Apigenin Experiences?

apigenin

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Anyone take apigenin?

Do you notice any effects or side-effects?

Do you notice it's anxiolytic effect? Do you get rapid tolerance to that effect? 

Any withdrawal symptoms?

I'm considering it for it's anxiolytic and CD38 inhibition. But, I'm concerned about GABA down-regulation and tolerance.

Thanks.

#2 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:13 PM

what, you are going to buy it pure poweder bulk? from what i gather, its present universally in all herbs, vegetables out there. is it even worth by itself?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:27 AM

It can be detected in a wide variety of fruits, vegetables and herbs, but I can't find any indication of what a typical daily consumption of apigenin would be. It's available from Swanson and personally I supplement 100 mg/day, because:

- it's one of the more powerful and better-studied phytonutrients

- from the research I have done, I am convinced it will be (somewhat) helpful to my health condition

- I don't know how much I am getting in my diet, and I want to make sure I get a reasonable amount every day without eating a bowl of parsley or drinking multiple cups of chamomile tea

- like other flavonoids, bioavailability is not too good to start with

I have not noticed anxiolytic effects, and certainly not withdrawal effects. But then I rarely notice such effects in anything I take.

• like x 1

#4 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:27 AM

I took LEF's cruciferous extract product for a time (which contained 25 mg apigenin per serve). I didn't notice any anxiolytic or cognitive effects. I'm interested in experimenting with a higher dose of apigenin, though - it's on my supplements "to do" list.

I do take fisetin [100 mg every day or second day] and luteolin [around 50 mg every day]. I find each of these polyphenols gives me a mild stimulatory effect (like what you get from a cup of black tea). I don't like the effects I get from resveratrol (I think it raises my blood pressure for one).

• like x 1

#5 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:41 AM

joelcairo, why dont you go as far as 500mg and report if you feel anything. it doesnt seem toxic from the studies i have seen, and since you dont feel anything at 100mg and you admit you dont feel much of anything you take usually, definitely a higher dose will be a good try.

#6 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:56 AM

Chamomile tea is anxiolytic, I've even tried something like 12 tea bags at once in a big mug. Apigenin also acts as a monoamine transporter activator, so basicly temporarily depletes monoamines which is kind of an antipsychotic-like effect. Makes me feel a bit blunted but relaxed in those big amounts.

• Good Point x 1

#7 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

i dont think momoamine transporter activator has blunting effect and causing sedation. i believe it enhances monoamines being able to release more thus act as antidepressant and/or stimulant....

• dislike x 1

#8 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:42 AM

i dont think momoamine transporter activator has blunting effect and causing sedation. i believe it enhances monoamines being able to release more thus act as antidepressant and/or stimulant....

No, psychostimulants etc. inhibit monoamine transporter = reuptake inhibition

• Good Point x 1

#9 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

joelcairo, why dont you go as far as 500mg and report if you feel anything. it doesnt seem toxic from the studies i have seen, and since you dont feel anything at 100mg and you admit you dont feel much of anything you take usually, definitely a higher dose will be a good try.

I'm not taking it in order to feel something. In fact since I don't need an anxiolytic, that would probably be a sign I'm taking too much. I think apigenin would be completely safe at that dose on its own, but I take quite a few other things as well and I'm not eager to experience negative interactions.

#10 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

if you are taking things not to feel them, you should try sugar pills

• dislike x 2
  • Ill informed x 2
  • like x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#11 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

OMG, do you only take supplements at such a high level that you can convince yourself you feel them working? What about simple maintenance of good health? In my case I take apigenin to prevent cancer recurrence. It is exceptionally broad and powerful anticancer nutrient, right up there with curcumin and EGCG and quercetin.

Specifically, there is evidence that apigenin is a PKC inhibitor, suppresses inappropriate activation of STAT3, ERK, AKT and NF-kappaB, inhibits IGF-1 signaling, reduces expression of the pro-tumorigenic proteins VEGF and HIF-1, and also the anti-apoptosis proteins Mcl-1 and survivin.

• like x 3

#12 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:20 AM

^ in the studies i have seen, they used high doses to show anticarcenogenicty (specifically in rats). and the reason i asked for higher dose report on apigenin is because it seems to act as anxiolytic as galaxyshock mentioned. also it has variable mental effects. but if anyone ever cares to try it and care to report, im all ears.

#13 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:11 AM

A typical dosage in these mouse trials is 50 mg apigenin per kg body weight. I found a study on Plosone suggesting that it is safe (in mice) at these levels, but at 100 mg/kg and above there is the risk of hepatotoxicity with longterm use.

Given the difficulties in scaling up a dosage for use in humans, the possible differences in metabolizing apigenin between mice and humans, and the fact that I don't really know what the baseline amount of apigenin is in a typical diet, I think I'll backtrack on saying 500 mg apigenin would be completely safe. Probably yes, especially if you watch your liver enzymes, but there are just too many uncertainties. Also I can't find any trials of apigenin supplementation in humans.

If anyone has hard data on any of these issues, please post it.

#14 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:48 AM

I'm wondering where you get this stuff.  The only source I can find in the UK is swanson (50mg per serving), but according to this page there is a more to be found in dried parsley (135mg per gram), although that page doesn't cite its sources.  There's also an apigenin product that can be used to treat dark circles under eyes (something i've had since puberty), might give that a try...

#15 The Brain

• 599 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

Swansons seems to be the only place that stocks it, I tried it in high doses for a few days but noticed no effects.
  • unsure x 1

#16 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

Swansons seems to be the only place that stocks it, I tried it in high doses for a few days but noticed no effects.

Good to know.  Swanson (and other companies) are known for making products with ineffectual doses.  They even have a product that contains half a gram of turmeric (not curcumin, turmeric).  Useless.  I usually have to go for their top-shelf product range to get a result.

#17 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:34 AM

nyles7 on ebay sells apigenin in supposed 98% purity powder and its not that expensive either. problem is, i tried it and i felt nothing. i went for real high doses too cuz i was anxious to get some effect what eventually happened was no effect before bed and next day drowsiness and the most horrible awful chemical metal taste in your mouth you can imagine that persisted 1-2 days later dear god. i dunno about that 98% purity stated on it, but whatever chemicals were used in synthesis were left out in the end product so much so, you will wish you never tasted that stuff.

#18 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:12 AM

nyles7 on ebay sells apigenin in supposed 98% purity powder and its not that expensive either. problem is, i tried it and i felt nothing. i went for real high doses too cuz i was anxious to get some effect what eventually happened was no effect before bed and next day drowsiness and the most horrible awful chemical metal taste in your mouth you can imagine that persisted 1-2 days later dear god. i dunno about that 98% purity stated on it, but whatever chemicals were used in synthesis were left out in the end product so much so, you will wish you never tasted that stuff.

Yeah, I think that's meant for topical preparations only.  I didn't see that one but contacted another seller about a 98% preparation asking about impurities about a week ago, and didn't get a reply.

#19 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:30 AM

meant for topical application only? wtf you talking about? it seems its apigenin is naturally present in stuff we consume, so i would not even think its topical only. anyway i consumed that crap and the chemical taste lingers FOREVER. you might have different effect tho. find nyles7 on ebay and buy the least amount of apigenin and try it. its not expensive at all.

• Unfriendly x 1

#20 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

Wondering if anyone has any hard numbers as to which has more apigenin weight-for-weight: dried parsley leaves or dried camomile leaves.

#21 caruga

• 514 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

camomile leaves -> flowers.  Thanks for the non-existent edit button.

#22 The Brain

• 599 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:43 PM

If you're in the mobile version, then just tap your post for the edit function

#23 IP3

• 101 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:56 AM

Personaly i drink two cups of chamomile tea every day. For me it is extremely good anxiolytic. But i am afraid that i am addicted to it. Apigenin has affinity for benzodiazepine receptor at 4micromol. I notice without my morning tea i am very edgy, and cannot think properly. I drink it everyday from month.

#24 Zed

• 36 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:26 AM

Chamomile tea is anxiolytic, I've even tried something like 12 tea bags at once in a big mug. Apigenin also acts as a monoamine transporter activator, so basicly temporarily depletes monoamines which is kind of an antipsychotic-like effect. Makes me feel a bit blunted but relaxed in those big amounts.

Very Interesting. I have been looking for something that acts as a monoamine activator - rather than the loads of meds/supps that are monoamine oxidase inhibitors and this is the first reference to such a compound.

Apparantly also Luteolin is another. Know any others ?

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/19815045

#25 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

Dried parsley has 5-13g/100. Dont waste money on supplements.

• Disagree x 1

#26 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:19 PM

Dried parsley has 5-13g/100. Dont waste money on supplements.

Measured content varies from 1.5 to 60 mg/100 grams of dried parsley. Not a good source.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 06 February 2018 - 01:19 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#27 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

UHqaxSfIQ0ih5Fg2d83GxQ.png

USDA, mg per 100

Edited by dazed1, 06 February 2018 - 01:35 PM.

#28 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

Dazed1's source.

And a later paper indicating that parsley is indeed a good source--

We have found that the highest content of API [apigenin] occurred in parsley leaves (137.7 mg/g of dry sample). Content of API in the fresh parsley leaves purchased from the supermarket and dried under laboratory conditions was similar to these observed by other investigators [5, 30].

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4942635/

Edited by Turnbuckle, 06 February 2018 - 02:53 PM.

• Agree x 1

#29 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

Keep in mind the bioavailability from parsley is much lower, about 11mg per 100g, but if you add ground flaxseed and almonds apparently those can somehow massively improve the bioavailability. 

Apigenin Smoothie:

100g parsley

4 stalks celery

50 to 100g almonds

50 to 100g walnuts

3 Tbsp ground flax

1 Banana

optional: 50g blueberries

2 cups water and blend on high speed

Edited by Nate-2004, 06 February 2018 - 03:15 PM.

• Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Oakman

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

I've tried the Swanson Apigenin for months at a time. As with most supplements, I felt nothing, but I never thought I would. I've stopped because of the cost mostly. If there is a way Dried Parsley leaves can be substituted / processed with any useful bio-availability - that would be great. I can get 1 lbs bags of the stuff - bulk dried parsley leaves - for a few dollars each at a local discount store, when it's available.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: apigenin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users