• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Transdermal triglycerides for weight loss

fasting triglycerides weight loss hunger dieting transdermal exercise olive oil soybean oil mct oil

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 08 May 2022 - 07:11 PM

This is a spinoff of my concept of using red light with fasting and exercise. Fasting plus exercise produces rapid fat loss, but dealing with hunger is difficult. It’s true that fasting stimulates the release of triglycerides, but it isn't sufficient to eliminate hunger. My hypothesis is that evolution set the hunger signal above the maximum triglyceride output in order to force early humans out of their caves in search of food. This was a survival advantage when food was scarce. For many people the gap is not that great. The output of a red diode flashlight is sufficient to increase mitochondrial activity and stimulate enough extra triglyceride output to shut off the hunger signal.

But the drawbacks are obvious: You have to carry around a red flashlight and remember to use it. And the effect doesn’t last very long.

So here’s an improvement: Using the skin as a transdermal patch for triglycerides

Olive oil is an excellent triglyceride source that slowly penetrates the dermis, producing a low but steady energy source that shuts down the fat signal. For me it works if I coat 1/4 or more of the skin surface. Though typically I coat about 2/3rds, at a level similar to a sunblock. This lasts at least 8 hours, and generally more. Other oils may be used:

The results demonstrated skin penetration of fatty acids from all oils tested. Only soybean and olive oils significantly increased the skin distribution of dihydroquercetin and can be used as skin penetration enhancers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...cles/PMC6151382

I’ve only tried olive oil to date, but from the above it seems that soybean oil may be superior for those with a hunger signal set higher. Another potential advantage of soybean oil: it has 5-10 times as much of the 2 essential fatty acids — linoleic acid (omega-6) and alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3) — as olive oil.

MCT oil likely has a yet higher penetration rate and is more rapidly metabolized. So a mixture of MCT oil and soybean oil might prove best of all.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 08 May 2022 - 07:12 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2022 - 11:09 AM

Soybean oil definitely seems to produce a stronger appetite-suppressant effect than olive oil, as suggested above, but hempseed oil and/or walnut oil may be the best overall, as they have best balance of EFAs. The healthiest ratio of omega-6 to omega-3  ranges from 1/1 to 4/1, at least when consumed.

Several sources of information suggest that human beings evolved on a diet with a ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFA) of approximately 1 whereas in Western diets the ratio is 15/1-16.7/1. Western diets are deficient in omega-3 fatty acids, and have excessive amounts of omega-6 fatty acids compared with the diet on which human beings evolved and their genetic patterns were established. Excessive amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and a very high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 PUFA (a low omega-6/omega-3 ratio) exert suppressive effects. In the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease, a ratio of 4/1 was associated with a 70% decrease in total mortality. A ratio of 2.5/1 reduced rectal cell proliferation in patients with colorectal cancer, whereas a ratio of 4/1 with the same amount of omega-3 PUFA had no effect.

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/12442909/

Hempseed oil has the best ω6/ω3 ratio of 2.5/1 (assuming 1/1 to 4/1 is desirable), and the highest level of essential fatty acids (EFAs) of approximately 82%. Hempseed oil is greenish and has more odor than the others.

Unrefined walnut oil comes in second best with a ω6/ω3 ratio of 5/1 and EFAs of 63%.

Compare these to olive oil with a ω6/ω3 ratio of 14/1 and EFAs of about 10.5%, and soybean oil with a ω6/ω3 ratio 7.3/1 and EFAs of 58%. Hydrogenated soybean oil has about double the ratio and half the EFAs. Much degraded from a health perspective, in other words.

Source: Vegetable oil composition

Bottom line, I am continuing these experiments with hempseed and/or walnut oil.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 09 May 2022 - 11:30 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 05:38 PM

Interesting idea. Why not just eat the fat/oils? You would still be in ketosis and burning fat.

#4 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2022 - 08:29 PM

Interesting idea. Why not just eat the fat/oils? You would still be in ketosis and burning fat.

Here the skin serves as a transdermal patch for a slow, controlled release. It lasts about 8 hours, depending on the mix of oils, which is much more convenient than gobbling a tiny squirt of oil every few minutes (or using a red flashlight as I did before).

Edited by Turnbuckle, 10 May 2022 - 08:29 PM.

• Needs references x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fasting, triglycerides, weight loss, hunger, dieting, transdermal, exercise, olive oil, soybean oil, mct oil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users