, and I can tell you that it's dangerous to start it and suddenly stop. Within a short period of taking it, I found that I had an unusual mental clarity, but when it wore off, I was worse for the experience, and noticed that I was having difficulty following the plot of a television program. So I tried it again, this time with a high dose of niacin. Niacin is known to lower levels of phosphorylated tau in the brain, and my reasoning was that it would work more efficiently if the tangles were first dissolved. This perhaps worked, at least, it put me back to about where I started. I haven't tried it again, however, as it was annoying to have blue urine for three days.

So why not just use niacin and forget about the horribly messy and potentially dangerous methylene blue? See this web page--

http://bvftd.blogspo...d-dementia.html
  • dislike x 1

#26 elovefire

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

Soo.. xEva is there another way to achieve this result? Like a different chaperone protein?

I'm trying to find something to give my grandpa, like AW but not 3kg's...

#27 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

Soo.. xEva is there another way to achieve this result? Like a different chaperone protein?

I'm trying to find something to give my grandpa, like AW but not 3kg's...

I wish I knew. Wiki says, "LRPAP1 is involved with trafficking of certain members of the LDL receptor family including LRP1 and LRP2. It is a glycoprotein that binds to the alpha-2-macroglobulin receptor, as well as to other members of the low density lipoprotein receptor family. It acts to inhibit the binding of all know ligands for these receptors, and may prevent receptor aggregation and degradation in the endoplasmic reticulum, thereby acting as a molecular chaperone."

Trying to understand all this only got me as far as starting to suspect that LDL, which is universally touted as evil fat responsible for all ills, high levels of which do correlate with development of Alzheimer's, maybe just a symptom of body trying to fix itself. In other words, what if elevated LDL is not the cause but a symptom, or, better yet, a proper physiological response to some pathologies, including Alzheimer's?

I hope someone more knowledgeable about the role of this protein in both, trafficking LDL throughout the body and clearing neuronal Aβ from the brain, can answer this :)

#28 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

The drug cphpc seems promising. (no side- effects!)

Or how about antibodies against alzheimers. (This is actually a potential cure)

#29 wowser

• 95 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

First of all, think of a ward of incontinent AD patients on that stuff and staining everything blue with their urine. Second, it's a Goldilocks drug that doesn't work if there's too much or too little, and third, you have to keep taking it. Apparently it keeps tau tangles dissolved, but doesn't remove the phosphorylated tau that causes the tangles. I've experimented on myself with the stuff, and I can tell you that it's dangerous to start it and suddenly stop. Within a short period of taking it, I found that I had an unusual mental clarity, but when it wore off, I was worse for the experience, and noticed that I was having difficulty following the plot of a television program. So I tried it again, this time with a high dose of niacin. Niacin is known to lower levels of phosphorylated tau in the brain, and my reasoning was that it would work more efficiently if the tangles were first dissolved. This perhaps worked, at least, it put me back to about where I started. I haven't tried it again, however, as it was annoying to have blue urine for three days.

So why not just use niacin and forget about the horribly messy and potentially dangerous methylene blue? See this web page--

http://bvftd.blogspo...d-dementia.html

but excess niacin is neurotoxic... so taking that for long periods isnt a good idea either is it?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

but excess niacin is neurotoxic... so taking that for long periods isnt a good idea either is it?

Theoretically, right? Yet many have taken 3 grams of niacin for decades. See, for instance, what Dr. Hoffer has to say about it--

http://www.doctoryou...cinreviews.html

But when it comes to clearing out phosphorylated tau, using it occasionally might be sufficient. Even a low level niacin intake is associated inversely with Alzheimer's--

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../v075p01093.pdf

Edited by Turnbuckle, 11 March 2012 - 02:03 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alzheimers, alzheimers cure, ayurvedic, bangalore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users