vegan vegetarian diet muscle gain ripped tank plant based diet plant tofu

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bluecheer

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:33 AM

Hi,

I'm not a vegan but a vegetarian and I know for me it was quite hard to find the sources for all the good foods to eat when I first started. 
I was thinking this would be a good place to compile a list of good sources.

Please add as much as you can.

Thomas Tadlock has 
Frank Medrano 

Ryan Nelson 
Who are both pretty fit looking vegans.

And does a pretty detailed interview with them touching in with all the foods they eat:

Frank

Ryan

for a quick easy meal when I am lazy I will put some water to boil with quinoa, flax seeds, and broccoli for a super quick easy thing to snack on with high protein.
Hemp seeds are always good aswell.

I will try to update this frequently.

Edited by Bluecheer, 02 September 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#2 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:37 AM

Are these guys drug-free?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

Ha, I quickly read your title here as "Vegan tips for OTTERS" and I was like oh wow cool, but otters eat mostly fish, I think, and supplement with frogs, crabs...

I'm a longterm vegan -- not for health reasons but for eco reasons. I don't think vegan is the healthiest way to eat for hominids, probably some unpolluted small fish is good, sardines... I think eating more insects is a worthy pursuit, and I do ok. I supplement with D and B12, creatine, a bunch of stuff... Sometimes I cheat on the vegan thing, and put heavy cream in my coffee, which I'm sure is a nightmare both ecologically and from a saturated fatty health pov...
  • like x 2
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:23 AM

Steroids are Vegan, aren't they?

• Enjoying the show x 3
  • Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#5 Bluecheer

• Topic Starter
  • 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:25 AM

Not sure, I do believe they both only supplement with protein (at least that is what they state, Or maybe just Ryan nelson I cant remember ). Although that is purely based on the fact that they say there not and they appear to be sincere people.. For all I know they could be the biggest steroid users ever.  

I assume by drugs you mean steroids and hormones and things of that nature? 
Does it really matter if they were though?I mean I guess it would a bit, but I don't know if I would care. I'm so pro steroids its ridiculous. That being said I would not take them for my personal health reasons.

Edited by Bluecheer, 03 September 2015 - 08:32 AM.

#6 Bluecheer

• Topic Starter
  • 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:30 AM

Ha, I quickly read your title here as "Vegan tips for OTTERS" and I was like oh wow cool, but otters eat mostly fish, I think, and supplement with frogs, crabs...

I'm a longterm vegan -- not for health reasons but for eco reasons. I don't think vegan is the healthiest way to eat for hominids, probably some unpolluted small fish is good, sardines... I think eating more insects is a worthy pursuit, and I do ok. I supplement with D and B12, creatine, a bunch of stuff... Sometimes I cheat on the vegan thing, and put heavy cream in my coffee, which I'm sure is a nightmare both ecologically and from a saturated fatty health pov...

Haha! Otters are pretty cool though.

Would Eco reasons consist of Ethical reasons as well? Or simply for the environment?

So for clarity do you eat small fish and insects but still identify as a vegan?

I am personally a vegetarian, purely for ethical reasons, if its any consultation. 

I never put heavy cream in my coffee, is it good? I do have a standard Bullet Proof coffee intermittently though.

I would be curious to know if you think your diets good? And if so maybe pass on some knowledge :)

#7 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:44 AM

Not sure, I do believe they both only supplement with protein (at least that is what they state, Or maybe just Ryan nelson I cant remember ). Although that is purely based on the fact that they say there not and they appear to be sincere people.. For all I know they could be the biggest steroid users ever.  

Does it really matter if they were though?I mean I guess it would a bit, but I don't know if I would care. I'm so pro steroids its ridiculous. That being said I would not take them for my personal health reasons.

Why are you so "pro-steroids"? I understand that they have their uses and they build physique but what I've understood is that you pretty much have to keep on taking them for life if you're addicted to the results. Apparently ex-bodybuilders often look terrible if they stop steroids while the ones who keep using still look great. I'm not sure this is the future I'd choose for myself..

• Good Point x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#8 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

Yeah I wouldn't screw around with steroids too much. For reasons platypus said.

And otters are very cool, like all animals. So I don't like to kill and eat them because really I think I have no right. But I do kill and eat loads of plants and insects sometimes, so I suppose I'm a hypocrite. My main reason for striving to be a vegan is I just want to be a better person, and I suppose that sounds very quaint in these harsh, selfish times.

One reward for practicing a vegan lifestyle is you get to be labeled as "extreme" by nearly everyone. So I've learned to shut up about my eating habits -- until asked. And if you think about it, veganism is not extreme. What's extreme is the standard American diet where people are consuming meat at nearly every meal, polluted, horrible meat, often contaminated, derived through cruelty, a hodgepodge of many different badly treated animals all in one juicy burger, all the plain terrible information most people just don't want to accept. I figure that people who carelessly eat meat all day long should be required -- at least once -- to actually look into the face of the individual cow they're about to eat -- eye to eye -- and then shoot it in the head. Then, they should be required by law (haha) to cut up the carcass, prepare it, dispose of the parts of the animal they won't eat... Slaughter an animal and you'll learn it's an extreme act. It's taking a life, it's messy, dirty, possibly disease-spreading, it's difficult, it requires special tools, time, attention, preparation, proper disposal... So much. Meat eating is extreme, not plant eating. Growing some collards and blueberries in the dirt, then eating them, seems natural. As does foraging the public roadways for road-killed animals. Eating roadkill seems to me much more "paleo" (haha) than buying bulletproof coffee off the internet from some business man.

Is vegan the healthiest diet? No one knows. I'd say probably vegan is not the healthiest diet, some small amounts are probably good for your personal narrow life. But diet probably doesn't matter much for longevity. Eat a plant-based diet, and even a perfect calorie restricted plant-based, whole food, organic, lots of raw -- even that perfect diet with optimal nutrition may "only" get practitioners a few added years of life. Diet doesn't seem to matter much -- with the caveat that we steer clear of that worst of all possible diets -- the standard American one... Which no otter would eat. If otters had to eat Whoppers, then otters would starve.
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • like x 1

#9 Bluecheer

• Topic Starter
  • 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:37 PM

Why are you so "pro-steroids"? I understand that they have their uses and they build physique but what I've understood is that you pretty much have to keep on taking them for life if you're addicted to the results. Apparently ex-bodybuilders often look terrible if they stop steroids while the ones who keep using still look great. I'm not sure this is the future I'd choose for myself..

I guess the reason I'm so pro steriods is because they work. Plain and simple. In the same way that if I want to feel healthier id be pro exercising and eating healthy food, or for example if I want to learn I would be pro reading and taking the correct steps to learn.

I dont neceesarily understand what you mean by the phrase : "I understand that they have their uses and they build physique but what I've understood is that you pretty much have to keep on taking them for life if you're addicted to the results" if you are addicted to something you will probably continue to do it, doesnt mean you 'have' to though.

That is a mis conception though that you need to keep on taking them or else you will turn out looking horrible. But it is more probable that if you take them get up a great physique and then stop taking them and completely stop working out, of  course your going to look bad! But the same would happen if you built up a great physique and stopped working out all together(maybe not at the same pace though).

Simply put its like this, If you take some form of nootropics for say 6 months and in that time you learn a new language, your not going to completely forget the language because you stop taking it. It is the same with steriods if you go from (hypothetically) 100kg bench and then you get on steriods and the period you are on steriods you go to 200kg bench, its safe to say once you go off them your not going to have the same amount of strength as you once did. BUT, it is not as if as soon as you go off of them your going to go instantly back to 100kg, thats not how it works.

I would personally never take them becasue the pro con ratio is not in my favour... or more so the risk ratio, as I am quite a young person but still have very high cholestrol and my own health problems. So I will personally never take them. But to blindly hate them is understandable to me only if you are a participant in some sort of event (a sport for example) in which you have signed a contract saying you will not take them. But why would the same amount of hate go to people who take them becasue they simply want to?

I just feel that its like a blind hate which seems almost brought on by propoganda and a sense of perhaps being cheated? But I look at it this way. I'm not going to be angry at my freind for taking protien and working out more if he gets bigger than me, if he goes the extra step to get that why should I be angry? He just did what he needs to do to get an advantage. I wouldnt say Your taking extra protien then me and working out more! Thats unfair or cheating or whatever, it doesnt mean anything just that he choose to do something thats going to achieve greater returns then me.

Theres no doubt they come with there con's and I dont think it should be that every body is on them, but the amount of disgust people have for people using them seems a little bit misplaced to me.

Haha any way this has gotten to be a off topic ramble! 

Edited by Bluecheer, 03 September 2015 - 10:44 PM.

#10 Bluecheer

• Topic Starter
  • 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:50 PM

Yeah I wouldn't screw around with steroids too much. For reasons platypus said.

And otters are very cool, like all animals. So I don't like to kill and eat them because really I think I have no right. But I do kill and eat loads of plants and insects sometimes, so I suppose I'm a hypocrite. My main reason for striving to be a vegan is I just want to be a better person, and I suppose that sounds very quaint in these harsh, selfish times.

One reward for practicing a vegan lifestyle is you get to be labeled as "extreme" by nearly everyone. So I've learned to shut up about my eating habits -- until asked. And if you think about it, veganism is not extreme. What's extreme is the standard American diet where people are consuming meat at nearly every meal, polluted, horrible meat, often contaminated, derived through cruelty, a hodgepodge of many different badly treated animals all in one juicy burger, all the plain terrible information most people just don't want to accept. I figure that people who carelessly eat meat all day long should be required -- at least once -- to actually look into the face of the individual cow they're about to eat -- eye to eye -- and then shoot it in the head. Then, they should be required by law (haha) to cut up the carcass, prepare it, dispose of the parts of the animal they won't eat... Slaughter an animal and you'll learn it's an extreme act. It's taking a life, it's messy, dirty, possibly disease-spreading, it's difficult, it requires special tools, time, attention, preparation, proper disposal... So much. Meat eating is extreme, not plant eating. Growing some collards and blueberries in the dirt, then eating them, seems natural. As does foraging the public roadways for road-killed animals. Eating roadkill seems to me much more "paleo" (haha) than buying bulletproof coffee off the internet from some business man.

Is vegan the healthiest diet? No one knows. I'd say probably vegan is not the healthiest diet, some small amounts are probably good for your personal narrow life. But diet probably doesn't matter much for longevity. Eat a plant-based diet, and even a perfect calorie restricted plant-based, whole food, organic, lots of raw -- even that perfect diet with optimal nutrition may "only" get practitioners a few added years of life. Diet doesn't seem to matter much -- with the caveat that we steer clear of that worst of all possible diets -- the standard American one... Which no otter would eat. If otters had to eat Whoppers, then otters would h

I wouldn't for health reasons, but for I would for the first thing he said " I understand that they have their uses and they build physique" or at-least to be more athletic. Either way wildly off topic.

Yeah I remember before I was vegetarian I use to give vego's shit! Man I was a ass, I wonder why people who don't eat meat are such an easy target?

I agree 100%. And in fact I find that a little strange how close that is to a something i've constantly thought. Basically I have always thought the same as that, that if you eat meat it should be a requirement for you to kill and animal your self. And that after this point be able to eat meat the standard way people typically get it now ( stores, maccas etc ) But I think that would Thin The Herd quite a bit ... pun intended ;).

I know this sounds weird and it probably is. but I generally understand people who go and hunt meat and that more than the typical people who eat meat. Why I don't agree that they should kill animals ( and I may think there a little crazy ) the people who I know who all eat meat (or most) generally would never hurt an animal and wouldn't go hunting, yet they will eat pre killed meat. I don't like animals being killed, but if you don't even have the balls to take the life of an animal you probably shouldn't be eating it at first place. 

To quote Seneca who was a Roman philosopher and vegetarian (which i can only imagine would be  a lot harder back in those days:

"But for the sake of some little mouthful of meat, we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy."~ Seneca.

Updated first post 

#11 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:21 AM

I'm not so sure that the bodybuilding lifestyle is really all that healthy.  It manipulates the insulin system and other metabolic pathways to obtain that perfect physique at the right time.  Many of the people who did this in the 70's and 80's when I was young are all looking like a pretty sorry bunch now (or dead), but of course they weren't doing an all natural and non-steroid/diuretics body building.  The high protein load is hell on the kidneys with a high percentage of deaths occurring from kidney failure or similar problems. Cancers take away another large chunk.  The good examples are few.  The bad examples are quite easy to find.  It's a "look good for a while then fade away quickly" kind of lifestyle IMHO.

#12 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:55 PM

I think the largest problem with vegan diets is two things primarily. The first is a lack of calorie intake. Eating nothing but salad and raw vegetables leaves your body emaciated, which leaves you craving "unhealthy" foods and damages long-term compliance. The way around this is to base your diet on starches, which contain a much higher calorie-density than vegetables and salads. To boost the calorie-intake even further you include juices and overt-fats like coconut-oil. The second problem is the high intake of linoleic-acid. Nuts, peanut-butters and avocadoes are usually staple-foods on the vegan-diet, in favor of starches. These foods were originally very rare in nature and the accumulation of linoleic-acid in the human body leads to obesity and other metabolic-disorders (like a lowered metabolism and altered steroid function).

Edited by misterE, 07 September 2015 - 04:56 PM.

• Disagree x 1

#13 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:57 PM

^^ I'm not entirely sure the lack of calorie intake is a problem. Most indications point to reduced calories as a good thing for healthy longevity. Nor am I clear that eating salads, raw veggies is a problem, and neither is "emaciation" a good reason to bulk up on high glycemic starches. While I love sweet potatoes, purple potatoes, yams -- I seriously don't like how they elevate my blood sugar. So I eat them in fall, with the seasons, and load sweet potatoes down with olive oil.

I don't do juices because they're loaded with sugar. Coconut oil I tend to avoid or use very sparingly due to saturated fat concerns. I realize this is a trigger to start the "saturated fat is good for you" argument, and so it goes.

I agree with you about eating too many nuts, though. I was eating waaaaay too many walnuts, almonds, pistachios, and some others. Since cutting back on nuts I feel much lighter and stronger on my toes.

I eat a lot of fruit, but mostly berries. Sometimes citrus and tree fruits, but they're unnatural sugar bombs, too, so I keep them in moderation.

Legumes I eat like crazy -- many different kinds of beans. They're delicious, healthy, clean, and high in protein.

#14 Bluecheer

• Topic Starter
  • 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

No matter what its stupid to debate something like this because there's not really an accurate way to tell with this thing, and if there is please show sources. Another aspect to take in to consideration longevity doesn't necessarily mean its the best choice for becoming more intelligent. 

There's unhealthy vegans and unhealthy body builders, there's also healthy for vegans and healthy body builders. I didn't realise how busy I was but I haven't had time to update this thread with more detailed vegan food, but I didn't want this to become a thread to discuss if you think its healthy or not. that's frugal and could literally last forever with 0 results. Its like debating the chicken or the egg. But absolutely regardless, it is 100% more ethical to not partake in the flesh of a deceased animal ( please don't argue about that, I can't be fooked)

But I have to mention "Joe Rollino" who was a strict vegetarian his entire life, one of the (if not the most) strongest persons in his prime. He lived till 104 where he was unfortunately killed on his daily jog to the gym.

He still exercised every (I believe every day) he was said to still appear extremely sharp.

I don't have the time at the moment, But if anybody has some good recommendations for dishes/diets/food tips I would love to hear, and I'm sure others would as well!

#15 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:14 PM

Being vegan is more ethical but it's also an "extreme" diet for an omnivore apex predator species. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vegan, vegetarian, diet, muscle, gain, ripped, tank, plant based diet, plant, tofu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users