- - - - -

Treating Anhedonia

lions mane mushroom ngf bndf

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vali

• 61 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

I have been using nootropics for almost 2 years now, and have reached the point where I have a pretty good idea of what most things do, as well as their effect on me. One theory for depression is that the reason SSRI antidepressants work is that they increase NGF in the brain. Rather than fuck around with SSRIS I thought I'd go straight to the source. This stack is designed to increase NGF, in hopes of treating depression and giving me happiness and motivation. And maybe it'll make me smarter as well. That would be neat!

I will try and post back here in a couple months detailing what effects, if any, this stack has had on me and my life.

It is partially inspired by this thread: http://www.longecity...ancement-stack/

Taken daily
Lions Mane mushroom: 2 grams, has a long history of use, contains NGF. I think this stuff made me a bit sleepy? The last time that I took this stuff was a while ago. I only used it for a couple weeks last time, which isn't nearly long enough to get real effects.
Nardosinone: 1 gram. Not much is known about this, but the guy in the NFG enhancement thread was using it, so I figured I might as well. The only thing on this list that I haven't already used at some point. Might test by itself first a bit.
Fish oil: 2 grams. I take this because fats help with the absorption of aniracetam. Also its cheap, safe, well studied, and shown to have many health benefits. Might as well.
Noopept: 20mg taken sublingually. Increases BNDF. It also makes my thinking more sharp and clear. Like a splash of cold water to the face. Might fiddle around with this dosage a bit, take twice or three times a day.

I'm also taking 1 gram Alcar, but once this bottle is empty I'm going to stop, since I don't think it's doing anything for me. I've seen some claims of it increasing NFG, but nothing really substantial.
Exercise!!!! Quite likely the most powerful NGF enhancer on this list.

The following I take less often, or as needed
Aniracetam: 1.5 grams. Ampakines, of which aniracetam is one, cause BNDF to be upregulated. It also makes me more relaxed and less depressed.
Piracetam: 3-4 grams. I take this less often, but I've found it makes me quite happy, which is very nice. I get a bit of hypo-mania from time to time, which is simply lovely.
Other racetams: I like racetams.
I plan on cycling these to avoid tolerance.

Considering adding
Uridine is one possibility. Last time I found it made me a bit happier and more apathetic. That said, the effects were so slight that could have just been placebo. Once I've used this stack for a longer period of time I'll go back and adjust.
L-Tyrosine: The last guy said dopamine precursors are necessary for longer dendrite length. I don't think my diet is deficient enough in dopamine precursors to require me to supplement, but I already own a jar of tyrosine, and I like the calm energy it gives me. That said, I've found Tyrosine far more useful in fighting sleep deprivation than anything else.

Hopefully my brain doesn't downregulate NFG production in order to compensate. Stupid brain. Thoughts and comments?

#2 vali

• Topic Starter
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

It's been two months, so time for an update!

I've actually had some success recently. I opened an account at project Euler and solved the first six problems. Go me! I was trying CILTP and lions mane mushroom and aniracetam at the time. I have not had much success making a habit of taking noopept. The first couple times I took Aniracetam it made me very relaxed and happy, so remembering to take Aniracetam is much more natural than noopept.

If I had to guess, I would say that the chemicals were at least 20% of the reason I finally managed to change myself. I remember my head felt very hot, and I was very angry that I kept fucking up my life so much, so I decided to change, and this time it actually worked. If you are looking to change who you are, I highly recommend getting really frustrated with yourself, and then doing something to fix the source of your frustration, and then feeling good about yourself. And then doing that over and over and over again, until it becomes a habit.

I think there is a 90% chance that this represents a real and permanent change in my personality. I will update in a couple of month and let you guys know if this is actually the case.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Just wondering, did you ever try do increase dopamine for anhedonia?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#4 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

Try inositol, it increases density of D2 receptors. NAC also works for me, similar to low dose psychedelic. LSD, mushrooms and similar psychedelics also work, but it's not for everyone and not for everyday. Also, meditation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lions mane mushroom, ngf, bndf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users