multivitamin

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:26 AM

Unfortunately there are no ideal multis... most of the ones mentioned in this thread are massively overdosed. The best one available now is Pure Encapsulations O.N.E. The forms and ratios are as close to ideal as is available right now.
  • Disagree x 1

#32 Hyperflux

• 122 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

I've been having success with Legion Triump, it has most of everything that is needed. I just take some extra D3 and K2 on occasion. 

• Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 vasra

• 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

This is a contentious topic and the answer would probably depend on one's age, metabolism genetics, life-style factors (sleep, work, exercise, exposures, etc) and special requirements, if any (like pregnancy, or certain chronic disease states, etc).

Also, there is still so much about individual variability that we do not know -- so the proof is in the eating of the pudding : you need to try out things on yourself, under hopefully semi-controlled conditions and doing before and after comparisons.

This means leaving out supplements, eating your normal diet that you can maintain steadily, getting blood results and marking up your daily energy, sleep, time-to-exhaustion, mental focus, retention and other variables (subjective measures - although you can do tests too).

Then taking the multivitamin and checking your immediate, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month and 6 month reactions.

And measuring your blood test results again (which can be tricky, because for example, if you measure your magnesium level, the plasma levels are next to useless and you need to measure intra-cellular levels, which is a specialty test and costs quite a lot in many parts of the world outside the US).

With all that said, here are my current rough top 3:

Garden Of Life Vitamin Code For Men (or the women's version for women)

https://labdoor.com/...in-code-for-men

- expensive per dose

MegaFood Women Over 40, One Daily (or the men's version for men)

https://labdoor.com/...er-40-one-daily

- lots of yeast based derivatives, some people may be hyper-sensitive to these, even after purification

Life Extension Two-Per-Day Multivitamin

https://labdoor.com/...ivitamin/report

- cost effective (relatively)

- I'd only take one a day of these myself, YMMV

Products that I ruled out myself:

NOW Foods Adam Men's Multivitamin (folates as folic acid, ok if you know your SNIPS and can do the conversion)

The Synergy Company, Vita·Min·Herb, Multi for Men (very expensive, claims food course, but is misleading, adaptogens not always suitable to all)

Garden of Life, Vitamin Code, 50 & Wiser Men (S. boulardii and L. plantarum not agreaable with all guts, i.e. constipation risk)

Personally I've had good results with my sensitive digestion with the first three mentioned, usually at 1/2 the dose. It's enough for me, and taking too much vitamin Bs just gives me odd mental reactions (and based on my SNIPs, this is actually to be expected).

I have also tried AOR Ortho-Core, but it just made my stomach hurt intensely (with or without food, even at 1/3 of the dose), so I just had to rule that out for myself.

In the end, I don't think anyone can multivitamin out of a bad diet. Diet and good digestion come first. Multivitamin is an addition or a boost, depending on many factors. I've come to this conclusion for myself, after 25+ years of experimentation on myself.

YMMV, naturally.

• Informative x 1

#34 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

I would avoid multi-vitamins, they're time and again proven ineffective for various reasons. It's better to just do your 23 and me test, look at what you may have trouble converting from foods, take your diet into consideration and estimate how much of a particular micronutrient you may be getting, how much time you spend in sunlight, how much this or that you get and go from there. Most of the multivitamins are an insufficient one size fits all formulation that really doesn't fit anyone and may contain things that you not only don't need but could be getting too much of. B-12 is commonly taken in excess. In my case my doctor looked at my blood results and said cut down on the B-12. I looked and it was really high.

For most people, taking 4k D3 and K is good, especially if you have trouble converting to 25-HVD and don't get out in the sun a lot (which in the case of skin photoaging is probably a good thing). Multivitamins contain a poor amount of vitamin D and a shitty kind of magnesium and usually contain some of the worst quality micronutrients in general.

Take what you need separately, pick and choose. Not everyone can eat a micronutrient smoothie full of the best veggies and fruits every single day and not everyone is home all the time or outside a lot. These things are never considered when people just go buy vitamins.

This is one of my favorite YouTubers because he's informative and doesn't seem all that biased in any direction about things, he basically makes the same point I am. 

All this said, people above have been recommending some good brands and there are indeed some companies that are better than others in terms of quality. Check labdoor.com, they're a good source.

Edited by Nate-2004, 02 August 2017 - 08:50 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#35 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

I am looking for a new multi, seeing that LEF two per day capsules give me nasty hiccups (I find that even the bottle smells nasty TBH, had a similar thought about Multibasics 3 where I suspected the choline). As I take separate D3, MG citrate and K2 it does not need to be something exceedingly special, just decent forms in a reasonable dose (and happy to reduce to one pill per day if it is supposed to be multiple) and without iron/choline.

Would LEF Tablets be a better option (still has choline though) or something else altogether?

FWIW 35y old male in good physical shape on reasonable diet.

Edited by nupi, 07 October 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#36 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

orange triad + greens  , google that.

Edited by farshad, 10 October 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#37 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:26 AM

I like LEF Life Extension Mix and Health Booster. Together they’re really one supplement in two parts, with the ingredients that work best in liquid form put separately in a soft gel cap. I’ve been taking this combo for over twenty years at half the label dosage (due to what I consider excessive potencies of some of the B vitamins) and have yet to find anything better. I especially like the botanical extracts (berries, green tea etc).
  • Agree x 1

#38 bariotako

• 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

I would avoid multi-vitamins, they're time and again proven ineffective for various reasons. It's better to just do your 23 and me test, look at what you may have trouble converting from foods, take your diet into consideration and estimate how much of a particular micronutrient you may be getting, how much time you spend in sunlight, how much this or that you get and go from there. Most of the multivitamins are an insufficient one size fits all formulation that really doesn't fit anyone and may contain things that you not only don't need but could be getting too much of. B-12 is commonly taken in excess. In my case my doctor looked at my blood results and said cut down on the B-12. I looked and it was really high.

For most people, taking 4k D3 and K is good, especially if you have trouble converting to 25-HVD and don't get out in the sun a lot (which in the case of skin photoaging is probably a good thing). Multivitamins contain a poor amount of vitamin D and a shitty kind of magnesium and usually contain some of the worst quality micronutrients in general.

Take what you need separately, pick and choose. Not everyone can eat a micronutrient smoothie full of the best veggies and fruits every single day and not everyone is home all the time or outside a lot. These things are never considered when people just go buy vitamins.

This is one of my favorite YouTubers because he's informative and doesn't seem all that biased in any direction about things, he basically makes the same point I am. 

All this said, people above have been recommending some good brands and there are indeed some companies that are better than others in terms of quality. Check labdoor.com, they're a good source.

This guy is a troll ?   can a moderator ban him please ?

• Disagree x 3
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#39 brosci

• 269 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:37 AM

Recently, I tried out a bag of the Athletic Greens supplement in place of my typical B vitamin / methyl donor stack.  Eating a whole foods, high fat diet, and often practicing high amounts of IF (upwards of 20-22hrs/d) or light CR & calorie cycling, I do feel like there's potential for my micros to get off if I don't watch it.  (eg. for a minute, I was craving a lot of nuts and cacao and eating at a bit of a deficit, where to some degree, I was eating anti-nutrient rich foods when I wasn't eating zero-nutrient foods / fasting.)  I've been meaning to get D3 for the past couple months (while getting minimal UVB light), where I do like the idea of hedging my diet with a micro rich supplement from time to time, despite striving to get most nutrients from food, in hopes that it could help to balance things out, particularly following after times of nutrient scarcity.

Anyway, I really liked the vibe of the supplement.  Unexpectedly, it seemed to have a light appetite suppressing effect, while improving my mood.  There's definitely some potential for use with improving body composition, when stacked over everything else. I'd rate it as being overpriced, but effective.  Also surprising, was that it tasted like vanilla grass, in a good way.  I'm now back on a handful of mostly non-essential, but beneficial supplements (eg. PQQ, ALCAR, CoQ10, TMG)

Edited by brosci, 12 March 2018 - 06:41 AM.

#40 GreenmachineX

• 77 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

I’m in the process of figuring out which multi is best for me, as I’ve become deficient in folate before. All of these high powered methyl multis give me excess stimulation and middle of the night insomnia and bruxism, but if I don’t take anything I’m extremely lethargic. I’m negative for the C677T and A1298C mutations, so maybe I don’t even need to be messing with the Methyl multis. The Paradise Herbs Earth Blend looks good but I wish it had methylfolate instead of folinic acid as I’m pretty sure folinic acid has given me strange periods of difficulty breathing in the past.

#41 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:53 PM

I would avoid multi-vitamins, they're time and again proven ineffective for various reasons. It's better to just do your 23 and me test, look at what you may have trouble converting from foods, take your diet into consideration and estimate how much of a particular micronutrient you may be getting, how much time you spend in sunlight, how much this or that you get and go from there.

With chronic conditions and high needs to get out of deficiency I have to disagree with such sweeping generalizations. One can well do without a 23andme's probable risk-increases, but better monitors it with comprehensive lab-testing. Cronometer and estimating time in sun got it completely wrong compared to lab-results. And then comprehensive supplementation proved effective with even usually considered non-reversible diseases (https://www.longecit...nal-remissions/).

In this other post at an other forum describe what I think the essentials in covering basics, once health has already deteriorated. Specific conditions again need specific nutrients in much higher doses. Though the examples given are specific for the EU (where it's much more difficult to find good quality at a reasonable price), most products are originally from the US and more easy available there.

Became a death link. Copied it to Longecity some time ago: https://www.longecit...-mineral-stack/

Edited by pamojja, 19 June 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#42 calm--

• 127 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:33 PM

what do you guys think about naturelo one daily multivitamin : https://www.amazon.c...s=naturelo&th=1

#43 Jesuisfort

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

I Have a lot off defiency that were fixed by a multivitamin,   for me multivitamin are not useless 

The best multivitamin for me is two per day from life extension

Edited by Jesuisfort, 26 June 2018 - 03:27 PM.

#44 GreenmachineX

• 77 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

what do you guys think about naturelo one daily multivitamin : https://www.amazon.c...s=naturelo&th=1

I was wondering this too...

Attached Files

#45 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:28 PM

I was wondering this too...

Would help if one read the whole thread from the beginning. However, here the post from the last page which talks about the faults of 'whole food multies': https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=798347

#46 calm--

• 127 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

Would help if one read the whole thread from the beginning. However, here the post from the last page which talks about the faults of 'whole food multies': https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=798347

i'm interested in that product not because of the word "natural" or "whole-food", but because it seems to use good forms (folate, methylcobalamin, p5p) and it doesn't use fillers (maltodextrin, magnesium stearate). But I've very limited understanding so please correct me if i'm wrong.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#47 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

i'm interested in that product not because of the word "natural" or "whole-food", but because it seems to use good forms (folate, methylcobalamin, p5p) and it doesn't use fillers (maltodextrin, magnesium stearate). But I've very limited understanding so please correct me if i'm wrong.

Many inexpensive brands also use synthetically produced benfotiamin, methylfolate, methylcobalamin and P5P, without that fraudulent use of the label 'natural'. And if such a deception is clearly present even in the 'supplement facts' ingredients, I personally have no faith in the remaining 'facts' being accurate.

Edited by pamojja, 27 June 2018 - 01:24 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multivitamin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users