Relocated from http://www.longecity...e-thread/page-1

jjnz
  • default_large.png
  • 42 posts
  • 9 ₮
  • NO

Posted Yesterday, 06:45 PM

MikeDC, on 12 May 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:snapback.png

Basis users be warned. ChromaDex has cut off supply of Niagen to ELYSIUM.
The quality of Nicotinamide Riboside inside Basis in the future will not be the same as before.
The big order they placed last year should be running out soon.

did they give a reason for doing that? 

#122 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

Relocated from http://www.longecity...e-thread/page-1

MikeDC
  • default_large.png
  • 180 posts
  • -58 ₮

Posted Yesterday, 07:02 PM

jjnz, on 12 May 2017 - 6:45 PM, said:snapback.png

MikeDC, on 12 May 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:snapback.png

Basis users be warned. ChromaDex has cut off supply of Niagen to ELYSIUM.
The quality of Nicotinamide Riboside inside Basis in the future will not be the same as before.
The big order they placed last year should be running out soon.

did they give a reason for doing that?
Because ELYSIUM didn't pay bills. They are in a bitter lawsuit 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#123 Oakman

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

Considering the likely price hike by Chromadex, bought some Niagen @Alive By Nature for $2.44/g  or $18.33  for 1 mo supply @250mg/day.

• Informative x 1

#124 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

is LEF nad+ a good choice? 

#125 SimbaLion

• 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:01 PM

Considering the likely price hike by Chromadex, bought some Niagen @Alive By Nature for $2.44/g  or $18.33  for 1 mo supply @250mg/day.

Why do you think there is a price hike coming up?  Is there some news I missed somewhere?  Thanks!

#126 Oakman

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:01 PM

Why do you think there is a price hike coming up?  Is there some news I missed somewhere?  Thanks!

Apparently, yes. Listen to the investor call here.

#127 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

Just a thought...

LEF which more often than not use to use quite high doses of everything keeps NR at still what looks a low dose (100mg). You have much more experience that me with NR. How you consider this? Is this simply marketing or are they waiting more results to change the dose? They seems reactive to research though, e.g. they recently increased quercetin in some of their formulation due to the results on senolytics.

I realize that many here and not buying from LEF due to the high price per gram as shown in the previous posts.

• Good Point x 1

#128 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

Is this simply marketing or are they waiting more results to change the dose? 

The common 100 mg and 125 mg NR supplements sold allows the consumer to allow the consumer to create the dose he or she feels is right rather than insisting a minimum 250 mg or 300mg dose .  

#129 Oakman

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

Is this simply marketing or are they waiting more results to change the dose? 

The common 100 mg and 125 mg NR supplements sold allows the consumer to allow the consumer to create the dose he or she feels is right rather than insisting a minimum 250 mg or 300mg dose .

These low mg supplements are a rip-off in my mind, coming from makers who want to market they contain NR but really there's so little as to make them virtually non-functional, given current available required amts to produce noticeable changes in serum NAD+ uplifts. You do realize for $10 you can buy a milligram scale on Amazon and slice and dice whatever amt you want from 50 mg to 500 mg from vendors that offer far more economical 250 mg or 333 mg capsules to put in a smaller (or larger) capsule or simply in some liquid like OJ or juice?

Worse, LEF (100 mg) and Doctor's Best (75 mg) are typical of vendors that that basically incapsulate mostly excipients and fillers (verses NR) at astronomically high prices, things I don't want in my body! If you use a scale, you'd realize that 100 mg of Niagen is barely nothing at all. Heck, I give my aged cat 40 mg of NR. For an animal that size, it does perk them up, but for a human at ~60-70 kg,  ummm?

• Agree x 1

#130 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:04 PM

These low mg supplements are a rip-off in my mind, coming from makers who want to market they contain NR but really there's so little as to make them virtually non-functional, given current available required amts to produce noticeable changes in serum NAD+ uplifts. You do realize for $10 you can buy a milligram scale on Amazon and slice and dice whatever amt you want from 50 mg to 500 mg from vendors that offer far more economical 250 mg or 333 mg capsules to put in a smaller (or larger) capsule or simply in some liquid like OJ or juice?

Worse, LEF (100 mg) and Doctor's Best (75 mg) are typical of vendors that that basically incapsulate mostly excipients and fillers (verses NR) at astronomically high prices, things I don't want in my body! If you use a scale, you'd realize that 100 mg of Niagen is barely nothing at all. Heck, I give my aged cat 40 mg of NR. For an animal that size, it does perk them up, but for a human at ~60-70 kg,  ummm?

I don't see how providing a unit of 100 mg is a ripoff assuming there is 100 mg of NR in there and that it costs 25% less than 125 mg pills. 

• Agree x 2

#131 Oakman

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:59 AM

I don't see how providing a unit of 100 mg is a ripoff assuming there is 100 mg of NR in there and that it costs 25% less than 125 mg pills. 

Regardless of a 25% discount, selling NR for $5-$6 or more per gram, as others are selling for $3 or less per gram, is (in my mind) a rip off. But then a lot of people pay for designer labels on cheap shirts too, or pay money for municipal water in plastic bottles. Nothing wrong with it, a lot of people waste a lot of money on a lot of things, I just prefer not to do that on NR, if it is readily available at more reasonable pricing.

• Agree x 2

#132 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:23 AM

Regardless of a 25% discount, selling NR for $5-$6 or more per gram, as others are selling for $3 or less per gram, is (in my mind) a rip off. But then a lot of people pay for designer labels on cheap shirts too, or pay money for municipal water in plastic bottles. Nothing wrong with it, a lot of people waste a lot of money on a lot of things, I just prefer not to do that on NR, if it is readily available at more reasonable pricing.

This is very simple. Convert everything into 100 mg units and calculate the cost across brands. How hard is this? I agree, we want the cheapest 100 mg of NR or 1000 mg - it doesn't matter, right?

• Agree x 1

#133 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:15 AM

Then what do you guys use / have used? What seems to be the right / reasonable brand for the cost?

#134 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

Then what do you guys use / have used? What seems to be the right / reasonable brand for the cost?

I take 250 mg a day of HPN, the vendor that seems popular here in part because they used to get a group deal. That is now available on Amazon, and I assume on their website which puts it at $26.30 a bottle of 60 capsules each 125 mg, but contains 180 capsules -- $0.89 a day at 250 mg. That is the cheapest I've found but someone mentioned  'Alive!' is around $25 a bottle

#135 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

Back a few posts "Considering the likely price hike by Chromadex, bought some Niagen @Alive By Nature for $2.44/g  or $18.33  for 1 mo supply @250mg/day."

This is a quantity purchase, so not everyone would be able to pay that much at once.The poster has always been right on top of the best prices for NR. Your price for HPN seems to  be over $3 per gram. I am partial to HPN as a quality company, but would buy from other vendors if that large of a price difference exists. Personally, I buy in volume when the lower price is great enough. Unfortunately, I have about a 4 to 6 months supply right now, so might miss the current low prices.

I am just experimenting with regularly cycling off of NR 3 days a week. Agree with the poster or not they have an interesting hypothesis, and personal experiment under way. Given my respect for whom I will call at this stage a trustworthy citizen scientist, I expect that they will let us know as their position evolves over time. My experiment is 1/2 a gram Nicotinamide + 2 grams of D-Ribose 2 days a week, with neither this or NR 1 day a week.. No conclusion yet. I take 375 mg of NR.

Edited by Heisok, 23 May 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#136 beefnewton

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

I've been pleased with Alive by Nature's version.  I just recently bought a six-pack after running a trial of a single bottle.  Hope the price holds.  I let myself be ripped off by Live Cell for the past few years.

#137 Rorororo

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

I am currently looking into NR as well and the AliveByNature version seems to be the most cost effective. Shipping to Asia is another $15 on top, so I'm looking at $65 for 60x250mg capsules for trying. 

Do you know of vendors with cheaper shipping to Asia? 

#138 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

I am currently looking into NR as well and the AliveByNature version seems to be the most cost effective. Shipping to Asia is another $15 on top, so I'm looking at $65 for 60x250mg capsules for trying.

Do you know of vendors with cheaper shipping to Asia?

$15 is a good price for shipping to Asia.

#139 floweryriddle

• 134 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:06 AM

AliveByNature Niagen looks indeed like a good deal. Is there any difference to the HPN version?

I trust HPN more and they had a official press release from ChromaDex, but I can't find many infos about the AliveByNature product. 

• Informative x 1

#140 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:55 AM

HPN have always treated people @ LongeCity well, & I've not seen any complaints about their product. I believe they even took excipients out of their NR at our request. Solid company, solid products, fast shipping.

#141 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

I've been pleased with Alive by Nature's version.  I just recently bought a six-pack after running a trial of a single bottle.  Hope the price holds.  I let myself be ripped off by Live Cell for the past few years.

so you have used other brands of NR and have found Alive by Nature to be comparable in quality?

#142 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:11 PM

Niagen is Niagen. Chromadex would not sit back and accept a retailer selling a product labeled as Chromadex Niagen, but not sourced from Chromadex.    They would go after them to protect their investment.

My wife and I take a combined 625 mg per day, so I stocked up at Alives 12 bottle price. HPN (Microcrystaline Cellulose, vegetable capsule), LCR (Rice Bran, vegetable capsule), Alive (Rice Powder, gelatin capsule)

Edited by Heisok, 31 May 2017 - 11:11 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#143 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

HPN have always treated people @ LongeCity well, & I've not seen any complaints about their product. I believe they even took excipients out of their NR at our request. Solid company, solid products, fast shipping.

I've always liked HPN also.  But when I see the prices on alivebynature are 1/2 what HPN was charging last year, I realize they were making a killing off of us.

Unfortunately, it looks like the prices will be going back up to those rates as soon as all the newer retailers run out of inventory this summer or fall.

#144 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

Unfortunately, it looks like the prices will be going back up to those rates as soon as all the newer retailers run out of inventory this summer or fall.

Why can't these vendors buy from a Chinese source? 

#145 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:06 PM

If it was that easy, then Elysium would not have sued Chromadex for patent abuse. By-the-way, the second tranche closed, which really was inevitable for the price was $2.60 per share for all three tranches. No way out of it based on current stock price for either party. A theory is that the new investor will have some standing in China which might effect copy cat Nicotinamide Riboside production. If somebody can produce it economically using a different synthesis method, then that is another story.

Why can't these vendors buy from a Chinese source? 

#146 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

If it was that easy, then Elysium would not have sued Chromadex for patent abuse. By-the-way, the second tranche closed, which really was inevitable for the price was $2.60 per share for all three tranches. No way out of it based on current stock price for either party. A theory is that the new investor will have some standing in China which might effect copy cat Nicotinamide Riboside production. If somebody can produce it economically using a different synthesis method, then that is another story.

If other vendors were selling Niagen bought from an American company that had a good safety record, Elysium certainly wouldn't want to sell a product from a Chinese company that likely doesn't have that reputation in the minds of most customers. But now that there is no longer a choice, I don't see why Elysium, HPN, etc wouldn't by from a Chinese source and leave off the Niagen name. Many have been taking resveratrol from Chinese wholesalers for years.

I can't imagine a rich investor stopping NR from flowing from China to foreign vendors and American law doesn't block the import of vitamins. It just charges a 6.4% import duty.

#147 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:58 PM

Please do not misunderstand my position. I am all for equivalent products. No preference if it is shown to be the same chemical.  As far as I know, except a hold due to the suits with Elysium, they have not cut off any retailers. My bet is that HPN will certainly stay in the distribution channel, but I might be wrong. Elysium sells at a high enough price to pay any increases they might pay for the raw materials. They have been unhappy with some of the claims direct marketers have made about NR. Generally, price controls are difficult, and can they really make up enough on their own to afford cutting off too many retailers. Does not make business sense.

#148 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:43 AM

test

• Good Point x 1

#149 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:39 PM

Hi has anyone ever used even seen this version of NR?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/...d1e8c%7Ciid%3A1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#150 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:14 AM

Hi has anyone ever used even seen this version of NR?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/...d1e8c%7Ciid%3A1

They claim 99% purity, which is a bit higher than Chromadex gets with their process, which seems sketch.

Also, they say "nicotinamide riboside", instead of nicotinamide riboside chloride.  Maybe just sloppy labelling?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users