• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 16 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside [Curated]

nicotinamide riboside nicotinamide nad boosting charles brenner david sinclair leonard guarente niagen niacinamide nicotinamide mononucleotide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2255 replies to this topic

#121 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:57 AM

From previous posts of yours; I am under the impression that you benefit financially from the sale of NR Bryan_S. Am I correct?

I don't make a dime, wish I did. My benefit is the same discount everyone else receives and I have to also order it with you guys and stock up like everyone else between offerings. HPN's offered me no special compensation. I picked up the month to month duties form PWAIN after members kept asking for the next discount offering date and I contacted HPN to get that date and somehow became their main contact to keep it going. If their was a consideration with the initial deal it wasn't passed on to me. So for the record I get no financial compensation. PWAIN set up the group buy and deserves the credit but he's been oddly silent lately. I just take credit for keeping the deal going.

Edited by Bryan_S, 22 December 2015 - 04:59 AM.

• like x 3

#122 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:04 PM

From previous posts of yours; I am under the impression that you benefit financially from the sale of NR Bryan_S. Am I correct?

I don't make a dime, wish I did. My benefit is the same discount everyone else receives and I have to also order it with you guys and stock up like everyone else between offerings. HPN's offered me no special compensation. I picked up the month to month duties form PWAIN after members kept asking for the next discount offering date and I contacted HPN to get that date and somehow became their main contact to keep it going. If their was a consideration with the initial deal it wasn't passed on to me. So for the record I get no financial compensation. PWAIN set up the group buy and deserves the credit but he's been oddly silent lately. I just take credit for keeping the deal going.

Cool.  thx.  :)

#123 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:21 PM

Public on Jun 04, 2015

Title Defective Mitophagy in XPA via PARP1 activation and NAD+/SIRT1-depletion: Implications for neurodegeneration (mouse)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....gi?acc=GSE55485

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24813611

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4625837/

These are the sort of experiments strengthening the idea that NAD supplementation will help the DNA repair mechanisms of our PARP NAD dependent enzymes. If these underlying theoretical mechanisms prove to hold up under increasing scrutiny, this will be another rung in the ladder towards our understanding of prevalent NAD deficient conditions giving rise to an array of downstream diseases. 

Linking DNA Damage, NAD+/SIRT1, and Aging

Leonard Guarente 

http://www.sciencedi...550413114004628

A High-Fat Diet and NAD+ Activate Sirt1 to Rescue Premature Aging in Cockayne Syndrome

http://www.sciencedi...550413114004525

• Informative x 2
  • Well Written x 1

#124 Asor

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:54 PM

the one on the High-Fat Diet is very interesting...  going to read the full thing, but i keep seeing more and more studies about the benefits of a high-fat diet.

#125 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

From the old thread:

PINK1 protein crucial for removing broken-down energy reactors

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=740510

I don't get what this has to do with taking NR Brian_S?

#126 Ethic

• 52 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

Hello guys!

Happy new year everyone and thank you for collecting very promising publications!

- Is there any news, about a clean and highly concentrated Nicotinamide Riboside, other than Niagen and Elysium?

- An Indian or Chinese product for example?

- Any new results of purity tested Chinese orders?

I know, most of it is fake, e.g. Nicotinamide, but hopefully things will change for all of us in 2016 :)

Sincere thanks!

#127 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:06 AM

From the old thread:

It's been awhile but let me try and recount the premiss. 

Mitochondrial diseases have always been a sideline discussion associated with this Nicotinamide Riboside thread for obvious reasons. Many of the NR research projects are aimed at eliminating these conditions. Aging also seems to take its toll on our Mitochondria pushing them towards a disease state with ROS's. So research into the elimination of damaged mitochondria and methods for the selection of the healthiest ones to promote is/was the intent of that article. There were also other articles touching on the topic of restoring mitochondrial function earlier last year that fit this area of interest.  This was one on glycine See http://www.scienceda...50526085138.htm

You've also likely seen the thread on senolytics which is an effort to find drugs to help eliminate senescent cells. This idea is similar to the one above but encompasses eliminating the entire nonfunctioning cell, not just the broken mitochondria.

For now I'd just be watchful of these technologies and wait for the science to develop. I tried a 4 day experiment with this and I didn't feel so well after which I should have expected.

In this instance PINK1 recruits two proteins called Optineurin and NDP52 to the surface of mitochondria. These proteins, in turn, recruit a variety of other protein molecules that mark damaged mitochondria for degradation. Again I think its a bit early to dive into this like senolytics

The main thrust of taking the B3's like Nicotinamide Riboside is to increase the production of NAD thru all of our mitochondria. This action also induces mitochondrial biogenesis, so the question arises do we want to equally promote the mitochondrial biogenesis of the damaged organelles along with the functioning ones or if all possible do we want to eliminate them and concentrate our efforts on selectively promoting the healthiest ones with mitochondrial biogenesis? That's where it fits.

Happy new year

#128 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

From the old thread:

Mitochondrial diseases have always been a sideline discussion associated with this Nicotinamide Riboside thread for obvious reasons. Many of the NR research projects are aimed at eliminating these conditions. Aging also seems to take its toll on our Mitochondria pushing them towards a disease state with ROS's. So research into the elimination of damaged mitochondria and methods for the selection of the healthiest ones to promote is/was the intent of that article. There were also other articles touching on the topic of restoring mitochondrial function earlier last year that fit this area of interest.  This was one on glycine See http://www.scienceda...50526085138.htm

You've also likely seen the thread on senolytics which is an effort to find drugs to help eliminate senescent cells. This idea is similar to the one above but encompasses eliminating the entire nonfunctioning cell, not just the broken mitochondria.

For now I'd just be watchful of these technologies and wait for the science to develop. I tried a 4 day experiment with this and I didn't feel so well after which I should have expected.

In this instance PINK1 recruits two proteins called Optineurin and NDP52 to the surface of mitochondria. These proteins, in turn, recruit a variety of other protein molecules that mark damaged mitochondria for degradation. Again I think its a bit early to dive into this like senolytics

The main thrust of taking the B3's like Nicotinamide Riboside is to increase the production of NAD thru all of our mitochondria. This action also induces mitochondrial biogenesis, so the question arises do we want to equally promote the mitochondrial biogenesis of the damaged organelles along with the functioning ones or if all possible do we want to eliminate them and concentrate our efforts on selectively promoting the healthiest ones with mitochondrial biogenesis? That's where it fits.

Happy new year

Thx!

I asked as I am in fact looking at mitophagy/PINK1/Parkin and will be posting soon.

Happy new year to you and everyone too!  :)

• like x 1

#129 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

Just wanted to pop in and say that I've been away for well over 9 months dealing with a series of family struggles/tragedies and am blown away by the threads on NR which have evolved while I've been gone...This new extension of the old thread in particular... Thank you Bryan for all your efforts... you're an amazing and dedicated human...it will take me awhile to digest and integrate all the new reflections/insights as I resume my NR/Resveratrol/other regimen... I've seriously "aged" while away fighting other costly battles... 

#130 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:09 PM

ChromaDex Lead Ingredient NIAGEN® Nicotinamide Riboside Achieves GRAS Status - NIAGEN® Also Recently Received New Dietary Ingredient (NDI) Status From the FDA -

https://finance.yaho...-113000114.html

• Informative x 1

#131 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

From the old thread:

Happy new year

Happy new year to all of you guys

What do you think about spermidine for that purpose:

aging-03-716-g003.jpg

Edited by Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi), 04 January 2016 - 12:25 PM.

#132 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say that I've been away for well over 9 months dealing with a series of family struggles/tragedies and am blown away by the threads on NR which have evolved while I've been gone...This new extension of the old thread in particular... Thank you Bryan for all your efforts... you're an amazing and dedicated human...it will take me awhile to digest and integrate all the new reflections/insights as I resume my NR/Resveratrol/other regimen... I've seriously "aged" while away fighting other costly battles... 

Hope 2016 will bring better times!

In an earlier post you wrote:

15 March 2015 - 05:10 AM

I began NR over 6 months ago, with the understanding that it is operating at the cellular level and thus things might unfold/improve over time (I'm 64).  I spent two all nighters consuming every scrap of information I could gleen on NR once I began to explore it/restarted my membership ion LongeCity.... It sounded exciting and intriguing... so I bought in.... I noticed improvements in night vision within a few weeks (undeniable, not subjective) and a gradual improvement in metabolic functioning with NO changes to my lifestyle/exercise/life extension regimin.  I specifically tried to change nothing but NR/micronized Resveratrol.I am at 1 gram/day.  Would love testing but it ain't gonna happen at my economic level...

I do a wide range of telomere/mitochondrial health adjuncts as well as a host of other things... Eat extremely well. I do most of this on faith in selected research results I've come across over the years.  Have no idea what I'd be like if I didn't have a fairly complete stack (I'm healthier than most of my peers).  

Since beginning NR/Res I walk easier, climb rocks better, ascend/descend stairs with no more niggles, and do believe there are cellular improvements going on.  As Duarte notes, it'll be a decade before we begin to fully understand this complex ecosystem which houses us but I'm convinced that my body is functioning better. It is NOT placebo that I can see the combo and unlock my gate at dusk these days when I needed a flashlight before... I assume elevating nad at the cellular level is having such a wide range/myrid of effects,,,it will be quite awhile before we get a handle on it.

I kind of laugh at all the WOW! comments... this ain't speed...

Have these benefits dissapeared if I may ask? It would then seem that, as somewhat expected, you cannot have large breaks in supplementation.

Happy new year all! Stefan

Edited by stefan_001, 04 January 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#133 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:47 PM

What do you think about spermidine for that purpose:

I've read Turnbuckle's topic front to back and have already done some research on purchasing "lkm512" powder as a probiotic source of spermidine. If you scanned the tread "lkm512" was mentioned but it received very few responses and fell on deaf ears. It is available as a bacterial source to make yogurt. I'm not really sure we are lacking this nutrient Spermidine in particular but I am interested in the health benefits from many types of Lactobacillus because some offer spermidine production and additional Anti-inflammatory metabolite production. I've looked over the "lkm512" studies and see a conflict of interest because the studies were conducted by the Japanese companies marketing "lkm512" so I'm not convinced its superior to every other bacterial strain. If at all possible I'd like to see comparative studies across multiple Lactobacillus strains to see which are highest in spermidine production and are best at inhibiting inflammatory cytokines.

But your observation regarding mitochondrial autophagy and Spermidine is valid. Spermidine induces autophagy by inhibiting the acetyltransferase EP300 I think this topic is worthy of discussion but it begins to diverge from our basic NR discussion on this thread.

• Informative x 1

#134 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:39 PM

A Letter From the ChromaDex Chief Executive Officer
IRVINE, Calif., Jan. 06, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The following is issued on behalf of ChromaDex:

Frank Jaksch writes a pretty good 2015 overview and throws us some bookmarked reading of his own. See links

• Informative x 2

#135 Asor

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:44 PM

I mentioned a few times this study:

http://www.cell.com/...4131(14)00164-8

because i have a mitochondrial disease and the study involves the use of NR to increase NAD+ levels and counteract the effects of the mitochondrial malfunctioning.

The same group is still working on that, on larger animals models and trying to start a clinical study on patients, i have contacted one of the researchers (Italian like me) and he kindly answers some of my questions and keeps me updated on the progress.

The news i got today aren't that good for me but it could interest you people taking NR to contrast aging and what not.

What the researcher said to me is that in the last year they realized a few things: oral administration is not ideal, to reach the same effects they had on the mice study you should take 30 grams/day, now they're experimenting by using sub-lingual administration (as Bryan_S is already doing if i remember correctly).

Further, they now have a better idea about dosages and frequency of administration.

Now they need to get back to the "Drugs Agency" and see whether they're happy with the new data collected or ask for further investigations, and he expect it'll take about a year to start the whole thing.

Keep in mind that what they're aiming for is a formulation that helps patients with mitochondrial diseases, and for that they need very high dosages, but as another doctor mentioned to me, healthy people should gain some positive effects from NR even from small dosages (this was informal talk so take it for what it is).

• Informative x 3

#136 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:49 PM

I mentioned a few times this study:

http://www.cell.com/...4131(14)00164-8

because i have a mitochondrial disease and the study involves the use of NR to increase NAD+ levels and counteract the effects of the mitochondrial malfunctioning.

The same group is still working on that, on larger animals models and trying to start a clinical study on patients, i have contacted one of the researchers (Italian like me) and he kindly answers some of my questions and keeps me updated on the progress.

The news i got today aren't that good for me but it could interest you people taking NR to contrast aging and what not.

What the researcher said to me is that in the last year they realized a few things: oral administration is not ideal, to reach the same effects they had on the mice study you should take 30 grams/day, now they're experimenting by using sub-lingual administration (as Bryan_S is already doing if i remember correctly).

Further, they now have a better idea about dosages and frequency of administration.

Now they need to get back to the "Drugs Agency" and see whether they're happy with the new data collected or ask for further investigations, and he expect it'll take about a year to start the whole thing.

Keep in mind that what they're aiming for is a formulation that helps patients with mitochondrial diseases, and for that they need very high dosages, but as another doctor mentioned to me, healthy people should gain some positive effects from NR even from small dosages (this was informal talk so take it for what it is).

Hello Asor, 30 grams / day is a lot. I am wondering whether this can be a conversion mistake because the paper mentions:

"To test the effects of pharmacological intervention, we first administered NR to Sco2KOKI mice and WT littermates (n = 4/group), as a food admix (400 mg/Kg) (Cantó et al., 2012) for four weeks"

which according my quick calculation should mean 2-3 gram for a 65-80kg human ...well probably not as obviously these are experts.

But we know from the Chromadex trials that upto 2.7 fold increase is reached with <1gram doses. With 30 grams you can take a >1 gram dose every hour. Considering that the half time time is hours a 30 gram regiment should lead too extremely high serum level. I am wondering what serum levels they need or what effect the treatment is supposed to have.

Did you try yourself NR?

Edited by stefan_001, 08 January 2016 - 10:57 PM.

• Agree x 1

#137 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

Astor,

Always good to hear from you. A happy and heathy new year to you.

The comments they gave you are sort of confusing. I feel there are a lot of researchers waiting for the current 6-week study to conclude before moving forward. This in fact may be a prudent stance especially when working with people who have Mitochondrial syndrome.

The Brenner study suggested a NAD plateau of a 50% NAD rise was reached along the dosage scale they tested 100mg, 300mg and 1000mg. "The oral presentation and poster presented data which indicate that single doses of NIAGEN® NR can elevate the co-enzyme NAD+ in the blood by as much as 2.7-fold. In the first-in-humans clinical trial which involved dosing twelve healthy adult subjects, the group showed that blood cell NAD+ increased with single 100 mg, 300 mg and 1 gram doses of NIAGEN® NR. Average maximal increases in blood NAD+ were approximately 30% at the 100 mg dose and approximately 50% at the higher doses. Increases in blood NAD+ tended to be sustained for longer times at higher doses." So how are we to interpret these results if another researcher is looking at 30 grams per day?

If 300mg's and 1 gram dosages both produced a 50% NAD rise this to me would suggest a metabolic saturation point was reached. Personally I don't see this as an immovable limit and feel this hurdle can be crossed and stretched.

Now this was a one time dosage study and it can be assumed there are several barriers such as oral absorption, cell membrane transport and the rate at which NRK1 and NRK2 can add a phosphoryl group to the molecule to produce nicotinamide mononucleotide. We also have to consider there may be a NAMPT feedback inhibitor depending on the utilization rates of the NAD+, in fact I would expect the NAD+ to NADH ratio would put on the breaks. These are all rate limited processes but I think the Cell Membrane Pnuc transporters that catalyze cellular uptake of (Nr) is the first big rate limited hurdle.

Now I tend to "believe" the cell does not un-necessarily produce its transporters/catalysts in excess beyond its regular day to day needs which the Brenner one time dose study did not address. However if a subject found him or herself in the enviable situation of finding a reliable source of Nicotinamide Riboside it "might" produce these enzymes in greater quantity over time with nutritional and exersize conditioning to produce a consistent supply with cellular demand. These are the sorts of questions we all look forward to hearing the answers to after the 6-week study.

I'm sure there is much more to this data from the Brenner study we need to consider. However since we ran the Nicotinamide Riboside half-life calculations, 30-grams per day may exceed our bodies ability to process such amounts which would be about 2.5 grams per hour for 12 hours or an intravenous drip of 1.25 grams per hour around the clock. I'm also pretty certain much of it would be eliminated thru the kidneys. So I don't think the single dose study suggested the changes that might occur after weeks of regular supplementation and adaptation. 

We also know the crossover from Mouse to Human dosages isn't a straight scale-up per kilogram. We had discussed this on one of our previous NR threads when the body surface area (BSA) normalization method was tabled. So my point is I hope the figure they gave you is off by at least one decimal point but they may very well want to see the results of mega dosing but I expect they would do this with a fairly heathy subject.

My only concern at these levels would be on the elimination side of the equation, especially after reading about mitochondrial disease and kidney function which appears to be rather common. As a group we can safely discuss these issues because few of us could afford to venture into 30-grams per day as this would be the equivalent of 4-retail bottles per day. 

Below is what 30-grams per day orally might look like considering a 4 hour half-life. Entertainment purposes only. But if the kidneys were compromised I would expect the peaks to be higher and the elimination curve much slower, new territory to be sure. 

post-34050-0-10800600-1452325856.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by Bryan_S, 09 January 2016 - 08:46 AM.

#138 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Astor,

Always good to hear from you. A happy and heathy new year to you.

The comments they gave you are sort of confusing. I feel there are a lot of researchers waiting for the current 6-week study to conclude before moving forward. This in fact may be a prudent stance especially when working with people who have Mitochondrial syndrome.

The Brenner study suggested a NAD plateau of a 50% NAD rise was reached along the dosage scale they tested 100mg, 300mg and 1000mg. "The oral presentation and poster presented data which indicate that single doses of NIAGEN® NR can elevate the co-enzyme NAD+ in the blood by as much as 2.7-fold. In the first-in-humans clinical trial which involved dosing twelve healthy adult subjects, the group showed that blood cell NAD+ increased with single 100 mg, 300 mg and 1 gram doses of NIAGEN® NR. Average maximal increases in blood NAD+ were approximately 30% at the 100 mg dose and approximately 50% at the higher doses. Increases in blood NAD+ tended to be sustained for longer times at higher doses." So how are we to interpret these results if another researcher is looking at 30 grams per day?

If 300mg's and 1 gram dosages both produced a 50% NAD rise this to me would suggest a metabolic saturation point was reached. Personally I don't see this as an immovable limit and feel this hurdle can be crossed and stretched.

Now this was a one time dosage study and it can be assumed there are several barriers such as oral absorption, cell membrane transport and the rate at which NRK1 and NRK2 can add a phosphoryl group to the molecule to produce nicotinamide mononucleotide. We also have to consider there may be a NAMPT feedback inhibitor depending on the utilization rates of the NAD+, in fact I would expect the NAD+ to NADH ratio would put on the breaks. These are all rate limited processes but I think the Cell Membrane Pnuc transporters that catalyze cellular uptake of (Nr) is the first big rate limited hurdle.

Now I tend to "believe" the cell does not un-necessarily produce its transporters/catalysts in excess beyond its regular day to day needs which the Brenner one time dose study did not address. However if a subject found him or herself in the enviable situation of finding a reliable source of Nicotinamide Riboside it "might" produce these enzymes in greater quantity over time with nutritional and exersize conditioning to produce a consistent supply with cellular demand. These are the sorts of questions we all look forward to hearing the answers to after the 6-week study.

I'm sure there is much more to this data from the Brenner study we need to consider. However since we ran the Nicotinamide Riboside half-life calculations, 30-grams per day may exceed our bodies ability to process such amounts which would be about 2.5 grams per hour for 12 hours or an intravenous drip of 1.25 grams per hour around the clock. I'm also pretty certain much of it would be eliminated thru the kidneys. So I don't think the single dose study suggested the changes that might occur after weeks of regular supplementation and adaptation. 

We also know the crossover from Mouse to Human dosages isn't a straight scale-up per kilogram. We had discussed this on one of our previous NR threads when the body surface area (BSA) normalization method was tabled. So my point is I hope the figure they gave you is off by at least one decimal point but they may very well want to see the results of mega dosing but I expect they would do this with a fairly heathy subject.

My only concern at these levels would be on the elimination side of the equation, especially after reading about mitochondrial disease and kidney function which appears to be rather common. As a group we can safely discuss these issues because few of us could afford to venture into 30-grams per day as this would be the equivalent of 4-retail bottles per day. 

Below is what 30-grams per day orally might look like considering a 4 hour half-life. Entertainment purposes only. But if the kidneys were compromised I would expect the peaks to be higher and the elimination curve much slower, new territory to be sure. 

post-34050-0-10800600-1452325856.jpg

Wrt the body being able to increase the amount of NR it can process wouldn't that take place along a recovery in the mitochondria amounts (in middle aged / seniors)?

Edited by stefan_001, 09 January 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#139 Asor

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

If you have any question to relay to the researcher working on this i will gladly do it, he usually answers me within one day but i try to not bother him with menial stuff, i always ask short and direct questions.

Anyway, few clarifications: the 30 grams dosage isnt going to happen as far i understand, they're trying new solutions to increase absorption, alternative to classic oral administration (eg: sublingual).

Also i need to repeat that what they're working on is a solution for patients with mitochondrial diseases so the objective is different, needs higher dosages than healthy people and such.

Another thing my neurologist (not the researched mentioned above) told me is that the final objective of this is to increase mitochondrial biogenesis and hoping the newly generated mitochondria is healthy.

#140 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:44 PM

If you have any question to relay to the researcher working on this i will gladly do it, he usually answers me within one day but i try to not bother him with menial stuff, i always ask short and direct questions.

Anyway, few clarifications: the 30 grams dosage isnt going to happen as far i understand, they're trying new solutions to increase absorption, alternative to classic oral administration (eg: sublingual).

Also i need to repeat that what they're working on is a solution for patients with mitochondrial diseases so the objective is different, needs higher dosages than healthy people and such.

Another thing my neurologist (not the researched mentioned above) told me is that the final objective of this is to increase mitochondrial biogenesis and hoping the newly generated mitochondria is healthy.

Thanks, I expect as they work these details out it will be a ramped dosage approach pinned to the subjects blood results. 

Wrt the body being able to increase the amount of NR it can process wouldn't that take place along a recovery in the mitochondria amounts (in middle aged / seniors)?

You are referring to mitochondrial biogenesis correct? There are also other rate limiting factors that in my estimation can be modified over time to increase NR's utilization. So in the context of the 30-gram per day scenario I still feel this is an extreme dosage but I believe the capacity to utilize more than the modest supplementation we partake in is possible. This is where I think the price helps protect us from over supplementation if there is such a thing. You've got to believe somewhere along the dosage scale there will be a point where to much of a good thing will tax one tissue or the other, I just don't know how high that dosage exists and no study to date has addressed this question. To date there has been no toxic effects recorded but once we exceed the bodies ability to process and eliminate an agent the rules can change. We can see from the half-life chart at 24-hours there is still a considerable residual.  Day by day in a 30gm/per/day regiment this would be expected to grow. Of course we cant be sure that graph is correct without better data but it illustrates a possible concern.

Continuing with mitochondrial biogenesis. Yes the production of NAD+ would increase/benefit over time as the volume/biomass of your mitochondria increased but I wouldn't rely sole on (NR) supplementation to bring this about and this is part of what I'm overtly hinting about. It has also been recognized that Nampt was one of the the rate-limiting components in the mammalian NAD biosynthesis pathway. So keeping this in mind increased exercise has also been shown to increase Nampt levels and and with higher levels also comes mitochondrial biogenesis absent of anything else. Overall combining the reinforcing physical activities with (NR) supplementation to produce mitochondrial biogenesis would produce a positive feedback loop each helping to bring about a similar/reinforcing/complimentary environment.

The added physical activity produces demands that must be meet and the cell evolves its respiratory capacity to meet that demand. For those that think evolution takes many millennia we can effect changes in our cellular performance on very short timescales.

So in all Exercise positively alters SIRT1, SIRT6, NAD and NAMPT levels. There are multiple paths to decelerating the aging process and they just happen to reinforce one another. So for those who say Bah Humbug to exercise you may be missing half of the formula because together the nutritional NAD precursor path and the physical exercise path both combine to increase the capacity of these supporting enzymatic pathways.

To recap on modifying our metabolic capacity, taking the 30-gram per day example not knowing where our limit might be reached I'd say we could increase our capacity to utilize hire and higher dosages over time. Where at first there would be a lot of unmetabolized NR excreted but over time our cells could be conditioned to take up and utilize more. I'm just not sure about 30-grams per day but I'm sure their aim would be a ramped approach.

#141 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:32 PM

Thanks, I expect as they work these details out it will be a ramped dosage approach pinned to the subjects blood results. 

You are referring to mitochondrial biogenesis correct? There are also other rate limiting factors that in my estimation can be modified over time to increase NR's utilization. So in the context of the 30-gram per day scenario I still feel this is an extreme dosage but I believe the capacity to utilize more than the modest supplementation we partake in is possible. This is where I think the price helps protect us from over supplementation if there is such a thing. You've got to believe somewhere along the dosage scale there will be a point where to much of a good thing will tax one tissue or the other, I just don't know how high that dosage exists and no study to date has addressed this question. To date there has been no toxic effects recorded but once we exceed the bodies ability to process and eliminate an agent the rules can change. We can see from the half-life chart at 24-hours there is still a considerable residual.  Day by day in a 30gm/per/day regiment this would be expected to grow. Of course we cant be sure that graph is correct without better data but it illustrates a possible concern.

Continuing with mitochondrial biogenesis. Yes the production of NAD+ would increase/benefit over time as the volume/biomass of your mitochondria increased but I wouldn't rely sole on (NR) supplementation to bring this about and this is part of what I'm overtly hinting about. It has also been recognized that Nampt was one of the the rate-limiting components in the mammalian NAD biosynthesis pathway. So keeping this in mind increased exercise has also been shown to increase Nampt levels and and with higher levels also comes mitochondrial biogenesis absent of anything else. Overall combining the reinforcing physical activities with (NR) supplementation to produce mitochondrial biogenesis would produce a positive feedback loop each helping to bring about a similar/reinforcing/complimentary environment.

The added physical activity produces demands that must be meet and the cell evolves its respiratory capacity to meet that demand. For those that think evolution takes many millennia we can effect changes in our cellular performance on very short timescales.

So in all Exercise positively alters SIRT1, SIRT6, NAD and NAMPT levels. There are multiple paths to decelerating the aging process and they just happen to reinforce one another. So for those who say Bah Humbug to exercise you may be missing half of the formula because together the nutritional NAD precursor path and the physical exercise path both combine to increase the capacity of these supporting enzymatic pathways.

To recap on modifying our metabolic capacity, taking the 30-gram per day example not knowing where our limit might be reached I'd say we could increase our capacity to utilize hire and higher dosages over time. Where at first there would be a lot of unmetabolized NR excreted but over time our cells could be conditioned to take up and utilize more. I'm just not sure about 30-grams per day but I'm sure their aim would be a ramped approach.

Hello Brian, yes I was referring to mitochondrial biogenesis. Sure I think it is more than logical that there would be other rate limiting factors. I have noticed that exercise is part of the formula. This may sound not entirely believable for some but I can notice that the impact of NR is higher when I exercise. The body is waking up in a better shape than in periods without exercise. So I do about 5 times a week 1.5 hours of some form of fitness e.g. some weights + exercise classes.

On the dosing we, or at least I am, lacking some perspective to judge whether we supplement a lot or not. It would be great to know what is the daily NAD+ consumption of the body.

Asor I would like to thank that you share this information on that research. If I could ask something it would be the understand at which levels of supplementation they have seen mitochondrial biogenesis in mice. And how they calculated the 30g/day dose from the mice doses.

Stefan

#142 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:38 AM

Bryan, has Cromadex considered manufacturing sublingual Niagen? Maybe tablets or strips or drops?

#143 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:12 AM

Bryan, has Cromadex considered manufacturing sublingual Niagen? Maybe tablets or strips or drops?

No they haven't and I specifically asked about this. They are of the opinion NR is already pretty bioavailable already so whats the point. Now from a supply demand perspective the formulation from HPN changed to accommodate the wishes of the consumer and they eliminated the silica and other fillers and moved into the vegetarian cellulose for encapsulation we see now. When Chromadax sends the NR to its distributers that form isn't ready to put in capsules. They need to get it into a powdered form that can easily flow into the capsule and to that end HPN uses a Microcrystalline cellulose. This change was the result of sublingual users like myself wanting a cleaner product.

Edited by Bryan_S, 10 January 2016 - 01:14 AM.

• Informative x 1

#144 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:28 AM

Thank you. Q: if they say it's already pretty bioavailable, then why would you open capsules and pour it under your tongue?

#145 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:49 AM

Thank you. Q: if they say it's already pretty bioavailable, then why would you open capsules and pour it under your tongue?

For many small molecules its an alternative route for absorption avoiding the acidic environment of the gastrointestinal tract or the alternative of injection. So for many small molecules this is a way to be sure we are absorbing the maximum amount of our investment. The absorption of many drugs through the sublingual route is 3 to 10 times greater than oral route and is only surpassed by hypodermic injection. So considering the expense of the substance and the amount absorbed this method can tip the scales as to: "Do I swallow the pill or do I place the capsule contents under my tongue?" The choice is yours. If you have plenty of money I'd recommend buying more and swallowing the pill but for those of us who are watching our pennies we can place the contents under our tongue to produce the desired effect to get more absorption for our money. Also of consideration are the capsule excipients; hence why I mentioned HPN and their friendly sublingual formulation. Excipients are mixed with an active ingredient to allow it to be placed in capsules effortlessly. I place this disclaimer into this response for a reason. Some excipients are harmful if accidentally inhaled so this sublingual application is not a practice to blindly envelope all incapsulated drugs or nutritional's because not all are suitable to this intake method. So beware, do not place silica powdered contents under your tongue, buyer beware check your ingredients because some are not designed to be taken safely this way.

sthira I know you didn't ask for this much explanation but we have a lot of people who are just lurking our forum who will not log in and ask questions.

Edited by Bryan_S, 10 January 2016 - 04:06 AM.

• Informative x 1

#146 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:27 AM

On the dosing we, or at least I am, lacking some perspective to judge whether we supplement a lot or not. It would be great to know what is the daily NAD+ consumption of the body.

That is my question exactly and this question permeates the populous at large! However since NAD depletion is a recent question that's been identified I don't think we can find an fast answer on the day to day quantities needed other than seeing the NAD fall off charts vs age. The evidence is overwhelmingly apparent and the deficit is being related to a number of disease states involving our NAD dependent enzyme processes.

blogp4.jpg

Correlation between NAD+ levels and Age in (A) Males (B) Females.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3407129/

What I like today is this overall understanding is being applied to conditions such as reoccurring nonmelanoma skin cancers and is producing statistical clinical study results. Its hard to dismiss results.

As to your question "a lot or not" I weight this with the safety factor, what is the possible harm vs benefit. Since the NAD precursor's have received almost 70-years of research we can just look it up and they look relatively benign unless taken in "excessive amounts." NR is a new arrival since (2004) in lab and 2013 since commercially released but I'd place it in the (NAM) nicotinamide category for now and that one has a pretty safe track record at doses far higher than we are contemplating with (NR).

But if safety is a concern it appears (NR) is so far the safest and most effective NAD boosting approach. If money is an issue (NAM) is still cheap and offers some of the benefits but not all.

We can expect at some point someone will attempt to mega dose themselves to death but at the current price it won't be cheap or happen soon. We have seen some on this forum approach the 7 gram per day level but no one has yet come forward to say they've maintained this dosage for months on end. Again as previously stated no toxic dosage levels have yet been identified.

Sorry I didn't know you were still on the fence, I thought it was a given. Of the options available (and we know there are others) this appears to be the safest NAD boosting approach.

Edited by Bryan_S, 11 January 2016 - 07:21 AM.

#147 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

That is my question exactly and this question permeates the populous at large! However since NAD depletion is a recent question that's been identified I don't think we can find an fast answer on the day to day quantities needed other than seeing the NAD fall off charts vs age. The evidence is overwhelmingly apparent and the deficit is being related to a number of disease states involving our NAD dependent enzyme processes.

What I like today is this overall understanding is being applied to conditions such as reoccurring nonmelanoma skin cancers and is producing statistical clinical study results. Its hard to dismiss results.

As to your question "a lot or not" I weight this with the safety factor, what is the possible harm vs benefit. Since the NAD precursor's have received almost 70-years of research we can just look it up and they look relatively benign unless taken in "excessive amounts." NR is a new arrival since (2004) in lab and 2013 since commercially released but I'd place it in the (NAM) nicotinamide category for now and that one has a pretty safe track record at doses far higher than we are contemplating with (NR).

But if safety is a concern it appears (NR) is so far the safest and most effective NAD boosting approach. If money is an issue (NAM) is still cheap and offers some of the benefits but not all.

We can expect at some point someone will attempt to mega dose themselves to death but at the current price it won't be cheap or happen soon. We have seen some on this forum approach the 7 gram per day level but no one has yet come forward to say they've maintained this dosage for months on end. Again as previously stated no toxic dosage levels have yet been identified.

Sorry I didn't know you were still on the fence, I thought it was a given. Of the options available (and we know there are others) this appears to be the safest NAD boosting approach.

Hello Brian, thanks for your reaction. I am not on the fence, NR is showing far too positive effects. In fact I increased my dosing to 250mg in the morning and 250mg in the evening (12 hour interval). I increased the Magnolia extract to 200mg in the morning and 400mg in the evening. I increased the Pterostilbene to 50mg in the morning and 100mg in the evening. I added 60mg Ginkho in the morning and 120mg in the evening on the hunch that I would like to ensure the bloodcirculation is very good and the "remote" parts of the body have a equal chance to extract NR (and it may some other benefits as well).

What I am somewhat on the fence for and I believe similar for you, is more in frequency and amount going to be better? The 12 hour interval I am also doing to ensure that a down regulation mechanism, if there is any, may not have a chance to develop. The evening dose under the thinking that sleep is a good repair window and may be a period where the body uses supplements effectively. I don't have scientific fact for that. Overall I am seeing NR as the base layer supplement  to keep the body healthy. Ontop, exercise, supplements to be used to trigger additional improvement which can now be fueled by the larger NAD+ pool. So how big should and can the NAD+ pool be made so all processes can be served.

Stefan

Edited by stefan_001, 10 January 2016 - 09:54 AM.

#148 Marty D

• 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

With regard to mitochondrial bio-genesis has anyone considered PQQ in light of recent developments in NAD research? I'm unqualified to comment but I've been reading along and there is an interesting post here http://michaelrucker...and-pgc1-alpha/ suggesting a connection with AMPK. PQQ seemed to fall out of favor with the nootropic crowd but the new research surrounding mitochondrial underpinnings may have some relevance?

#149 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

What I am somewhat on the fence for and I believe similar for you, is more in frequency and amount going to be better? The 12 hour interval I am also doing to ensure that a down regulation mechanism, if there is any, may not have a chance to develop. The evening dose under the thinking that sleep is a good repair window and may be a period where the body uses supplements effectively. I don't have scientific fact for that. Overall I am seeing NR as the base layer supplement  to keep the body healthy. Ontop, exercise, supplements to be used to trigger additional improvement which can now be fueled by the larger NAD+ pool. So how big should and can the NAD+ pool be made so all processes can be served.

Stefan

I don't necessarily believe more is better. I believe there is a certain saturation point which has yet to be identified and is different for all of us. I don't think we can push NAD levels higher than when we were young and at some point even with repeated conditioning and exersize our utilization curve will top out and adding more NAD precursors beyond that would be a waste of money.

I believe the most cost efficient approach is to break the daily dosage into evenly timed applications thru the day to stay near our maximum saturation point. If the ChromaDex/Brenner study was correct and the 300mg and 1000mg dosages produced an identical 50% NAD rise then there is a rate limiting process along the path. I think its tied to our utilization. If this is indeed true than surpassing the 300mg dosage has diminishing returns the higher you push the dosage because the unused portion will be eliminated thru the kidney's. As blood serum levels fall we have the opportunity supplement again to keep us near our saturation point. I believe its truly a use it our lose it scenario.

I liken the whole situation to a bucket with a leak. The older we get the bigger the leak. Fill the bucket to much and the excess splashes out. So in this scenario the amount needed differs with age and our infirmity's which helps drive demand beyond what's recycled and this recycle process gets worse with age.

So much like you I see the NAD precursors as a base supplement because we have this recycling/salvaging issue that diminishes our available NAD pool with age. But having said that there is also the theory that our NAD demand just raises with age. Either way the NAD pool needs supplementation to meet demand. 

Down regulation mechanism. Hum . . . we know the whole NAD process is driven via feed back loops so yes there are several down regulation mechanisms. However NAD is central to your respiratory metabolism so its how our cell breaths and I don't see that being cut off. I look at this as a supply and demand scenario. Excess Nicotinamide along with the NAD NADH ratio from our NAD reactions tells the cell I'm nutritionally satisfied and this begins to inhibit Sirtuin processes that ramp down NAD production. Once those (NAM) levels eventually fall the Sirtuin activities become more active again. There are other sensors at work as well but together when NAD falls low enough those enzymes to produce more become active again.

Sleep is a good repair window but lets also consider our circadian rhythm and NAD is a central signaling metabolite. I thought this way as you and dosed prior to sleep but found many nights I had the urge to read and it wasn't putting me to sleep. This told me I was fooling my body into thinking to was time to be mentally active. So I'm now trying to respect this part of my cycle and compliment it with the sedative effects of Nicotinamide (Nam) instead of stimulating myself with (NR).

To each their own.

Edited by Bryan_S, 10 January 2016 - 05:09 PM.

• Informative x 1

#150 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the great efforts on all posters parts. It does help others decision making. Also, I specifically thank you, Bryan_S for your warning in post 152 about the dump and absorb sublingual method; and the dangers of inhalation, especially from excipients.

Are there any group deals going on, or suggestions about where to get the best prices? Currenly at 100 mg once per day. Would like to double that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide riboside, nicotinamide, nad boosting, charles brenner, david sinclair, leonard guarente, niagen, niacinamide, nicotinamide mononucleotide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By