* * * * * 3 votes

low dose Rapamycin?

rapamycin

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

Has anyone considered getting their hands on Rapamycin and taking it intermittently at low doses? There is far more evidence that this will extend lifespan compared to something like C60 that lots of people are taking here. 

http://www.bloomberg...-already-exist-

Sci Transl Med. 2014 Dec 24;6(268):268ra179. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3009892.
mTOR inhibition improves immune function in the elderly.
Author information
  • 1Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. joan.mannick@novartis.com.
  • 2Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, 53100 Siena, Italy.
  • 3Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
  • 4Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, East Hanover, NJ 07936, USA.
  • 5Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
  • 6Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland.
  • 7Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305-5124, USA.
  • 8Southern Clinical Trials, Christchurch 8024, New Zealand.
Abstract

Inhibition of the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) pathway extends life span in all species studied to date, and in mice delays the onset of age-related diseases and comorbidities. However, it is unknown if mTOR inhibition affects aging or its consequences in humans. To begin to assess the effects of mTOR inhibition on human aging-related conditions, we evaluated whether the mTOR inhibitor RAD001 ameliorated immunosenescence (the decline in immune function during aging) in elderly volunteers, as assessed by their response to influenza vaccination. RAD001 enhanced the response to the influenza vaccine by about 20% at doses that were relatively well tolerated. RAD001 also reduced the percentage of CD4 and CD8 T lymphocytes expressing the programmed death-1 (PD-1) receptor, which inhibits T cell signaling and is more highly expressed with age. These results raise the possibility that mTOR inhibition may have beneficial effects on immunosenescence in the elderly.

• like x 2

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:03 AM

It certainly sounds interesting.  I encourage everyone to read the Bloomberg article linked above-- it's good.  The problem with rapamycin at the moment is that it's kind of hard to get and it's immunosuppressive.   C60oo has a lot less data, but it doesn't have any significant negative side effects and it's easy to get.  In the single small animal study published to date, it's a hell of a lot more effective (in Wistar rats) than rapamycin.   It also has properties in humans that make it more than worth the price of admission without even considering lifespan effects.  That doesn't mean I'm not interested in rapamycin; if someone develops a dosing program that's safe and effective, or if Novartis modifies it such that they lose the immunosuppression and keep the Mtor inhibition, that would be great.  Blagoskonny claims that not taking rapamycin is more dangerous than smoking, overeating, and not wearing your seatbelt combined.  Seems improbable, but wow...

Anyone have a usage protocol?

Edited by niner, 21 October 2015 - 05:05 AM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:50 AM

So is everolimus a form of rapamycin? Is that what would be best to take? How hard is this stuff to source? Maybe taking it for a week every couple of months would be enough.

#4 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

Restricting methionine and eating shitloads of Ginkgo Biloba and Garlic and partaking in various teas (Ginkgo Biloba, Red Reishi, Green Tea) is what I do and it's cheap, *and* safe. And walk five kilometres every day.

There are limits to what I would be willing to pay even for lifespan extension... based on money and pigheaded stubbornness, I expect 1kg Rapamycin costs more than all the Ginkgo, Garlic, Reishi, Green Tea in the known world.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:19 PM

There are limits to what I would be willing to pay even for lifespan extension... based on money and pigheaded stubbornness, I expect 1kg Rapamycin costs more than all the Ginkgo, Garlic, Reishi, Green Tea in the known world.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need a kilogram, since at a milligram a day, that would last you 2700 years.  Just for laughs, I looked up the price for bulk rapamycin.  These guys will sell you ten grams for 2650 USD as of today.  A kilogram at that rate, without any quantity discount, would run you $265,000.  That would buy a lot of tea, but not the world's supply.  I didn't look on Alibaba, so maybe you could beat their price.  This exercise tells me there are a lot of sources for rapamycin; it's probably not that hard to get.  Now if it just wasn't for the immunosuppression and canker sore issue...  Which does make me wonder if we could get by with a low dose and/or cycling it to dodge the side effects. 

• Good Point x 2
  • Informative x 2

#6 geo12the

• Topic Starter
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:20 PM

Restricting methionine and eating shitloads of Ginkgo Biloba and Garlic a

Garlic is amazing. If I ever feel depressed or out of sorts I eat an entire head of garlic lightly sauteed in OO. The next day I feel absolutely euphoric, almost electrified and filled with energy. But I STINK for days and the people around me complain. 

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 geo12the

• Topic Starter
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:22 PM

So is everolimus a form of rapamycin? Is that what would be best to take? How hard is this stuff to source? Maybe taking it for a week every couple of months would be enough.

From Wikipedia:

Everolimus (INN) (earlier code name RAD001) is the 40-O-(2-hydroxyethyl) derivative of sirolimus and works similarly to sirolimus as an inhibitor of mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR).

It is currently used as an immunosuppressant to prevent rejection of organ transplants and treatment of renal cell cancer and other tumours. Much research has also been conducted on everolimus and other mTOR inhibitors astargeted therapy for use in a number of cancers.

It is marketed by Novartis under the tradenames Zortress (USA) and Certican (Europe and other countries) in transplantation medicine, and Afinitor in oncology. Everolimus also available with Biocon with the brand name ofEvertor.

#8 geo12the

• Topic Starter
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:34 PM

It certainly sounds interesting.  I encourage everyone to read the Bloomberg article linked above-- it's good.  The problem with rapamycin at the moment is that it's kind of hard to get and it's immunosuppressive.   C60oo has a lot less data, but it doesn't have any significant negative side effects and it's easy to get.  In the single small animal study published to date, it's a hell of a lot more effective (in Wistar rats) than rapamycin.   It also has properties in humans that make it more than worth the price of admission without even considering lifespan effects.  That doesn't mean I'm not interested in rapamycin; if someone develops a dosing program that's safe and effective, or if Novartis modifies it such that they lose the immunosuppression and keep the Mtor inhibition, that would be great.  Blagoskonny claims that not taking rapamycin is more dangerous than smoking, overeating, and not wearing your seatbelt combined.  Seems improbable, but wow...

Anyone have a usage protocol?

The dosage for use in organ transplant is 6mg per day loading dose on day 1 followed by 2mg per day. There is a clinical trial just starting up where they are testing low dose rapamycin on the elderly. The dosage mentioned was around .5mg, 1mg and 2mg per day. I wonder how strong the immonusuppresive effects would be at doses of .5mg or lower?

https://clinicaltria...how/NCT01649960

Edited by geo12the, 21 October 2015 - 05:34 PM.

• WellResearched x 1

#9 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:23 PM

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need a kilogram, since at a milligram a day, that would last you 2700 years.  Just for laughs, I looked up the price for bulk rapamycin.  These guys will sell you ten grams for 2650 USD as of today.  A kilogram at that rate, without any quantity discount, would run you $265,000.  That would buy a lot of tea, but not the world's supply.  I didn't look on Alibaba, so maybe you could beat their price.  This exercise tells me there are a lot of sources for rapamycin; it's probably not that hard to get.  Now if it just wasn't for the immunosuppression and canker sore issue...  Which does make me wonder if we could get by with a low dose and/or cycling it to dodge the side effects. 

Why Is It Expensive?

#10 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:31 PM

Restricting methionine and eating shitloads of Ginkgo Biloba and Garlic a

Garlic is amazing. If I ever feel depressed or out of sorts I eat an entire head of garlic lightly sauteed in OO. The next day I feel absolutely euphoric, almost electrified and filled with energy. But I STINK for days and the people around me complain. 

Yeah me too (eat whole garlic heads sometimes). I also have a Ginkgo Biloba tree near me, I nibble bits of the bark and it tastes like disaronno.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:48 AM

Why Is It Expensive?

The molecule is incredibly complex.  The method of manufacture is described here, if anyone is interested.

#12 Decimus

• 100 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:59 AM

Weekly dosing of Rapamycin extends mouse lifespan:

http://onlinelibrary...e262fa2d8342550

#13 Decimus

• 100 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:09 AM

I would strongly consider taking .5mg-1mg once a week. I can't imagine the immunosuppressant effects would impede one's health unless he or she was very unlucky. Since weekly administration does appear to extend the biological benefits of the drug to mice, the larger question would be, is that dose high enough to garner any benefit from?
  • Good Point x 1

#14 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

I would consider taking .5mg once a week for 4 weeks and then having 4 weeks off and alternating like that. I would need to find a source though. It needs to be pills as I need the dosing to be accurate.

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:27 AM

I found this over at the Buck Institute site, regarding some work from Judith Campisi's lab.  She suggests a dosing schedule of "a few days or weeks every few years" (!)  I don't know if that's based on some understanding from the mouse system they worked with, or more of a blue-sky proposal.  I linked the pubmed entry for the paper at the bottom.

Intermittent dosing with rapamycin breaks inflammatory loop that fuels tumor relapse and age-related diseases

Novato, CA/June 30, 2015: Intermittent dosing with rapamycin selectively breaks the cascade of inflammatory events that follow cellular senescence, a phenomena in which cells cease to divide in response to DNA damaging agents, including many chemotherapies. The finding, published in Nature Cell Biology, shows that once disrupted, it takes time for the inflammatory loop to reestablish, providing proof-of-principal that intermittent dosing could provide a way to reap the benefits of rapamycin, an FDA-approved drug that extends lifespan and healthspan in mice, while lessening safety issues associated with its use.

“We think this could provide a paradigm shift in the treatment of age-related disease, including cancer,” said Buck professor Judith Campisi, PhD, senior scientist on the study. “Imagine the possibility of taking a pill for a few days or weeks every few years, as opposed to taking something with side effects every day for the rest of your life. It’s a new way of looking at how we could deal with age-related maladies.”

Campisi’s team, led by postdoctoral fellow Remi-Martin Laberge, PhD, who discusses the work on the SAGE blog,  collaborated with teams led by Peter Nelson, MD, at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Pankaj Kapahi, PhD, at the Buck Institute. They showed that rapamycin reduced the secretion of inflammatory cytokines from senescent cells in culture and in mice by suppressing the mTOR pathway, which promotes growth. The team gave rapamycin to mice with prostate cancer -- after they had been treated with DNA-damaging chemotherapy. Describing the inflammatory loop associated with senescence, Campisi said the results could impact current treatment of cancer patients. “DNA-damaging chemotherapy causes senescence, both to the tumor and its microenvironment. The tumor shrinks but the immediate tissue environment is inflamed. We think signals from those inflamed cells trigger residual cancer cells to grow again. In the mice, rapamycin suppressed the ability of the tumor cells to relapse.” Most importantly, Campisi said the results may help explain why rapamycin has had mixed results as a treatment for cancer. “It’s being given to patients as a way of stopping the growth of tumors. But we think that rapamycin may also be beneficial for those tumors that are driven by inflammation,” she said. “It needs to be tested in a population most likely to benefit.”

Nelson, a member of the Human Biology and the Public Health Sciences Divisions at Seattle’s Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, hopes to do just that. A practicing oncologist who specializes in treating prostate cancer, Nelson is planning a clinical trial utilizing rapamycin together with standard treatments. “Blocking the damage response in normal cells that have been bathed in chemotherapy could be instrumental in keeping errant or dormant cancer cells from starting down the path to proliferation,” he said. “We are eager to test this in select patients.”

“These findings may indeed have applicability for both aging and tumor growth,” said Harvey Cohen, MD, Director, Center for the Study of Aging & Human Development at Duke University’s School of Medicine. “Senescence-activated inflammation could be driving the increased incidence of cancer that we see with aging.” Dr. Cohen, whose research program includes studies on cancer in the elderly and molecular pathways that lead to functional decline, said. “While this study took place in mice, the work sets the scene to do early clinical trials in humans. Inflammation has a role in almost all tumor development and some cancers are more inflammatory than others. It would be interesting to see the effect that rapamycin has on those tumors and the surrounding tissue.”

Laberge said the paradigm-shifting potential of intermittent dosing is based on the fact that it takes time for the inflammatory loop (fueled by the senescence-associated secretory phenotype or SASP) to form and time for it to re-establish itself after a brief treatment of rapamycin. “Rapamycin blocks the production of a protein called IL-1alpha. This in turn, suppresses IL6, a well-known inflammatory cytokine, at the level of transcription, which prevents the production of the IL6 protein,” said Laberge. “Because it acts at a deeper level within the cellular process it takes longer for it to get started again.” He also points out that treatment with rapamycin selectivity impacts the SASP, preserving the function of factors essential for wound healing. “It’s an elegant solution – imagine using a small hammer to delicately knock out one thing that is causing problems. We knocked it out and it stayed out long enough to benefit the health of the animal.”

The study is expected to generate interest in the age research field among scientists studying rapamycin and its analogs as they look for ways to forestall late-life diseases. Rapamycin is an immune modifier first used after kidney transplant. While there is a lot of excitement about the drug, which improved seniors’ response to the flu vaccine in a clinical trial last year, there are concerns about its side effects, especially with long-term use. Rapamycin can make patients susceptible to some opportunistic infections and has been linked to hyperglycemia, which can cause type 2 diabetes, and high levels of triglycerides in the blood, which can contribute to heart disease. “We have yet to fully understand why suppressing the mTOR pathway via rapamycin increases lifespan and healthspan in mice. This work helps illuminates the puzzle,” said Campisi. “Perhaps the mice are living longer because they have less overall inflammation, and maybe intermittent dosing will make it possible for us to use it more widely in humans.”

Citation: Nature Cell Biology: mTOR Regulates the Tumour-Promoting Senescence-Associated Secretory Phenotype by Promoting IL-1a Translation

• Informative x 2

#16 LeeYa

• 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:40 PM

Low dose mTOR-inhibition is not solely immunosupressive. It has rather immunomodulatory effects:

mTOR inhibition improves immune function in the elderly

http://stm.sciencema.../6/268/268ra179

Although an interresting read in this context:

Rapamycin in preventive (very low) doses

"The most important advantage of the new study derives from the significant reduction of the dose used. The above-discussed side effects are generally a matter of dose: indeed, at particular doses any substance, even water, turns out to be toxic; thus, the ability of rapamycin to work at low doses makes it substantially more attractive as a candidate for a preventive medicine"

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4012933/

(refers to: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24556924)

Edited by LeeYa, 23 October 2015 - 03:48 PM.

• Informative x 2

#17 LeeYa

• 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:57 PM

However, it should be mentioned, that you have to consider your whole supplement regime,

just to make sure that you don't mess up with metabolism to much:

https://drive.google...p=sharing&pli=1

#18 DbCooper

• 137 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:42 PM

What if the immunosuppressive effects are what actually causes an increase in life span and longevity?

#19 LeeYa

• 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:01 PM

What if the immunosuppressive effects are what actually causes an increase in life span and longevity?

IMO this is is part of the story, because mTOR-inhhibition fights the inflammaging phenotype. This effect should be achieved even with a low dosis.

However, mild immunosupression still has several potential side effects, like a decreased resistance for infection. I wouldn't recommend rapamycin for mice in the wild!

#20 Jim Morrison

• 70 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

I wonder about detrimental effects on skeletal muscle with chronic mTOR inhibition:

J Cell Biol. 2009 Dec 14;187(6):859-74. doi: 10.1083/jcb.200903131.
Muscle inactivation of mTOR causes metabolic and dystrophin defects leading to severe myopathy.
Abstract

Mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) is a key regulator of cell growth that associates with raptor and rictor to form the mTOR complex 1 (mTORC1) and mTORC2, respectively. Raptor is required for oxidative muscle integrity, whereas rictor is dispensable. In this study, we show that muscle-specific inactivation of mTOR leads to severe myopathy, resulting in premature death. mTOR-deficient muscles display metabolic changes similar to those observed in muscles lacking raptor, including impaired oxidative metabolism, altered mitochondrial regulation, and glycogen accumulation associated with protein kinase B/Akt hyperactivation. In addition, mTOR-deficient muscles exhibit increased basal glucose uptake, whereas whole body glucose homeostasis is essentially maintained. Importantly, loss of mTOR exacerbates the myopathic features in both slow oxidative and fast glycolytic muscles. Moreover, mTOR but not raptor and rictor deficiency leads to reduced muscle dystrophin content. We provide evidence that mTOR controls dystrophin transcription in a cell-autonomous, rapamycin-resistant, and kinase-independent manner. Collectively, our results demonstrate that mTOR acts mainly via mTORC1, whereas regulation of dystrophin is raptor and rictor independent.

#21 LeeYa

• 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:25 AM

Jim,

why do you think that a mouse model with a deletion of the mTOR allele specifically in skeletal muscle is relevant for this topic?

Low-dose or intermittend mTOR-Inhibition should minimize the possible side effects to the muscle tissue. However, Rapamycin treatment in the very old (with the diagnosis of sarcopenia) is probably not a good idea. mTOR inhibition slows the aging rate, but if you are already very old, there is no profit but the side effects are more dangerous. The same applies to caloric restriction, by the way.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#22 Jim Morrison

• 70 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:29 AM

Not sure about intermittent use of rapa, but based on this KO mouse, I would be concerned about musculoskeletal health with life-long mTOR inhibition. As far as I remember muscle cramps are actually a side effect of tacrolimus. There are of course other tissue specific KO models of Raptor, Rictor or mTOR itself that show detrimental effects. Needles to say a knockout has little to do with pharmacological inhibition - just wanted to raise a red flag of caution here...

Edited by Jim Morrison, 28 October 2015 - 08:31 AM.

#23 Florian Xavier

• 242 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:46 AM

and with that ? : http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/26359359

• Informative x 2

#24 LeeYa

• 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:51 PM

Thanks, Florian Xavier!

Hutchinson gilford syndrom is a disease of it's own, and findings from this disease cannot simply be transferred to the "normal" aging process.

However, in this case the authors of the study think the combo of Low dose Rapamycin and All-trans retinoic acid deserves investigation in ageing-associated disorders, and I fully concur with that!

• Agree x 1

#25 Florian Xavier

• 242 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:45 AM

Thanks, Florian Xavier!

Hutchinson gilford syndrom is a disease of it's own, and findings from this disease cannot simply be transferred to the "normal" aging process.

However, in this case the authors of the study think the combo of Low dose Rapamycin and All-trans retinoic acid deserves investigation in ageing-associated disorders, and I fully concur with that!

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25587796

This clearly indicates that HGPS may truly represent accelerated aging, rather than being just a

simulacrum

#26 sub7

• 304 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

Is rapamycin even something that can be purchased by regular individuals in small quantities at reasonable prices?

Is this the kind of drug that -unless insurance pays for it- is unaffordable by the average patient?

I was looking around for prices -only out of curiosity- but couldn't come up with anything...

#27 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

Pterostilbene, a natural small-molecular compound, promotes cytoprotective macroautophagy in vascular endothelial cells.

Chemical modulators of macroautophagy (herein referred to as autophagy) have aroused widespread interest among biologists and clinical physicians because of their potential for disease therapy. Pterostilbene (PT), a natural small-molecular compound, has been demonstrated to inhibit oxidized low-density lipoprotein (oxLDL)-induced apoptosis in vascular endothelial cells (VECs). The aim of the present study was to investigate whether and how PT could induce VEC autophagy. PT at 0.5 or 1 μM could effectively induce autophagosome formation in human umbilical vein VECs (HUVECs). PT promoted autophagy via a rapid elevation in intracellular calcium ([Ca(2+)]i) concentration and subsequent AMP-activated protein kinase α1 subunit (AMPKα1) activation, which in turn inhibited mammalian target of rapamycin, a potent inhibitor of autophagy. PT-induced AMPKα1 activation and autophagy were refractory to the depletion of serine/threonine kinase 11 but depended on calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase-β activation. Interestingly, PT stimulated cytoprotective autophagy so as to aid in the removal of accumulated toxic oxLDL and inhibit apoptosis in HUVECs. Our study provides a potent small molecule enhancer of autophagy and a novel useful tool in exploring the molecular mechanisms for crosstalk between apoptosis and autophagy. PT could serve as a potential lead compound for developing a class of autophagy regulator as autophagy-related diseases therapy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22898568

A good Pterostilbene summary:

http://www.pterostilbene.com/

Edited by Logic, 07 December 2015 - 08:13 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • WellResearched x 1

#28 sub7

• 304 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

Very interesting, thanks for sharing

Though likely a far less potent solution that Rapamycin, no?

Do we know of anyone here who has taken Rapamycin for anti-aging?

#29 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

A study is underway in dogs. The researchers don't seem to worried about the immunosuppressive properties of Rapamycin.

New drug trial could see your dog live up to 5 years longer

Good times ahead!

PETER DOCKRILL
4 DEC 2015
facebook_x3.png
twitter_x3.png

Having a family pet pass away is a traumatic event for anybody, whether young or old, but new research into delaying the effects of ageing in animals could see dogs live significantly longer lives.

A trial currently underway at the University of Washington’s Dog Ageing Projectis investigating potential therapeutic strategies that could increase the healthy years enjoyed by our canines.

“We believe that improving healthy lifespan in pet dogs is a worthy goal in and of itself. To be clear, our goal is to extend the period of life in which dogs are healthy, not prolong the already difficult older years,” the researchers write on the project’s website. “Imagine what you could do with an additional two to five years with your beloved pet in the prime of his or her life. This is within our reach today.”

The trial involves 32 middle-aged dogs (6–9 years old, depending on the breed), that are being treated with the FDA-approved drug, rapamycin.

Rapamycin, also known as sirolimus, is used to prevent organ transplant rejection in human patients, and also to fight cancer. In low doses, rapamycin appears to slow ageing processes, with studies showing that it can increase the lifespan of mice and other organisms.

“If rapamycin has a similar effect in dogs – and it’s important to keep in mind we don’t know this yet – then a typical large dog could live two to three years longer, and a smaller dog might live four years longer," geneticist Daniel Promislow told Sarah Knapton at The Telegraph. “More important than the extra years, however, is the improvement in overall health during ageing that we expect rapamycin to provide.”

The researchers are looking to see how rapamycin affects the dogs’ heart function, immune function, activity, body weight, and cognitive measures. After the 3- to 6-month trial is complete, the dogs will be monitored to see whether there are any significant improvements to their healthy ageing and lifespan.

A longer trial is also being run on a second cohort of middle-aged dogs, and based on the results in mice, the researchers anticipate rapamycin will extend the healthy lifespan of middle-aged dogs by up to five years. If the results are successful, it’s quite possible that the benefits may extend to cats also – let alone other species.

In addition to intervention trials with rapamycin, the researchers are also conducting a longitudinal study of ageing in pet dogs, following animals throughout their lives to try to understand why some dogs live long, healthy lives, while others succumb to diseases such as cancer, kidney failure, and dementia.

“If we can understand how to improve the quality and length of life, it’s good for our pets and good for us,“ said Promislow. ”It’s win-win.”

Edited by velopismo, 09 December 2015 - 04:26 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:11 PM

D-Limonene

From

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=529307

down.

I'm rather proud of finding that one.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rapamycin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users