• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Regular coffee, decaf, green/white tea or none of the above?

coffee caffeine green tea white tea

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Smitty 123

• 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

From a health and longevity perspective I'm trying to figure out which of these would be optimal:

-Regular coffee (16-20 oz./daily), High quality coffee of course.
-Decaf coffee (16-20 oz./daily), High quality coffee of course.
-Green tea (4-8 cups/daily)
-White tea (4-8 cups/daily)
-No caffeine

Looking at Ray Kurzweil's stuff, he seems to go the green tea route. I like the Bulletproof blog and he suggests coffee (Bulletproof coffee). I've seen other suggestions that any caffeine may have a somewhat adverse impact on health.

Thoughts?

#2 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

http://www.amazon.co...236520_email_ti

Try this out, Google the web site for information.. Great

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

http://www.amazon.co...236520_email_ti

Try this out, Google the web site for information.. Great

$36 a pound? I don't think so. And I call scam on the "extra" ingredients. If you want matcha, rooibos, goji, ....then just buy them separately...there is no way of telling the quantity or quality of the "extra" ingredients in these types of hyped products.
  • like x 1

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

I'm not willing to give up coffee in the event that it isn't the optimal drink. It's close enough. I take green tea extract for the polyphenols.

#5 Audioque

• 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

I used to drink at least a pot of coffee before 7 in the morning. I stopped that crap now and switched to green tea and black tea instead. It did wonders in helping me with the cortisol level.

#6 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

-Regular coffee (16-20 oz./daily), High quality coffee of course.
-Decaf coffee (16-20 oz./daily), High quality coffee of course.
-Green tea (4-8 cups/daily)
-White tea (4-8 cups/daily)
-No caffeine

It seems there are two primary factors governing the health effects of these drinks--caffeine and antioxidants (or other bioactive compounds).

Research has shown independent and synergistic effects of each of these compounds in moderation, with potential negative health effects in excess. This means that drinking regular coffee/tea over decaf could be more beneficial for you, but if for whatever reason you don't want the caffeine then you'll still get some benefit from the bioactive compounds left in the decaf. Conversely you could use just caffeine and get some benefits separate from the bioactive coupounds in these beverages.

The research also seems to suggest that too much caffeine, or a high sensitivity to caffeine (slow metabolizers), can have a negative cardiovascular effect that at some point will overwhelm the benefits of the other bioactive components of these beverages. If you are a slow caffeine metabolizer then your caffeinated beverage threshold is much lower than a fast caffeine metabolizer, and as such you'll get less overall benefit because your lower beverage consumption will contribute less antioxidants/bioactives.

Coffee and tea also have their own bioactives profiles. While green tea (and white is right up there) seems to have "more" antioxidant capacity (probably depends on how you measure it) and more robust epidemiological evidence to its benefit, it's very difficult to directly compare the two. Though tea does have theophylline while coffee doesn't. It's like asking if you should eat broccoli or blueberries. Both are healthy, and you're probably better consuming some of both.

The last thing that I'd think of is potential downsides. Depending on the brand, growing conditions, etc., green tea can be quite high in fluoride, aluminum, and similar, and coffee can be high is pesticides and other chemicals. Brewing methods could alter the exposure to some of these. Brewing method is also important for coffee regarding fiber and other soluble factors, as these seem to have an effect on plasma lipids and cancer risk.

I used to drink at least a pot of coffee before 7 in the morning. I stopped that crap now and switched to green tea and black tea instead. It did wonders in helping me with the cortisol level.

This is a great example of why moderation is important. Drinking less coffee could have the same effect as switching to the lower-caffeine teas.
  • like x 3

#7 helluva nootro

• 57 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

A good blend of green tea, with the odd home made bullet proof coffee. As some other users mentioned you can take the green tea extract if you like but I would suggest going for the real deal

#8 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

It depends on your genes. Some people do not benefit from the polyphenols in Green or white tea, but fermented (black or red) tea is beneficial. The caffeine in most green tea is less than black tea, and much less than in coffee. But not always, there are some Chinese varieties that very high in caffeine.... but they can cost upwards of $100 a pound.

Coffee is beneficial for those who are rapid metabolizers of caffeine; some protection against heart attacks have been shown for these folks. But not so much for those who cannot tolerate the caffeine.

If you like it, and it doesn't give you jitters and keep you awake at night, go ahead and indulge in any or all of these.

#9 spirilla01

• 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

Niner, may I ask what type of Extract you are using, and if you consume it on an empty stommach ?
thanks

#10 alecnevsky

• 344 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:24 AM

Being in nutritional ketosis, you're super sensitive to electrolytes (loss thereof). From most harmful to least on my diet: coffee, black tea, yerba mate, green tea.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:03 AM

Niner, may I ask what type of Extract you are using, and if you consume it on an empty stommach ?
thanks

Swanson's house brand GTE, 500mg. I do take it on an empty stomach, which has never seemed to bother me or result in elevated liver enzymes on the basis of occasional checks (roughly yearly, as part of standard bloodwork). I used to use a nice formulation of GTE from TruNature that had some subtle psychological effects that I liked. It seemed to increase my motivation. I don't notice that from other GTE, but my source of TruNature dried up.

#12 Spherical Cow

• 19 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

Coffee...4-6 cups per day.

#13 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:46 AM

Add lemon to white tea, and it beats green in antioxidant capacity. Not sure how this stacks up to a typical GTE, but white tea provides a cleaner energy than coffee or black tea, probably due to its greater catechins & PPs & antioxidant capacity, all highly neuroprotective. I'm sensitive to caffeine too, maybe even lacking a liver enzyme, so two cups of white tea with 20mg each is plenty to get me through my workday, ~40 mg daily total...less caffeine in a day than some people get in a single gulp of coffee. How much worse my anxiety would be if I drank 4-6 cups of coffee daily, good lord I can only imagine. If you buy into the antioxidant dogma, obviously it's wisest to do strictly white tea, no more than 10 cups/day.

Edited by dasheenster, 17 April 2014 - 03:51 AM.

#14 bracconiere

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

Regular coffee is my choice, loaded with pantothenic acid, and riboflavin. Which are essential vitamins, I wouldn't know about marketing stuff like antioxidants

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coffee, caffeine, green tea, white tea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users