• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

It's well known that MAOA polymprphisms are associated with aggressiveness:

https://en.wikipedia...amine_oxidase_A

In individuals with the low activity MAOA gene, when faced with social exclusion or ostracism showed higher levels of aggression than individuals with the high activity MAOA gene.[41] Low activity MAO-A could significantly predict aggressive behaviour in a high provocation situation, but was less associated with aggression in a low provocation situation. Individuals with the low activity variant of the MAOA gene were just as likely as participants with the high activity variant to retaliate when the loss was small. However, they were more likely to retaliate and with greater force when the loss was large.[42]

“Monoamine oxidases (MAOs) are enzymes that are involved in the breakdown of neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine and are, therefore, capable of influencing feelings, mood, and behaviour of individuals”.[43] According to this, if there was a mutation to the gene that is involved in the process of promoting or inhibiting MAO enzymes, it could affect a person’s personality or behaviour and could therefore make them more prone to aggression. A deficiency in the MAOA gene has shown higher levels of aggression in males, which could further stimulate more research into this controversial topic. “A deficiency in monoamine oxidase A (MAO-A) has been shown to be associated with aggressive behaviour in men of a Dutch family”.[44]

i have the 23&me results for my all immediate family. sure enough, the low activity MAOA persons (per Rs909525 and ) do have short temper indeed. Now, the high activity predisposes to depression and anxiety, and sure enough my family results confirm that. While i understand the depression part (low monoamines), how exactly high activity of MAOA predisposes to anxiety?

Thanks!

#2 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:33 AM

i'm thinking now it must be too low serotonin. i see that no one cares.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 GiGi

• 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:37 PM

I'm homozygous for MaoA and MaoB. High anxiety since early childhood, depression issues starting in adolescence, not an aggressive person. I've had a tough time finding literature, just a couple of Ben Lynch videos advising lithium orotate combined with P5P for Mao issues. P5P does seem to help, lithium orotate made me spacey. Would love to know more about it though.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

I'm homozygous for MaoA and MaoB. High anxiety since early childhood, depression issues starting in adolescence, not an aggressive person. I've had a tough time finding literature, just a couple of Ben Lynch videos advising lithium orotate combined with P5P for Mao issues. P5P does seem to help, lithium orotate made me spacey. Would love to know more about it though.

sorry, i just noticed the post. are you homozygous for low of high activity? what specific SNPs?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maoa, aggresiveness, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users