* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#661 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:49 AM

Bryan, can I ask what your NR and Nam intake levels are at present?

I noticed a significant bump in energy when I first started NR, but it soon subsided. And discontinuing for 2 weeks didn't seem to have a perceptible effect. (Nor was there a perceptible rebound when I started up again.)

Niacinamide, on the other hand, still has a powerful effect on my sleep (even at just 500 mg). And Niacinamide + Glycine is the best sleeping potion I've ever discovered. (I've been vegetarian for decades, so a Glycine deficiency is not improbable.)

With NR I use 1,000 mg per day spread evenly across the daylight hours. I take 2,000 mg of Nicotinamide at the end of the day before bed and can get to sleep usually within 10 minutes.

You bring up an important point about Glycine and its funny it doesn't have this effect on me in the morning but your point is well taken.

NR sure does sound like a total bust. From my own experience to what people here write, no one has gotten even a little of the effect that Sinclair got in mice when injecting NMN. Meanwhile the manufacturer keeps ripping everyone off and people keep buying another useless supplement. Seems like another useless overpriced supp.

Yeah. Seemed like it had promise, though, didn't it? These reports that "are all over the place" sound a lot like placebo.

You know, I read "Reason"'s posts here and at the Fight Aging site, and he's really a broken record when it comes metabolism. To all these supplements introduced and marketed and trailed on us here by these businessmen posing as scientists, is that what's up here... Attempting to understand human metabolism, Reason and de Gray and so many others keep insisting, and then tampering with metabolism through the use of unstudied, unregulated supplements is really a waste of time, money, hope.

NR seems like another dud in a very long list of other supplements that are probably equally useless. Live and learn...

#662 The_Next_LX

• 32 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:58 AM

--the most critical DNA error checking happens at times of cell division and because these error checking enzymes are NAD consumers and you never know when a stem cell division will happen and when it does you need a adequate NAD pool when the need arises. So just from an arthritis and cancer prevention standpoint daily NAD boosting makes sense.

(....)

It hasn't made me a day younger but I feel a whole lot better than I did.

(....)

I also feel I need to say that 125 or 250 mg per day while still better than nothing, won't carry you thru the entire day but that's my opinion.

Excellent post.

Re skin cancer, nearly five years ago I had to have Mohs surgery for removal of basal cell carcinoma on my face. Later this month I will have to have (non-Mohs) surgery on my arm.

Re dosage, I have been taking 500 mg per day, and now I am attempting to up the dose to 1000 mg, but it's hard to work it into my schedule.

This coming April, I will be 62. I'm not hoping to become any younger--I'm hoping to age just a bit more slowly.

• like x 2

#663 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:07 AM

--the most critical DNA error checking happens at times of cell division and because these error checking enzymes are NAD consumers and you never know when a stem cell division will happen and when it does you need a adequate NAD pool when the need arises. So just from an arthritis and cancer prevention standpoint daily NAD boosting makes sense.

(....)

It hasn't made me a day younger but I feel a whole lot better than I did.

(....)

I also feel I need to say that 125 or 250 mg per day while still better than nothing, won't carry you thru the entire day but that's my opinion.

Excellent post.

This coming April, I will be 62. I'm not hoping to become any younger--I'm hoping to age just a bit more slowly.

Exactly......I feel there are far to many people round here looking for some sort of wonder drug, that within a few moths of taking it, they will see that they have become five years younger....I feel you are expecting too much I'm afraid.

And another thing here, IMO, is that younger fit people, that decide to take things like NR are not going to really see or feel much in the way benefits, as they are usually in good health. And in general people that are in good health are metabolically far less likely to feel large benefits from things such as NR. Though they are most likely still benefiting by the fact that the NR may just be keeping them younger on a cellular level and they just don't notice the fact.....

I am sure in the distant future there will be a magical pill, bur for now its baby steps and I personally think NR is a large step in the right direction.

I have been taking NR for 6 months and feel an obvious benefit as I have a couple of health issues and was feeling the strain, now its not as much of a strain than it was.

I am however quite cautious as I do not want to make my health any worse. It took me around one year from finding out about NR and actually taking it.....And I did so because I read everything I could find on the subject and came to the decision that it was worth taking. A lot of what I spent hours and hours reading was difficult for me to understand, but it made enough sense to convince me its a good thing.

I take 250mg per day and feel livelier, both mentally and physically than I was before, I can concentrate far more than I could before accompanied by more energy..

This cannot be placebo, it has gone on far to long.

I'm convinced that mainly your age, but also your fitness level and your state of health has a lot to do with how much we may benefit from NR.....Young , fit and healthy not so much, but it may just pay off for you as you age........Your just gonna have to wait and see on that one.....

Patience, and being realistic about what to expect from these things is imperative IMO.....But hey, I'm happy that NR is making me feel better :)

And just remember you cant see whats going on inside at the cellular level, It could all be good......Rome wasn't built in a day!

Edited by midas, 06 November 2015 - 03:12 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#664 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:44 AM

I think a lot of us who are over 60 have inflammatory and joint issues. I have in the past had considerable benefits in this regard from Niacin--but much of the effect seems to be related to the flush.

That seems to make some sense intuitively. One of the reasons joints heal so slowly is because blood circulation to joints/tendons/cartilage/fascia is so poor. I think the Niacin flush increases microcirculation...but I admit the flush is still poorly understood. The other compounds upping NAD (Nam and MR) don't create a flush, but they also don't seem to do things like lower LDL cholesterol and raise HDL. So the flush remains rather mysterious. (In my case, the Niacin flush seems to eliminate problems with chronic ear infections.)

But of course not everyone can handle the flush. It exacerbates certain skin problems, and is intolerably itchy for some. And realistically, most of us have certain restrictions on when we can appear in public red as a beet!

(n.b. The flush tends to disappear as the body becomes adjusted to Niacin. But many users find that some of the benefits disappear along with the flush, and some discontinue use for a little while and then start again. Tolerance is usually short-lived when not administered every day.)

So, to get back on topic, one thing I had hoped is that NR might provide the same benefits as Niacin, without the drawbacks. For me, it doesn't. It appears to be equally effective with respect to increasing NAD, according to the science. And it may have additional benefits that are not apparent to date. But some of the odd benefits from Niacin seem to be connected with the flush, which seems to demonstrate that God (or nature, take your pick) is a Puritan, and demands suffering to reap benefits.

Before moving on, I would like to underline the fact that, to my knowledge, in terms of NAD increase, no one has ever shown that NR was superior to Niacin. The results (limited) are similar. Both tend to outperform Niacinamide.

But I'm not promoting or dissing any of them. What's fascinating to me is that we have three related compounds, all forms of the same vitamin, which have some of the same effects (upping NAD in particular), but in practice have very different "side effects" on the body.

Niacin: Circulatory benefits, arthritis relief (at least for some), cholesterol control...and NAD increase

Niacinamide: Prevention of skin (and possibly other) cancers, sleep induction...and NAD increase

Nicotinamide Riboside: NAD increase...and possibly other effects

It seems to me that Bryan, who uses two of the three, is on the right trail. It isn't a matter of which is best, but rather how to combine them for maximum benefit and minimal adverse effects.

With NR, I think some of the possible reasons results are all over the board is that our members are all of widely differing ages, have different health status, and are following different dosing amounts and timing protocols.

Midas makes an interesting point about magic bullets. Many things that are necessary for health don't have much observable effect unless there is a severe deficiency. Vitamin C and Niacin are good examples. Moderate daily intakes don't do anything noticeable (although the are vital). But when you have developed scurvy or pellagra, suddenly they ARE magic bullets.

Instead of being discouraged by the variability in results, I'm intrigued!     

• Good Point x 2
  • like x 1

#665 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:58 PM

I don't have time for a lengthy response but let me say this, we have expectations all over the board on this thread. I've only stuck my head in here from time to time to get a general sense of what people are saying and see if I could pick up on some trends. BigLabRat covered how different we all are and this is a contributing factor to our disarray.

We do have a core of NR users with some realistic expectations and those who think the researcher's and marketers have deceived them, that's pretty broad. I'm willing to put together a thread to explore where our expectations should merge with the published research. I'm talking about drawing a systematic methodical picture on what the last 100-years of B3 research is saying and relate this to what we might expect to happen within our bodies. No other vitamin has this depth of research because it was found to be so fundamentally intertwined with our most basic cellular processes changing its intake has produced profound drug-like properties.

Everyone here knows I report on all NAD boosting work and it isn't all Nicotinamide Riboside centric because I believe many findings from B3 in general, Nicotinamide Riboside and NAD research all blur together. So in looking at the whole I think reasonable general assumptions can be made. What specifically differentiates the NAD precursors is related to their abilities to penetrate the cell membrane and their associated metabolic paths, each with different inhibitory mechanisms. Also along this line if you think your current age and health status has nothing to do with your B3 experience you've missed out on research supporting a lifelong NAD decline that slowly deprives your cells respiration and ability to respond to the environment and ultimately initiate repair. So if you want to approach this topic in a structured fashion we'll start a new thread specifically on this topic of expectations supported by research.

If this post gets enough like's I'll make it happen and post a link back here.

Edited by Bryan_S, 06 November 2015 - 09:09 PM.

• like x 9

#666 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

So if you want to approach this topic in a structured fashion we'll start a new thread specifically on this topic of expectations supported by research.

I'd love to see this all in one place. As it stands now, the various threads tend to be supplement-specific, or even narrower (e.g. NR News vs NR personal experience). This is a broad area and it is easy to go off-topic when the topics are so narrow!

#667 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:12 AM

So if you want to approach this topic in a structured fashion we'll start a new thread specifically on this topic of expectations supported by research.

I'd love to see this all in one place. As it stands now, the various threads tend to be supplement-specific, or even narrower (e.g. NR News vs NR personal experience). This is a broad area and it is easy to go off-topic when the topics are so narrow!

Hello,

I started to use NR and Pt in the end of April. Never used anything my entire life (45 years old). But these showed some good logic in the articles I read and user reactions. My parents had become 75 years old and as birthday present I bought them a bunch of supplements and did for myself as well to be able to match what they say to myself group. And hoping at the same time hoping to reverse/stop some againg things I started to see in me. Changes I noticed:

- more energy and focus. Also manage with less sleep. In the past if I could not enough sleep after some days I would get blisters in my mouth (afta's). I am just back from a week business trip full of jet lag, short nights and well I am good as I have been through several periods of short sleep now.

- My motorics are a tad better. What I  mean with that is the grip in hamds is somewhat stronger, when I squeeze there is more reaction and in general it feels my muscles respond better and give the body a feeling of behaving more smooth. No superman strenghts but noticeable (btw I do regularly sport so perhaps I have more focus on my physics so I can sense difference)

- me eye sight is better, I was very close to buy glasses last year. Massive glare and focus challenge. That has improved but depending on the day my eyes are working better than other. My own theory is that my eyes lenses have stiffened as they do with aging and are still as stiff as always but the supplementation given more power to eye muscles. The eyes are a bit more red than in the past which perhaps confirms they are working harder....probably still need glasses at some point

-Skin, this is a two folded story as after couple weeks I decided to make my own skin cream so I cannot really say whether its oral or topical. On the wrincle side they are still there but less pronounced. But I look a younger. I have taken almost daily pics of my face and looked at them multiple times where that perception comes from. I am now fairly sure it is because my skin is somewhat tighter, my eyes are more open so like lifting of eyelids. Also the skin looks somewhat fuller. I started to have some part the skin to fall in/thin so I am speculating has it reactivated collagen production? THen the skin also looks somewhat more even colored but that got some kind of acceleration after I started to take Honikiol orally. I later found Honikiol is used in asia for skin whitening.

- There is hair regrowth - hairline has grown back somewhat. I have documented that with pictures but I did multiple things at the same time, need to write this sometimes down

- Sexual functioning. Better, started to notice this after several months so certainly not placebo. This is an interesting story which I havent really figured out yet. Close your eyes for those very sensitive. But I am fairly sure that it made my balls shrink a bit which would indicate that there is less hormone production but libido is somewhat better so this explanation wouldnt make sense. Now it has stabilized and things feel healthy. I cannot find any logical explanation about this but I am also faily sure that the balls had become somewhat bigger in my adult years. So I have some speculation but nothing based on factuals worth to write down.

- Coffee and drinking water, this is not a health improvement one I wanted to add it because it was really noticeable. I drank coffee a lot and if I would not get my morning drink I really would get headaches, even sweaty and shaky hands. That is no longer the case. I make it through the day with just a few cups of coffee. At the same time my body is "asking" for more water. When I was younger I could feel really thirsty over the years that has dissapeared and the amount of drinking has gone down and I tried to just drink even if the thirsty feeling is not there. But it has now somewhat returned. I found that significant.

Overall I am also convnced this is not caused by supplementation alone. So next to the NR, Pt and Honikiol I am also having some CR eating habits (not on purpose but I have always skipped lunches, breakfast or both on days). Also I have noticed that after exercise there is more impact. So I am more a believer of the theory that you need to activiate "recovery" genes and then have enough NAD+ etc around so the body can get to work. Wrt to exercise I am thinking there is an optimal level because you want to do enough to activate the body but you dont want to do real damage as then you just spend the "credits" on making it back to baseline. If you have a very unhealthy live style then I believe NR wil not fix that. Young people who live really unhealthy also quickly get overweight and other issues. My thinking is that if you have your body in the right operating range with the right stimulus then supplementing will help. If you live very unhealthy then well maybe supplementing will help but the body is just working to maintain baseline.

I am sure this is all not placebo. While on my last trip to Asia I did a what some of you may call bullshit test on whether my appearance is younger....going to bar.....no I am not going to write it because then all of you will think my entire story is nonsense :-)

Stefan

Edited by stefan_001, 08 November 2015 - 08:26 AM.

• like x 3

#668 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:14 PM

Stefan, what are your dosages of NR, Pt, and Honokiol? And may I ask your age?

#669 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:37 PM

Stefan, what are your dosages of NR, Pt, and Honokiol? And may I ask your age?

I am 45 years old, 46 in April next year.

The first months (part of April, May, June, July) I used NR and Pt:
- morning 1 cap NR 125mg, 1 cap Pt 50mg
- evening before bed time 1 cap NR 125mg, 1 cap Pt 50mg
With these doses I could notice something for the eyes, energy, response to gym. I was already somewhat impressed.

For the last 3 months I use:
- morning 1cap NR 125mg, 1 cap Pt 50mg
- evening before bedtime 2 caps NR so total 250mg, 1 cap Pt 50mg, 2 caps magnolia extract 200mg each so total 400mg (standardized to minimum 90% honokiol)

With this there is more effect at least on appearance, my face looks better recovered in the morning, energy level good and I have a somewhat feeling that the body is getting leaner. No change on the eye sight. Still some gray hairs here and there. But I didn't do a count or something so only if they are gone almost completely I will count that as a benefit, let's see in some months.

I added also magnolia extract to the cream I made. There is a clear difference, it leaves a burning feeling on the skin and on sensitive skin like the eyes it triggered skin renewal, shedding some old skin. I started with the cream as nobody reported any wrinkle improvements. I was wondering whether with oral use the skin cells are able to take up enough to have a real impact and possibly with topical application they would get an extra spike.

Anyways I am intrigued by what I notice. I have not changed into superman or back into 20s but I do feel it will help me hold off aging some time. For people that are somewhat older I can tell you what I put I the cream, it simple but mixing it when it's hot seems to make to make it more effective. I am thinking to make some for my 75 year old mother but don't want the Honikiol to trigger massive cell renewal.....

Stefan

#670 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:55 PM

On more data point which could be relevant with dosing. I am 1m77 and weigh 73 kg.

#671 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:35 AM

If you have a very unhealthy live style then I believe NR wil not fix that. Young people who live really unhealthy also quickly get overweight and other issues.

You bring up an important point, however here is a wild question, have any of you taken a mega-NR dose before or right after drinking? Mind you I'm not recommending this behavior but has anyone else noticed if they were able to shake the Deleterious Effects of Alcohol sooner or not? I have my own opinion which I believe was positive but would like to see if the group experience correlates with mine and if there is any other experience to support this notion?

Edited by Bryan_S, 09 November 2015 - 12:35 AM.

#672 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:05 AM

If you have a very unhealthy live style then I believe NR wil not fix that. Young people who live really unhealthy also quickly get overweight and other issues.

You bring up an important point, however here is a wild question, have any of you taken a mega-NR dose before or right after drinking? Mind you I'm not recommending this behavior but has anyone else noticed if they were able to shake the Deleterious Effects of Alcohol sooner or not? I have my own opinion which I believe was positive but would like to see if the group experience correlates with mine and if there is any other experience to support this notion?

I have not done your experiment. But I have noticed that when using NR after some drinks the deleterious effect is less and I feel better the next day. I don't drink often, one reason being the deleterious effect so I am sure that it's not placebo. But again the NR going into baseline protection...

#673 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:36 PM

I haven't tried this experiment, but I shall.

If I'm planning on drinking more than, um, recommended, then I take supplemental choline and eat saturated fats.

#674 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:40 AM

I never planned this experiment either, it just sorta happened. I carry my NR in a daily pill container so I had some on me at the time when the alcohol started flowing and took the rest of it all at once (500mg) when the drinking began. I was surprised how I "seemed" to remain more mentally alert through the experience and overall how fast I felt my normal mental powers resume. I followed up with more before bed and felt fresh in the morning. 

I'm not talking about a binge remedy but something that seemed to restore my mental faculties sooner after several drinks. Don't try this at home kids and this isn't an encouragement to experiment with alcohol.

I knew this was a slippery slope, dang!

Edited by Bryan_S, 10 November 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#675 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:01 AM

I never planned this experiment either, it just sorta happened. I carry my NR in a daily pill container so I had some on me at the time when the alcohol started flowing and took the rest of it all at once (500mg) when the drinking began. I was surprised how I "seemed" to remain more mentally alert through the experience and overall how fast I felt my normal mental powers resume. I followed up with more before bed and felt fresh in the morning. 

I'm not talking about a binge remedy but something that seemed to restore my mental faculties sooner after several drinks. Don't try this at home kids and this isn't an encouragement to experiment with alcohol.

I knew this was a slippery slope, dang!

Its an interesting observation nevertheless. One to keep in mind, some extra protection doesnt hurt :-)

#676 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:26 AM

Niacin: Circulatory benefits, arthritis relief (at least for some), cholesterol control...and NAD increase

Niacinamide: Prevention of skin (and possibly other) cancers, sleep induction...and NAD increase

Nicotinamide Riboside: NAD increase...and possibly other effects

So if NR had the hyperlipidemia effects of Niacin it would be better? 

Exploring the therapeutic space around NAD+

"Hyperlipidemia.

For a long time, patients with hyperlipidemia have been treated with niacin (Altschul et al., 1955), often in combination with statins to lower cholesterol biosynthesis. Although the G protein–coupled receptor GPR109A was linked to the effects of niacin (Tunaru et al., 2003), an increase in NAD+ could also contribute, especially considering the central role of sirtuin enzymes in lipid metabolism (Schug and Li, 2011; Houtkooper et al., 2012). Arguing in favor of the latter hypothesis is the fact that high doses of niacin (grams/day) are required for lipid lowering, while the EC50 for GPR109A (i.e., concentration to activate 50% of the receptor; ∼250 nmol/L) is rather low (Wise et al., 2003). Interestingly, supplementation with NR decreased the LDL/HDL ratio in mice without activating GPR109A, suggesting that this may be true (Cantó et al., 2012). This would circumvent the GPR109A-mediated adverse effects, such as flushing, observed upon high-level niacin intake (Cantó et al., 2012). Further mechanistic studies with other NAD-centered approaches leading to sirtuin activation are required to establish the potential of the NAD+/sirtuin axis for lipid lowering." http://jcb.rupress.o...9/2/205.full#F2

I haven't found much else on Nicotinamide Riboside and Hyperlipidemia but in truth I only recently looked.

• Informative x 2

#677 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:59 PM

Fascinating, Bryan.

I'd paste something from the attached journal article (Bogan & Brenner--you've probably already seen it), except that for some reason I am unable to paste things on this forum...or create links.

Anyhow, on page 125, the authors ask why, if NA lowers cholesterol through NAD, why Nam doesn't have the same effect...which I've wondered, too. They propose that it's because NA is so much more effective at increasing (which seems rather weak), or that the control of hyperlipidemia may be modulated through Sirtuins, and Nam is inhibitory. Which is interesting, but also, as far as I can tell, purely speculative. 

Attached Files

#678 boylan

• 55 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:47 PM

60 year old male. I'm just finishing my 6th bottle of NR, 250 mg per day. I wasn't expecting this but it seems my sense of smell and hearing has improved.

#679 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:27 PM

if NA lowers cholesterol through NAD, why Nam doesn't have the same effect...which I've wondered, too.

We know that Sirt3 regulates lipid metabolism and we know that Nicotinamide is inhibitory towards Sirt3

Now I can only point to various studies that show the various feedback loops involved. 

Here is a clue to what's going on that I posted back on 18 August 2015. It has to do with the Nicotinamide SIRT3 binding pocket. Its one of those inhibitory feedback mechanisms that signals our nutritional status. So as we buildup more SIRT3 thru NAD Boosting eventually nicotinamide accumulates thru the NAD salvage cycle to modulate mitochondrial activity by binding to SIRT3. 

So if you are looking for why NA and NR work as a treatment for Hyperlipidemia and NAM doesn't this might be why. Still I haven't seen much research directed in this direction and I would like to read more before stating this as the way things are but the research suggests this might be the active mechanism in the background. 

Guys we've hijacked the personal experience thread long enough. For the Tech stuff lets post those responses on http://www.longecity...ed/#entry750980 because we're diluting this thread.

#680 albe

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

My little test: I'm 58. I took NR (125 mg/day) for 2 mount in my median training of swimming master, in march-april 2015. Before my cholesterole was 230, at the end of april was 180, at june was 220. The training always 3 times a week, 1 hour - 1 hour 15.

I doubt on an effect so big: I were in the first mounts of my swimming training (start in jan-15) and the diet was tuning for it.

I want repeat the test in a best condition of monitoring, with the help of my coach and his machines of mesure.

Now I am in a situation more costant ... I will describe you the results.

PS: unfertunately in Italy is impossible buy Niagen (Do you know how I do this?)

My NR come from supersmart dot com.

Edited by albe, 12 November 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#681 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:24 PM

60 year old male. I'm just finishing my 6th bottle of NR, 250 mg per day. I wasn't expecting this but it seems my sense of smell and hearing has improved.

Hello,

Interesting, I have been thinking is my smell better as I noticed at times a sweat smell with myself which I didnt before NR. BTW are you taking NR spread through day or in one go?

Stefan

#682 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:27 PM

My little test: I'm 58. I took NR (125 mg/day) for 2 mount in my median training of swimming master, in march-april 2015. Before my cholesterole was 230, at the end of april was 180, at june was 220. The training always 3 times a week, 1 hour - 1 hour 15.

I doubt on an effect so big: I were in the first mounts of my swimming training (start in jan-15) and the diet was tuning for it.

I want repeat the test in a best condition of monitoring, with the help of my coach and his machines of mesure.

Now I am in a situation more costant ... I will describe you the results.

PS: unfertunately in Italy is impossible buy Niagen (Do you know how I do this?)

My NR come from supersmart dot com.

Looking forward to that. BTW I have also bought once NR from supersmart but they where not willing to confirm the source. Simply stating they make all ingredients themself. After several times asking the final answer was: its a secret. So I switched to US supplier, most will ship to Europe but you probably need to pay some taxes.

Stefan

#683 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:35 PM

I've been assured HPN Niagen Ships almost anywhere in the world and they organized a discount for Longecity members since 2014.

#684 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

Hello,

Interesting, I have been thinking is my smell better as I noticed at times a sweat smell with myself which I didnt before NR. BTW are you taking NR spread through day or in one go?

Stefan

Now that you mention it, yes, something about my sweat has changed. Niagen added something citrus-sweet to newer pills, and I wonder if that's what's sweeter? I sweat a lot.

Just sharing -- Fwiw, I take 500 mg NR in the morning, then another four pills scattered throughout the day, so a daily gram. I've run out of pterostilbene so am trying it with 250 mg Gaia's Resveratrol twice per day.

#685 albe

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:10 PM

I've been assured HPN Niagen Ships almost anywhere in the world and they organized a discount for Longecity members since 2014.

Thx very much Bryan. Now wait the discount, meanwhile I redo a test with the old bottle.

In 2014 I found another USA site that sell NIAGEN NR, but the buy procedure was stopped for Europe except for UK, in this site, Italy is accepted, OK ! I don't find the ship price and taxes, I'll see it when I buy it.

In this product I seek the bulking agent because I have allergies, for ex.: is it gluten and soy free? The content is only NR in the decription, but what is the substance for pill compactness?

#686 boylan

• 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:58 PM

Stefan,

I take it all at once first thing in the morning.

Hello,

Stefan

#687 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

As I've mentioned before, I have used my NR in "acute" dosages rather than spreading it through the day. Part of logic behind this was the safest and best use of Niacin: High ongoing levels of Niacin cause liver damage, while acute, single dosages are beneficial.

That said, I decided to try spreading my current intake of NR (750 mg) through the day, and have been doing so for nearly two weeks.

The results so far have made a convert of me. With the acute dose, I didn't "feel much" after the first couple of days. With a spread dose, I have felt a rise in energy--and a clearing of couple of persistent infections. So while I remain wary of chronically elevated high blood levels of Nicotinic Acid derivatives, I concede that this may be the best way to take NR.

This raises some questions for me, however. At present I am taking NR throughout the day, and Niacinamide at bedtime.

I would like to resume my intake of Niacin as well--especially since it uses different pathways to NAD*. I've never used super-high doses; a max of a gram a day would be fine with me.

But I worry that it will interact in some negative fashion with NR or Niacinamide. I don't seem to be able to find any evidence one way or the other except for reports that NR has some hepatoprotective properties.

What do you folks think? Is it safe to take Niacin simultaneously with NR? Or would it be more beneficial to take it, say, in the morning, and then wait before the first dose of NR?

------------------------------------------

*Though it looks to me as if NaNMNAT-1,2,3 may be the bottleneck. It occurs in all three pathways from NA/Nam/NR to NAD.

#688 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:52 PM

*Though it looks to me as if NaNMNAT-1,2,3 may be the bottleneck. It occurs in all three pathways from NA/Nam/NR to NAD.

I attempted to edit the above line, but I'm told I don't have permission to edit my own posts....

That said, I drew that conclusion from the attached flow diagram. But when I consult other sources, I find that the common enzyme used by NR and Nam to get from NMN to NAD is usually listed as NMNAT, while Niacin uses a corresponding enzyme, NaNMNAT, to do a similar conversion step. Therefore I think Niacin follows a completely separate pathway, and the attached flow diagram is wrong.

Correct me if I'm confused.

Attached Files

#689 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

I took two capsules twice a day for a total of 450mg/day of NR for 4 months.

I did not notice any very obvious changes in subjective feelings of wellness. Objective measurements of fitness using stairmaster at the gym did improve by just under 10% but that could have been due to continued training.

After about 3 1/2 months I started to experience connective tissue pain in my hands and feet. This certainly could be unrelated, however I then stopped taking the NR and the problem went away after about 2 weeks.

#690 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:18 PM

After about 3 1/2 months I started to experience connective tissue pain in my hands and feet. This certainly could be unrelated, however I then stopped taking the NR and the problem went away after about 2 weeks.

Strange. I can't think of a plausible mechanism for NR causing connective tissue problems. That doesn't mean there isn't one, but B3 in general is often included in vitamin stacks for tissue recovery.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Topic Led By