• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Negative/Cognitive Schizophrenic Symptoms - What's Really Going On?

schizophrenia

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 AlmostEasy

• 112 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:35 AM

Hello,

I'm a 23 / Male with self diagnosed neg/cog SZ (gradual 5 year progression). My doctor and psychologist like to tell (told) me that I'm just dealing with depression symptoms and its manifestations. I spent 3-4 years thinking I was dealing with emotional repression alone and that was what my problem was so I spent all that time trying to release emotions through every method possible. EFT, Sedona Method, meditation, counselling etc. That didn't help me at all. I also tried SSRI's during this period (Welbutrin, Zoloft, Effexor) and they did nothing as well. Never did I ever consider that I may in fact have a physiological mental problem. I wish I had as that would have saved me so much suffering. It's just that I used to be an insanely high functioning person, this was just totally outside my realms of possibility.

I finally started to Google things like "can't think straight" and found Schizophrenia. I did not like this at all but I couldn't deny to myself that I matched the negative/cognitive symptoms to the tee. THIS is what has been wrong with me, FINALLY I had a diagnosis that made some sense. So my focus shifted to this, and I began my investigative journey. Like one would think, I found many potential alleviation's in the form of supplements/treatments/medicines. Here's a list of what I've tried:

Tried (No Success):
  • Sarcosine + DAA (TestForce v2)
  • Minocycline (thought it was working at first, turned very strange, discontinued treatment after ~7 days. Upon reflection this overlapped with my Vyvanse use which renders this experience rather useless. Definitely am going to revisit this one soon.
  • NAC - 2 mg/day
  • ALCAR - 1600 mg/day
  • Folate (Metafolin) - tried @ 800 mcg/day for quite a while
  • Turmeric - 500 mg/day
  • Fish Oil - no response
  • ZMA
  • Abilify (hepled 1st/2nd day)
  • Mirtazapine - Nothing? Was a highly recommended drug and has a lot of rave reviews but I've started to ween off of this I don't think I need it. Am getting some extreme acute withdrawal symptoms as well I believe. It's the only variable I've removed which could explain these strange moments I have. Just a desperate anxious discomfort. No explanation as to where it came from, very strange.
  • L-Methylfolate - up to 10 mg Quatrefolic. Taking a different brand of just pure L-Methylfolate (not the Quatrefolic) seemed to help a small part of my cognition quite a bit.. but it was random and inconsistent. Nowhere close to recovery amounts, may not even worth be investigating again.
Tried (Some Success):
  • Adderall - ~50% improvement, couldn't obtain a prescription. Have tried several times, always seems to help. Haven't used consecutively. Doesn't warrant further investigation, an addictive band-aid at best.
  • Vyvanse - ~30% improvement, got a prescription but begin to feel nearly insane if I take it for several days in a row. Messed around with dosing to no avail. WILL NOT ever use this again.
  • Modafinil - 30%? improvement, am currently taking this as often as I possibly can, I've developed a tolerance to a degree and take days off that I can afford to to reduce tolerance. Am currently working on cycling modafinil with armodafinil to see if that extends the potency for me. Initial use was very profound and intense but has become muddier over time. Still am scared of the days when I am not able to take this. During first use it was the first time in many years in which I could truly take a moment to stop and have a profound few moments of life and self reflection which I've always been fiercely passionate about. To be able to add up the sum of your current life activity/situation and conclude where it's going, and make the needed adjustments in behavior to redirect it to wherever you wish it to go. This functioning has again faded with prolonged use.
  • Sarcosine (Pure, no DAA) - 5%-10% improvement. It doesn't seem to be like the improvement many diagnosed schizophrenics find from what I've read on various forums/studies. They seem to regain a great deal of cognitive functioning after a few weeks of use, which stays with them. To me it seems to be like an increase in cognition for a couple hours that then fades away. It's not this huge build up and sustain that seems to be common among the successfully treated. And when I say increase in cognition it's just like a re-establishing of normalcy feeling. Not some "omg I've gained intelligence" thing. Just a tiny amount of proper functioning regained. A bittersweet experience.
  • Pregnenolone - May help some.. It's been in my stack for a couple months and I made a point to have it on automatic monthly order, but have forgotten totally how much it might help. Not much apparently, may discontinue.

this is what I use to diagnose myself, I relate to this nearly 100% (http://www.schizophr...tions.com/home/) (Scroll down to the PANSS section, me defined). Man let me tell you, I cannot for the fucking love of me properly display facial emotion. It's just not going to happen. This makes emotionally high interactions/moments impossible and sometimes incredibly awkward, because I can sort of build to it, but when it gets there the energy just dies and becomes awkward. The emotion does not flow through me but is short circuited. I'm completely deaf to the emotions of situations, I can't respond properly because 1 I didn't even hear you over the sound of my own mind and 2 I can't process anything like that on the fly., I can't plan and organize properly. I'm TERRIFIED of when my medical program starts up in the fall. Mostly of presentations. That shit is just not going to be good, I'm really quite scared of that. I can sit in my room and cram all day and do fine if I have the time needed but this shit is going to require all of me.

So I've played around with those treatments and those ideas for some time and that may very well be it, but another thing has recently come into my mind. I used to smoke weed like there was no tomorrow, I mean always in balance with life and school but if I could, I did. For about 3 years? Some of my greatest and fondest memories. I learned quite a bit from the substance and I think it's quite a powerful tool. That being said, it REALLY makes me wonder if that's what fucked up my brain. I seem to have negative/cognitive symptoms to the TEE but conventional treatments seem to not work so well on me. I don't quite react to the traditional big 3 treatments of neg/cog symptoms that others do. I've yet to find almost anyone who doesn't have significant improvement with either Sarcosine, Minocycline, or Pregnenolone. This makes me think my cause of disease may be different. That it's not purely genetic but perhaps caused by... cannabis? I've not done extensive research on the subject and honestly couldn't find a whole lot. Also the fact which I should've already mentioned is that I have ZERO positive symptoms. Never once have I even had anything close to resembling auditory/visual hallucinations, or any form of paranoid delusion.

So in the end I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with ANY of this. I've taken this to many forums and have found a great deal of help, especially from schizophrenia.com. The years of forum posts are an absolute gold mine. I'm in the best place I've been in several years with the addition of modafinil into my regimen, but I'm still in a bad place. Does anyone out there have information that would help with this? I'm looking for total remission, I will not fucking settle for less. I'm open to ideas for brain scans, blood tests, rare off the wall 1-in-a-million chance viruses (toxoplasma?!?!), similarly diagnoses disorders with different treatments, hormone imbalances, low level inflammation, small brain tumors?!, acupuncture ??, eastern medicine, tai chi I don't even care, I'm just casting a bigger net and am really hoping some of the minds here can help me. Also I'm going to look over my insurance plan and see what falls under preventative medicine, I'll take every damn test I can, particularly any type of brain scan that may help. Also might be worth noting that my:

Free Testosterone @ 8.9 ------- UNITS: pg/mL ----- Reference Range: (9.3-26.5)
Total Testosterone @ 399 ------- UNITS: ng/dL ------ Reference Range: (348-1197)
To my mind this warrants some sort of treatment but I was "assured" this isn't a problem.

​This seems like an extremely active and knowledgeable community and I'm kicking myself for not taking the initiative to write this up sooner, could you guys please help me out if you have any information that may help, I need to get this handled. It has robbed me of some of the most precious years of my life and is causing me immense suffering. If you guys want any more information please ask and if I think of anything else to add I will also do so.

Thank you
  • like x 1

#2 Olon

• 109 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

I had success with 4 g NAC + 6 g ALCAR for about a half year. I usually responded well concerning my negative symptoms (also to glycine/sarcosine and minocycline), but permanent success concerning my sensory gating problems did I only have with lamotrigine 600 mg plus quercetin 1500 mg plus olanzapine 2.5 mg. Not a good option for someone with negative symptoms only, however, because of the memory and working memory problems.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 AlmostEasy

• Topic Starter
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Interesting, and thanks for the reply. Could you describe what this sensory gating is like for you, I'm not sure if I can relate.

#4 Olon

• 109 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

It means not being able to filter single objects out of the sensory input.

#5 abcmanomandriepunt1

• 133 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

have you got depersonalization? no emotions or emotional connection with the outside world?

some people only suffer from negative symptoms from schizophrenia, especially schizoid personality disorder. but if you're burn out you can also suffer from the same symptoms. do you have any reason to be burn out? like an previous anxiety disorder?.

That you react possitiv to stimulants might suggest that there's a dopamine downregulation at play. i'm not an biochemist, but i suffer negative symptoms as well. For me lion's mane and zyprexa 2.5mg helps greatly for cognitive dysfunction. it's possible that NGF play a role in improvement of negative symptoms in schizophrenia (wikipedia). nmda agonists also might play a role, and there was a guy on this forum trying all kinds of stimulants and nmda agonists to cure his negative symptoms. there is also the possibilty of glutamate exotoxicity and some schizo's and depersonalized persons benefit from anti convulsants.
  • like x 1

#6 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Sorry to hear about your issues.
The negative symptoms of schizophrenia overlap with various disorders. Depersonalization Disorder is one of them; people with this frequently misdiagnose themselves with schizophrenia. Healthcare professionals have also been known to misdiagnose it as such. To my knowledge, as long as reality testing remains intact, it is not schizophrenia.
  • like x 1

#7 abcmanomandriepunt1

• 133 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

off topic but some observations : If the impulses to a thought disorder are there, and are there for a long time then it's diagnosed as schizophrenia by some docs. Other calll it psychotic depression. Some change there point of view if the symptoms remain for a long time to schizophrenia. It doesn't really matter actually.

The schizo's who are often better off are the ones who understand it's their brains and have a good autocorrect which tells them after a couple of seconds that their impulses (like the idea of being watched) are not realitity.

#8 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

How long did you take NAC, fish oil etc? You do know that you have to take supplements for months for it to have a significant effect?
You cannot expect e.g. NAC to work fully in two weeks. The improvement might be subtle and you won't know that it's from the NAC or whatever it is.
This is one of the biggest dangers of self-treatment. You give up when you determine that it didn't work. Of course, it could be that it didn't help at all.
But all we have is studies. And these often last several months (e.g. half a year).

I would keep the NAC and the fish oil (1-2g EPA minus DHA; ideally 80%+ EPA) if you can afford it. I would keep Vitamin B9 and take B12 - maybe just on a weekly basis to avoid high homocysteine.
EPA for depression takes around 2 months to have a significant effect.
I would stick with meditation, stay away from alcohol and any other drugs if you take any/drink.

And I would try an antipsychotic. Since you mainly mention negative and cognitive symptoms you might wanna try taking what I started taking just a couple of days ago :)
Low-dose amisulpride (okay, there are probably tons of other antipsychotics you could take at a low dose. I'm kinda biased here)

When you are very sick, you cannot expect to get better in a heartbeat. It's a long, hard road you have to walk.
I can understand that it's frustrating not to have seen any improvements after trying so many things. But again: Did you really take NAC, sarcosine for several months?

edit: okay, you tried out a lot of stuff for quite a while. But I would still stick to some supps that have been shown to be beneficial regardless of your subjective opinion. If they don't do anything at all, you might still have a placebo effect. I know it sounds absurd, but it's better to take a sugar pill than to take nothing at all. It is strange, but it's a scientific fact.

edit2: I'm actually surprised that you have never tried an antipsychotic? You seem to be in a desperate situation. Be it schizophrenia or depersonalization disorder: I would try it.

edit 3: Ah okay, Abilify :laugh: Well, give another antipsychotic a go. There are like 15? You still have tons of treatment options you can try.

edit 4: Okay, last edit. I should have structured my post better lol. After you tried everything on the sun: MAOIs. Maybe they will do the trick?

Edited by longschi, 18 March 2014 - 09:48 PM.

#9 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

The negative symptoms of schizophrenia overlap with various disorders. Depersonalization Disorder is one of them; people with this frequently misdiagnose themselves with schizophrenia. Healthcare professionals have also been known to misdiagnose it as such. To my knowledge, as long as reality testing remains intact, it is not schizophrenia.

Almostevery you already know me from another forum from a while ago, I already told you and I totally agree with Formergenius, you do not suffer from schizophrenia, so you are looking at the wrong treatment (except cognition) options by diagnosing yourself as one. I wanted to recommend to contact Formergenius last night I read your post, he is in almost every group-buy for cognitive treatments maybe he can introduce you to the group-buys. Or you should delete schizophrenics symptoms from the title and ask the same question in brain health forum section, that's where all the cognitive psychonauts hang out ;)

Did I confused you with someone else, Almosteasy or do I only have your name wrong? :wacko:

Edited by YoungSchizo, 19 March 2014 - 01:55 AM.

• like x 1

#10 AlmostEasy

• Topic Starter
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:45 AM

It means not being able to filter single objects out of the sensory input.

Interesting. I don't think fully understand what it is still but I don't think I suffer from that.

have you got depersonalization? no emotions or emotional connection with the outside world?

some people only suffer from negative symptoms from schizophrenia, especially schizoid personality disorder. but if you're burn out you can also suffer from the same symptoms. do you have any reason to be burn out? like an previous anxiety disorder?.

That you react possitiv to stimulants might suggest that there's a dopamine downregulation at play. i'm not an biochemist, but i suffer negative symptoms as well. For me lion's mane and zyprexa 2.5mg helps greatly for cognitive dysfunction. it's possible that NGF play a role in improvement of negative symptoms in schizophrenia (wikipedia). nmda agonists also might play a role, and there was a guy on this forum trying all kinds of stimulants and nmda agonists to cure his negative symptoms. there is also the possibilty of glutamate exotoxicity and some schizo's and depersonalized persons benefit from anti convulsants.

Since I did not respond in a typical manner to some fairly effective treatments for schizophrenia I began to wonder this as well. I found the most developed and active forum I could and started doing a lot of research on it. I found many stories that I truly could not relate to. I found the official diagnosis' test as well and I could identify with maybe ~15% of the things? And the ones I did were not too severe. Then I went back and looked at the strict definitions of "Negative/cognitive" Schizophrenia.

• Alogia, or poverty of speech, is the lessening of speech fluency and productivity, thought to reflect slowing or blocked thoughts, and often manifested as short, empty replies to questions.

Affective flattening is the reduction in the range and intensity of emotional expression, including facial expression, voice tone, eye contact (person seems to stare, doesn't maintain eye contact in a normal process), and is not able to interpret body language nor use appropriate body language.
    Avolition is the reduction, difficulty, or inability to initiate and persist in goal-directed behavior; it is often mistaken for apparent disinterest. (examples of avolition include: no longer interested in going out and meeting with friends, no longer interested in activities that the person used to show enthusiasm for, no longer interested in much of anything, sitting in the house for many hours a day doing nothing.)

A short summary of a list of negative symptoms are:
  • lack of emotion - the inability to enjoy regular activities (visiting with friends, etc.) as much as before
  • Low energy - the person tends to sit around and sleep much more than normal
  • lack of interest in life, low motivation
  • Affective flattening - a blank, blunted facial expression or less lively facial movements, flat voice (lack of normal intonations and variance) or physical movements.
  • Alogia (difficulty or inability to speak)
  • Inappropriate social skills or lack of interest or ability to socialize with other people
  • Inability to make friends or keep friends, or not caring to have friends
  • Social isolation - person spends most of the day alone or only with close family

Note: Only one Criterion A symptom is required if delusions are bizarre or hallucinations consist of a voice keeping up a running commentary on the person’s behavior or thoughts, or two or more voices conversing with each other.
Cognitive Symptoms of Schizophrenia
Cognitive symptoms refer to the difficulties with concentration and memory. These can include:
  • disorganized thinking
  • slow thinking
  • difficulty understanding
  • poor concentration
  • poor memory
  • difficulty expressing thoughts
  • difficulty integrating thoughts, feelings and behavior
Alogia, affective flattening, and avolition fit my problems 100%, completely. I don't think my mind will ever be changed on what I think I have unless I see another condition that contains these 3 things, along with about 2/3's of the cognitive symptoms. Believe me if I had a condition that didn't have hands down the most stigma of any mental illness ever defined I would be ecstatic. I seriously might start telling people I have dopamine dysregulation syndrome.

I believe the start of this whole thing must have been around 2008. I did have some serious anxiety about a relationship I was in on top of some devastating family issues. It was a very intense time and I have no doubt this has contributed to my problem. In my mind it seems possible that I had a genetic predisposition and perhaps this aggravated it. Or maybe the marijuana did, or maybe both did. Perhaps this is why my situation is unique, I'm not sure. This was naturally my first assumption, that these things caused this problem and if I could just address these issues I could fix the problem. After years of trying and failing at that I've started to believe it's physiological more than psychological, especially since the introduction of modafinil into my regimen. I've finally had a few moments where I can reflect on these tragic times and finally discover how I actually feel about them. This was locked away previously. It's like I have unresolved emotional trauma hidden behind a physiologically malfunctioning emotional system that prevents me from resolving them. It took me several years before I finally realized that something was really wrong with me. It was such a slow gradual progression.

Zyprexa has definitely caught my attention after reading yours and Olon's post about it. Does brain atrophy worry you at all? I'm afraid that could compound the problem in the long run. What do you feel you have? Do you suffer from any positives? I'll check out lion's mane and NGF as well. Thank you very much for that information, that's the kind of stuff I'm lookin for!

See above for the depersonalization discussion. Yeah I don't know man, it's hard to strictly define what I have as the real understanding of what schizophrenia is is diluted. Some say it MUST include positive symptoms or else you don't have it. Well, then what do I have? I fit the cognitives/negatives exactly and I don't have positives, so where does that leave me?

off topic but some observations : If the impulses to a thought disorder are there, and are there for a long time then it's diagnosed as schizophrenia by some docs. Other calll it psychotic depression. Some change there point of view if the symptoms remain for a long time to schizophrenia. It doesn't really matter actually.

The schizo's who are often better off are the ones who understand it's their brains and have a good autocorrect which tells them after a couple of seconds that their impulses (like the idea of being watched) are not realitity.

Yeah this has been full on for about 5 years with a gradual progression to this point that took around 2 years. But like I said before I don't have the "positive" symptoms, which include auditory/visual hallucinations and paranoid delusions that are typical of the condition, just the other 2 problem areas, the cognition and "negative" problems.

edit: okay, you tried out a lot of stuff for quite a while. But I would still stick to some supps that have been shown to be beneficial regardless of your subjective opinion. If they don't do anything at all, you might still have a placebo effect. I know it sounds absurd, but it's better to take a sugar pill than to take nothing at all. It is strange, but it's a scientific fact.

edit2: I'm actually surprised that you have never tried an antipsychotic? You seem to be in a desperate situation. Be it schizophrenia or depersonalization disorder: I would try it.

edit 3: Ah okay, Abilify :laugh: Well, give another antipsychotic a go. There are like 15? You still have tons of treatment options you can try.

edit 4: Okay, last edit. I should have structured my post better lol. After you tried everything on the sun: MAOIs. Maybe they will do the trick?

Yeah if I could afford everything that I think MIGHT have helped a little bit I would take it. Right now I'm most concerned about affording modafinil and sarcosine. I will definitely check out some fish oil high in EPA, I've been meaning to do that for a while. I've just been taking the whatever bulk brand. I'll look into the

I'm a bit hesitant to try out anti-psychotics after 1 reading the study of APs causing brain atrophy and 2 reading a large amount of forum posts of people complaining about APs GIVING them cognition/memory/blunting problems.

Could you elaborate on what you mean when you said "I would keep Vitamin B9 and take B12 - maybe just on a weekly basis to avoid high homocysteine." -- what would cause that?

Almostevery you already know me from another forum from a while ago, I already told you and I totally agree with Formergenius, you do not suffer from schizophrenia, so you are looking at the wrong treatment (except cognition) options by diagnosing yourself as one. I wanted to recommend to contact Formergenius last night I read your post, he is in almost every group-buy for cognitive treatments maybe he can introduce you to the group-buys. Or you should delete schizophrenics symptoms from the title and ask the same question in brain health forum section, that's where all the cognitive psychonauts hang out ;)

Yeah! I was hoping you'd pop in I saw a few of your posts on here when I was browsing.

Yeah I dunno man all I know is I have avolition, affective flattening, and alogia, which I discussed more above. If those 3 things exist in another condition somewhere else I'd be eager to hear about it! Someone else mentioned that since I show a positive response to stimulants it may mean I have something going on with my dopamine regulation, so that's a clue too I suppose. If anyone has knowledge about that that could be useful as well. Group buys huh? Interesting, I'll send him a message. Yeah I'll probably revise my OP and throw it up on there as well, can't hurt!

Thanks a lot guys for the prompt responses it means a lot, I'm used to discussions about this subject taking weeks. A few people mentioned Zyprexa helping them with the negatives. A quick google search confirmed a lot of studies on this and interestingly enough I've never seen this mentioned before. It's funny, you think you've exhausted every option and then randomly something pops up. I may consider trying this, though I'm definitely going to research it more as the AP brain atrophy is pretty serious stuff. The stuff is extremely cheap as well, like $11 for a 30 day supply.

Could those that have tried Zyprexa describe their negatives and how it improved them for them?

I hope this was clear and easy to understand I'm feeling pretty spacey today, took a while to get through this whole thing coherently.

Again thank you for the quick responses, I have a few new things to check out now!

#11 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:00 AM

What was your dose and frequency for pregnenolone? I'm curious after reading your posts and then this other thread on pregnenolone and schizophrenia.

#12 AlmostEasy

• Topic Starter
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:39 AM

What was your dose and frequency for pregnenolone? I'm curious after reading your posts and then this other thread on pregnenolone and schizophrenia.

I would take 3g in the morning and 2g at night. I don't remember why, but I decided upon that amount in that way. I started taking it a while ago sometimes I forget exact details, I should probably have a regimen journal. Honestly i don't even remember why decided it was a supplement I needed to continue to take, I put it on auto monthly order. Absolutely nothing has helped me more than minuscule amounts aside from modafinil. But from my research pregnenolone can be very effective for some people.

#13 Heraclitus

• 23 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:44 AM

I would take 3g in the morning and 2g at night. I don't remember why, but I decided upon that amount in that way. I started taking it a while ago sometimes I forget exact details, I should probably have a regimen journal. Honestly i don't even remember why decided it was a supplement I needed to continue to take, I put it on auto monthly order. Absolutely nothing has helped me more than minuscule amounts aside from modafinil. But from my research pregnenolone can be very effective for some people.

Pregnenolone is effective in the 30mg-100mg range, check out this thread.

#14 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

Yeah if I could afford everything that I think MIGHT have helped a little bit I would take it. Right now I'm most concerned about affording modafinil and sarcosine. I will definitely check out some fish oil high in EPA, I've been meaning to do that for a while. I've just been taking the whatever bulk brand. I'll look into the

I'm a bit hesitant to try out anti-psychotics after 1 reading the study of APs causing brain atrophy and 2 reading a large amount of forum posts of people complaining about APs GIVING them cognition/memory/blunting problems.

Could you elaborate on what you mean when you said "I would keep Vitamin B9 and take B12 - maybe just on a weekly basis to avoid high homocysteine." -- what would cause that?

I would still go for an antipsychotic.

A few studies I found on amisulpride and negative symptoms.
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7802104 (placebo controlled study with schizophrenics who do not have positive symptoms! This is basically you ;) ) (At least that's what I understand when they say 'pure negative symptoms'.)
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7894879
http://bjp.rcpsych.o...ntent/171/6/564

edit: http://schizophrenia.../2/193.full.pdf
That is a meta-analysis which looks at several studies where low-dose amisulpride was used for negative symptoms. Very interesting.

more on homocysteine:
http://www.schizophr...folate-and-b12/

Since there seems to be a genetic predisposition for schizophrenics to have high homocysteine levels, taking B9 and B12 should be beneficial or might prevent getting worse. If you should have low B12 levels, you could benefit from it (I don't think it was in your list). You have to take appr. 1000 mcg per day.

Edited by longschi, 19 March 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#15 abcmanomandriepunt1

• 133 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

i´ve been thinking that you also might be prodromal, i´ve read about schizo´s having negative symptoms for years before they got schizophrenia. it´s normal ¨progression´ to first have negative symptoms and then positive, although usually it goes faster. But don´t stare blind on one diagnoses, it might also be major depression or something else. Do you have existential thoughts or feelings?

you do have to keep realistic and it might be possible to never get back to how it was before. I wanted that too, but it's probably not completely possible. Hopefully you reach a point that your oke to setlle, even if it's a bit lower then before, but then you should already be content.

I think zyprexa or some other antipsychotic might help you with alogia, since it works in improven the tempral lobe and that's the speach center. i notice it improved my speach and i too suffered from terrible speach problems. My whole syntax was messed up and i couldn't form a normal sentence.

NGF peptides, like in lion's mane or cerebrolysin, might help with some other negative symptoms and i think they might help with the two other you suffer from. there are people saying they reckonise body language more while on cerebrolysin, and i personally feel more need for social contact with my NGF stack.

a word of precaution : don't rush too carelessly into things, take it easy and take one thing at the time. Don't overdose on things and meanwhile keep yourself busy with other things.

about my condition. i have no idea what i have, but i don't think i have the common genetic form of schizophrenia, but more a dissociative disorder with psychotic symptoms. Some docs say i have psychotic depression, some say i have schizophrenia and my current says i have mild schizophrenia ánd and dissociative disorder (and cfs). i think there's a good change time might heal me, since i got stuff after one big nasty burn out.

I do worry about the zyprexa and brain atrophy and to counter that i take n-acetylcysteine and lion's mane and other ngf stuff, since i read in a research paper that the brain atrophy might be because of lowering of ngf in de frontal lobe and hippocampus. I feel pretty good on it, and that's why i keep taking it. It's a bit of a grey area though, since the websites claiming it's brain damage are from alternative healing websites and the websites claiming it's neuroprotective might be some pharmaceutical propaganda.

I think a combo of low dose antipscyhotic for the alogia and a NGF stack and modafinil, might improve you big time.

#16 abcmanomandriepunt1

• 133 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

reading your posts again it does sound like dementia preacox (schizophrenia), but you should definitely see somebody to get a proper diagnose, cause it might be also for example be some other mental disease or some rare premature dementia case (like fronto temperal dementia..i don't wanna play house, but you never know). do you feel somethimes 'dement'? example : impulses to strange behaviour, like siting somewhere outside, feel and impulse to poo and realise one second later you shouldn't do that outside. Schizo's often feel dement, but so do major depressed people, and some other psychiatric diseases. zyprexa helped me with that feeling, yes i feel ashamed to admit a bit that i was such a dement case that i almost did really inappropriate stuff.

anyways, i stick with my opinion that you should try stuff (with precaution) to counter the degeneration which is unfortunately probably going on (Same here) with things like coconut oil, fish oil, eggs with runny eggs yolks, lion's mane, aswagandha, turmeric, ALCAR, n-acetylcysteine, pqq, cerebrolysin, exercise to name a few.

edit : one other typical schizophrenic symptom is that everything feels very easily like too much and too stressfull. difficult to comprehend. if i'm not mistaking you already said you had that so that also point in this direction . Do you somethimes feel life's too complicated to handle, and that you feel like you need help with things?

Edited by tylerdurden, 19 March 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#17 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

It think those doses are way too high. I've been reading about pregnenolone lately, and haven't come across anything higher than a 500mg dose, and that was very rare. As Heraclitus suggested, you might want to cut it down to a more sensible dose, e.g. start at 30 or 50mg and go from there. Also, having your pregnenolone levels (and others like DHEA and progesterone) tested before and after would be a good idea to ensure things are indeed getting better instead of worse.

#18 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:55 AM

I think some of you underestimate Pregnenolone, even in healthy people Preg has health benefits with almost no downsides.. In the thread-link from Heraclitus I've already explained the effects of Preg on me, you should give Preg time to build up in the brain.

Wohooo Zyprexa helping negatives, I won't believe that in a million years, Zyprexa and me were old friends, he always fucked me over instead of helping me :) Like already mentioned, I think you should go with Amulsupride, next to study's I heard more people saying it helps negs in low dosages.

And if you find benefits from stimulants, that confirms somewhat our assumption that you are not schizophrenics (most schizo's can't tolerate stims, only maybe Vyvanse which has Lysine molecule bound to it).
  • like x 1

#19 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

Hi,

You wrote that You;
cant think straight,
cant plan and organize properly,
blunt in facial emotions
have almost a completly lack of affect ( incl. alogia and other)
cant socialize and dont care much about.

This looks for me quiet like a Cannabis induced disorder, since I got the same symptoms but with a varying degree.
None of the Meds/Sups which doesnt work for You, worked for me.
Therefore my suspicion.

Except: Ehtylphenidate, sometimes in combination with other substances. Who I have now to pay the bill for it..
and low dose 50- 100 mg Amisulpride which wasnt overwhelming, since the desensitation cames fast, and for me to take lifelong substance XY isnt a solution.

The reason why Noradrenaline reputake inhibitors "should" help, like in the case of Negative symptoms in schizophrenia is
because the uptake of dopamine in the Mesocortical pathway is triggered by it, unlike in the Mesolimbic structures where they uptake is triggered by dopamine itself.
The same case is for 5-ht2a antagonist. These receptors inhibit dopamine release in the Mesocortical pathway (which is as well related to the negative symptoms) increase the dopamine content in the Mesolimbic pathway( 5-ht2c receptors do the opposite) and so in the Striatum

The Striatum is responsible for motor function( maybe facial expression as well ?), mood, affect and processing information along with the thalamus (correct me if I´m wrong) as well for diseases like Ocd, depression, addiction, Parkinson.
I read somewhere that, in regards to the affect, everthing stands and falls with the function of the Striatum.

I have to add that venlafaxin, wich increases overall 5-ht and NE transmission didnt help me at all, so therefore I have no explanation why it didnt help.

So, Thc increases dopamine in the Striatum (curiously both cannabinoid receptor 1 agonist and antagonist increase dopamine) but on the longterm it leads to a decrease. As far as I understand the papers, leads Thc transietly to a decrease of Tyrosine Hydrooxylase in the striatum.

Doesnt sound bad, but when consumed in adolesence, it can have lasting effects ( maybe due bad organisation of synapses or abortisation ? I dont know)
and in addition, the problems are not related to a single areal.

A research abstract about Striatum and Thc
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22909787

So I still dont know for My and maybe Your case, which brain regions are ultimately responsible since they are all connected. As a example increasing glutamate in the Striatum leads to an increase of dopamine in the PFC( prefrontal cortex) and vica versa, or the hippocampus which is responsible for brain wave modulation
Btw researcher have shown: an abnormal brain wave pattern in Cannabis abusers as well as lasting decreased dopamine transmission in the prefrontal cortex which is transiently alleviated by ampethamine.

If You take a look at Wiki it might explain one of Your symptoms:
Studies have shown cannabidiol decreases activity of the limbic system[14] and decreases social isolation induced by THC.[15]
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Cannabidiol

Since You live in the Usa, You could give Cannabidiol (CBD) a try and maybe Amisulpride, a reversible Mao-b inhibitor like hordenine or green oat extract ( e.g. Neuravena)
which is a pde-4 inhibitor as well, because those worked at least for me.

http://dixiebotanica...p-oil-capsules/

Hope that I could help You.

Dont give up the Hope who knows what the near Future is capable to serve.
Even without many social contacts You can get a comfortable Life with Your loved ones.

Trust me, Life can be worser, like as I made it out of desperation with Ethylphenidate and others, I couldnt even enjoy the things that I used to, just like a robot.

Edited by Flex, 20 March 2014 - 08:37 AM.

• like x 2

#20 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

A few years later Caspi et al. (2005) took this genetic approach and assessed the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene. Their rationale for this is that COMT is involved in the metabolism of dopamine in the prefrontal cortex and dopaminergic deregulation is thought to play a role in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia. The authors concluded that the link between cannabis and psychosis was moderated by a COMT gene polymorphism. That is, cannabis users in their teen years who carried the COMPT valine allele were the most likely to develop psychotic symptoms. On the other hand, teens with two copies of the methionine allele did not present this risk even when using cannabis. This study presented some strong evidence for the stress diathesis model of cannabis and psychosis.

http://cannabisandps...ity-hypothesis/

Your genetic makeup plays a huge role. There are people who can smoke cannabis all day without developing schizophrenic symptoms and others who are vulnerable and increase their risk immensely.
Have you ever abused alcohol? There's a tendency in psychiatry to leave out alcohol and focus on cannabis when it comes to schizophrenia. I stopped drinking alcohol a couple of months ago and it's one of the best steps I've done to get better. Getting drunk every week or every other week really had a huge negative impact on my mental health.

edit: Do you socially withdraw yourself? I don't seem to have many negative symptoms, but that's the one I struggle with the most. I tend to isolate myself despite enjoying other people's company. This has been going on for years and I didn't even realize it until I got really sick.

Edited by longschi, 20 March 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#21 abcmanomandriepunt1

• 133 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

i think Flex is right about the dopamine in the prefrontal cortex and that i was wrong about the temperal lobe, speach areas are also in the frontal lobe. there's probably more involved so it is probably a rough scetch. I would also look for stuff increasing Nerve growth factor in the prefrontal cortex and it's highly possible you won't react to lion's mane since it's (if im not mistaking) mainly known for increasing NGF in the hippocampus. i did a quick search and found somebody saying on longecity that cymbalta increases ngf in the prefrontal cortex. NGF might increase dopamine, so it might improve you,just like stimulants and glutamate agnoists, which also increase dopamine.

edit : i would give cerebrolysin a try, it also works on the pre frontal cortex

Edited by tylerdurden, 20 March 2014 - 12:39 PM.

• like x 1

#22 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

I think some of you underestimate Pregnenolone, even in healthy people Preg has health benefits with almost no downsides.. In the thread-link from Heraclitus I've already explained the effects of Preg on me, you should give Preg time to build up in the brain.

Wohooo Zyprexa helping negatives, I won't believe that in a million years, Zyprexa and me were old friends, he always fucked me over instead of helping me :) Like already mentioned, I think you should go with Amulsupride, next to study's I heard more people saying it helps negs in low dosages.

And if you find benefits from stimulants, that confirms somewhat our assumption that you are not schizophrenics (most schizo's can't tolerate stims, only maybe Vyvanse which has Lysine molecule bound to it).

I just ordered some 10 mg capsules of pregnenolone, and plan on taking it sublingually. If my results are good enough to talk about, I'll create a new thread on the topic. Just from my brief research so far, I agree, it does seem to be an underappreciated and often overlooked substance.

From your knowledge and experience, how long does it take to build up in the brain?

#23 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

Regarding affect i can Report something.
In the time when i consumed ethylphenidate i mixed it with weed and a bit maprotiline.

I was like outchanged, the flat affect that i suffered was gone, i laughed and could Talk about anything the whole night without a break !
The next day when i took mitrazapine the talk active state was completly abolished, so i assume that 1) it has something to do with a2 adrenergic blockade 2) with 5-ht2 blockade, which in turn would mean that there is a subcortical implication or 3) something Different.

Dont missunderstand me i dont want to encourage someone to try this mixture!! As i allready told, this brought me to my current Situation, and i would gladly reverse it.
I just want to point out a possible explanation or cause for the affective impairment caused by Thc

There is something that i've forgotten.
Quentiapine 100mg)has helped me to a relative good extend, even better than Amisulpride.

It increases the "Power" to speak, so to say and some cognitive issues, but impairs sleep.
So if you are interrested, consider that it could cause bloodclotting disorders i.e. Thikens the blood which can be fatal.

And better avoid Ritalin and amphetamine since both can be neurotoxic, even in therapeutic doses

Edited by Flex, 21 March 2014 - 02:43 AM.

#24 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:20 AM

I just ordered some 10 mg capsules of pregnenolone, and plan on taking it sublingually. If my results are good enough to talk about, I'll create a new thread on the topic. Just from my brief research so far, I agree, it does seem to be an underappreciated and often overlooked substance.

From your knowledge and experience, how long does it take to build up in the brain?

Well, I started with 50mg caps, that already lifts up mood and all other positive things I mentioned in the other thread. However, about it's cognitive effects I can't really tell because I already was on Clonazepam (which is a cognitive killer) but looking back at the period I started Preg, up to 2-3 months some negatives improved (going to the gym without and being around people without hesitation) and up to 6 months it took that I noticed great improvement in memory/language which still continues to improve. So you should try out and see for yourself if you are not using benzo's or any other cognition killers meds (like AP's) you might notice faster improvements.
  • like x 1

#25 AlmostEasy

• Topic Starter
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:02 AM

Alright, here we go.

I've ordered Lion's Mane and bulk ALCAR, upon investigation of research and anecdotal evidence it seems like it could help quite a bit, pretty excited to try it. Additionally I did research on olanzapine (Zyprexa) and amisulpride and it looks like they're both equally effective and statistically proven to help with negatives, how I missed this in my month long obsessive research binge I do not know. I'd like to take a little more time to flush out what I'm currently trying and do a little more research on the brain atrophy issue before trying it but at the moment I'm pretty excited about that as well.

Other than that I bought some high EPA fish oil from the store (should've just waited and ordered online..) some D3, and some quality multi's. Between that and sarcosine I'm feeling a litlte better I think, on a moment to moment basis I'm a bit less freaked out and red lined. My day to day awareness is so wishy washy that it's hard to tell sometimes if something is having a direct positive affect unless it's quite substantial, such as the modafinil. That's immediately obvious. Everything else seems to follow the pattern of just happening to notice that hey, at this moment I kind of feel ok, hmmm I wonder if it's because x,y,z. It's never overwhelmingly profound. The major problems still exist but I'm definitely a bit calmer moment to moment. The core problems are still there but it's nice to just feel ok for a little while sometimes.

That should cover a good portion of the discussion but I'll respond to individual stuff too.

i´ve been thinking that you also might be prodromal, i´ve read about schizo´s having negative symptoms for years before they got schizophrenia. it´s normal ¨progression´ to first have negative symptoms and then positive, although usually it goes faster. But don´t stare blind on one diagnoses, it might also be major depression or something else. Do you have existential thoughts or feelings?

you do have to keep realistic and it might be possible to never get back to how it was before. I wanted that too, but it's probably not completely possible. Hopefully you reach a point that your oke to setlle, even if it's a bit lower then before, but then you should already be content.

I think zyprexa or some other antipsychotic might help you with alogia, since it works in improven the tempral lobe and that's the speach center. i notice it improved my speach and i too suffered from terrible speach problems. My whole syntax was messed up and i couldn't form a normal sentence.

NGF peptides, like in lion's mane or cerebrolysin, might help with some other negative symptoms and i think they might help with the two other you suffer from. there are people saying they reckonise body language more while on cerebrolysin, and i personally feel more need for social contact with my NGF stack.

a word of precaution : don't rush too carelessly into things, take it easy and take one thing at the time. Don't overdose on things and meanwhile keep yourself busy with other things.

about my condition. i have no idea what i have, but i don't think i have the common genetic form of schizophrenia, but more a dissociative disorder with psychotic symptoms. Some docs say i have psychotic depression, some say i have schizophrenia and my current says i have mild schizophrenia ánd and dissociative disorder (and cfs). i think there's a good change time might heal me, since i got stuff after one big nasty burn out.

I do worry about the zyprexa and brain atrophy and to counter that i take n-acetylcysteine and lion's mane and other ngf stuff, since i read in a research paper that the brain atrophy might be because of lowering of ngf in de frontal lobe and hippocampus. I feel pretty good on it, and that's why i keep taking it. It's a bit of a grey area though, since the websites claiming it's brain damage are from alternative healing websites and the websites claiming it's neuroprotective might be some pharmaceutical propaganda.

I think a combo of low dose antipscyhotic for the alogia and a NGF stack and modafinil, might improve you big time.

Yeah I have that fear in the back of my mind as well, although as more and more time passes that seems less and less likely. My sanity feels infinitely solid it's just muh brain havin a few hiccups atm.

I think if I can reach a place where I can comfortably socialize and just be able to effectively express myself I'll be fine. I don't need to feel like a super genius I just wan't to be able to function normally. I used to be so adamant about displaying my intelligence which I don't care about too much anymore. I just want to be able to be free. Once I can break through that point I feel like I'll be capable of pursuing anything I want to without questioning whether my brain problems will hold me back.

I'll definitely check out the neuroprotective properties of the NAC/NGF. That's very interesting

reading your posts again it does sound like dementia preacox (schizophrenia), but you should definitely see somebody to get a proper diagnose, cause it might be also for example be some other mental disease or some rare premature dementia case (like fronto temperal dementia..i don't wanna play house, but you never know). do you feel somethimes 'dement'? example : impulses to strange behaviour, like siting somewhere outside, feel and impulse to poo and realise one second later you shouldn't do that outside. Schizo's often feel dement, but so do major depressed people, and some other psychiatric diseases. zyprexa helped me with that feeling, yes i feel ashamed to admit a bit that i was such a dement case that i almost did really inappropriate stuff.

anyways, i stick with my opinion that you should try stuff (with precaution) to counter the degeneration which is unfortunately probably going on (Same here) with things like coconut oil, fish oil, eggs with runny eggs yolks, lion's mane, aswagandha, turmeric, ALCAR, n-acetylcysteine, pqq, cerebrolysin, exercise to name a few.

edit : one other typical schizophrenic symptom is that everything feels very easily like too much and too stressfull. difficult to comprehend. if i'm not mistaking you already said you had that so that also point in this direction . Do you somethimes feel life's too complicated to handle, and that you feel like you need help with things?

Ummm no I don't usually have any unusual impulses, I think I have had some funny thoughts a few times in the past just because I realized wow I have no emotional or situational awareness of these social interactions I could totally do something off the wall at any moment and not be phased lol. But maybe only a few times in the whole time period. I could definitely see that becoming a problem if you became paranoid about it, I just sort of brushed it off.

I've never really been prone to stress in my life I could never really relate to being stressed out as funny as that sounds, but I can very much relate to just mentally being unable to process demanding work situations. Like if the boss came in and made some major overhauls of our work routines I would have to kind of take a personal break and reflect on everything and why it happened, and that usually doesn't work out so well as I have a hard time remembering exactly what happened. I mostly just end up in confusion. It definitely prevents me from attempting to get a more demanding/higher paying job. I'm just not sure if I could pick it up fast enough. Give me enough time and I can do anything but some jobs I qualify for are pretty intimidating. I don't know if I'd be able to learn at the pace they would expect of a normal person.

It think those doses are way too high. I've been reading about pregnenolone lately, and haven't come across anything higher than a 500mg dose, and that was very rare. As Heraclitus suggested, you might want to cut it down to a more sensible dose, e.g. start at 30 or 50mg and go from there. Also, having your pregnenolone levels (and others like DHEA and progesterone) tested before and after would be a good idea to ensure things are indeed getting better instead of worse.

Yeah I remember when I was researching that most doses were in those ranges and initially I was taking the little 25 mg tabs but for some reason I started buying higher doses, can't remember why.

I did some research on both of those (Zyprexa/Amisulpride) and the effectiveness of treating the negs was statistically significant and nearly equal in both. I've seen a lot of positive reports with Zyprexa that's a bummer it didn't work so well for you. It looks like Zyprexa may be my only choice though as apparently Amisulpride isn't FDA approved in the U.S. Very strange.

As far as the stimulants go I tolerated the Adderal very well but with the Vyvanse it was a nightmare man. It would be cool when it was in my system but it gave me like a guaranteed 2 weeks of hellish chemical induced depression, every time I tried it. I refuse to ever take that stuff again. I did that cycle several times too, it's a very seductive drug. It's pretty great when you're on it. Everything is just awesome.

Hi,

You wrote that You;
cant think straight,
cant plan and organize properly,
blunt in facial emotions
have almost a completly lack of affect ( incl. alogia and other)
cant socialize and dont care much about.

This looks for me quiet like a Cannabis induced disorder, since I got the same symptoms but with a varying degree.
None of the Meds/Sups which doesnt work for You, worked for me.
Therefore my suspicion.

Except: Ehtylphenidate, sometimes in combination with other substances. Who I have now to pay the bill for it..
and low dose 50- 100 mg Amisulpride which wasnt overwhelming, since the desensitation cames fast, and for me to take lifelong substance XY isnt a solution.

The reason why Noradrenaline reputake inhibitors "should" help, like in the case of Negative symptoms in schizophrenia is
because the uptake of dopamine in the Mesocortical pathway is triggered by it, unlike in the Mesolimbic structures where they uptake is triggered by dopamine itself.
The same case is for 5-ht2a antagonist. These receptors inhibit dopamine release in the Mesocortical pathway (which is as well related to the negative symptoms) increase the dopamine content in the Mesolimbic pathway( 5-ht2c receptors do the opposite) and so in the Striatum

The Striatum is responsible for motor function( maybe facial expression as well ?), mood, affect and processing information along with the thalamus (correct me if I´m wrong) as well for diseases like Ocd, depression, addiction, Parkinson.
I read somewhere that, in regards to the affect, everthing stands and falls with the function of the Striatum.

I have to add that venlafaxin, wich increases overall 5-ht and NE transmission didnt help me at all, so therefore I have no explanation why it didnt help.

So, Thc increases dopamine in the Striatum (curiously both cannabinoid receptor 1 agonist and antagonist increase dopamine) but on the longterm it leads to a decrease. As far as I understand the papers, leads Thc transietly to a decrease of Tyrosine Hydrooxylase in the striatum.

Doesnt sound bad, but when consumed in adolesence, it can have lasting effects ( maybe due bad organisation of synapses or abortisation ? I dont know)
and in addition, the problems are not related to a single areal.

A research abstract about Striatum and Thc
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22909787

So I still dont know for My and maybe Your case, which brain regions are ultimately responsible since they are all connected. As a example increasing glutamate in the Striatum leads to an increase of dopamine in the PFC( prefrontal cortex) and vica versa, or the hippocampus which is responsible for brain wave modulation
Btw researcher have shown: an abnormal brain wave pattern in Cannabis abusers as well as lasting decreased dopamine transmission in the prefrontal cortex which is transiently alleviated by ampethamine.

If You take a look at Wiki it might explain one of Your symptoms:
Studies have shown cannabidiol decreases activity of the limbic system[14] and decreases social isolation induced by THC.[15]
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Cannabidiol

Since You live in the Usa, You could give Cannabidiol (CBD) a try and maybe Amisulpride, a reversible Mao-b inhibitor like hordenine or green oat extract ( e.g. Neuravena)
which is a pde-4 inhibitor as well, because those worked at least for me.

http://dixiebotanica...p-oil-capsules/

Hope that I could help You.

Dont give up the Hope who knows what the near Future is capable to serve.
Even without many social contacts You can get a comfortable Life with Your loved ones.

Trust me, Life can be worser, like as I made it out of desperation with Ethylphenidate and others, I couldnt even enjoy the things that I used to, just like a robot.

Very very interesting stuff. Before I started to consider what my problems really were and what caused them I would occasionally smoke weed again and it was pretty hit or miss but interestingly enough when I did have a favorable high it did put some of my problems into a remission. I'm definitely drawn towards trying CBD, but from what I read it's absurdly expensive.

Yeah I overlooked this in my OP but I actually was on Venlafaxine (Effexor) for about 8 or 9 months. It didn't really have any effects and I was mostly on it out of pure desperation and pressure from my doctor that I needed an anti depressant.

Thank you though for getting technical with your observations, I have a hard time getting myself to dig into that stuff so I'll definitely dissect this when I'm ready. I'm gonna take a few days off of the obsessive research to relax myself a bit but this will be one of the first things on my list.

A few years later Caspi et al. (2005) took this genetic approach and assessed the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene. Their rationale for this is that COMT is involved in the metabolism of dopamine in the prefrontal cortex and dopaminergic deregulation is thought to play a role in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia. The authors concluded that the link between cannabis and psychosis was moderated by a COMT gene polymorphism. That is, cannabis users in their teen years who carried the COMPT valine allele were the most likely to develop psychotic symptoms. On the other hand, teens with two copies of the methionine allele did not present this risk even when using cannabis. This study presented some strong evidence for the stress diathesis model of cannabis and psychosis.

http://cannabisandps...ity-hypothesis/

Your genetic makeup plays a huge role. There are people who can smoke cannabis all day without developing schizophrenic symptoms and others who are vulnerable and increase their risk immensely.
Have you ever abused alcohol? There's a tendency in psychiatry to leave out alcohol and focus on cannabis when it comes to schizophrenia. I stopped drinking alcohol a couple of months ago and it's one of the best steps I've done to get better. Getting drunk every week or every other week really had a huge negative impact on my mental health.

edit: Do you socially withdraw yourself? I don't seem to have many negative symptoms, but that's the one I struggle with the most. I tend to isolate myself despite enjoying other people's company. This has been going on for years and I didn't even realize it until I got really sick.

I've drank quite a bit of alcohol in my life, in binge amounts as well. My social circle drinks quite a bit, and I enjoy it a lot myself but ever since this problem came about I tend to binge almost every time we party. I've seriously considered not drinking at all but sometimes it's pretty hard to pass up. Probably drink 2-3 times a month.

I definitely socially withdrawal myself. Weekends I tend to go through the motions and go out and do things because I genuinely really want to (different from able to) and it keeps me feeling normal. If I closed off the weekends and started just hiding out at home that would not be good, I don't think I'd let myself either I want to enjoy my life as much as I can. I've refused to submit to it. Before all of this I had a fairly large group of friends and acquaintances and I'd make new ones all the time and just naturally go with the flow hey let's go here wanna do this? Sure why not. Now I only partake in a select few as I just can't commit to new relationships because I can't create those bonds. It ends up always being these forced unnatural one sided relationships that I can't enjoy and end up just being a huge huge mental burden. A lot of guilt comes with that too. Ignored phone calls and messages and the such, broken connections. I find being alone, while depressing, is sometimes my best choice. I want nothing more than to go out and be free but I've banged my head against that wall for so many years, it just doesn't work. So I've accepted a certain amount of isolation.

i think Flex is right about the dopamine in the prefrontal cortex and that i was wrong about the temperal lobe, speach areas are also in the frontal lobe. there's probably more involved so it is probably a rough scetch. I would also look for stuff increasing Nerve growth factor in the prefrontal cortex and it's highly possible you won't react to lion's mane since it's (if im not mistaking) mainly known for increasing NGF in the hippocampus. i did a quick search and found somebody saying on longecity that cymbalta increases ngf in the prefrontal cortex. NGF might increase dopamine, so it might improve you,just like stimulants and glutamate agnoists, which also increase dopamine.

edit : i would give cerebrolysin a try, it also works on the pre frontal cortex

I belive Effexor (Venlafaxine) is the generic brand of Cymbalta, which I should've already mentioned I was on for about 9 months. It didn't really do anything it was just a severely desperate time for me. I was also hoping it would have that stimulant type effect, but no luck :(

It's becoming apparent that I should start doing some more serious research on exact functions of exact areas of the brain, which areas coincide with certain diseases, what drugs I've tried and what areas are affected by the drugs that have worked for me and the like. I'll probably make a spreadsheet and throw it up on here and see what you guys think. I've kind of been avoiding that level of detail but I think it's about time I start. I think I really felt like I didn't deserve to have to be put through something like that, like really universe? It's bad enough I have this problem but now I have to devote half my life to studying biochemistry? but if that's what it's going to take, I should probably just do it.

Also, I'll google that, thanks dude

Regarding affect i can Report something.
In the time when i consumed ethylphenidate i mixed it with weed and a bit maprotiline.

I was like outchanged, the flat affect that i suffered was gone, i laughed and could Talk about anything the whole night without a break !
The next day when i took mitrazapine the talk active state was completly abolished, so i assume that 1) it has something to do with a2 adrenergic blockade 2) with 5-ht2 blockade, which in turn would mean that there is a subcortical implication or 3) something Different.

Dont missunderstand me i dont want to encourage someone to try this mixture!! As i allready told, this brought me to my current Situation, and i would gladly reverse it.
I just want to point out a possible explanation or cause for the affective impairment caused by Thc

There is something that i've forgotten.
Quentiapine 100mg)has helped me to a relative good extend, even better than Amisulpride.

It increases the "Power" to speak, so to say and some cognitive issues, but impairs sleep.
So if you are interrested, consider that it could cause bloodclotting disorders i.e. Thikens the blood which can be fatal.

Alright so just to be clear, you're talking about Ethylphenidate and not Methylphenidate (Ritalin)?

I really feel you on the power to speak thing, there's just absolutely no oomph behind my ability to speak. It's so forced and unnatural. I cannot relate to how people can talk for extended amounts of time, I'm genuinely baffled. It's time's like those that I seriously recognize a problem. And again thank you for being technical those are some really important pieces of the puzzle for me, pretty soon here I'm going to start a deeper level of research into the receptors and pathways that I've been avoiding for a while.

Alright thank you again guys so much for helping me with this. I have a pretty solid support group through my mother and a couple friends but this kind of discussion gives me more hope than anything, I can only take so much from supportive talks. So thank you very much, I've got a bunch of new leads and have already ordered a few things. I'm going to take a day or so off from the obsessive research to rest my mind but I'll be checking the forums every day.

Later guys!
  • like x 2

#26 Olon

• 109 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

High dose ALCAR in contrast to low dose also has an impact on gene regulation (e.g. mGluR2 upregulation). This effect has a one week delay. NAC helps to stimulate mGlu2 Receptors by raising glutamate concentrations in their compartments.

#27 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

I would really advise you to give up drinking unless you only drink 1-2 small beers. Getting drunk on a regular basis holds you back and will make a full recovery much, much harder in my opinion. It's not like you feel better after not drinking for a couple of weeks or a month, but on the long-term you will benefit from giving up alcohol. Every substance you abuse needs to get out of your life if you want to recover.
After you haven't drunk any alcohol for a couple of months, you will start to realize how 'normal' substance abuse is in our society.
I mean, some apparently can get drunk regularly without any major problems, but this is not really an option when you're mentally ill. Then getting drunk is a very bad idea.

It's unfortunate that you can't get amisulpride in the U.S. Olanzapine can cause quite a bit of weight gain. Amisulpride is not as bad in that regard. But as long as it gets the job done.

How long have you meditated and why did you stop? It's something that I started two to three weeks ago and I meditate 1 hour a day. Meditation has very beneficial effects on the brain and you might wanna stick with it. If you tend to isolate yourself, you probably have one thing: time ;)
  • like x 2

#28 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:47 AM

The mixture was indeed with Ethylpehnidate.

Regarding Olanzapine I have to warn You, taking certain Antipsychotics could turn really bad !
Please read some user reviews of Olanzepine before going any further.

I was a few Years ago perscribed to Risperdal (by a senseless idea of the Doc) took half of a pack (ca.15x2mg tablets overall) and it turned to a nightmare.
I was literaly turned overnight to a pensioner with even lesser affect, no cognition, no sex drive etc.
I went a few months after that to school again, but gave up because of those side effects, it just wasnt possible!
It took 1 Year to recover to a good extend and a further year to be the same again, just read some reports about it.

But if You type Risperdal in ncbi, You will find something about reduction of negative symptoms and so on. I can not explain you why this is so striking to my own experiences, but its true.

Quetiapine blocks only about 30% of receptors instead 60-70% than usual i.e. typical and atypical antipsychotics.
and some effects are Non-Dopaminergic
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11303062

Furthermore, from my experinece Quetiapine 100mg doesnt seem ( at least in the first month) to differ noticable from Antidepressants with anticholinergic effects like Opipramol.
But its never compareable to Risperdal

Edited by Flex, 23 March 2014 - 05:02 AM.

#29 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

Quietapine was terrible for me: headeaches, heart racing, muscle and bone pain, hematomas, sleeping 14 hours a day, feeling like a zombie
Even 25mg could cause most of these side effects. I was able to take it for a week.

This shows you that everyone reacts very differently. I can't take that medication at all. The only thing you can do is try. Kinda frustrating, but currently there's no way to tell how someone will react to an antipsychotic.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

Wow, I had occasionally, in the first month, taken even up to 300mg/day and noticed just a distrupted sleep, so 6h instead of 8h, increased adrenaline and forgetfulness. And thats all.

So,Excuse me for accidently downplay the effects of Quietapine.
I didnt know that peolpe can respond such different.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: schizophrenia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users