Wine, resveratrol, Olive Oil, tyrosol effects on FoxO gene

wine olive oil tyrosol foxo survival genes

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

...tyrosol and hydroxytyrosol were found to act on SirT, FoxO, and PBEF, all linked with survival genes...

...The most surprising findings in this study was that not only did white wine induce the longevity proteins including SirT1, SirT3, SirT4, and the phosphorylation of FoxO1, FoxO3A in the heart, but also the amounts of the induced proteins were higher than those induced by red wine or resveratrol; the ability to induce anti-aging proteins followed an order: white wine > resveratrol > tyrosol > red wine/hydroxytyrosol. All of these compounds enhanced the survival of the heart through the phosphorylation of the survival protein Akt in the order of resveratrol > red wine > hydroxytyrosol > white wine > tyrosol...
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2820197/

Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) suppresses the expression of FoxO and its target genes!?
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22444500

Akt/FOXO3a/SIRT1 Mediated Cardioprotection by n-Tyrosol against Ischemic Stress in Rat In vivo model of Myocardial Infarction:Switching Gears towards Survival and Longevity
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2648870/

Tyrosol seems to be a large component of Olive oil and forms esters with its fatty acids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrosol

I wonder if this has any bearing on C60oo?

Edited by Logic, 24 November 2012 - 09:05 PM.

#2 sunshinefrost

• 455 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Very interesting ! I will follow the reasearches on this.... FoxO gene, Telomerase and c60oo.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Redrockhwy

• 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Hmm.
White wine is surprising given its just fructose and alcohol.
White wine, fish ( DHA ) and olive oil. The Mediterranean diet.

#4 Marios Kyriazis

• 466 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

White wine contains several substances (antioxidants, etc) and it depends what type of white wine was used. The content differs depending on the grape variety.
  • like x 1

#5 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

NB that
'DHA suppresses the expression of FoxO and its target genes'...!??

Docosahexaenoic acid suppresses the expression of FoxO and its target genes.

Chen YJ, Chen CC, Li TK, Wang PH, Liu LR, Chang FY, Wang YC, Yu YH, Lin SP, Mersmann HJ, Ding ST.

Source

Center for Biotechnology / Department of Animal Science and Technology, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan.

Abstract

Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), an n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid, has previously been shown to ameliorate obesity-associated metabolic syndrome. To decipher the mechanism responsible for the beneficial effects of DHA on energy/glucose homeostasis and the metabolic syndrome, 30 weaned cross-bred pigs were randomly assigned to three groups and fed ad libitum with a standard diet supplemented with 2% of beef tallow, soybean oil or DHA oil for 30 days, and the gene expression profile of various tissues was evaluated by quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction. The DHA-supplemented diets reduced the expression of forkhead box O transcription factor (FoxO) 1 and FoxO3 in the liver and adipose tissue. DHA treatments also decreased the expression of FoxO1 and FoxO3 in human hepatoma cells, SK-HEP-1 and human and porcine primary adipocytes. In addition, DHA also down-regulated FoxO target genes, such as microsomal triacylglycerol transfer protein (MTP), glucose-6-phosphatase, apolipoprotein C-III (apoC-III) and insulin-like growth factor binding-protein 1 in the liver, as well as reduced total plasma levels of cholesterol and triacylglycerol in the pig. Transcriptional suppression of FoxO1, FoxO3, apoC-III and MTP by DHA was further confirmed by reporter assays with each promoter construct. Taken together, our study indicates that DHA modulates lipid and glucose homeostasis in part by down-regulating FoxO function. The down-regulation of genes associated with triacylglycerol metabolism and very low density lipoprotein assembly is likely to contribute to the beneficial effects of DHA on the metabolic syndrome.

#6 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Green tea and FoxO:

http://www.google.co...XO GENES PUBMED

#7 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

"...There are other nutrients, too, that may facilitate the multiple, health-beneficial activities associated with FOXO3A, including resveratrol and N-acetylcysteine..."
http://juvenon.com/jhj/vol7no09w.htm

(just collecting leads for more research)
  • like x 2

#8 DorianGrey

• 152 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:27 AM

"...There are other nutrients, too, that may facilitate the multiple, health-beneficial activities associated with FOXO3A, including resveratrol and N-acetylcysteine..."
http://juvenon.com/jhj/vol7no09w.htm

(just collecting leads for more research)

This means only that antioxidants do a similar job in promoting health, not that the expression of FOXO3A is altered by these substances.

#9 DorianGrey

• 152 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

Hmm.
White wine is surprising given its just fructose and alcohol.
White wine, fish ( DHA ) and olive oil. The Mediterranean diet.

I thought it's red wine. There's a population in Sardine that has long life span and their wine has 3 times more Resveratrol than an average wine. Low stress levels and a good social network aren't hurting either in this community of mostly shepherds.
  • Needs references x 1

#10 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:13 PM

From FOXO3: A Major Gene for Human Longevity - A Mini-Review

'Phytochemicals, including polyphenols, appear to have promise for upregulation of the function of FoxOs. For example, treatment of rats from 5 weeks of age with 25 mg·kg-1 per day of the green tea phytochemical epigallocatenin gallate in drinking water increased sirtuin 1, FoxO3 (by 67-100%), SOD, glutathione peroxidase and lifespan (by 14%), reduced NF-κB, IL-6, TNF-α, ROS, inflammation, oxidative stress in serum, liver and kidney, and protected against organ damage [65]. In a human population, it was shown recently that associations between tea drinking and risk for cognitive disability among the oldest old were dependent upon FOXO genotype, with carriers of FOXO1 SNP rs17630266 and FOXO3 SNPs rs2253319 and rs2802292 displaying significantly reduced risk for cognitive disability at advanced ages [66]. The polyphenol curcumin reduces FoxO3 phosphorylation, causing nuclear translocation and a 2-fold increase in FoxO3-mediated gene expression [67]. In vivo, curcumin lowers lipid levels in peritoneal macrophages of obese mice. Curcumin, by increasing FoxO3 activity, may protect against oxidant- and lipid-induced damage in the inflammatory cells of the vascular system, thus reducing the risk for age-associated cardiovascular disease [67].'

• Informative x 1

#11 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:13 PM

Thx Razor444

That is a nice review and summary.

I think the fat that DHA suppresses the expression of FoxO and its target genes killed this thread as people don't want to hear this sort of thing about one of their favorite supps...

The DHA thing requires more research in regard to this effect, rather than ignoring it IMHO.

Edited by Logic, 04 April 2015 - 10:16 PM.

#12 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:57 PM

I think the fat that DHA suppresses the expression of FoxO and its target genes killed this thread as people don't want to hear this sort of thing about one of their favorite supps...

The DHA thing requires more research in regard to this effect, rather than ignoring it IMHO.

I recently realised I'm prone to 'brain fog' when supplementing DHA, so I have no qualms with its negative effects! I'm fine with fish (which I eat daily).

And it's nice to know about the study, even if it doesn't fit the normal positive narrative.

#13 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:14 PM

Interesting.
I think more research is reqd as one study isn't enough and LCFAs are good for SIRT6 levels IIRC.

Have you found a source of EPA sans DHA?

#14 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Interesting.
I think more research is reqd as one study isn't enough and LCFAs are good for SIRT6 levels IIRC.

Have you found a source of EPA sans DHA?

I've not looked: I rely on eating fish.

If I test in the future, and come across any, I'll post the supplement in this thread!

• like x 1

#15 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:33 PM

"...the development of Amayrin’s prescription drug that consists of a synthetic form of EPA....

...The reason why EPA works so well is that it fits into the particular enzymes that reduce those eicosanoids far better better than DHA and prevents arachidonic acid from producing too much eicosanoids...”

http://www.nutraingr...ression-fighter

"...purveyors of EPA only ingredients or products, such as Qualitas, Aurora Algae or Nordic Naturals, are frank in admitting that the pharmaceutical development plowed the way. “It’s really been the pharmaceutical companies pushing the omega-3s research saying let’s look at these standalone EPA uses...”

http://www.nutraingr...nto-marketplace

EPA only:

Qualitas Health

Aurora Algae

Nordic Naturals

Which still doesn't answer the question why DHA downregulates FOXO!?   :)

Edited by Logic, 06 April 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#16 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

"only EPA activated FOXO3a"
http://pharmagenx.co...muscle-building

"...EPA treated cells had a greater phosphorylation
of FOXO3a compared to control treated cells,
with no differences with DHA..."
https://www.google.c...O8K1s8dc1rMpHDg

So thats one study saying DHA has no effect on FOXO?

#17 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

From FOXO3: A Major Gene for Human Longevity - A Mini-Review

This link wasn't working.
Here's another.
http://www.karger.co...FullText/375235

Another paper:
Replication of an association of variation in the FOXO3A gene with human longevity using both case–control and longitudinal data

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2992870/

Edited by Logic, 15 April 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#18 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:50 PM

Works for me. Odd.

#19 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:28 AM

Lovaza's competition:

Ethyl eicosapentaenoic acid (E-EPA) marketed as Vascepa, Epadel, EPAX, is a synthetic derivative of the omega-3 fatty acid eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). In Japan, E-EPA is often called EPA-E.

This compound has been FDA-approved for use for reduction of high triglyceride levels. E-EPA may exhibit antipsychotic and antidepressive effects,[1] and it is therefore of special interest in psychiatry.[2]

So Vascepa is just EPA? Lovaza has both DHA and EPA. I have Lovaza that I still have yet to try but I'm already more eager to try Vascepa once I'm done with Lovaza.

"...the development of Amayrin’s prescription drug that consists of a synthetic form of EPA....

...The reason why EPA works so well is that it fits into the particular enzymes that reduce those eicosanoids far better better than DHA and prevents arachidonic acid from producing too much eicosanoids...”

http://www.nutraingr...ression-fighter

"...purveyors of EPA only ingredients or products, such as Qualitas, Aurora Algae or Nordic Naturals, are frank in admitting that the pharmaceutical development plowed the way. “It’s really been the pharmaceutical companies pushing the omega-3s research saying let’s look at these standalone EPA uses...”

http://www.nutraingr...nto-marketplace

EPA only:

Qualitas Health

Aurora Algae

Nordic Naturals

Which still doesn't answer the question why DHA downregulates FOXO!?   :)

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 motorcitykid

• 276 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

NB that
'DHA suppresses the expression of FoxO and its target genes'...!??

Docosahexaenoic acid suppresses the expression of FoxO and its target genes.

Chen YJ, Chen CC, Li TK, Wang PH, Liu LR, Chang FY, Wang YC, Yu YH, Lin SP, Mersmann HJ, Ding ST.

Source

Center for Biotechnology / Department of Animal Science and Technology, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan.

Abstract

Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), an n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid, has previously been shown to ameliorate obesity-associated metabolic syndrome. To decipher the mechanism responsible for the beneficial effects of DHA on energy/glucose homeostasis and the metabolic syndrome, 30 weaned cross-bred pigs were randomly assigned to three groups and fed ad libitum with a standard diet supplemented with 2% of beef tallow, soybean oil or DHA oil for 30 days, and the gene expression profile of various tissues was evaluated by quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction. The DHA-supplemented diets reduced the expression of forkhead box O transcription factor (FoxO) 1 and FoxO3 in the liver and adipose tissue. DHA treatments also decreased the expression of FoxO1 and FoxO3 in human hepatoma cells, SK-HEP-1 and human and porcine primary adipocytes. In addition, DHA also down-regulated FoxO target genes, such as microsomal triacylglycerol transfer protein (MTP), glucose-6-phosphatase, apolipoprotein C-III (apoC-III) and insulin-like growth factor binding-protein 1 in the liver, as well as reduced total plasma levels of cholesterol and triacylglycerol in the pig. Transcriptional suppression of FoxO1, FoxO3, apoC-III and MTP by DHA was further confirmed by reporter assays with each promoter construct. Taken together, our study indicates that DHA modulates lipid and glucose homeostasis in part by down-regulating FoxO function. The down-regulation of genes associated with triacylglycerol metabolism and very low density lipoprotein assembly is likely to contribute to the beneficial effects of DHA on the metabolic syndrome.

Makes me think that down regulation of FoxO (due to DHA consumption) could be the instigator behind this study that demonstrates a notable increased risk of prostate cancer due to fish oil consumption:

http://jnci.oxfordjo...djt174.abstract

Edited by motorcitykid, 07 January 2016 - 05:40 PM.

• Informative x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wine, olive oil, tyrosol, foxo, survival genes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users