Phenibut - Should I?

phenibut

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Steve-22

• 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

My holistic doc wants me on Phenibut. To be exact it's this supplement: http://www.pureformu...-research.html#.

Now I understand the risks and have read the horror stories on this forum per user suggestions. I am dealing with extreme load of stress. I have a project to finish for a business company, I want to lose the weight I gained and on top of that I'm trying to quit smoking. The best thing for me would be to just ditch the last two and focus on work, but I can't. After knowing that I'm at risk for heart disease with the excessive belly fat (and I'm ectomorph btw)...

Doc wants me on 2-3 capsules of Phenibut before bed. During the daytime 1-2 caps every 4-6 hours. I'm ready to give in. Probably will react bad to it, but have no other choice. Stress is killing me. Constant heart palpitations, never ending anxiety, depression and insomnia.

My only question is regarding Benzos. I'll have to make a long flight trip in the near future and always used some benzo with great success before a flight; never abused it. Will the benzo lose it's effectiveness after a Phenibut trial?

Thanks in advance! 

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

How long are you planning to use it? Short-term usage shouldn't get you in trouble.

Benzo won't lose its effectiveness, since it targets GABA-A receptor. You can also use it to withdraw painlessly if symptoms occur.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 06 October 2014 - 03:23 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Steve-22

• Topic Starter
  • 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

How long are you planning to use it? Short-term usage shouldn't get you in trouble.

Benzo won't lose its effectiveness, since it targets GABA-A receptor. You can also use it to withdraw painlessly if symptoms occur.

For about 2 months. My girlfriend deals with the exact same anxiety as I do, but she doesn't have depression and has high dopamine levels. Mine are low and I'm ADHD. She takes phenibut everyday with success.

#4 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

For about 2 months. My girlfriend deals with the exact same anxiety as I do, but she doesn't have depression and has high dopamine levels. Mine are low and I'm ADHD. She takes phenibut everyday with success.

2 months usage most likely will result in withdrawal symptoms when you stop. Try to stick to minimum effective dosage, taper off and use benzos or something to get through the acute phase, and it should be alright. Another option would be taking it something like 5 days on 2 days off, if that's possible.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 06 October 2014 - 03:35 PM.

• like x 1

#5 Steve-22

• Topic Starter
  • 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

One more question: if I'd take low dose (let's say 300 mg) every once in a while could it upregulate dopamine receptors/increase density? I know it mainly targets GABA-b receptors, but it effects other neurotransmitters as well.

#6 The Brain

• 599 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

You'll be best buying bulk phenibut rather than the product in your link if you're planning on taking that much everyday.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#7 ToJump

• 19 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:57 AM

Taking Phenibut on a daily basis seems like a very dangerous idea.
  • like x 4
  • dislike x 1

#8 The Brain

• 599 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

It's only the stopping that causes problems
  • like x 1

#9 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

I strongly suggest to kick this quack's ass! DON'T mess with phenibut!
I'd rather have a prefrontal lobotomy than a bottle of phenibut in front of me...
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#10 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

I have used phenibut to sleep .. 1-2 times a week at the most.. It is in the Astronauts and Cosmonauts medical kits.. I think you should look at Bulk GABA... it might help.. also I have taken Choline (in bulk.. not pills) and then added various Nootropics.. Noopept I found was mild and helped me with some stress.. it does not require extra Choline.

I'd suggest you research your own Nootropics here and try some.. with Choline.. I had wonderful results myself...  Just Methyl B-12, B6, Iodine and Magnesium Bicarbonate Water.. that you make yourself may benefit you.. research them.  There is a book review on Amazon you might want to read.. "Could it Be B-12?"  One Psychiatrist wrote he treated his patients with METHYL B-12 .. and got results with many.. it was not a drug deficiency..  it often a mineral deficiency. Magnesium and Iodine are minerals..

Search MAGNESIUM + DEPRESSION (or stress).

Edited by Astroid, 08 October 2014 - 05:31 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#11 Steve-22

• Topic Starter
  • 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

I'm really not sure if Phenibut would be the best fit for me. Sure I have anxiety, constant worrying and insomnia. I also have tremors and Phenibut may, or may not exaggerate my problems. We might share similar symptoms with completely different causes.

L-Theanine & Ashwagandha are on the way. I used Rhodiola for only 4 days, but it seems placebo just like the rest of the stuff I tried. Cyrcadian rythm is completely screwed up by going to bed in the morning and waking up in the afternoons. I tried everything from dimming the lights, staying away from the computer, diet modification etc. nothing works. Once I reset my sleep cycle to normal (meaning waking at 7 AM and already asleep by 11 PM) by quitting smoking. It was a whole week of insomnia and sleeping 3-4 hours a day madness. At that time I didn't have to work on business projects, take care of GF nor doing 15 hour flight trips. I know well that quitting would help, since nicotine is a stimulant and messes with glucose controll. Hypoglycemia is one of my biggest issues. My subconcsious mind is overloaded with worrying and fear; I wish there was a safer alternative to Phenibut.

#12 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

I'm really not sure if Phenibut would be the best fit for me. Sure I have anxiety, constant worrying and insomnia. I also have tremors and Phenibut may, or may not exaggerate my problems. We might share similar symptoms with completely different causes.

If these are your problems DONT TOUCH THIS CRAP!!! I can promise you it will be absolutely unbearable once you stop taking it. This stuff has withdrawal depression going hand in hand with outright panic attacks even after seemingly innocent usage that are so terrible and literally gruesome I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to experience it. If there is one single "supplement" that should be banned for good it's THIS.

Edited by Dolph, 08 October 2014 - 06:07 PM.

• dislike x 3
  • like x 1

#13 The Brain

• 599 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:09 PM

Because your experience speaks for all does it ?
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#14 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:33 PM

Because your experience speaks for all does it ?

If you search pubmed and the web you will realize it speaks for a big enough proportion of users. Phenibut is clearly NOT a supplement but an obscure drug that's only legal as such in the former USSR and has not ever been proven safe or(!) effective by any standard.
YES, idiots pushing other people into trouble over the internet make me angry!

Edited by Dolph, 08 October 2014 - 09:50 PM.

• like x 1

#15 The Brain

• 599 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

No one is pushing anything, you're clearly an easily excited and dramatic person. If anyone was pushing an opinion it was you. It's a pity Phenibut isn't for you, seems like a calm head and peaceful mind is something you're still searching for, good luck.

#16 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:20 PM

No one is pushing anything,[...]

Read this thread again carefully and you'll realize that at least one person actually DOES push it (by my definition of "pushing it"), and it's not necessarily you. You at least warned the OP that stopping usage is a problem in many cases...

Edited by Dolph, 08 October 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#17 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:48 PM

Just like any sleeping Rx.. I would not suggest becoming dependent on this.. first of all the body would become use to it.. and it would require higher doses.  I tell people to take it maybe 3 days at first slowing increasing the dosage to see what works.. then only take it 1-2 days a week .

Since doing this my sleep has been deeper and longer even on days I don't take it. So I think I am training my brain to sleep longer.  The body learns habits and I hope this is breaking my irregular sleep habit. At least I can roll over and go bad to a good sleep on nights I don't use this, before that was not possible. I'd only sleep lightly and for a short 1-2 hours.

It is worth trying for a few weeks. 1/8th rounded teaspoon is all I need for 8 hours sleep. 1/4 level teaspoon puts me to sleep for 12 hours.   

• like x 1

#18 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:20 AM

L-Theanine & Ashwagandha are on the way. I used Rhodiola for only 4 days, but it seems placebo just like the rest of the stuff I tried. Cyrcadian rythm is completely screwed up by going to bed in the morning and waking up in the afternoons. I tried everything from dimming the lights, staying away from the computer, diet modification etc. nothing works. Once I reset my sleep cycle to normal (meaning waking at 7 AM and already asleep by 11 PM) by quitting smoking. It was a whole week of insomnia and sleeping 3-4 hours a day madness. At that time I didn't have to work on business projects, take care of GF nor doing 15 hour flight trips. I know well that quitting would help, since nicotine is a stimulant and messes with glucose controll. Hypoglycemia is one of my biggest issues. My subconcsious mind is overloaded with worrying and fear; I wish there was a safer alternative to Phenibut.

If L-theanine & Ashwagandha work, then definitely stick to them. Those type of anxiolytics are harmless, but I kinda got the idea from "extreme stress" you described that this is something herbals won't cut and where it's either Phenibut or benzos. And I'd say Phenibut is lesser evil, it's not cognition impairing and you can use benzos to withdraw yourself. Another option to consider would perhaps be Pregabalin. But try the supplements first and see if they do the trick. Ashwagandha can be very effective. 

#19 The Brain

• 599 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

No one is pushing anything,[...]

Read this thread again carefully and you'll realize that at least one person actually DOES push it (by my definition of "pushing it"), and it's not necessarily you. You at least warned the OP that stopping usage is a problem in many cases...

Are you suggesting a Dr is pushing Phenibut on the OP ?

#20 Nootropic Milk Hotel

• 91 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:04 PM

I for one am very much a fan of phenibut. I take 3 g of it (recreationally, I suppose) every weekend; it's a nice off-day ritual for me. I'm very anxious in general, and I love how cheap and simple phenibut is.

It is supposedly extremely addictive, but I have never had a problem controlling my use. This is partially because I feel it for at least 48 hours, so by the time it wears off I'm ready to get back to being productive and focused. Your mileage may vary, of course, and there is reason to be cautious.

If you intend to use it mainly to treat symptoms like anxiety and insomnia, I would recommend trying some more sustainable alternatives first.

If you do take the phentastic route, I strongly advise against using it more than twice a week.

• dislike x 1

#21 kemiclinguist

• 23 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

rechem.ca and liftmode.com may be stocking R-phenibut in the near future, and it will be bulk so much cheaper than your source.  R-phenibut is much better than the racemic version which most vendors stock and it will work better for depression and stress.

Edited by kemiclinguist, 11 October 2014 - 08:24 AM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#22 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:45 PM

2 months usage most likely will result in withdrawal symptoms when you stop. Try to stick to minimum effective dosage, taper off and use benzos or something to get through the acute phase, and it should be alright. Another option would be taking it something like 5 days on 2 days off, if that's possible.

When I tried phenibut, the label said 2 days off and 5 days on.  I forgot what brand I got but it was 500mg tabs.

The thing I have noticed with this is that there is a while before people want to try it.  I started with 250mg and felt it a bit, and then I used 500mg and definitely felt it.  Everything I have read online suggests that the people using the bulk poweder take quite a bit more.  Liek people are taklkng about taking 2g or more.  500mg was enough to make me not want to use additional.  This makes me wonder if there is a quality difference between the powder and the caps.  btw, the advice of 5 days on and 2 days off is not that great.  If you are going to use it, I would say it should be only sporadically, like once a month or so.  People say that tolerance builds very quickly, and stopping using it can be really awful.

My reason for using it was for social reasons, and it definitely helped with that.  I was very much a person who didn't really talk to people that easily and when I tried it I wanted to talk to people.  Like at the place I would go, I would see someone and just go talk to them.  It takes a few hours to feel it from your dosage.  It will also make alcohol more effective.  It will wear off the next day (assuming you take tiot in the afternoon) and you may have an afterglow.  But it's not something I would recommend unless you are only going to use it a few times separated by a long periods between and even then I probably wouldn't.  The suggesteion to use it daily is terrible and I would not ever think anyone should do that.

• like x 2

#23 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:22 AM

Melatonin, 5-htp & SAM-e...

#24 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

Melatonin, 5-htp & SAM-e??? the L-Theanine is also in my regime...All help with sleep, depression and anxiety... As does my cpap machine!

Edited by Vastmandana, 14 October 2014 - 07:31 AM.

#25 Steve-22

• Topic Starter
  • 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:20 AM

Can't take this any longer... I'm at the verge of having a nervous breakdown. I mean I gained 40 lbs of fat in 4 months from emotional stress and insomnia as a byproduct of it. I would rather be addicted to Phenibut than benzos, at least it would help with depression and not just ease my mind.
To take or not take Phenibut?

#26 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:30 AM

I recommend taking it but only 2 days a week.. 

You might want to have your thyroid checked too.  I had the same issues when mine stopped.. 

#27 Steve-22

• Topic Starter
  • 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:57 AM

Problem is I'm about to take something that affected a person around me in a negative way, which is relative. The reason why it is relative is because it's my girlfriend; eversince she started taking Phenibut she became flirty and disrespectful towards me, but I've never seen her so happy ever. I tried to talk about these issues with her, but it was like talking to a brick wall so I decided to break up with her despite I didn't wanted to end it this way. Now I need something not to lose my sanity.  

Edited by Steve-22, 24 October 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#28 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:34 AM

Phenibut is sneaky drug though, it's easy to form a habit and consume it almost like a food as one becomes so care-free. Could you get prescribed pregabalin? I think it's another option that might be more sustainable.

#29 AlmostEasy

• 112 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:33 PM

Sounds like you need to reevaluate your life dude. Maybe consider a new job or something? Jesus Christ man you're kind of scaring me.

I don't think supplements are going to fix the mess you seem to be in.

Try exercise too though in the meantime. Physically exhaust yourself a couple times a week. Really helps flush out all the stress chemicals in my experience.
  • like x 3

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Bateau

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

I would really suggest trying some of the non addictive anxiolytics first before trying something so addicting.

Dietary supplements:

Kava Kava

Lavender oil (Silexan sold as "Calm Aid")

Ashwagandha

Or one of the cool atypical russian anxiolytics like tofisopam or afobazole.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phenibut

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users