• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Arginine, taurine and glycine is this a good combination for sleeping?

sleep aid arginine taurine glycine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ocean.soul

• 89 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

Hello again, so here I am again posting another question... has anyone experience with these three chemicals (arginine, taurine and glycine). A friend of mine is going under same stress and he cannot get a full night sleep without 0.5mg of clonazepam. I always tell "you can only take 3 of those per month!!!" Of course, it is easy to say....

So I was looking for something less damaging and I started reading about glycine and soon after, I was convinced that this is what he should be taking.... Unfortunately, in my country there is no supplement that contains glycine alone. I found this one that contains only 200mg of glycine and 150mg of taurine and 150mg of arginine. But, the studies I have read about glycine (I have not researched the others two yet) they all talk about dosages of at least 3g of glycine for sleeping aid....
Does anyone know if maybe this “combo” would help him??

#2 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

It could. I'm a long time insomniac and found that they were not a very robust option and tolerance/rebound type stuff set in. I didn't try it with arginine though. only the other two, also beta alanine.

Glycine and taurine both have some activity at the Gaba receptors as an agonist, just like clonazepam. Though, I'm wondering if that effect, physiologically, is negligible or not,.....

it's not their only action...

Those seem like really low doses though, should be fine. maybe even helpful... probably won't be very robust.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jetmango

• 227 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:17 AM

it seems taurine is a GABA agonist, so downregulation is possible with 'chronic' use now... watch out :)

but what is 'chronic' use? 1 500mg tablet per day for 2 months , or what? ; )

#4 leanguy

• 65 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:34 AM

Arginine can be stimulating. I assume it is in this stack to increase growth hormone, which improves sleep. Replace with L-Ornithine instead.

I am a severe chronic insomniac and generous doses of L-Tryptophan has helped me taper off of a years-long ambien habit. Don't try it if you are taking any kind of SSRI, MAOI or other serotonin drugs.

Edited by leanguy, 27 January 2014 - 03:35 AM.

#5 ocean.soul

• Topic Starter
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for the replays!
Does methylphenidate count as a MAOI??

#6 PuertoO

• 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

In persons undergoing mild sleep deprivation, 3g of glycine an hour prior to sleep is able to increase sleep quality and improve self-reports of fatigue and well being.

#7 ocean.soul

• Topic Starter
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

I find very hard to get 3g of glycine, do you know if I can eat gelatin instead?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 MG63

• 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

Great Lakes Gelatin works well or the Collagen Hydrolysate. The Gelatin takes longer to metabolize so take 2 hours before sleep, whereas the Collagen Hydrolysate works in about 30 minutes on any empty stomach. If your looking for GH benefit - the Gelatin is a better option because of how sourced. Below is my personal ranking on experience. Will also say that age also plays into this as well. As we age the health of the digestive system declines, consequently the food-based approach (Gelatin, etc.) yields more varied / inconsistent results, whereas straight Glycine is more consistent in terms of results and be controlled to meet needs.

1- Sleep/Cognitive Boost - 3g of Glycine (Thorne Research)
2- Sleep/ Cognitive Boost- 1Tbsp Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate
3- Sleep / GH boost - Great Lakes Gelatin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sleep aid, arginine, taurine, glycine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users