• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Baclofen: alternative for Phenibut ????

phenibut baclofen troll fake character manipulation ?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 Kabb

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:33 PM

I have had to pull some people through some pretty nasty Phenibut withdrawals and would advise caution.  A Phenibut withdrawal is remarkably similar to a benzo withdrawal.  Also, Phenibut appears to be cross-tolerant with benzos.

Benzo withdrawals are relatively well understood and have an extremely wide range from trivial to the worst experience ever encountered (I don't think those people are exaggerating).  A bad benzo withdrawal lasts many months and some run into years.  There's a whole literature out there describing personal experiences describing lives genuinely ruined, if anyone is interested.  Some people can't ever manage the withdrawal.

To put it into perspective, the majority of benzo users don't have a lot of difficutly but something like 20 to 30% find it hard and a subset of this group find it a terrible experience.

If it was me, I would avoid Phenibut.  I have had an extremely bad withdrawal from prescription benzos and Phenibut is therefore likely to give me a hard time.  Other may find Phenibut withdrawal is fine and that their withdrawal in trivial.  I wouldn't risk it myself.  John may be in the honeymoon phase just as I was with prescription benzos for the first 10 years but, boy, no benefit I had from the years of taking benzos could compensate for the truly terrible withdrawal which in my case lasted 2 years.

With baclofen I would say that a smaller percentage have bad withdrawals than Phenibut/benzos and the baclofen withdrawal is usually over far more quickly with far fewer long lasting effects.

The OP asked about baclofen and Phenibut.  The two are quite different and affect different receptors (although the neurotransmitter GABA is used in both) as John Gona says.  I have rarely seen anyone use one of those to successfully come off the other although I do know of one case and the results were extraordinarily positive.  I don't expect to see that again soon.

I would say Phenibut is potentially dangerous but you will only know if you are adversely affected when it is too late.  If you have a bad withdrawal and your GABA-A receptors don't function well enough to counter the glutamate receptors, you may experience chronic glutamate "storms" giving rise to a huge number of neurological symptoms for many months which you can't imagine even in your wildest nightmares.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by Kabb, 22 March 2016 - 10:34 PM.

#62 explr9

• 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:23 PM

I've been taking baclofen 20mg in the early evening every day for 6 months. It has eliminated craving for alchohol, reduced anxiety, and benefited sleep.

My experience with phenibute was the same as almost everyone's - that its great for one day, then causes problems. Its ridiculous. Recreational use only.

Baclofen has been hughly benifical to me. I take it most days, but if I skip a day, no big deal.

Its bizarre to read the entries of oracle labs. I couldn't read them all. Massive disinformation / marketing.

Baclofen is safely used by by people with back spasms for years, decades. When used for alcohol addiction, baclofen is dosed up to 300mg daily.

So if you want to get high or what ever, use phenibut, or xanax, etc.

But if your looking for effective, long term gaba support, try baclofen.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:01 AM

I have been reading a lot about people's experience on phenibut 'coz I want to gain as much knowledge as possible before trying it. I can see that the reaction varies from 'AWESOME-CHANGED MY LIFE!' to 'IT'S THE WORST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO MANKIND SINCE HITLER'. So some people react very well to it and some don't. Is it possible to find a pattern to this? It can't be just random, right? I don't have enough knowledge to draw a conclusion but if someone with enough resource can try to find some connection it'll be extremely helpful for guys like me.

#64 Kabb

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:12 PM

I have been reading a lot about people's experience on phenibut 'coz I want to gain as much knowledge as possible before trying it. I can see that the reaction varies from 'AWESOME-CHANGED MY LIFE!' to 'IT'S THE WORST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO MANKIND SINCE HITLER'. So some people react very well to it and some don't. Is it possible to find a pattern to this? It can't be just random, right? I don't have enough knowledge to draw a conclusion but if someone with enough resource can try to find some connection it'll be extremely helpful for guys like me.

Hello Sarif.  My own experience is primarily with benzodiazepines and not Phenibut.  

If I have understood him correctly, John Gona has written that Phenibut acts mainly at GABA-B receptors rather than GABA-A receptors.  However that is not exactly my impression and I get the impression that Phenibut acts like alcohol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, etc on the GABA-A receptor.  There is some dispute about this.

If my understanding is right and Phenibut does in fact act on GABA-A then it will work more or less like a benzodiazepine.  If that is indeed the case then it may interest you to know that there is almost no way to predict who will become heavily dependant by taking benzodiazpeine and who will withdraw without any trouble.  Old age, damaged nervous systems and mental illnesses are all negative factors but they don't really predict who will have problems.  The likelihood of dependency may be genetic but there is nothing which has been identified.

The chances are that you will have little trouble with Phenibut.  On the other hand, the downside cost of a nasty withdrawal are so enormous that you may want to give appropriate weight to that possibility rather than look at straightforward chances of one outcome or another.

To be honest, I expect you to write later this year saying Phenibut was great and after months of use you got off with no problem at all except for a sleepless week or two. What I wouldn't like to see is that in two years you write Phenibut was great but the withdrawal was hell on earth and that you still suffer disabling nerve symptoms from it.

PS:  John Gona, who replied to you, is getting a hard time.  Sure, his back story doesn't hold water (there may be good reasons why he doesn't want to reveal his real life self) but nevertheless he seems genuine enough, without malice and possess useful knowledge based on a formal education in the biochemistry.  Although I don't agree with his conclusion that it's fine to take Phenbut, I fully respect his views and his expertise.

#65 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

Hi,

Update: My phenibut HCL from LiftMode has arrived. I took 1 gm with water in empty stomach this morning. After that waited 2 hrs before taking any food. Unfortunately I didn't feel any effect. This may be due to the fact that I didn't sleep very well at night and in was very tired in the morning. Will try with 1.5 gm tomorrow morning. 

#66 Kabb

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

Hi,

Update: My phenibut HCL from LiftMode has arrived. I took 1 gm with water in empty stomach this morning. After that waited 2 hrs before taking any food. Unfortunately I didn't feel any effect. This may be due to the fact that I didn't sleep very well at night and in was very tired in the morning. Will try with 1.5 gm tomorrow morning. 

Phenibut will surely have an effect if you take a high enough dose.  As far as I know, Phenibut is not a nootropic and drugs which increase the activity of GABA receptors (either A or B) tend to have a marked adverse effects on memory which may qualify them to be opposite of a nootropic.

If you wish to post about your daily dosing with Phenibut (or alcohol, baclofen, barbiturates) then I wonder if you might find a more receptive audience in a forum discussing recreational drugs?  

The only people I can think for whom a GABA-ergic drug like Phenibut might help with their cognition are those whose function is badly impaired by excessive anxiety and they can often be found exchanging information on anxiolytic drugs and other coping strategies on mental health forums.

Sorry to sound like a party pooper.   :excl:

#67 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

Hi,

Phenibut will surely have an effect if you take a high enough dose.  As far as I know, Phenibut is not a nootropic and drugs which increase the activity of GABA receptors (either A or B) tend to have a marked adverse effects on memory which may qualify them to be opposite of a nootropic.

If you wish to post about your daily dosing with Phenibut (or alcohol, baclofen, barbiturates) then I wonder if you might find a more receptive audience in a forum discussing recreational drugs?  

The only people I can think for whom a GABA-ergic drug like Phenibut might help with their cognition are those whose function is badly impaired by excessive anxiety and they can often be found exchanging information on anxiolytic drugs and other coping strategies on mental health forums.

Just to be clear, do you mean that Phenibut should not be discussed here since it doesn't have any nootropic property and it's taken purely either as an anxiolytic  or for recreational purpose? 

#68 Oracle Laboratories

• 35 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:09 PM

stan08,

Thank you for the feedback, and the overview of your dosing plan.  With that daily dosage, you likely will not run into any seriously noteworthy problems.  The issue arises when users take higher and higher doses, to try and chase the slight dopamine-influx-mediating effect.  Everybody is different as far as time-frame, but eventually you will notice the dopinergic effects of your normal dose, drop off a bit.  However, for most people (including myself) that I have surveyed for clinical logistical evaluations, still retain relatively prominent anti-anxiety effects from their effective therapeutic dose.  This is why it is important to start at the lowest effective dose, and work your way up only as you need to.

toto75015,

Your bring up a perfectly valid point, that I tried to touch on, in my previous posts.  Using Phenibut "just for the hell of it" is rather pointless, as any dopamine-mediated mood-lift that you may get from it is minuscule, and is the first effect to diminish over long-term dosing.  Although, for people with legitimate anxiety issues who do not have access to, or do not want to use, benzodiazepine drugs, Phenibut is a wonderful nootropic that happens to be out there for legitimate anxiety sufferers, as long as it is taken as-needed and responsibly, and is not discontinued too abruptly.

Interesting that you brought up Fluorophenibut (F-Phenibut).  I did some in-vivo self-sampling of this particular substitution a several months ago, when it first started to appear online.  In my opinion, it is much more Baclofen-like than Phenibut-like. (Which to me means very limited activity). I tried a 50mg oral dose, but did not do anything to attempt and analyze it's absorption or metabolism. Remember that Baclofen is just a Phenibut molecule with a chloride atom attached to the ^3 position of the molecule's cyclic phenyl ring.  Since a fluoride group is a halogen, just like Baclofen's chloride group, it makes sense that they should have similar oral bio-availability, binding affinities, and metabolism.  The reason that Phenibut doses have to be so large is that the molecule goes through such extensive first-pass metabolism in the stomach, and most of it is destroyed before it is absorbed.  However, the addition of that single little chloride atom on Baclofen significantly protects it's molecule from extensive first-pass metabolism in the stomach. (Just think, 1000mg doses are typical for Phenibut, while 20mg doses are typical for Baclofen). Since Flourophenibut also contains a halogen group (in this case, a flourine atom), it should be expected that the oral absorption should be on the higher side (like Baclofen), but perhaps not quite as great, since the fluoride group basically behaves like an oddly-shaped hydrogen atom - it may be susceptible to several digestive enzymes and/or enzymatic proteases in the stomach.  Still, the doses required should be significantly lower than required for Phenibut.

I am surprised that I haven't seen more on the online forums about Fluorophenibut, yet.  Once, while giving a lesson on amino acids to one of my younger cousins who is interested in biochemistry, we synthesized another pretty closely-related compound to Baclofen - namely Bromophenibut - one that I have not seen anywhere in the literature, even though it probably has been synthesized before, and I probably cannot take credit for it's discovery.  (We didn't try it in-vivo or in-vitro (either animal or human models), as very little was produced, just for demonstration). Bromide groups are halogens, just like the fluorine group on Fluorophenibut, and the chloride group on Baclofen, so they most likely all have fairly similar Baclofen-like pharmacological actions. As far as specific affinities for GABA Receptors, as well as their oral bio-availability and metabolism, there are likely some slight variations.

Although, it is important to note, that Phenibut generally provides much greater anxiety relief than Baclofen in most people, because Baclofen only possesses one of Phenibut's three mechanisms-of-action that promote anxiolysis. (And, this is probably true for Fluorophenibut, in most people).  The same chloride atom that protects Baclofen in the stomach and increases it's oral bio-availability so much, also means that unlike Phenibut it does not possess any noteworthy affinity for the a2o-subunit-containing Voltage-Gated Calcium Channels that Phenibut does. (Another mechanism-of-action by which Phenibut produces it's anxiolytic action).  Also, that same addition of the chloride atom of the phenyl ring of Baclofen appears to nullify all affinity for the TAAR1 (Trace-Amine Associated Receptor), which Phenibut does possess - where it antagonizes the action of the body's endogenous B-phenythylamine (which can promote anxiety, and is the chemical backbone for many drugs like amphetamines and some substituted cathinones, which can induce anxiety), this being the third mechanism by which Phenibut achieves it's anxiolytic effect.  I don't know if Fluorophenibut will really catch-on or not, basically just being an ultra-simple functional Baclofen substitution.  The 50mg dose (free amino-acid form) that I took didn't do much at all, and very much seemed typically Balofen-like to me. Time will tell how the majority of the research chemical testers will react to it.  If nothing else, it may be a more readily-available way for some individuals to obtain it over prescription Baclofen tablets.  As far as safety goes, Fluorophenibut is just a substitution of one functional halogen group for another - (the chloride group in Baclofen, and the fluorine group in Fluorophenibut), which behave very similarly chemically, so safety should be comparable. (Unless maybe in the case of LD50 (Lethal Dose 50%) studies, where one might be slightly more potent, but that's probably splitting hairs unless you are ingesting grams upon grams of either one).

Kabb,

For the most part, you are absolutely correct; any long-term GABA site excitation followed by an abrupt discontinuance of the use of said agonist, can lead to dramatic imbalances in the Voltage-Gated Ca+ channels in the GABAergic neurons.  Phenibut withdrawal follows many of the same symptoms of Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome, and withdrawal from other GABA -A Receptor agonists, like barbiturates, meprobamate, methaqualone, zolpidem, etc.  Phenibut and several medically-used GABA -A agonists can roughly be considered “cross-tolerant“, but not directly because of their agonist effect at their respective target receptor subtype, but because the a2o calcium channel neurotransmission can become unbalanced in all GABAergic neurons if either Phenibut or a GABA -A agonist are used for an extended period of time, and both Phenibut and GABA -A Receptor agonists can help agonize those (now down-regulated) binding sites which helps to restore that Ca+ transmission within GABAergic neurons.  So, yes, both Phenibut and benzodiazepines can suppress many of the symptoms of the other’s withdrawal syndrome, but not directly by working at the same binding sites.

I can assure you that Phenibut has less affinity for both the allosteric and GABA binding sites, as well as the Benzodiazepine Binding Sites on the GABA -A Receptor than endogenous GABA does itself.  The Phenibut (and related compound) binding affinity profiles that we conducted almost perfectly backed up the previous publications out there (check the more recent Russian studies), that noted a very weak affinity for GABA -A Receptors that comprised of approximately only 0.002% of the total orally-absorbed dose of Phenibut that crosses the Blood-Brain-Barrier, and that out of what did bind, had an almost non-existent agonist action. (I believe the 2008 Dambrova et al paper measured it’s agonist strength at GABA -A Receptors at less than a 600,000th that of it’s agonistic strength at GABA -B Receptors).  The addition of the cyclic phenyl ring on the GABA molecule that forms Phenibut, makes the drug highly selective for the GABA -B Receptors, and despite both functioning as binding sites for GABA (therefore allowing the neuro-transmission of similar Volgate-Gated Calcium channels), the ionotropic GABA -A Receptors and the metabotropic GABA -B Receptors are indeed very different receptor types, morphologically.

So, although yes, technically Phenibut does possess some very slight affinity for GABA -A Receptors, it is so minuscule that it is medically insignificant, and does not contribute to the pharmacological action that we associate with Phenibut, nor it’s withdrawal syndrome.  (Remember, that another large portion of Phenibut’s anxiolytic action is also due to it’s a2o Ca+ channel modulation (as a gabapentinoid) in GABAergic neurons, with is an action that neither benzodiazepines or Baclofen possess).  

The main difference between the withdrawal syndrome associated with Phenibut and strong GABA -A Receptor agonists, like benzodiazepines and barbiturates, is that although severe Phenibut  withdrawal may make you feel like hell, it’s typically not a medical emergency the way that withdrawal from the ionotropic GABA -A or GHB Receptors can be, in the sense of causing Grand Mal, Myoclonic, and Absence seizures - as well high hypertension and severe cardiac arrhythmia often do.  (Unless you are a preexisting epileptic, have an acetylcholine imbalance, or are taking medications that lower the seizure threshold, such as something like quetiapine, for example).  As long as you do not suffer a preexisting cardiac, epileptic, severe hypertensive disorder, or take any medications that may be contraindicated when withdrawing from an excessive dose of Phenibut, you are not medically at risk the same way that you can quickly become, by abruptly withdrawing from long-term use of a strong ionotropic GABA -A Receptor agonist, like a benzodiazepine.

However, although there may not be any noteworthy cross-reactivity at their binding sites, the effects on Ca+ channel transmission in GABAergic neurons is similar, and their pharmacological effects on our mood and behavior can be similar.  This is what myself and medievil were discussing about using a benzodiazepine for a week or two when stopping long-term Phenibut use, in the small percentage that experience extreme rebound anxiety, even when gradually withdrawing their therapeutic Phenibut dose.  The idea behind this is that although the neurotransmission at the now down-regulated GABA -B Receptors will still be unbalanced, and technically those sites will still be in the withdrawal state, the use of  a GABA -A agonist benzodiazepine will suppress pretty much every symptom of the GABA -B Receptor withdrawal, plus the additional rebound anxiety that some experience, and will keep the individual comfortable during the time that it takes for the GABA -B Receptors to up-regulate again, to the state that they were before the use of Phenibut.  (Again though, many individuals do get a bit too comfortable with benzodiazepines, and if you are the type of individual that gets yourself into trouble with a simple amino acid (Phenibut), than you can potentially get yourself into even greater trouble with benzos if you overuse them.  So, I recommend the use of a benzodiazepine to withdraw only if you are part of the small percentage of people with a true, severe anxiety disorder, that experiences unbearable rebound anxiety, even when gradually weaning down your dose).

I still have to stand by both my personal experience, pharmacological experimentation, and clinical evaluation of volunteer participants, that Phenibut (for a very large majority, at least) can absolutely be discontinued by gradually reducing the dose. (For those participants that we studied, which were diagnosed with either Situational Anxiety Disorder or Panic Attack Disorder, the full therapeutic dosage (500mg - 2000mg) was discontinued by 10% over ten weeks time, with no significant withdrawal symptoms noted. And, in the event that any users out there DO feel any withdrawal discomfort or rebound anxiety, simply keep the dose where it’s at, and wean slower.  However, in my experience, many users without significant or legitimate anxiety disorders can wean at least that quickly, and even more rapidly in many cases.  The idea is, that by stretching your dose reduction over a ten-week period, you allow time for your GABA -B Receptors the necessary time to up-regulate to their previous sensitivity, before you started taking Phenibut.  I have no doubt that people do run into trouble with Phenibut (we‘ve all seen the posts), but if the dose is weaned correctly and gradually enough, you absolutely can avoid withdrawal syndrome, like with just about any psychoactive drug (even many more serious drugs in the case of physical dependency and addiction, like opioids, cocaine, amphetamines, etc).  It is absolutely shocking to me how many people seem to get in trouble with, and become horribly dependent to a simple phenylated version of an endogenous amino acid.  (Of course, GHB addiction is just that, but GABA -B agonists are rather benign, and can be effectively weaned).

One think that I want to clear up, since some of the posters in this thread seem to think that I am actively promoting the use of Phenibut for everybody, is that Phenibut IS a drug.  Many people in the nootropic circles like to think of Phenibut as a dietary supplement, the same way that tyrosine supplements are used.  Although Phenibut is based off of one of our endogenous neurotransmitters (GABA), it IS mad-made, does not occur naturally in nature such as a plant alkaloid or an endogenous protein, hormone, or neurotransmitter. - It is a man-made drug, and should be treated as such.  As somebody who suffers from a legitimate anxiety disorder and who uses Phenibut in conjunction with other medications, I absolutely believe that it should be accessible to people who would benefit from it and do not have other available treatment options (or who do not tolerate some prescription treatment avenues very well).  However, I fully admit that like any psychiatric drug (particularly as a GABA agonist), that it should only be used by informed individuals who understand and know how to effectively mitigate any risks associated with it’s use (and it’s discontinuance).  Using Phenibut in an attempt to feel good is not a problem if it is used legitimately and responsibly, but using Phenibut searching for a “high” or “pick-me-up” is just illogical - it doesn’t produce effects that most would consider “recreational” and you will eventually become tolerant and possibly dependent on it if used habitually.

Probably the biggest problem with Phenibut use, as far as these internet horror stories go, is that people will look up a random supplier and order a given amount of Phenibut.  Many times the doses are not even weighed accurately, and are just sort of eye-balled.  Furthermore, who have tons of conflicting data online about what the correct dosage range is, and the risks of long-term administration, with very little (and conflicting) data on how to effectively stop using phenibut when the patient wishes to.  Since Phenibut is often lumped into the nootropic drug categories (alongside things like Piracetam and choline supplements), people seem to assume that they can just order some, be very flexible in their dosage, use it until they no longer feel much from it, and then simply stop using it.  Well, you can do that with most nootropic drugs and supplements without any legitimate withdrawal effects, but a lot of users (and suppliers) are not making the correct distinctions between using drugs like Piracetam and supplements like Tyrosine, with a GABA -B agonist, like Phenibut. So, people (usually at the recommendation of the supplier or others, online) order their own supply, use it rather sporadically and haphazardly, and really have no logistical plan on how to discontinue their use, when that time comes.  (Then they are surprised when they find out how accustomed their GABA Receptors have become to having it, and then write long, angry posts online, vilifying Phenibut as some terrible drug of addiction).

Let’s not forget that many categories of psychotropic drugs, even many used medically, in psychiatry and neurology, carry dependency liabilities - even in many categories of drugs with no abuse potential, such as many serotonergic drugs, other class antidepressants, mood stabilizing drugs, antipsychotic medications, ADD and ADHD  drugs, sleep disorder medications, dementia and Alzheimer’s drugs, some cognitive-enhancing drugs, etc., all can cause fairly extreme side-effects, but many can also cause fairly serious withdrawal syndromes, if they are abruptly discontinued.  Think even of some of the more commonly-used antidepressants, perhaps a drug like Mirtazepine (brand name Remeron, in the US).  Despite being one of those drugs that psychiatrists love to hand out, if used in moderate - large doses, over an extended period of time, and then abruptly stopped, without weaning down the dose, Mirtazepine’s withdrawal syndrome can include severe anxiety, tremor, vertigo, restlessness, irritability, decreased appetite, insomnia, diarrhoea, nausea, flu-like symptoms, pruritus, cluster headaches and in some cases hypomania, mania, psychosis, and acetylcholine-deficient-caused convulsions.  (I actually had friend who used to work with the biochemistry section of our team, who’s mother suffered a seizure upon discontinuing mirtazepine, who now has some degree of permanent facial paralysis).  Mirtazepine is just one example of one of the classes of drugs that psychiatrists generally love to prescribe, that not only carry side-effect profiles that can be intense, but also withdrawal syndromes.

So, before vilifying Phenibut (which, as covered, is a simple phenylated version of an amino acid already found in our brains), just understand that it is a drug, and not a simple choline supplement or vitamin that can be taken or discontinued whenever the user feels like it.  If you have a legitimate reason to try Phenibut, and you decide that you are going to use it - just understand that you will have to do so the same way that you would take any medically-administered psychiatric drug. (Meaning taking consistent doses, at consistent intervals, and following a pre-implemented dose-reduction schedule beforehand.  That way, if/when you discontinue Phenibut use, you can reduce your dose gradually enough that your down-regulated GABA -B Receptors have some time to rebalance Ca+ neurotransmission, before you stop dosing all together.  (It is also a good idea to let a physician or psychiatrist that you can see at least semi-regularly know what you are doing, so that they can evaluate your status, and pick up on things that you may have missed).  I work alongside medical teams (usually on clinical evaluations for new psychotropic compounds, like our Phenagabine evaluation, due to be published next year) and I often review patient records, and am even in contact with many patients locally and via the internet (email, Skype, ect).  It is always a good idea to have somebody with the right background reviewing your progress every so often, as sometimes when we self-diagnose, we see only what we want to, and we miss things that can turn out to be important in the long-run.
explr9 claims that I am providing “massive disinformation” and “marketing”.  First of all, I have not claimed anything about the compounds mentioned in this thread, regarding their activity or use that has not been scientifically vetted (in many cases, I have done the work first-hand), and secondly, I certainly am not pushing Phenibut as some magical substance that everybody should use.  As somebody who is intimately familiar with it’s pharmacology and clinical profile, as well as somebody who has benefited from it, and seen many others benefit from it, I absolutely believe Phenibut to be a valuable compound, and I believe that those who legitimately have the need for it, should have access to it.  Do I think that it’s over-used?  Yes, absolutely, there are many people using it simply to chase some kind of “high” or sedative, anxiolytic benzodiazepine-like effect from it, which it simply does not possess.  Those individuals who genuinely have a need for it may feel much better after taking it, but it certainly is not a “legal high” or a drug that should be purchased with any big expectation of a recreational, euphoric effect.

It is, after-all, a man-made molecule, and by definition a drug (and not a dietary or nutritional supplement), and should be treated with some level of seriousness, and not used recklessly.  By psychopharmacological standards, compared to many of our approved psychiatric medications today, it has a very good tolerability and safety profile in healthy individuals, and it also has very few clinically-relevant side-effects compared to many of the medications that are also approved to treat the conditions that Phenibut treats.  It also has a low toxicity (LD50), and does not adversely interfere with many other pharmaceutical compounds.  The only real drawback that it does have, is that by being a GABA -B agonist, it can cause some form of GABAergic mediated dependency.  (Again, it’s hard for me to truly even classify Phenibut as being “addictive” in the psychological sense of the definition, since nobody really craves it’s effects, or actively seeks out it’s effects).  Although, in comparison to almost all ionotropic GABA -A Receptor agonists, the withdrawal syndrome is less pronounced, less dangerous, and can be mitigated or eliminated altogether by a carefully-implemented taper plan, to gradually wean the dose down before stopping treatment outright.  

This is basically what it all comes down to.  This is the reason that some people have found it a life-saver, and have been on it for years (like myself), and why some people take it for two months, run out, and then suffer ugly withdrawals, and curse it as a poison.  It is also really important to note that everybody’s biochemistry and neuro-morphology is varyingly different.  The only way to know how you will respond personally, is to begin treatment yourself (low doses initially), and adjust your treatment based on your response.  Kabb mentioned that I may be in the “honeymoon phase” with the benzodiazepine drugs that I use to control anxiety.  Though, in all reality, I have always been able to use both very large doses, and a very numerous number of GABAergic drugs with no significant dependency issue.  My tolerance develops fast, but I do not suffer the withdrawal syndrome that most people do.  So, it really does come down to personal neurochemistry and psychology as far as what works for one person, and what works for another.  There’s really not much else that can be said on the Phenibut issue. - It can be extremely useful for many people, though it still can cause an unpleasant withdrawal syndrome if discontinued too quickly.  It’s not a “good” or “bad” drug, either way, it’s simply a drug.  All we can do is educate those who do use it, with the best medical data and personal experience that we can.  (Which was the main reason I decided to join Longecity, or to participate in this field at all.. - to learn all that we can, and disseminate that knowledge to other people, so they can make informed decisions).

Sorry to sound like a party pooper. :excl:

Kabb made a good point, here.  Although technically not a nootropic drug (since it has no effect of cognition or memory-enhacement), it is often lumped into the nootropic category, and sold by as lot of the same types of suppliers.  Echoing what I said in my above post, Phenibut really only has a noteworthy benefit, or significant improvement on mood in those who actually have legitimate anxiety disorders, and who naturally have GABA (/norepinephrine/glutamate) deficiencies.  In my experience, a lot of the people who wind up posting those horrible withdrawal stories, are generally indidivudals that didn't really need to use Phenibut in the first-place, and were careless and reckless with their dosing, since upon initial encounter, Phenibut's effects are pretty subtle (compared to many other man-made psychotropic drugs, at least).  This is the biggest point that I think people should take away from this thread.

Personally, I would be interested in how Sarif responds, after all of this discussion.  Also, although technically not a nootropic drug, Phenibut is certainly psychotropic, and I may be a new member here, but I certainly feel that it's discussion has a place on a forum like this one.  It seems to me that a lot of the membership here are focused on the technological advances that will allow humans to live as long as possible. - Well, I feel that the biggest part of that is how we feel during the course of our lives, and any potentially therapeutic compounds, certainly have a place in the discussions here, in my opinion.  Just look at some of the current work by the teams at John Hopkins Medical School and The University of Hannover in Germany, in investigated prescription applications for Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, or by the street name "Ecstasy").  A lot of the studies into MDMA for anxiety disorders and things like Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder that were shut down during the 1960's are now resurfacing, with the first in-vivo human trials in 30+ years.  Exciting stuff!

Sarif, I see that you've sent me a private message.  If you want, we can coordinate your treatment either through this site, email, Skype, etc., so that you have somebody educated monitoring your response to treatment.  This basically just consists of a lot of general questions into how you're feeling, and how you're functioning.  The most important questions initially are: *What kind of symptoms first made you consider using Phenibut? *What dose and what form (Free-Amino-Acid of hydrochloride salt) are you using? *What time of day are you dosing (morning or night), and how many times per day are you dosing (once, or twice, generally). *What are you taking besides Phenibut, and what are you eating and/or drinking around the time that you take your daily Phenibut dose(s)?

The answers to all of these questions can be forwarded to me via private message here, or preferably at Oracle.Laboratories@yahoo.com.

-J. Gona
Pysychopharmacologist,

Psychotropic Treatment Specialist

Oracle Laboratories,

NeuroPsych Institute

• Informative x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#69 Oracle Laboratories

• 35 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:40 PM

niner,

All of the related esters and other analogues of the PHN013 "head-to-tail linker" referenced in that paper were synthesized by myself, in house.  All of the PK measurements were taken starting at 20 minutes after oral administration, and every 20 minutes following.  As it was expected (and hoped for) that Phenigabine would act as a pro-drug to GABA and/or Phenibut, we has to draw blood at metabolic intervals three times (once looking for the parent compound, then each predicted active metabolite), so yes, it was a lot of blood to draw and test.  I would love to duplicate the initial PK measurements and calculate the metabolite conversions on a much larger test population.  (Thankfully, I have several trusting, understanding, and eager-to-help friends).

The next avenue that we're looking into at the moment, is the feasibility of using Phenigabine via intravenous or intramuscular administration.  Although we know that some proteases do cleave the molecule at the appropriate positions to generate it's active metabolites, we really don't know how the conversions compare to oral dosing, or the logistics of using it via the intravenous route for increased bio-availability or increased rate-of-action, in humans.

Between the private or home labs of everybody that works within our team, all of the standard machinery to run those pertinent analyses are covered. (A decent part of our funding comes from analyzing the quality and composition of various compounds, coming from overseas labs). The only imaging that was done out-of-house was use of the NeuroLapus 2.0 for the EMRI Imaging of our rat brains, following Phenigabine administration, were done by a friend of mine (and co-author of the initial submission).

We tested oral absorption of several chemical salts of Phenigabine initially, such as the hydrochloride, sodium, citrate, etc.  I am looking into the solubility and absorption of others, but the hydrochloride and sodium salts work very well, and oral bio-availability of the compound in free-amino acid form is also pretty efficient.

If you would like to chat about anything in particular, I can be reached at Oracle.Laboratories@yahoo.com for the time being, until our main website is back online.

-J. Gona

Oracle Laboratories
NeuroPsych Institute

#70 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:25 AM

Hi John,

I've mailed you at http://Oracle.Laboratories@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

#71 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

So I've been taking Phenibut continuously for the last 11 days. I started with 1 gm in the morning.

The most noticeable effect I'm getting is that it's making me sleepy, just like baclofen. I can't say that I'm not getting any anxiolytic effect at all, but it's so subtle that it may as well be placebo. After some days I increased the dose to 2 gm. Didn't notice much difference other than the increased sedative effect. Right now I'm taking 1 gm in the morning with caffeine and 1 gm at night. My sleep quality has definitely improved. 

But unfortunately there's not much difference in the area which was my main reason for taking it - social anxiety.

However, I don't think I'll face any withdrawal at all even if I stop it 'Cold Turkey', which is a plus point.

May be I should try it in combination with fasoracetam, since fasoracetam is known to make phenibut more potent?

#72 MetaphasicSystems

• 112 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:01 PM

Thanks to this thread and not doing enough research I have a bunch of Baclofen that's worthless.

I just found this:

http://www.longecity...cedotal-report/

#73 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:55 PM

Oracle Laboratories, your posts in this thread indicate that you are exceptionally knowledgeable in the field of gabapentinoid pharmacology, so I wonder if you would be so kind as to broaden your comments to some other members of the gabapentinoid family.  For example, perhaps you could compare and contrast phenibut with its close structural analog gabapentin.  I too suffer from panic attacks, well controlled with amitriptyline, but with which there is a concern about long term cognitive function due to anticholinergic activity, so I plan to weigh alternatives with my doctor.  Because of the wide use of not only phenibut and baclofen but others such as gabapentin and pregabalin, I think your general insights on the relationship between phenibut and popular prescription analogs would be of interest to other readers of this thread as well as to myself.

Edited by Kinesis, 05 April 2016 - 10:07 PM.

#74 Oracle Laboratories

• 35 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:27 AM

Kinesis,

To address your questions and curiosities fully, we would likely have have to start and entirely new thread. (The content of which I am not sure would appeal to most of the posters here).  However, I will try to give a brief overview of the general similarities and differences in the general pharmacological mechanism(s)-of-action among the most commonly referenced prescription gabapentinoid compounds, and some of their effects on anxiety - either via direct effect on Voltage-Gated Calcium Channel neuro-transmission, their affinity for ionotropic and/or metabotropic GABA Receptors, and/or both.

Gabapentin (common brand name Neurontin) - Of course, this is the prototype of this class of compounds, that was first identified as having an inhibitory effect on a2o-subunit-containing Voltage-Dependent Ca+ channel neuro-transmission in certain neurons in the brain.  This inhibitory action on Voltage-Gated Calcium Channels calms the action of certain neuronal channels, and although Gabapentin has no direct binding affinity for GABA -A or GABA -B Receptors directly, in some ways it can be characterizes as a GABA modulator and/or GABA-productionn catalyst.  Chemically, Gabapentin is the neurotransmitter GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid) with the addition of a cyclic cyclohexyl ring to the GABA backbone. Pharmacologically, this appears to nullify any affinity for either the ionotropic GABA -A Receptors or the metabotropic GABA -B Receptors.  Instead, it possesses a novel mechanism-of-action that defines the gabapentinoid class of compounds - that is that it acts selectively as an inhibitor of a2o-subunit-containing Voltage-Gated Ca+ Channels in various types of neurons throughout various brain structures. (As well as within a2o Ca+ channels within nerve fibers in the spinal cord and Peripheral-Nervous-System, as well). It is this action that makes Gabapentin suitable for the treatment of certain types of neuropathic pain disorders.

Although in some circles, Gabapentin is used for the treatment of some anxiety disorders, its only real prevalent use in psychiatry (in my personal experience, using it alongside psychiatrists) is its use off-label as a mood-stabilizer (similar to the way that Lithium is used) even though its precise mechanism-of-action is distinct from that of traditional mood-stabilizing drugs.  The action by which Gabapentin exerts its mild mood-stabilizing effects is likely via the same mechanism that it effects anxiety disorders - in that Gabapentin modulates the action of glutamate decarboxylase and aminotransferase (two enzymes that are responsible for the biosynthesis of GABA).

Pregabalin (common brand name Lyrica) - A close structural analogue of Gabapentin, and another structural derivative of the endogenous neurotransmitter GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid).  Chemically, Pregabalin is also composed of the chemical backbone of GABA, with the addition of an isobutyl group (in place of the cyclohexyl group on the Gabapentin molecule), making it roughly 2.5x as potent at a2o-subunit Voltage-Gated Calcium Channel sites than Gabapentin itself.  Because of it's stronger inhibitory action at these sites, as well as its more prominent action on increasing GABA biosynthesis (via glutamate decarboxylase and aminotransferase) as well as increasing the synaptic density of the GABA transporter molecules and increasing the functional rate of GABA transport from synaptic space to pre-synaptic neurons (and vise-versa), it has been declared as a drug of potential abuse and federally scheduled as a Schedule V Drug by the US Drug Enforcement Administration.  Because of its more pronounced action on GABA biosythesis, GABA reuptake (via affecting the GABA transporter), and its increased inhibitory action on a2o-subunit Ca+ Channels, it has been proven to be considerably more effective than Gabapentin in several clinical trials evaluating its effectiveness for the treatment of anxiety disorders such as Generalized Anxiety Disorder. (Although this use is generally accompanied by the use of a Tricyclic Antidepressant or Selective-Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI)).  A recent clinical evaluation by Bandelow et al. (2007) comparing the long-term effectiveness of Pregabalin against traditional anxiolytic agents such as various benzodiazepines and drugs such as venlafaxine, concluded that Pregabalin may be as effective at treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder as these drugs are, while remaining more effective long-term compared to several benzodiazepine drugs, due to the rapid development of tolerance to benzodiazepine drugs in many subjects.  Now, these findings are encouraging at first glance, but have yet to be replicated (or displayed on a large-scale study population), and in my professional opinion - although potentially beneficial for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder with the co-administration of a serotonergic agent such as a Tricyclic Antidepressant or Selective-Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI), I do not feel that Pregabalin provides enough GABAergic activity to truly be effective at treating severe anxiety disorders, or psychophysical anxiety disorders, such as Panic Attack Disorder.

Phenibut - Although originally believed to function solely as a selective and competitive metabotropic GABA -B Receptor agonist, recent studies have revealed that in addition to Phenibut's affinity for GABA -B Receptors, it too, like Gabapentin and Pregabalin, acts as a selective a2o-subunit Voltage-Gated-Calcium Channel site inhibitor. Now, as stated in this thread, I do feel that Phenibut is over-used by many in the nootropic/"research chemical" sector online, but I do absolutely feel that it has therapeutic value as an anxiolytic drug, and I have even developed structural relatives and novel compounds based upon its structure for the treatment of anxiety disorders.  Phenibut exerts its anxioltyic action via three primary mechanisms-of-action - Firstly, because of its selective and competitive agonism of metabotropic GABA -B Receptors - Second, because of its gabapentinoid inhibitory action at a2o-subunit-containing Voltage-Gated Ca+ Channel neuro-transmission - And third, because of its action as a TAAR1 (Trace Amine-Associated Receptor 1) antagonist, which effectively antagonizes the endogenous substance B-phenethylamine. (Which is the prototype backbone structure for drugs such as amphetamine, some substituted cathinones, and some other substituted phenthylamines, which can induce anxiety).  Chemically, Phenibut is also a derivative of GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid) and consists of the GABA backbone, with the addition of a cyclic phenyl ring, which allows the GABA molecule to be lipophillic (fat-soluble) enough to permeate the Blood-Brain-Barrier - and also makes it competitively selective for the GABA -B Receptor over the GABA -A subtype, also providing the molecule with a binding affinity for the TAAR1 Receptor. (Which GABA itself does not).

Gabapentin, Pregabalin, and Phenibut are all close structural relatives, and are all chemical derivatives of GABA (Gama-Aminobutyric Acid), the differences being the addition of a cyclohexyl group on the GABA chain in the case of Gabapentin, the substitution of that cyclohexyl group for an isobutyl group in the case of Pregabalin, and the substitution of that isobutyl group with a cyclic phenyl ring in the case of Phenibut.

Baclofen - Despite having some measurable affinity for the same a2o-subunit Voltage-Gated Calcium Channel sites that the other gabapentinoid compounds listed here do, the actual affinity of Baclofen for these sites is so minute, that I consider it medically insignificant in regards to Baclofen's overall pharmacological mechanism-of-action.  Chemically, Baclofen is the exact same molecule as Phenibut (the GABA molecule with the addition of the cyclic phenyl ring) - with the only difference being the addition of a single chloride atom on the para position of the phenyl ring of Phenibut.  This very slight chemical difference has a surprisingly dramatic effect on Baclofen's overall pharmacological mechanism-of-action.  The addition of the chloride atom on Baclofen's phenyl ring dramatically shields it from the extensive first-pass metabolism in the stomach the Phenibut is subject to. (Typical doses of Phenibut are around 1000mg, whereas typical Baclofen doses are around 20mg).  The addition of the chloride atom on Baclofen's phenyl ring does not affect its selectivity for the metabotropic GABA -B Receptor, as Baclofen retains similar binding affinity and action as an agonist at GABA -B Receptor subtypes.  However, the addition of the chloride atom on Baclofen's phenyl ring does appear to significantly diminish its affinity for the a2o-subunit Voltage-Gated Ca+ Channel sites that the other gabapentinoid compounds mentioned here possess.  Additionally, the addition of the chloride atom on the phenyl ring of Baclofen appears to block all affinity for the TAAR1 (Trace Amine-Associated Receptor 1), for which Phenibut displays noteworthy affinity for, and for which Baclofen does not.  So, despite having some measurable affinity for a20-subunit Voltage-Gated Calcium Channel sites like the other gabapentinoids mentioned above, its actual action at these sites is so minute that Baclofen's only real medically noteworthy mechanism-of-action is as a highly selective and competitive metabotropic GABA -B Receptor agonist.

There are literally dozens of way to alter the GABA backbone, and there are several gabapentinoid compounds that are not currently referenced in the medical literature. (See the Wikipedia page on gabapentinoids).  These are the most commonly referenced examples of the gabapentinoid family.  If you were looking for information on one specifically that I missed, let me know, and I will try to address any questions that you may have.

Panic Disorder surely is a debilitating condition, that nobody can truly understand until they are faced with it.  I am glad to hear that you have had some success with amitriptyline. As far as a Tricyclic Antidepressant, amitriptyline is one of the most effective long-term.  There are sometimes overall cognitive declines that occur over years time with several Tricyclics, due to the antihistamine and anticholinergic properties, as well as the tendency of some to inhibit the bio-synthesis of glutamate.  However, over many of the more anticholinergic Tricyclics (like Doxepin, for example), amitriptyline is one of the best choices for long-term treatment, so long as it is well-tolerated in the patient, and the patient can cope with the side effects that often accompany treatment.  Personally, I am very disappointed with the current status of our antidepressant drugs.  We have come a long way since the days of the Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors, but many of the Tricyclic Antidepressants are not very selective, and many of our Selective-Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors don't compared all that favorable to placebo when actually put to the test in clinical trials.  If, over time, the anticholinergic effects of the amitriptyline do effect your overall cognition, two SSRI's that at least display some efficiency in treating Panic Disorder are sertraline and citalopram.

-J. Gona
Psychopharmacologist

Oracle Laboratories
NeuroPsych Institute

• Informative x 2

#75 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:00 PM

Excellent. 

Thank you!

• like x 1

#76 Killword

• 29 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:59 AM

I would advise everyone not to take medical advice from Oracle Labs, he is misrepresenting himself as a medical doctor (a psychopharmacologist is a medical doctor that has fulfilled everything necessary to become a psychiatrist and then gone on to take advanced training/education in prescribing psychotropic drugs), and provided zero evidence that he has any credentials whatsoever.  There is no record of his mysterious journal despite the fact that over 200 volumes have been published according to one of his citations that happens to be on the 32nd volume of that same journal, despite the fact that he appears to have published multiple different journals according to all the other citations that are equally undiscoverable.  He also lists patents on his site that do not exist and seem to be intentionally deceptive.  He has no business dispensing medical advice or pretending that he has any authority or expertise to make the claims he is making.

If you guys think he is knowledgeable and want his advice, ask him to cite evidence like any other user on the site.... preferably something that he hasn't conveniently written himself based on his home experiments.

• Good Point x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1

#77 Addiction is a myth

• 23 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

I really liked J Gonas contributions, some of the best information I've come across and I want to address a few issues.

First off, I don't believe addiction exists the way most understand it. The word is derived from a Latin term for slaves that were awarded to Roman soldiers as a form of wages. It sounds like conviction and eviction and our culture makes addicts in a similar way the Romans did, through legal proceedings that result in slave labor, confinement and reeducation. I believe the term used to be positive or at least neutral like habit. The temperance movement adopted it and through a campaign of brainwashing and social engineering over several decades it took on a new meaning. I also have a problem with substance abuse, you can abuse your wife, kids even your dog but a plant or chemical is not sentient and cannot feel pain.

A individual uses a substance because he or she derives a benefit from it's use. Take tobacco for instance, the smoker experiences the psychoactive effects of niacin (vitamin B-3) through a unique route of administration that perhaps allows it to pass the blood brain barrier and contains a mild MAOI. When the benefit is removed due to discontinuation he experiences withdrawel or discontinuation syndrome. The solution is for him to return to smoking. Some of the oldest people alive are heavy smokers and tobacco prevents certain forms of cancer.

In the case of Phenibut the worry a lot of us have is it will get banned, otherwise if you are benefiting from using it whats the point of stopping? If Lyrica is abruptly stops the electrical pins and needles come back, sweats, terrible sleep ETC, that's why doctors keep their patients on it. The public is so brainwashed by this permission slip "treatment" that when something comes along that falls outside of the health care bureaucracy procedures they don't know how to interpret it. Phenibut much like "bath salts" and salvia are a good experiment in what the world would look like if the war on drugs was brought to an end and you could buy heroin at wall mart next to Asprin, a whole lot of nothing. I think a lot of us worry that a couple dozen kids will get their hands on this, freak out and cause a national epidemic resulting in it becoming scheduled.

I have been eyeballing it and I'm not sure of my dose range, a 100g container lasts me about a month and I've been using it daily. I think as an add on or standalone medication for chronic pain a dose between 5-10 grams might be considered therapeutic. Phenibut might actually be better than Lyrica which thanks to intellectual property laws retails for $700 (If only the prior art stuff was applied to pharmaceuticals). We are told these prices are necessary for further research and development yet the company that makes $1 benadryl I get at the discount store manages to keep their doors open.

I am getting a wide range of effects and contrary to what others say my tolerance has decreased. I don't understand what some say about the tolerance increasing, maybe it's like alchohal, you can work your way up from 6 beers to 8, ten 12 but you probobly wont get much over 15 even if your a big guy, you will fall asleep.

So thats my 2 cents, maybe I will add more later if anyone is still following this thread.

#78 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:41 PM

Just for the record, I have never been one to be much impressed by credentials. Too often people with them have little to offer while others lacking them have turned out to have much to offer.  My interest in J Gonas' views has nothing to do with credentials, but is based solely on the content he presents.  Regardless of who he is or who he claims to be, he knows enough about what he is talking about for me to be interested in his opinions.  I sincerely appreciate the cautions raised here and the intentions behind them. I sincerely appreciate Oracle Laboratories posts as well.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#79 Oracle Laboratories

• 35 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

I do fully understand Killword's concerns.  (However some claims may be a bit misleading in this case).  I do not recommend that anybody take the word of an internet poster on a forum like this at face value.  As I always advise, if you have a particular need for one of the compounds discussed on discussions forums such as this, you should always consult your medical doctor, and when warranted, a specialist such as a psychiatrist or neurologist.  There is no way that ANY poster on a forum like this can know your entire medical history, what conditions you may suffer from, what specific medications you are taking, and what you have/have not responded to in the past.

The unfortunate reality, is that even psychiatrists complete a general four year basic medical degree and then in some cases go on to study a specialized psychiatric course.  I am not here to badmouth the mainstream medical establishment, or to imply that anybody's doctor is in-equipped to do their job, however there are some points to consider. -  The actual pharmacology courses that average psychiatrists take, are rather basic (covering general pharmacology), basic interactions, and what drug to prescribe in what situation.  I cannot tell you how many psychiatrists that I have visited with friends who insisted I accompany them, who as soon as presented with the patient's history and symptoms, go directly to there computerized PDR to look up, and suggest treatments.  I too see a psychiatrist for debilitating Panic Attack Disorder, and thankfully he is open-mined enough to realize that I would know what existing compounds available would be best for me, long before he would, and he is very cooperative.  However, he has thrown some suggestions at me before, that have absolutely frightened me.  Years ago, when I was taking Buspirone for anxiety, he recommended one of the new, atypical antidepressants Vilazodone (Viibryd) - which is a Selective-Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor that also works as an agonist at the 5-HT1a receptor (just like Buspirone) and could lead to potentially serious Serotonin Syndrome.  Voicing this concern, he assured me that there was no adverse interaction between to two, I finally persuaded him to check several drug interaction databases - all citing severe warnings by the US FDA to NOT mix these drugs.  He seemed surprised, but essentially shrugged it off.  A few weeks later, I found out from another doctor that he actually attends small-scale local medical conventions speaking on the use of Vilazodone!

Another case involved my friend's mother, who had not called him in months, missed Christmas, etc.  Weeks later, I found out that she was taking a variety of drugs - Amphetamine/Dextroamphetamine (Adderall), Bupropion (Wellbutrin), Tramadol (a synthetic opioid with serotonergic properties), and Citalopram (a Selective-Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor ("SSRI")). - This was all from the same psychiatrist. (Aside from the Tramadol).  Where do I begin?

First of all, both the Amphetamine and Buproprion increase synaptic concentrations of the catecholamine neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine and co-administration of them both can lead to seizure, cardiac arrest, stroke, etc. - Taking the Amphetamine with the SSRI Citalopram can cause the horrendously serious, and potentially fatal Serotonin Syndrome, as well as can taking the Citalopram and the Tramadol (as Tramadol has serotonergic actions). - To summarize, these are four drugs that all SERIOUSLY interact with at LEAST one of the other drugs prescribed (in this case more) by the same doctor.  I have no idea how this woman did not experience Grand Mal seizure, Serotonin Syndrome, or a hypertensive crisis leading to a severe cerebral emergency.  These medications were prescribed by the psychiatrist that she trusted.  She also used the same pharmacy regularly, and NONE of this was caught by the pharmacist that filled the prescriptions.  

I talked to this woman for about an hour over the phone, and explained all of this to her.  She has known me since I was young, and knew of my expertise.  From what I can gather from our conversation, she was most likely experiencing small Focal Seizures, Myoclonic Seizures, or (thankfully mild) Serotonin Syndrome, which had her experiencing very odd behavior, forgetting to eat, bathe, call her family during the holidays, or even leave the house for any reason, for close to three months. - Finally, I called the psychiatrist in question, and explained my extreme concerns.  Not feeling as if she did anything wrong or unethical, I them reported her to the medical ethics board, who promptly pulled her medical licence upon further review.  

Again, I have nothing against the mainstream medical association.  The only point here is that there are many medical "professionals" who should not possess driver's licenses, let alone medical licenses.  And, the VAST majority of even the very reputable and innovative doctors, including specialists such as psychiatrists, in most cases, have absolutely NO idea what drugs such as Phenibut, the racetams, most herbal extracts, compounds like Centrophenoxine, etc., etc.  There is a large enough percentage of people who simply realize that many of the mainstream psychotropic drugs are not all that effective, can carry some significant safety and tolerability profiles, and can sometimes even cause dependency.  This leads enough people to seek of experimental and nootropic compounds, which most mainstream doctors (not hearing about them in their very brief pharmacology classes in med school) will either tell you to avoid them all together, or flat out admit that they just do not know anything about them. -  This leads to me consulting with several physicians on a regular basis regarding patients who are using these substances.

Let me be very clear here, I do not possess a medical licence.  As I  have stated elsewhere, my interest is not in dispensing the existing psychotropic/neurological drugs (which in my opinion, could use a lot of work); my research interest is in developing the next generation of these compounds, attempting to produce more effective, efficient, cost-effective compounds, with an improved tolerability and safety profile compared to existing psychotropic / neurological drugs.

Now, to some of the points addressed by Killword:

What Killword is referring to as a "psychopharmacologist" is known as a Clinical Psychopharmacologist and is part of an official medical establishment, such as a hospital chain or a university medical program.  As previously stated, I am not affiliated (at least not in any official capacity) with a university, hospital chain, or government institution. I work in a private academic network of facilities geared toward uniting and vetting scientific research in the private academic sector, without all of very rigid oversight of many institutions that dictate what projects can and cannot be pursued (based on how much money it will make "the company").  Simply put, a psychopharmacologist is a researcher who studies the interaction of various chemical structures on the microbiology of neuronal systems that affect our moods, cognitive functions, and our perception of the world around us.  Simply put,  Alexander Shulgin was a psychopharmacologist in his own right.  (Ok, ok, sure, he was mostly a biochemist who relied heavily on others to examine many of his creations in-vitro and/or in-vivo.  However, that is the norm in pharmacology, even today - a researcher in question specializing primarily in biochemistry, or microbiology).  Without naming anybody outright, there are literally hundreds of independent biochemists, microbiologists, and pharmacologists who DO work in some capacity in the mainstream medical or academic sector (who also work independently on projects of special importance to them, that are typically not published via university journals) - many more than most people realize.

There is no record of his mysterious journal despite the fact that over 200 volumes have been published according to one of his citations that happens to be on the 32nd volume of that same journal, despite the fact that he appears to have published multiple different journals according to all the other citations that are equally undiscoverable.  He also lists patents on his site that do not exist and seem to be intentionally deceptive.  He has no business dispensing medical advice or pretending that he has any authority or expertise to make the claims he is making.

You are misreading the volume notations.  Anything published via Oracle's Journal of Applied and Investigational Pharmacology is grouped by project type. The second set of numbers refer to submissions (of which not all are published), and the final set of numbers refer to the edition of the manuscript accepted.  

Although some of the researchers (including myself) have published with other independent journals, our work is almost solely disseminated via NeuroPsych Laboratory Press, and our Journal of Applied and Investigational Pharmacology.  Despite what was implied, I cannot simply push whatever project I want.  Our board as a whole has to agree on the project, senior researchers have to oversea the project, and then the remainder of our peer-review board has the opportunity to thoroughly vet, and pick-apart any inconsistencies or confusing arrangement within the submission, which often requires additional research (often duplicating reference or source material, as well as the research at hand), to completely vet the claims of the research team, and the source material relied upon for data and/or methodology ideas.  (If Killword is referring to the paper that I think he is, the citing works that I was a part of were published via NeuroPsych Laboratory Press, generally via Oracle's Journal of Applied and Investigational Pharmacology.  Any other cited works should be searchable (their abstracts, at least) unless they are hiding behind paygate.

Not long ago, when our main website was still operational, web searches of project overviews and published works were very detectable.  (Obviously not as prominent as the journals found on websites such as PubChem, for example, but searchable).  I designed the original site almost single-handedly, and agreed to allow the host to upload our database on what was described to us as a new "optimized" server, that would increase storage space, bandwidth, and traffic speed.  Well, perhaps this server was a bit too new and not quite ready for the task that we entrusted in it.  We began to have problems early 2015, and several months ago it crashed, wiping everything.  Of course the host apologized, and refunded all maintenance and hosting fees, however it has still crippled us.  I am in the process on consulting with a new host, and gathering ideas based upon other sites that I like while the database is being rebuilt.  (Soon!)

Patents? I have to check the date that the main site finally went down for good, but since I was responsible for 90%+ of the maintenance on the site, I can assure you that no patents were ever listed on our website. (We are not affiliated with labs.oracle.com).  Most of our material is copyrighted, and a percentage of our methodology improvements are proprietary, and although some developments are patent pending, no compound to date has been patented for commercial use, as we believe in collecting as much data as possible on every aspect of a compound's pharmacology and pharmacokinetics before approaching governing bodies such as the FDA.  This is a logical next step for several of our projects, but so far, our developments have been strictly experimental, used only in small-scale volunteer clinical trials.

I am the absolute first person to admit that one must be cautious of the claims of internet sources (even those that many regard as reputable) - especially various YouTube videos, chemical suppliers (and the testimonials on their websites), anecdotal claims, word-of-mouth recommendations, etc.  I understand that it is often very difficult for the layperson to sift through various technical and sometimes conflicting publications regarding the pharmacology and pharmacokinetics of various substances, with even less data on the interaction(s) between multiple substances.  This is why I joined this site - not only to offer the most current and accurate scientifically vetted information and to advise members with questions on the best courses of action (based on my extensive experience), but also to collect information for my own purposes, and get a "front-row-seat" into how the members of this site are using and combining various psychotropic and nootropic substances for real world applications, which can be invaluable data for my team as far as inspiration for future projects, and it is good to be here in that regard.

As always, before making any medical decision, consult with a medical doctor and if needed, a specialist such as a psychiatrist or neurologist, just don't be surprised if some of the compounds you may reference are unknown to many doctors.  As always, do as much of your own research as possible, also.  While doctors and pharmacologists know what works in specific situations, only you truly know if you meet the criteria to constitute a particular diagnoses.

If anybody here does not wish to read my input or recommendations, I can understand that, and my feelings will not be hurt.  However, if anybody ever comes across information I have posted, that is not high standard, vetted scientific data, please feel free to bring it to my attention, and we can certainly discuss it.  I am very passionate in what I do, and I do not expect this to happen (unless I make serious typo, which sometimes does occur).  I completely stand behind the information that I provide.  Still, as always, your own research and second opinions never hurt.  

Hopefully, this can now be put to rest.  Our busy season is picking up, and there are several projects in the works that some of the more pharmacologically-savvy members of this site may enjoy once the final publications are submitted.  I may not be able to check in on the goings on here for a bit, as there is much work to be done, but I will be returning messages to those who have private messaged me or emailed us.

-J. Gona
Psychopharmacologist

Oracle Laboratories
NeuroPsych Institute

• Cheerful x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#80 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

Hello Guys,

An important update:

I had to go to a neurologist due to involuntary body jerking during sleep(my parents made me go). After an MRI, it turns out I have a small cyst in my pineal gland. Doctor wants to observe for another 3 months, if it grows then he'll think about removing it surgically, otherwise we'll leave it as it is.

He also prescribed me 2 mg of clonazepam at night for 3 months. 

My question is, does it complicate anything?

Also since pineal gland is the gland responsible for producing melatonin and modulating sleep pattern, can it be the reason for my insomnia and depression? 

Thanks,

Sarif

#81 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:31 PM

What's interesting is that when people thought that John is fake everyone was ready to tear him apart.....but when I posted a potentially life threatening situation nobody gives a damn.

How terrifying is it that these are the kind of people who wants to live forever!

• Good Point x 2

#82 DeusRisus0801

• 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:57 PM

the good die young...sorry had to do it 

#83 OrdinaryFellow

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:27 AM

Hello everyone. This thread has been extremely enlightening for me, and it has made me decide to sign up so I could contribute. I've read every English study there is to read on Phenibut and I had reached a dead end, until I discovered this thread and the information contained in it. I would like to relate to you my experiences regarding Phenibut, Baclofen, GHB, their effects when combined with various psychiatric medicines, and their interactions with stimulants. I need to note that I respond fairly uniquely to all kinds of drugs and am usually hypersensitive to their main effects and their side effects, and I have some mental illnesses that further complicate the matter. Regardless, I hope you might gain some insights from my experiences. I'll first describe factors that might muddle the picture, so you can make your own assessment as to whether my experiences are relevant for you. Skip them if you're only interested in the experiences with the compounds.

Anhedonia

Anhedonia has been a major problem for me. I've suffered from it for a long time. My anhedonia mainly manifests socially: I simply don't enjoy most social interactions, not even a little bit. Not even intereacting with my best friends gives me any joy. However, not engaging in social interactions rapidly deteriorates mental health I found out early in my life, so in order to increase my sociability, I have abused alcohol for the majority of my life. This was until I discovered Phenibut and stimulants. They both increase.sociability and they are both less harmful than alcohol (subjective statement: I can't limit my alcohol intake, but I can limit my Phenibut and stimulant intake). Lately, after a stint with psychiatric drugs (Fluoxetine, Amitryptyline, some antihistamine, and Temazepam) , my anhedonia has worsened to the point where I have both consumatory and anticipatory anhedonia, and I can't enjoy my solitary pursuits anymore. Since stopping all psychiatric medicines (Bupropion was the last one), my anhedonia has decreased.

Possible Autism

I'm currently undergoing a thorough investigation to decide if I have autism. My psychiatrist said I have autistic tendencies. Phenibut is the only compound I've encountered so far (apart from MDMA) that completely cures the autistic tendencies temporarily. It makes me very social, and I will automatically engage in social behavior without needing to mentally force it. It also massively increases empathy, to the point where I feel concerned about other people and try to imagine how what I do might make them feel, which normally doesn't happen automatically.

Anxiety

I never had anxiety, I was a completely carefree person. Until I was prescribed Temazepam 10 mg a day for 3 months straight, to help me sleep, because I reacted to a Fluoxetine treatment of 10 mg a month with becoming manic/psychotic. Within a month I started getting intermittent withdrawals every day at noon, which felt like bugs crawling under my skin, as if somebody was always standing behind me, as if I was constantly forgetting something of immense importance, as if the devil himself were on my trail. I never felt so bad in my life. I did not realize what the cause was: I was not mentally stable enough to think logically. To compensate, I increased Phenibut usage frequency to 3-4 times a week, which was a huge mistake. For now I was physically dependent on both, and even when peaking on both substances, I'd only feel negative effects. When I found out what the cause of my woes was, I instantly stopped using Temazepam and threw it away. I tapered Phenibut down over 2 weeks and then stopped. The acute withdrawal symptoms lasted 2 weeks, and consisted basically every single withdrawal symptom listed for both GABA-A and GABA-B drugs, Delusions, brief periods of psychosis, hallucinations, trembling hands, insomnia and paranoia. After that was over, the worst part started: Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. Lethargy, extreme anhedonia, severe depression, etc. I was put on Amitryptyline for a month after which things were manageable again. My psychiatrist then prescribed me Bupropion. He said Bupropion would help re-sensitize my GABA receptors.

Phenibut

So far, I've used about 600 g of Phenibut (HCl) in my life. When I first used Phenibut, it did nothing for me. This was at a dose of approximately 1 g. From that point on, I upped my dose with 0.5 g every week (I only dosed once a week or less). When I hit 4.0 g, the magic happened. Suddenly, life became worth living. I was actually looking forward to engaging in activities. I became extremely social, and I would feel awake, like really awake, for the first time in my life. It was as if I was in a slumber but Phenibut made me awake and able to enjoy life. My worries, anxieties and fears melted away. I would talk to strangers on the street, and look forward to any activity I had planned. I kept using Phenibut at doses ranging from 4.0 g to 6.0 g once every 8 days, and effects varied, but were always similar and the effect always remained strong. At doses exceeding 6.0 g, I would get psychedelic effects, closed eye hallucinations, and a weird kind of foggy nausea, which would last for a very long time. It doesn't help with sleep for me, it's too stimulating. When I do sleep on it, I get extremely realistic and long-lasting dreams. The days after use I used to feel better as well. There was an afterglow that lasted several days. I experienced zero negative effects during this period of use. After starting Bupropion, everything changed. I got no euphoric effects from Phenibut at any dose, and when dosing higher than 0.5 g I would get severe nausea and brain fog. Bupropion seemed to cancel the positive effects and greatly increase the physical side effects. Similarly, while on Bupropion alcohol only had neutral and negative effects. Bupropion would also completely negate the effects of any kind of amphetamines. Since stopping Bupropion (it made me very irritable), nothing has changed yet. My former tolerance causing me to need 4.0 g has vanished: Instead a dose of about 1.0 g will only give me neutral and negative effects which last for over 24 hours, which were either absent or unnoticeable earlier at 4-6 g doses.

GHB

I only have limited experience with GHB. I stopped after I saw what GHB did to the person I acquired GHB from: He was addicted to the stuff. He eventually descended into a psychotic delirium for which he had to be hospitalized. Before that happened to him and I ceased my use, GHB would do to me what Phenibut did, but much stronger effects and much shorter acting. There were no effects for me unless I dosed 2.0 g or higher. It feels extremely stimulating and you feel like you are about the have the best day in your life. It also increases sexual desires to a considerable degree. It has a delirious edge to it, though. It's the most addictive substance I've ever encountered. To get the euphoric effects, you need to redose constantly, every 2-3 hours. If you overdose even slightly, you either go into a 4 hour long coma or, even worse you'll become a complete incoherent delirious lunatic until you get restrained or your friends take you home. Since I don't get sleepy from it, dosing too high means that I become the latter. Therefore I've never touched the substance again, it is not something to be used therapeutically unless you have narcolepsy, which I don't. I do not recommend trying this substance at all, it is extremely dangerous and addictive. And if you're a strong responder like myself, you are instantly hooked.

Baclofen

I was shortly prescribed Baclofen. Baclofen is an extremely interesting substance. It is very similar to both GHB and phenibut. I respond very strongly to it. When on it (doses ranging from 5 mg to 20 mg), the desire to use drugs such as cigarette decreases. I'd light a cigarette, and then I'd think: "Why do I smoke? What is the point of smoking? It is bad for me." I'd put a fresh cigarette out. The hole in my soul, which causes me to crave substances, is absent when I'm on Baclofen. I read that this is similar for alcoholics: the desire to abuse alcohol simply vanishes, as if it was never there, when they titrate to their maintenance dose of Baclofen. If I dosed higher, in the 30-40 mg range, it became very similar to GHB and to Phenibut. There was marked euphoria, mania, some psychedelic effects such as color enhancement. Also side effects such as nausea and decreased motor control. At higher doses, there was also dissociation, a very dreamlike state. When dosed before sleep, Baclofen would cause extremely realistic and long-lasting dreams, but it would not help me sleep: in fact, it'd cause enough stimulation to keep me awake. I've ordered F-Phenibut to see if I have a similar response to it.

Benzodiazepines (Temazepam, oxazepam, phenazepam, etizolam, clonazolam, diclazepam)

Generally, they are very sedating and induce amnesia very quickly in me. Sometimes they cause paradoxical effects, such as stimulation and insomnia. Usually they make me tired as well: when I was on Bupropion, the bodily effects were multiplied, while any mood-enhancing effects were absent. Amnesia didn't seem to occur as rapidly. Bupropion also causes a marked decrease in both hypnotic and anxiolytic qualities. Since stopping Bupropion, Benzodiazepines have regained their former useful qualities. I can not recommend ever trying them: They are very addictive, and once you've experienced all your worries just melting away, the first thing you think about when you are worried is benzos. Combining benzodiazepines with GABA-B drugs doesn't cause any positive effects and is a nice way to end in a gutter.

Fasoracetam
Supposed GABA-B antagonist. Reduces tolerance to Phenibut, and improves mood and motivation. I use very low doses in the 5-10 mg range in the days after phenibut usage, in order to reduce possible rebound related effects. Not sure about it's effectiveness, but it's definitely a good mood enhancer, but it hasn't restored the positive Phenibut effects for me, such as increased sociability. It sometimes causes a very similar feeling to phenibut, usually after using it regularly 3-4 days in a row. This effect is not consistent. If I use this substance too regularly I get long-lasting nausea, similar to what happens when I dose too high on Phenibut.

NMDA antagonists (3-meo-pcp, MXE)

I've seen them mentioned in this thread, so I'll include my experience with them. They are very good for reducing anhedonia and anxiety. NMDA antagonists are as effective, if not more, than Benzodiazepines at reducing anxiety for me. I need lower than average doses to achieve these effects. That, combined with the amphetamine tolerance reducing effects and the hedonic effects make them excellent tools for me. They actually alleviate my cognitive deficits (brain fog, lack of motivation, no concentration) to a certain degree with low doses, which I find very strange and have no explanation for. Too bad you can't really use them therapeutically, unless you have memantine. They are too toxic for regular use. Combining them with phenibut doesn't lead to any positive interactions and I do not recommend doing it. I'm not sure if GABA-B tolerance uses the same mechanism as amphetamine or opioid tolerance.

I realize these experiences with Baclofen and Phenibut are not the norm. There seem to be strong responders and weak responders, and only strong responders experience stimulation from GABA-B drugs. Weak responders only experience sedation and physical side effects. I do not know what causes these effects. I also have an extremely high natural tolerance to GABA-B substances. Having never used them before, I required double the amounts regular users do to feel any effects. I do not know what causes this, but I think this is related to my mental health problems. Perhaps there is some kind of imbalance that causes permanently downregulated GABA-B receptors. This might explain the anhedonia. There is also an interesting interaction between all GABA-B substances and stimulants: Consuming stimulants such as Dexamphetamine prior to Phenibut enhances the Phenibut experience, consuming Dexamphetamine during phenibut cancels out the Dexamphetamine effects, doing Dexamphetamine after phenibut increases the Dexamphetamine effects. These drugs seem to affect each other's tolerance. It seems to be a very complicated mechanism, but Phenibut and amphetamines are able to reduce tolerance to one another (subjective: I've had one other person who claimed he also had this effect), but it is very dependent on timing. This might be related to the TAAR1 receptor I've seen mentioned in this thread, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to speculate about that. I myself am extremely interested in the a2o-subunit Voltage-Gated Calcium Channel sites, but it is very hard to find information online about exactly what they do. I believe they are related to anhedonia and somehow interact with the opioid system, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to substantiate these claims. I would love to hear what your opinion on this is.

#84 Oracle Laboratories

• 35 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:39 AM

OrdinaryFellow,

I received your private message, and responded - though I wish I would have read over this post before replying!  It is good to have you here, and thank you for taking the time to post such a concise and informative introductory post!

I'll be honest, you do appear to respond atypically to several of the well-established and commonly-employed psychiatric drugs.  In some cases, patients who exhibit Manic Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Schizo-effective Disorder, and Schizophrenia, who exhibit abnormalities in their monoaminergic neurotransmitter systems, such as the 5-HT (serotonin) and/or Dopaminergic system, exhibit odd reactions to certain drugs that are often well outside the normal class of side-effects for those medications.  However, it appears difficult to pinpoint a specific neuronal imbalance in your case.  You mentioned a psychiatrist bringing up autism, and this makes a lot of sense if you happen to have a condition such as Asperger's Syndrome - a mild form of autism, which affects Frontal Lobe and Parietal Lobe function and relay - which often manifests itself as deficits in the regions of the Frontal Lobe of the brain which mediate social input/output functioning, often making many patient's with Asperger's a tad "socially off", while not affecting one's ability to learn, retain, or process thought, and does not impair the patient's ability to solve problems.  Many individuals with Asperger's (and related autistic spectral disorders) are actually highly intelligent, and it is rumored (and backed by some evidence) that many of the greatest minds in history suffered from Asperger's, such as Einstein, Nikola Telsa, Alan Turing, etc.  If you examine some of the case study reports concerning Asperger's patients with various psychotropic drugs, you immediately begin to realize that many drugs with very well-established pharmacological mechanism(s)-of-action, can actually produce effects in Asperger's patient's that are very different from the typical Central-Nervous-System effects that average patients experience.  It is difficult to say whether your "Agoraphobia" (Social Anxiety) / Social Anhedonia is a unique symptom of its own, or whether it is caused by some form of autistic spectrum disorder, such as Asperger's Syndrome. - Especially being that a psychiatrist, who has actually interacted with you in person, has already suggested it, some mild form of autism would make a lot of sense, and would likely explain a lot of your symptoms/responses to various drugs.

Your experiences with Phenibut, Baclofen, and GHB are certainly eye-opening, since it appears (based on your post) that, when the dosage and frequency-of-use are controlled, they appear to be a fairly useful therapeutic target (the Orthosteric (GABA) Binding Site of the metabotropic GABA -B Receptor) for you.  Phenibut, Baclofen, and GHB all act as agonists of the Orthosteric (GABA) Binding Site (the same site at which GABA itself binds) of the metabotropic GABA -B Recept, or. (Although, GHB of course also binds to the ionotropic GHB Receptor, and Phenibut also binds to the a2o-Subunit-Containing Voltage-Gated Ca+ (Calcium) Channels (like all "gabapentinoids", such as Phenibut, Gabapentin ("Neurontin"), Pregabalin ("Lyrica"), etc), as well as to the TAAR1 (Trace Amine-Associated Receptor 1) ).  Although, since Baclofen acts almost exclusively as a competitive and highly selective GABA -B Receptor agonist, it would appear that this is the therapeutic target from which you are receiving beneficial effects from Phenibut, Baclofen, and GHB.  While typically associated with sedation, anxiolysis, anticonvulsant, and skeletal muscle-relaxant effects (GABA is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter of the Central Nervous System), the GABAergic system also has a lot to do with feedback mechanisms within neuronal systems that helps neurons to repair themselves. (The drug Zolpidem, known by the brand names Ambien and Stillnox, is a sedative GABA -A Receptor agonist, which binds at the allosteric Benzodiazepine Binding Site, is typically used for sedation, to combat insomnia.  However, this drug is also used on those that have suffered traumatic brain injury, due to physical trauma or conditions such as those following strokes.  Although in its infancy, there is preliminary research to suggest that the increase in GABAergic neuro-transmission within these damaged neuronal networks, helps to facilitate the biochemical feedback mechanisms within those neurons that allows damaged neurons to repair broken neuronal network connections).  Many of the same bio-mechanical and biochemical feedback mechanisms that are compromised in patients with some forms of autism, in the Frontal and Parietal Lobes, are often those that are damaged in individuals suffering traumatic brain injuries, and in stroke victims.  If you do indeed suffer from some mild form of autism, such as Asperger's Syndrome, or a related autistic spectral disorder, then it isn't all that surprising that some increase in GABAergic neuro-transmission appears to alleviate or eliminate some of your symptoms.

The issue arises after prolonged exposure to such compounds, when your GABA -B Receptors become down-regulated because of their constant agonism, in which cases the receptors themselves become extremely de-sensitized, requiring ever greater amounts of agonism to achieve the same effect.  Eventually, after regular, prolonged use of a GABA -B Receptor agonist such as Phenibut or Baclofen, your GABA -B Receptors will become down-regulated to the point that the endogenous GABA in your brain is no longer enough to sufficiently agonize your GABA -B Receptors, and rapid withdrawal of the agonist after prolonged, regular use causes a heightened, physical withdrawal syndrome, since your endogenous GABA is no longer sufficient to agonize the GABA -B Receptors enough to sustain the amount of GABA -B neuro-transmission that occurs while taking the GABA -B Receptor agonist in question.  When this occurs, gradual withdrawal of the GABA -B Receptor agonist drug is essential, to gradually allow the GABA -B Receptors to re up-regulate, back to their baseline sensitivity, from before the introduction of the agonist in question. -  The regular use of a GABA agonist for therapeutic purposes, is often difficult for many patients to control and titrate on their own; especially when designing/implementing a discontinuation plan.  My thoughts immediately turn to some of the GABA-based anxiolytic agents that my team and I have developed within the last few years.  Several of our phenyl-GABA derivatives, including various Phenibut analogues, as well as several compounds that produce Phenibut or related phenyl-GABA derivatives as active metabolites (such as Phenigabine and Xyloridium). - Drugs such as these, act as pro-drugs to, and produce Phenibut, Baclofen, or Fluorophenibut as active metabolites, despite retaining some GABAergic activity themselves.  

While only a summary, and not the final publication, this compound (known as Phenigabine) produces both Phenibut as an active metabolite (which of course, binds selectively and competitively to the GABA -B Receptor subtype), as well as produces GABA as an active metabolite (which of course retains a plural-potentiality for binding at both metabotropic GABA -B Receptors, as well as ionotropic GABA -A Receptors:

The following is the cover-page of a publication concerning Xyloridium.  Although the full PDF of this study has not yet been published, this page contains a structural diagram, as well as the study's abstract.  This compound produces both Baclofen (which functions as a selective and competitive GABA -B agonist) as an active metabolite, as well as Fluorophenibut (which functions both as a metabotropic GABA -B Receptor Agonist, as well as an ionotropic GABA -A Receptor agonist): http://oraclelaborat...m - PREVIEW.pdf

While using instant-release formulated oral doses of Phenibut, Baclofen, or GHB, dosage levels can fluctuate fairly dramatically - based on how long ago the last dose was taken - whereas, with some of our pro-drugs, such as Phenigabine and Xyloridium, daily doses produce active metabolites all day long, so that blood-plasma-concentrations of the active drugs are more consistent - making daily dosing easier and more practical, with less chance of physical dependence occurring, and with such pro-drugs possessing much less "abuse potential" than standard, instant-release, oral formulations of the drugs themselves.  Many of the phenyl-GABA-derivative pro-drugs that my team and I have produced are much less likely to be misused, compared to compounds like Phenibut, Baclofen, and/or GHB itself.  Of course, the major drawback at the moment, is that drugs like our Phenigabine and Xyloridium are experimental research compounds, that are not yet approved for human use outside of our pre-clinical and clinical trials.  Some users of this site do participate in "group buys" for various experimental psychotropic compounds in the research chemical sector; usually from Chinese or overseas laboratories.  However, it is against our policy to produce batches of unapproved, experimental research compounds for human use (aside from occasionally sending batches of our compounds to other laboratories for in-vitro and/or in-vivo analyses).  We are moving forward with further trials on several such anxiolytic compounds, so it is my hope that some may be available in the near future.

Your experience(s) regarding Bupropion is pretty interesting to me, since Bupropion tends to be a fairly well-tolerated drug, and from what I can gather from your post, some Catecholamine (Dopamine/Norepinephrine) Releasing-Agent (ie., Dextroamphetamine) appear to have beneficial effects on you, while the Dopamine/Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor Bupropion seems to have detrimental effects on your overall mood and cognition.  Although drugs like Dextroamphetamine and Bupropion do possess distinct pharmacological mechanism(s)-of-action (one acts as a releasing-agent of pre-synaptic Dopamine and Norepinephrine, while the other inhibits the neuronal reuptake of Dopamine and Norepinephrine back into the pre-synaptic neuron), they both act to increase synaptic concentrations of the catecholamine neurotransmitters (Epinephrine, Norepinephrine, and Dopamine).

Bupropion is a Dopamine/Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor, essentially possessing the same mechanism-of-action as drugs like cocaine and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta), although acting to a much lesser degree - increasing synaptic concentrations of Dopamine and Norepinephrine much more gradually (which is why Bupropion is not scheduled as a controlled substance like drugs like cocaine and methylphenidate are).

I am curious if you have ever tried a typical, rapid-acting Dopamine/Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor such as cocaine or Methylphenidate (name brands Ritalin, Concerta), or even research chemical drugs like Methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV).  (I only mention those, since you brought up another rather obscure research chemical (3-MeO-PCP).  If so, what was your general impression?  Were the effects overall beneficial or detrimental to your mood?

While both Dextroamphetamine and Bupropion increase the synaptic concentrations of the catecholamine neurotransmitters dopamine and nor epinephrine, they do so in very difference ways.  Neurons in the brain are separated by spaces, called synapses. The various neuronal system pathways within a neuron send chemical messengers (in the form of neurotransmitters) across the synapses, to the next neuron. Amphetamines function as Catecholamine-Releasing Agents, which mimic the endogenous, intermediate neurotransmitter B-phenethylamine, and act as agonists at the TAAR1 (Trace Amine-Associated Receptor 1) Receptor, which causes a large release of Dopamine and Norepinephrine from their pre-synaptic vesicles on neurons, into the synaptic space, where they then bind to their subsequent receptor types on the next, post-synaptic neuron.

In contrast, Dopamine/Norepineprine Reuptake Inhibitors do not affect the neuronal release of the catecholamine neurotransmitters; instead; they bind to, and disable, the Dopamine (DAT) and Norepinephrine (NET) Transporter Molecules, which inhibits the process of synaptic reuptake.  When a given neuron releases too much of a particular neurotransmitter into the synaptic space, that neurotransmitter’s transporter molecule attaches to the excess neurotransmitter, and carries it back to the pre-synaptic neuron that released it. - This process is called reuptake.  Reuptake Inhibitor drugs target a given neurotransmitter’s transporter molecule and disables it, causing neurotransmitter levels in the synaptic cleft to reach very high levels - essentially causing a flood of said neurotransmitter from one neuron to another, by blocking the reuptake of excess amounts of that neurotransmitter that accumulates in the synaptic cleft.

The specific mechanism(s)-of-action are distinct, however both actions (that of Amphetamine and Bupropion) increase synaptic concentrations of the catecholamine neurotransmitters Dopamine and Norepinephrine. - I know many individuals who do know notice much of a difference between the subjective effects of Methylphenidate and Dextroamphetamine, for example. - Both are stimulatory, and both function by increasing synaptic concentrations of Dopamine and Norepinephrine.  (However, Methylphenidate does so by acting as a Doapmine/Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor, and Dextroamphetamine does so by acting as a TAAR1 Receptor agonist and thus a Dopamine/Norepinephrine Releasing-Agent.  Personally, I do notice a significant difference, since I suffer from Panic Disorder and for whatever reason, the catecholamine reuptake inhibitors (such as cocaine and Methylphenidate) make me very anxious and irritable.  I much prefer the TAAR1 agonist Dopamine/Norepinephrine Releasing agents, such as Dextroamphetamine, which provide euphoria and clean stimulation, without nearly as much Epinephrine/Norepinephrine-induced anxiety.  In addition to this, I am generally able to articulate and distinguish between the effects of different compounds better than most due to sheer experience. - Being a ‘psychonaut”, I am generally the first human being to try most of the compounds developed by my team - after some general in-vitro analysis to determine what should be the relative safety of the compound.

You seem to react adversely to Bupropion, although this may not necessarily be due to its action as a Dopamine/Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor, and may be due to one of its other mechanism(s)-of-action.  Most drugs have various targets within the human Central Nervous System.  Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA or “Ecstasy”), for example, possesses around 18 distinct pharmacological targets within the human brain, yet we only associate the general psychoactive effects of MDMA to two particular targets.  I am curious if you have ever experienced any other Dopamine/Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors, such as cocaine, Methylphenidate, MDPV, etc., and how those substances affected you. (This is something to note, since one of the most effective treatments for Anhedonia is the use of a “Triple Reuptake Inhibitor”, that affects the synaptic concentrations of Serotonin, Dopamine, and Norepinephrine).

Also, could you elaborate a bit on the general subjective effects of Dextroamphetamine on your overall mood and daily function?  You mention the concomitant use of GABA -B Receptor agonists and Dextromamphetamine, however, in order to best recommend treatment options, I am most interested in the subjective effect that say low - moderate dose Dextroamphetamine has on your overall mood, outlook on life, productivity, Anhedonia, etc.  Could you compared and contrast being on nothing (completely “clean and sober”) versus being on a typical therapeutic dose of racemic Amphetamine or Dextroamphetamine, for example.

Aside from that, it would help to recommend treatment options for you, if you provide a detailed overview of your average day, without being on any psychoactive substance. - Essentially an overview of a day in the life of yourself (minus any drugs).  (You could always send me this information in a private message, if you’d prefer). Also, what is the extent of the pharmaceutical psychiatric drugs that you have tried?  You mentioned having an unpleasant time on Bupropion, and some degree of relief on Amitriptylline.  In addition to amitriptylline, have you been on any other Tricyclic Antidepressants?  How about Selective-Serotonin-Reuptake Inhibitors, such as Fluoxetine (Prozac), Paroxetine (Paxil), Sertraline (Zoloft), Citalopram (Celexa), etc.?  What about atypical serotonergic antidepressants such as Mirtazepine (Remeron), Vortioxetine (Brintellix/Trintellix), Vilazodone (Viibryd), etc?  How about Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI Antidepressants)?  Dopamine and/or Serotonin antagonist antipsychotic?  Etc.?  Are you currently taking any prescription psychiatric drugs, and if so, how do you think they are working for you?  What is an accurate picture of all of the compounds (prescription and otherwise) that you are currently taking, at what doses, and how often?

Sorry to bombard you with a ton of questions, however, in order to get an idea of what is going on in your brain in particular, regarding specific neurochemistry - to the point that I may recommend options for the treatment of your various symptoms, I would really have to know how you are while completely drug-free, what you have tried in the past, and what reactions you have had to as many compounds as you can think of.

-J. Gona
 Psychopharmacologist

Oracle Laboratories
NeuroPsych Institute

Edited by Oracle Laboratories, 10 December 2016 - 12:40 AM.

• WellResearched x 1

#85 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:00 AM

Quickly and succinctly Phenibut use has allowed me to cut benzo use in half.  I've experienced no tolerance past the initial days dose, which was extremely euphoric.

i find Phenibut to be extremely nootropic as a person with autistic traits, and most likely on the spectrum.  I've had neurologists tell me people on the spectrum often fall into two categories when it comes to drug tolerance 1) A little has a huge effect 2) Takes a boatload.  I fall into the second category and have had not withdrawals from drugs like Pristiq, and all the Ssri's ineffectually prescribed for anxiety.

For me, the anxiolytic, non-sedating effect of phenibut, is nearly a life saver.  I rotate months where I take it daily at 1 gram to 1.5 grams a day, with months I take it only twice a week.

If I have to stay on my whole life, I find that vastly better than Clonazepam at doses over 2 mg per day.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#86 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:03 AM

Last thing.  I don't remotely get "high" in anyway from it.  The first dose was like the most massive runners high ever.  After than...nothing but social anxiety obliterated.

If I take a new brand and take too much I am slightly more disinhibited.  That's it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phenibut, baclofen, troll, fake character, manipulation ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users