• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 16 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside [Curated]

nicotinamide riboside nicotinamide nad boosting charles brenner david sinclair leonard guarente niagen niacinamide nicotinamide mononucleotide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2255 replies to this topic

#361 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:36 PM

Hi Bryan, it just so happens I have a few Basis sofgels's here. I just cut one of them open and it seems to be more of a green/yellow oil than water based And I'll tell you this, I just found out why its in a tab, it tastes terrible.. :|?

Water is just one component I would expect the ingredients below to resemble a Emulsified Oil. "An oil in water emulsion is defined as a colloidal suspension of a liquid within another liquid. A colloidal suspension is a concentration of particles or droplets homogeneously dispersed through the carrier liquid (water)."

Nicotinamide Riboside, Pterostilbene, Olive Oil, Gelatin, Glycerin, Purified Water, Beeswax Yellow, Sunflower Lecithin, Silicon Dioxide, Titanium Dioxide, F.D.&C Blue 1. F.D.&C Red 4. 

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#362 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:40 PM

Assessment of Brain NAD+ in College Football Players Taking Nicotinamide Riboside vs Controls (TRMC-004)

https://clinicaltria...how/NCT02721537

Purpose:

Can nicotinamide riboside (750 mg/day for 12 weeks) affect the levels of NAD+ in the brain as measured by 31P MRS?

Detailed Description:

Healthy collegiate football players will take Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) or placebo twice daily for 84 days. Pre- and post-intervention evaluations include physical assessment, blood tests for safety and toxicity monitoring, blood tests for biomarkers, neurologic testing, quality of life questionnaires, and the 31P MRI exam. Healthy controls, age-matched athletes who participate in non-contact sports, will also be enrolled and will undergo the same pre-intervention evaluation, at which time their participation will be complete.

A nice list of human studies are coming together.

We were a little ahead of the official announcement which is officially today. See press release Link

Thorne Research Announces Clinical Study to Assess Nicotinamide Riboside on Brain NAD+ in College Football Players

- Mayo Clinic, University of Minnesota and ChromaDex to Collaborate on Study -

"The randomized, placebo controlled, double-blind study will enroll healthy male collegiate football linemen, not having a history of more than 3 concussions.  Participants will take either 750 mg per day of Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) or placebo for 84 days. Pre- and post-intervention evaluations include physical assessment, blood tests for safety and toxicity monitoring, blood tests for biomarkers, neurologic testing, quality of life questionnaires, and real time measurement of brain NAD, using 31P MRS.

The primary outcome of the study is to measure the change in brain NAD+ levels over 3 months.  The study is expected to begin in May 2016 with final data collected by March 2017.

The study will utilize advanced 7 Tesla in vivo 31P Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS)  for noninvasive measurement of brain NAD+ concentrations, NAD+/NADH ratio, and ATP, using a method pioneered by Xiao-Hong Zhu, Ph.D., Associate Professor the University of Minnesota Center for Magnetic Resonance Research.

The principal investigators of the study are Dr. Zhu and Brent A Bauer, MD, Director of the Well Living Lab and Director of the Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

In vivo NAD assay reveals the intracellular NAD contents and redox state in healthy human brain and their age dependences

https://experts.umn....8f26d4427).html

Contribution to journal › Article

"NAD is an essential metabolite that exists in NAD+ or NADH form in all living cells. Despite its critical roles in regulating mitochondrial energy production through the NAD+/NADH redox state and modulating cellular signaling processes through the activity of the NAD+-dependent enzymes, the method for quantifying intracellular NAD contents and redox state is limited to a few in vitro or ex vivo assays, which are not suitable for studying a living brain or organ. Here, we present a magnetic resonance (MR) -based in vivo NAD assay that uses the high-field MR scanner and is capable of noninvasively assessing NAD+ and NADH contents and the NAD+/NADH redox state in intact human brain. The results of this study provide the first insight, to our knowledge, into the cellular NAD concentrations and redox state in the brains of healthy volunteers. Furthermore, an age-dependent increase of intracellular NADH and age-dependent reductions in NAD+, total NAD contents, and NAD+/NADH redox potential of the healthy human brain were revealed in this study. The overall findings not only provide direct evidence of declined mitochondrial functions and altered NAD homeostasis that accompany the normal aging process but also, elucidate the merits and potentials of this new NAD assay for noninvasively studying the intracellular NAD metabolism and redox state in normal and diseased human brain or other organs in situ."

Original language English (US) Pages (from-to) 2876-2881 Number of pages 6 Journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America Volume 112 Issue number 9 DOIs State Published - Mar 3 2015

#363 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:42 PM

That is interesting when Chromadex and P&G announced a cooperation / deal they referred to developing a stable version of NR

I think I remember reading "Stability analyses showed that when Niagen was dissolved in water, NR was stable up to 6 h at room temperature and 7 days at 2–8 C." See page 4 I believe it has to do with the wet state being that it is stabilized as a salt and that's a consideration needed for P&G skin care products, beverages or wet medical preparations. Guess if it doesn't break down in Milk there has to be something that can stabilize the molecule in the wet state.

This situation made me wander why Basis from Elysium Health lost their wet ingredients and went dry, guess we now know why. We can only assume the product lost its potency after 6 hours when packaged in water. This also explains why they stopped production for a short time, it was to reformulate the encapsulation to move to the dry state.

BASIS.jpg

So lesson learned, for those of us who might mix our (NR) into nutritional shakes or beverages we should consider the fact that "NR was stable up to 6 h at room temperature and 7 days at 2–8 C." when mixed with water.

I see a dislike for this post already, why? Is the linked data wrong - Is my assessment of the linked data wrong - Is the advice of mixing shakes or drinks for use within 6 hours flawed - or were you a Basis user through their wet period? I can't fix that if the last one was the case. They seem to have corrected that because I checked the current ingredient list and they appear to have fixed the problem. So that should be a thumbs up or something, right? An uncomfortable realization maybe. I don't think we want to hold back this kind of information. None of us on this forum were aware this was a problem and now we know more because we've asked the right questions about the data from 2 separate studies and the P&G announcement. One of us can ask someone at ChromaDex if this is the case but the studies were clear on this point.

Hey Brian I wouldnt worry too much about the dislike. The internet is about the big numbers so statistically there must be somebody will not like it or disgree :-). For the record I think it usefull to know because there times that you leave mixes overnight.

• Agree x 1

#364 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

Hey Brian I wouldnt worry too much about the dislike. The internet is about the big numbers so statistically there must be somebody will not like it or disgree :-). For the record I think it usefull to know because there times that you leave mixes overnight.

Exactly. Keep the NR/NAD posts coming when interesting. I admit I was the one who put "references needed" to a post above... a little joke.

• Off-Topic x 1

#365 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:32 PM

Exactly. Keep the NR/NAD posts coming when interesting. I admit I was the one who put "references needed" to a post above... a little joke.

I expect it was someone who is or was a Basis user. I'd have been miffed at that realization also because there was only the announcement of the dry reformulation due to vegetarian or blue dye concerns and the longterm stabilization issue with water wasn't hinted until the P&G announcement and request for a stabilized (NR).

It makes no difference to me anyway because I've been using a dry vegetarian version all along. I take the nicotinamide riboside, Pterostilbene separately and add an additional SIRT3 activator called honokiol. So for me I don't feel slighted.

Bluemoon we're good I could tell it was all in humor. 

#366 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:31 AM

I tried Basis last year for two months and I wondered why they changed from the gel capsule. Either way it is to expensive to have shipped over here to the UK so I went back to HPN....HPN do a good deal and the shipping is inexpensive to the UK ($16)

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#367 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

Form of Vitamin B3 Leads to Improved Outcomes in Genetic Heart Disease

http://weill.cornell...rt-disease.html

"A compound derived from a vitamin found naturally in milk and some fermented foods improves cardiac function in mice and extends their lifespan when used as a treatment for a type of genetic heart disease, a study conducted in collaboration with a Weill Cornell Medicine researcher shows. This discovery extends the potential health benefits of nicotinamide riboside, which scientists previously found boosts cells' ability to convert nutrients into energy, lessening the severity of neurodegenerative disease and metabolic disorders."

Full Study Link

• like x 2

#368 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:04 PM

earlier in this thread i remember seeing NR having same toxic properties as niacin in high doses yet people kindly moved beyond this and concentrated on the positive study aspects.

• Needs references x 4
  • Ill informed x 2

#369 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:50 PM

earlier in this thread i remember seeing NR having same toxic properties as niacin in high doses yet people kindly moved beyond this and concentrated on the positive study aspects.

When it comes to mega dosing with NR that may be a valid comment:

http://www.timelessl...side-published/

It should be also noted that the research mentions the safety profile to be similar to Niacin (also called niacinamide or nicotinamide). Niacin is typically rated as LIKELY SAFE with the note that at dosing above 3 grams / day serious side effect can occur: liver problems, gout, ulcers of the digestive tract, loss of vision, high blood sugar, irregular heartbeat, and other serious problems. On a molar mass basis 3 grams or niacin / day equals roughly to a dosing of 7 grams / day of Nicotinamide Riboside.

Edited by stefan_001, 15 April 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#370 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/26404765

Our data warrant the future evaluation of NAD(+) boosting strategies to manage the development or progression of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)

#371 albedo

• 2,070 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:19 PM

Just in case you have missed this (sorry if it a repeat, I do not recollect having seen it here):

Nicotinamide Riboside & Mitochondira

http://www.bostoncom...e-mitochondira/

#372 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:22 PM

I am trying to follow the interesting work of the Prof. Auwerx's lab at EPFL (LISP, Laboratory of Integrative Systems Physiology) and thought useful to log it here as a resource for the research on NAD+ precursors and nicotinamide riboside:

http://www.limna.ch/...ating_teams/134

One interesting topics of research when reading the following sentence from their work could be related to the nutrigenetics of OXPHOS and the impact of nicotinamide riboside:

"...We recently demonstrated that the mitochondrial unfolded protein response (UPRmt) contributes to the control of mitochondrial function and health- and lifespan in the mouse. Interference with mitochondrial translation, either through genetic (mutations of the mitochondrial ribosomal proteins) or pharmacological strategies (e.g. doxycycline), reduces the production of mtDNA encoded ETC components, resulting into a mito-nuclear imbalance between mtDNA and nDNA encoded OXPHOS proteins, which subsequently activates UPRmt. UPRmt will then induce a reparative response that restores mitochondrial function, which in the worm is also linked with the extension of lifespan. Interestingly, compounds that activate mitochondrial biogenesis, such as rapamycin and resveratrol, as well as NAD+ precursors and PARP inhibitors, also induced UPRmt with beneficial effects on mitochondrial function and organismal health. Targeting the UPRmt may hence improve mitochondrial dysfunction and favorably impact on healthspan..."(bold mine)

I knew I had seen doxycycline mentioned somewhere interesting and confusing before:

Antibiotics that target mitochondria effectively eradicate cancer stem cells, across multiple tumor types: treating cancer like an infectious disease.

Here, we propose a new strategy for the treatment of early cancerous lesions and advanced metastatic disease, via the selective targeting of cancer stem cells (CSCs), a.k.a., tumor-initiating cells (TICs). We searched for a global phenotypic characteristic that was highly conserved among cancer stem cells, across multiple tumor types, to provide a mutation-independent approach to cancer therapy. This would allow us to target cancer stem cells, effectively treating cancer as a single disease of "stemness", independently of the tumor tissue type. Using this approach, we identified a conserved phenotypic weak point - a strict dependence on mitochondrial biogenesis for the clonal expansion and survival of cancer stem cells. Interestingly, several classes of FDA-approved antibiotics inhibit mitochondrial biogenesis as a known "side-effect", which could be harnessed instead as a "therapeutic effect". Based on this analysis, we now show that 4-to-5 different classes of FDA-approved drugs can be used to eradicate cancer stem cells, in 12 different cancer cell lines, across 8 different tumor types (breast, DCIS, ovarian, prostate, lung, pancreatic, melanoma, and glioblastoma (brain)). These five classes of mitochondrially-targeted antibiotics include: the erythromycins, the tetracyclines, the glycylcyclines, an anti-parasitic drug, and chloramphenicol. Functional data are presented for one antibiotic in each drug class: azithromycin, doxycycline, tigecycline, pyrvinium pamoate, as well as chloramphenicol, as proof-of-concept. Importantly, many of these drugs are non-toxic for normal cells, likely reducing the side effects of anti-cancer therapy. Thus, we now propose to treat cancer like an infectious disease, by repurposing FDA-approved antibiotics for anti-cancer therapy, across multiple tumor types. These drug classes should also be considered for prevention studies, specifically focused on the prevention of tumor recurrence and distant metastasis. Finally, recent clinical trials with doxycycline and azithromycin (intended to target cancer-associated infections, but not cancer cells) have already shown positive therapeutic effects in cancer patients, although their ability to eradicate cancer stem cells was not yet appreciated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25625193

Now cancer as a rule is known to shut down mitochondria and rely on glycolysis as a means of energy production  as the mitochondria would otherwise send out an apoptosis signal for the defective cell in which they reside.

The above study seems to contradict this, but the research that Albedo linked seems to extend on what was probably unknown or overlooked at the time of the 'Antibiotics that target mitochondria...' study:

That doxycycline etc "...activates UPRmt. UPRmt will then induce a reparative response that restores mitochondrial function...".

This makes the Warburg Effect and the return of mitochondrial function for the eradication of cancer theory unambiguous!

Thx Albedo!   :)

These contradicting theories have been bugging me and others for a long time! 

This speaks volumes for starting a mitochondrial protector like C60oo early, before there are defective mitochondria for it to protect.

and/or:

For the cycling C60oo and for the upregulation of PARKIN and/or UPRmt a day or 2 before taking it.

Edited by Logic, 15 April 2016 - 02:25 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#373 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:30 AM

Nicotinamide not Niacin. The toxicology study just published reaffirmed this notion that (NR)'s profile was very similar to (NAM) "Nicotinamide." but please don't take my word on it, here's the recent study.

Safety assessment of nicotinamide riboside, a form of vitamin B3 

Human and Experimental Toxicology 1–12 a The Author(s) 2016 Reprints and permission: sagepub.co.uk/journalsPermissions.nav DOI: 10.1177/0960327115626254 het.sagepub.com 

Abstract

Nicotinamide riboside (NR) is a naturally occurring form of vitamin B3 present in trace amounts in some foods. Like niacin, it has been shown to be a precursor in the biosynthesis of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADþ). The safety of NiagenTM, a synthetic form of NR, was determined using a bacterial reverse mutagenesis assay (Ames), an in vitro chromosome aberration assay, an in vivo micronucleus assay, and acute, 14-day and 90-day rat toxicology studies. NR was not genotoxic. There was no mortality at an oral dose of 5000 mg/kg. Based on the results of a 14-day study, a 90-day study was performed comparing NR at 300, 1000, and 3000 mg/kg/day to an equimolar dose of nicotinamide at 1260 mg/kg/day as a positive control. Results from the study show that NR had a similar toxicity profile to nicotinamide at the highest dose tested. Target organs of toxicity were liver, kidney, ovaries, and testes. The lowest observed adverse effect level for NR was 1000 mg/kg/day, and the no observed adverse effect level was 300 mg/kg/day. 

• like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#374 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:41 PM

a01c408cc9cba061b96a72a4b86c1983.jpg

NEW YORK — Martin A. Weinstock, MD, PhD, professor of dermatology and community health at Brown University, discussed effective chemoprevention methods for basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma — including sunscreen, retinoids, actinic keratosis treatments and nicotinamide — at HemOnc Today Melanoma and Cutaneous Malignancies.

Weinstock reviewed the outcomes of the CONTRAC trial for nicotinamide to treat basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, in which patients demonstrated a 23% reduction in risk for disease. However, he cautioned that aggressive subtypes may be stimulated by nicotinamide.

Martin A. Weinstock, MD, PhD A 23% reduction is great, but it is not as much as we need with millions of people getting basal and squamous cell carcinoma in the U.S. each year,” Weinstock told HemOnc Today. “There were a couple of concerning notes in that randomized trial … So, further evaluation is needed.

Video

http://bcove.me/vx9h2j4f

Looks like Doctor Weinstock isn't completely sold as he cautions the public on the (NAM) study. He also wants better results than 23% and further study. While no one can argue additional study, Doctor Weinstock fails to suggest a treatment yielding better results than 23%. So in the interim what is the most effective preventive treatment?

I've tried to find the data suggested by Dr. Weinstock for nicotinamide treatment risk in Micronodular, microcystic" and infiltrative skin cancer types. So far no luck and a word association search has yielded no results. I've emailed him for study links.

Update 4-18-2016: Dr. Weinstock responded and told me the study he was speaking about is one they just submitted for publication. He told me to ask him in a couple of months and he'd give us the citation for reference. I asked another followup question "if there was any reason to discontinue nicotinamide treatment for the prevention of skin cancers?" We will see if that is what he is saying but I can't imagine he can suggest a better course of preventative action.

The Role of Nicotinamide in DNA Repair and Prevention of Non-melanoma Skin Cancer

http://www.dermnetnz...cotinamide.html

http://www.nejm.org/...s=currentIssue

https://www.anzctr.o...=12612000625875

Edited by Bryan_S, 19 April 2016 - 03:49 AM.
Update 4-18-2016: Dr. Weinstock responded

#375 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

Looking at the full text of the NEJM article, it seems to show that the least dangerous forms of skin cancer showed the greatest benefit, whereas the most dangerous forms (which comprised a much smaller total number) actually showed an increase. I'd guess that the results looking solely at the most dangerous types were not close to statistically significant, but they still raise questions.

Edited by joelcairo, 19 April 2016 - 08:15 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#376 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:18 PM

Looking at the full text of the NEJM article, it seems to show that the least dangerous forms of skin cancer showed the greatest benefit, whereas the most dangerous forms (which comprised a much smaller total number) actually showed an increase. I'd guess that the results looking solely at the most dangerous types were not close to statistically significant, but they still raise questions.

I heard back again from Martin A. Weinstock, MD, PhD. He restated what he said at the end of his video.

No I agree with you that these other more aggressive types weren't statistically significant in a group of only 386 participants. So I'm wandering were he got his data?

So I searched for any additional Trials of Nicotinamide for Skin-Cancer Chemoprevention. I thought surly Martin A. Weinstock, MD, PhD would have to assemble a larger data set to get the statistical data to include these less frequent but more aggressive cancers. What I found were 372 studies found for: nicotinamide and there was some overlap with nicotinamide riboside but I didn't see a followup study by his lab for skin cancers. So I searched for his own studies and found a few but not one to base a new paper on NAM.

So this is what we are left with. He couldn't write a review based on an small In vivo data set. Or he could be doing some full paper based on an In vitro test with a number of cell cultures.

We already know initially NAD boosting helps damaged cells repair themselves, it also helps those damaged cells to recycle damaged organells, If the damage is too bad there is a couple of mechanisms that should initiate cell death. However we know there are cancer types that circumvent the natural cell death process and use NAD+ to help them grow stronger. So do we starve the body of NAD+ to prevent these cells from using that energy coenzyme? If we do what happens to those cells that might otherwise have repaired themselves if it were available?

So I for one hope he's got some definitive proof strong enough to suggest I want these lesser cancers to form and progress without giving them NAD+ to halt the progress. Other wise I can't see discontinuing it. This could just a scare tactic to push another drug. 2 months and we'll know.

Edited by Bryan_S, 19 April 2016 - 09:59 PM.

#377 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:24 PM

I heard back again from Martin A. Weinstock, MD, PhD. He restated what he said at the end of his video.

No I agree with you that these other more aggressive types weren't statistically significant in a group of only 386 participants. So I'm wandering were he got his data?

So I searched for any additional Trials of Nicotinamide for Skin-Cancer Chemoprevention. I thought surly Martin A. Weinstock, MD, PhD would have to assemble a larger data set to get the statistical data to include these less frequent but more aggressive cancers. What I found were 372 studies found for: nicotinamide and there was some overlap with nicotinamide riboside but I didn't see a followup study by his lab for skin cancers. So I searched for his own studies and found a few but not one to base a new paper on NAM.

So this is what we are left with. He couldn't write a review based on an small In vivo data set. Or he could be doing some full paper based on an In vitro test with a number of cell cultures.

We already know initially NAD boosting helps damaged cells repair themselves, it also helps those damaged cells to recycle damaged organells, If the damage is too bad there is a couple of mechanisms that should initiate cell death. However we know there are cancer types that circumvent the natural cell death process and use NAD+ to help them grow stronger. So do we starve the body of NAD+ to prevent these cells from using that energy coenzyme? If we do what happens to those cells that might otherwise have repaired themselves if it were available?

So I for one hope he's got some definitive proof strong enough to suggest I want these lesser cancers to form and progress without giving them NAD+ to halt the progress. Other wise I can't see discontinuing it. This could just a scare tactic to push another drug. 2 months and we'll know.

Hi Brian,

I think this may be related to the fact that SIRT1 is a NAD+-dependent protein deacetylase that can act as a tumor promoter or suppressor in different cancers. So combine that with this study:

We have found that SIRT1 is overexpressed in clinical human melanoma tissues and human melanoma cell lines (Sk-Mel-2, WM35, G361, A375, and Hs294T) compared to normal skin and normal melanocytes, respectively. In addition, treatment of melanoma cell lines A375, Hs294T, and G361 with Tenovin-1, a small molecule SIRT1 inhibitor, resulted in a significant decrease in cell growth and cell viability.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24751483

and you have questions lingering over NAD+ boosting strategies when having cancer. Whether it helps prevent is another story in my opinion. It also then means that pterostilbene is a compound to stay off when having cancer. And not to forget calorie restriction. ... So I guess there are multiple pathways involved and it is not that straightforward.

Stefan

Edited by stefan_001, 19 April 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#378 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:16 PM

Stefan, you're right. 

So my read of this is keep-up the cancer prevention fight with NAD boosting and SIRT stimulators, until a cancer is detected. (Hopefully never) Then depending on the cancer and what drives it follow the recommendations of your oncologist or in this researchers case dermatologist. I still feel this guy is talking about a small subset of skin cancers but where is his data coming from? You might get some suggestive data from something like the Australian study but it would be hard to pin a definitive connection to less frequent more aggressive skin cancers to nicotinamide from such a small sample set. So here is a monkey wrench just to play the Devils advocate. What if statistically any group of skin cancer victims pulled from a randomized population already had one of these more aggressive types. I'm sure there is population data suggesting this. You can't declare nicotinamide caused it, only that it helped an already pre-established type. That still leaves you with the argument that nicotinamide could have prevented this rare cancer in its early stages if started early enough. So as I read further this guy is a Dermato-Epidemiologist and he studies dermatology at population levels so we will see what he brings to the table in 2 months. So for now we'll keep up the good fight!

#379 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:24 PM

Sirtuins and NAD+ linked to depression

http://www.timelessl...-to-depression/

• Informative x 2

#380 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:20 PM

New safety assessment of nicotinamide riboside published

April 15, 2016

The TimelessLife blog seems to be mirroring some of our posts. Here is an excerpt of the most relevant portion to us as (NR) users.

hseq-team.jpg?sfvrsn=2

"These tests were done in rats and therefore the doses need to be first translated to human equivalent doses to form more perspective on the safety. The FDA has specified guidelines for this conversion to Human Equivalent Dose (HED). They also stipulated an extra minimum safety factor of 10 to be used to indicate safe human doses. So starting from the 300mg/kg/day dose in rats in which no adverse side effects were observed we calculate a HED of 48mg/kg/day. Without safety factor that translates into 48 x 60 = 2880mg / day for a person weighing 60kg. Applying the 10 fold FDA safety factor that results in 288mg/day as indication for safe dosing for a 60kg person. This appears to be in range of the recommended dosing for supplements on the market.

It should be also noted that the research mentions the safety profile to be similar to nicotinamide (also called niacinamide). Nicotinamide is typically rated as LIKELY SAFE with the note that at dosing above 3 grams / day serious side effect can occur: liver problems, gout, ulcers of the digestive tract, loss of vision, high blood sugar, irregular heartbeat, and other serious problems. On a molar mass basis 3 grams or nicotinamide / day equals roughly to a dosing of 7 grams / day of Nicotinamide Riboside. That is 28 x more than the recommended daily dosing for supplements on the market."

So from just an economic standpoint its unlikely any of us could maintain intake levels high enough to produce side effects. I've held based on 70-years of nicotinamide data pulled on earlier posts, (NR) was likely safe up to 3-grams per day. This Toxicology study seems to have validated that notion. Applying an additional 10X safety factor brings this dose down to roughly 250mg as we see on the bottle. Now this is just opinion but its just a little funny this study data fit so nicely into the (NAM) safety figure, like this study data had already been run some time ago or was made to fit the expected outcome. Now if we consider the molar mass of each substance in a direct comparison (NR) carries an additional sugar, so broken down that would suggest it would take 7 grams of (NR) to equal 3 grams of nicotinamide, so in fact I see an additional 2X safety factor built into these figures.  ;)

Safety assessment of nicotinamide riboside, a form of vitamin B

DB Conze1, J Crespo-Barreto1 and CL Kruger

Hum Exp Toxicol 0960327115626254first published on January 20, 2016 as doi:10.1177/0960327115626254

Abstract 

Human and Experimental Toxicology 1–12 a The Author(s) 2016 Reprints and permission: sagepub.co.uk/journalsPermissions.nav DOI: 10.1177/0960327115626254 het.sagepub.com 

Nicotinamide riboside (NR) is a naturally occurring form of vitamin B3 present in trace amounts in some foods. Like niacin, it has been shown to be a precursor in the biosynthesis of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+). The safety of Niagen TM, a synthetic form of NR, was determined using a bacterial reverse mutagenesis assay (Ames), an in vitro chromosome aberration assay, an in vivo micronucleus assay, and acute, 14-day and 90-day rat toxicology studies. NR was not genotoxic. There was no mortality at an oral dose of 5000 mg/kg. Based on the results of a 14-day study, a 90-day study was performed comparing NR at 300, 1000, and 3000 mg/kg/day to an equimolar dose of nicotinamide at 1260 mg/kg/day as a positive control. Results from the study show that NR had a similar toxicity profile to nicotinamide at the highest dose tested. Target organs of toxicity were liver, kidney, ovaries, and testes. The lowest observed adverse effect level for NR was 1000 mg/kg/day, and the no observed adverse effect level was 300 mg/kg/day. 

http://het.sagepub.c...4.full.pdf html

#381 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:15 PM

FYI:

http://blogs.scienti..._Facebook-Share

#382 albedo

• 2,070 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:20 PM

I am trying to follow the interesting work of the Prof. Auwerx's lab at EPFL (LISP, Laboratory of Integrative Systems Physiology) and thought useful to log it here as a resource for the research on NAD+ precursors and nicotinamide riboside:

http://www.limna.ch/...ating_teams/134

Very interesting talk at the next Keystone Symposia in May (topic: Epigenetic and Metabolic Regulation of Aging and Aging-Related Diseases). Hongbo Zhang from Auwerx's team won a travel grant and will present his work at the upcoming meeting (see Workshop 2: Therapeutic Approaches and Aging Biomarkers on May 5):

Improving Mitochondrial Function by NAD+ Repletion Rejuvenates Adult Stem Cells and Enhances Lifespan

The meeting will feature also Cynthia Kenyon, David Sinclair between many top notch. Would love to be there .......

#383 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:39 AM

Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerases (PARPs) are NAD+ reliant enzymes which were defined as

biotecmolecular April 19, 2016 | Updated: April 19, 2016

http://biotecmolecul...ere-defined-as/

#384 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:58 AM

Mayo Study Looks To Link Vitamins And Concussion Recovery

Researchers will scan football players’ brains to determine if a supplemental vitamin can boost enzymes in the brain.

by Don Jacobson

April 20, 2016

A Mayo Clinic doctor and leader in alternative medicine research has teamed with a University of Minnesota professor to explore whether a vitamin supplement can boost the levels of an enzyme the brain uses to recover from concussions.

Dr. Brent Bauer, director of Mayo’s Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program, as well as its recently opened Well Living Lab in Rochester, says he and U of M magnetic resonance imaging expert Xiao Hong Zhu will be leading a pre-clinical study on college football players. continued . . . http://tcbmag.com/Ne...nd-Concussion-R

#385 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:14 PM

Dietary proanthocyanidins boost hepatic NAD+ metabolism and SIRT1 expression and activity in a dose-dependent manner in healthy rats

http://www.nature.co...es/srep24977#f3

rReceived 21 October 2015

Accepted: 08 April 2016
Published online: 22 April 2016

Abstract

"Proanthocyanidins (PACs) have been reported to modulate multiple targets by simultaneously controlling many pivotal metabolic pathways in the liver. However, the precise mechanism of PAC action on the regulation of the genes that control hepatic metabolism remains to be clarified. Accordingly, we used a metabolomic approach combining both nuclear magnetic resonance and mass spectrometry analysis to evaluate the changes induced by different doses of grape-seed PACs in the liver of healthy rats. Here, we report that PACs significantly increased the hepatic nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) content in a dose-dependent manner by specifically modulating the hepatic concentrations of the major NAD+ precursors as well as the mRNA levels of the genes that encode the enzymes involved in the cellular metabolism of NAD+. Notably, Sirtuin 1 (Sirt1) gene expression was also significantly up-regulated in a dose-response pattern. The increase in both the NAD+ availability and Sirt1 mRNA levels, in turn, resulted in the hepatic activation of SIRT1, which was significantly associated with improved protection against hepatic triglyceride accumulation. Our data clearly indicates that PAC consumption could be a valid tool to enhance hepatic SIRT1 activity through the modulation of NAD+ levels."

So Proanthocyanidins might be another route to increasing NAD+.

#386 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:35 PM

Dietary proanthocyanidins boost hepatic NAD+ metabolism and SIRT1 expression and activity in a dose-dependent manner in healthy rats

Abstract

"Proanthocyanidins (PACs) have been reported to modulate multiple targets by simultaneously controlling many pivotal metabolic pathways in the liver. However, the precise mechanism of PAC action on the regulation of the genes that control hepatic metabolism remains to be clarified. Accordingly, we used a metabolomic approach combining both nuclear magnetic resonance and mass spectrometry analysis to evaluate the changes induced by different doses of grape-seed PACs in the liver of healthy rats. Here, we report that PACs significantly increased the hepatic nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) content in a dose-dependent manner by specifically modulating the hepatic concentrations of the major NAD+ precursors as well as the mRNA levels of the genes that encode the enzymes involved in the cellular metabolism of NAD+. Notably, Sirtuin 1 (Sirt1) gene expression was also significantly up-regulated in a dose-response pattern. The increase in both the NAD+ availability and Sirt1 mRNA levels, in turn, resulted in the hepatic activation of SIRT1, which was significantly associated with improved protection against hepatic triglyceride accumulation. Our data clearly indicates that PAC consumption could be a valid tool to enhance hepatic SIRT1 activity through the modulation of NAD+ levels."

I always thought that there is probably more than the eye can see when Chromadex anounced this:

http://investors.chr...icle&ID=2052219

• WellResearched x 3
  • Agree x 1

#387 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:47 PM

Dietary pterostilbene is a novel MTA1-targeted chemopreventive and therapeutic agent in prostate cancer

http://www.impactjou...41&path[]=22919

ABSTRACT

Overexpression of the epigenetic modifier metastasis-associated protein 1 (MTA1) is associated with aggressive human prostate cancer. The purpose of this study was to determine MTA1- targeted chemopreventive and therapeutic efficacy of pterostilbene, a natural potent analog of resveratrol, in pre-clinical models of prostate cancer. Here, we show that high levels of MTA1 expression in Pten-loss prostate cooperate with key oncogenes, including c-Myc and Akt among others, to promote prostate cancer progression. Loss-of-function studies using human prostate cancer cells indicated direct involvement of MTA1 in inducing inflammation and epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition. Importantly, pharmacological inhibition of MTA1 by pterostilbene resulted in decreased proliferation and angiogenesis and increased apoptosis. This restrained prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN) formation in prostate-specific Pten heterozygous mice and reduced tumor development and progression in prostate-specific Pten-null mice. Our findings highlight MTA1 as a key upstream regulator of prostate tumorigenesis and cancer progression. More significantly, it offers pre-clinical proof for pterostilbene as a promising lead natural agent for MTA1-targeted chemopreventive and therapeutic strategy to curb prostate cancer.

New study confirms Pterostilbene potential against human prostate cancer

I always thought that there is probably more than the eye can see when Chromadex anounced this:

and don't forget Pterostilbene.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#388 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

Abstract

We dont need chromadex for that: we already have grape seed that I think not others ingredients (even pycnogenol) related succeed to be as close as it is effective.

Bryan, sorry but do you still have your graph for NR NAD+ boosting activity / Time please ? and also to come back more early on this topic: what made you think NMN has to first being converted to NR to enter the cell ?

Edited by Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi), 23 April 2016 - 04:02 PM.

#389 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:49 PM

Abstract

We dont need chromadex for that: we already have grape seed that I think not others ingredients (even pycnogenol) related succeed to be as close as it is effective.

Bryan, sorry but do you still have your graph for NR NAD+ boosting activity / Time please ? and also to come back more early on this topic: what made you think NMN has to first being converted to NR to enter the cell ?

And Pine bark. Both readily and inexpensively available in 95% and 98% proanthocyanidan extract concentrations.  I find this particularly interesting because I used to take quite a bit of that stuff to treat connective tissue related discomfort but its absorption rate seemed too low  for much effect. NR in contrast is much more effective. I've been taking a teaspoon of HPN bulk NR (about 500 mg NR) in a shake mixer and based on this I'll start adding a scoop of bulk GSE which has been sitting in my fridge.

So do you think they can make some wine with that purple corn?

Howard

#390 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the abstracts Bryan.

You don't even necessarily have to take supplemental extracts to get a significant (in terms of their NAD+ boosting effects) amount of proanthocyanidins. I have often said that I consider the OPC content of red wine more important for its health effects than its widely variable and rather erratic resveratrol content (no need to make "wine" :wacko: from red corn - red grapes, particularly the seeds, contain plenty OPC). Dark chocolate/cocoa powder (preferably non-dutched) is a very rich source as well, as is cinnamon. My polypulp contains a whopping 400 mg per teaspoon.

See The USDA Database for the Proanthocyanidin Content of Selected Foods

Edited by timar, 23 April 2016 - 09:19 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide riboside, nicotinamide, nad boosting, charles brenner, david sinclair, leonard guarente, niagen, niacinamide, nicotinamide mononucleotide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By