• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

- - - - -

Can anyone recommend a low-dose B-complex?

multivitamin energy nutrition cofactor daily motivation diet food mood proportion

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Lurker

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:38 AM

By low dose I mean that each individual B-vitamin is provided somewhere between 100% and 300% of the RDA or DV rather than a whopping 5000%.

For example, Doctor's Best Fully Active B-Complex has all the preferred forms (Methylfolate instead of Folic acid, Methylcobalamin instead of cyanocobalamin, niacinamide & nicotinic acid, P5P, and Riboflavin & R5P) but each of the the dosages are around 2000% to 5000%, with B12 being the highest at 41,670%. (Methlyfolate, provided at exactly 100% DV of Dietary Folate Equivalents is the only exception).

This goes for Life Extension's BioActive B-complex, Jarrow's B-right, and most others.

Has anyone found a B-complex (preferably with active form B-vitamins) with more moderate doses? If recommending a brand is against the forum rules, maybe you can send me a private message instead?

Any help is appreciated!

On a side note: There is a school of thought that RDA's and DV's are wildly underestimated and that they are only designed to prevent symptoms of severe vitamin deficiencies. This may have some truth to it, but is that really the logic behind providing these IMO absurd amounts?? Or is it more likely because supplement manufacturers find it easier to weigh out B-vitamins in discrete milligram amounts and think we'll just pee out the rest? For example, 1.3mg of Riboflavin is 100% RDA but 10mg, which is 769.23%, is easier to weigh and encapsulate. The trend seems to be that the weights are usually "simple" numbers (20mg, 30mg, 75mg, 100mg, 6000mcg, 1000mcg) rather than the DV's which tend to be "irregular" looking numbers (41,670%, 2,940%, 310%).

Edited by Furniture, 02 February 2019 - 12:39 AM.

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:27 AM

I had to scour the countryside to find a low dose B-Complex.  

Rite Aid has a "B-Complex with Vitamin B-12" that may be just what you're looking for.  

https://www.riteaid....-250-ct-0343960

3mg B-1 (200%), 3mg B-2 (176%), 20mg Niacin (100%, 2mg B-6 (100%, 6mcg B-12 100%) & 10mg Pantothenic acid (100%).  

NO Folic acid.  

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:54 AM

I had to scour the countryside to find a low dose B-Complex.  

Rite Aid has a "B-Complex with Vitamin B-12" that may be just what you're looking for.  

https://www.riteaid....-250-ct-0343960

3mg B-1 (200%), 3mg B-2 (176%), 20mg Niacin (100%, 2mg B-6 (100%, 6mcg B-12 100%) & 10mg Pantothenic acid (100%).  

NO Folic acid.  

Just what I was looking for!

Though, I'm a bit surprising that Rite-Aid, out of all the supplement brands, is the only one you found to fit this bill

I like that there is no Folic Acid but I would prefer B3 to be in the form of Nicotinic Acid. I'm afraid of Niacinamide's potential to inhibit SIRT1.

Thanks for the tip!

If I find one myself, I'll post here

#4 coinperson

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

My favorite because it uses great forms of B (P5P and Methycobalamin for example).  Folate is not from folic acid, but from Methylfolate.  Niacin is in the form of niacinamide.

https://www.naturelo...duct/b-complex/

#5 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:07 PM

My favorite because it uses great forms of B (P5P and Methycobalamin for example).  Folate is not from folic acid, but from Methylfolate.  Niacin is in the form of niacinamide.

https://www.naturelo...duct/b-complex/

Very neat.

Where does it say niacinamide? I just see Niacin listed

Plus for including Benfotiamine over Thiamine HCL. I rarely see that.

For the most part, these proportions are much more sensible. (But I still don't see why Biotin and B12 need to be 1000%?)

Also, calling this Plant-Based is a bit disingenuous IMO. The B-vitamins may not be animal-derived, but most certainly they've been at least partially chemically synthesized (especially the active ones). And the 210mg of added organic fruits is cute but they're not extracts, so this is a minuscule addition of nutrients. Better to eat whole fruits & veggies and take this.

Otherwise, that's a solid B-complex. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by Furniture, 02 February 2019 - 05:47 PM.

#6 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:10 AM

no offense, but i think you are being stupid. you can get much better quality b complex with higher amount of b's and split capsule in 2 or even 3 takes instead of buying lower amount of b's thats much worse quality and take just one. not only are you saving money on good quality b's by splitting them and get less quantity, but of course the quality will work for you long term too. for example, i got b-complex jarrow which uses huge amounts as most of them do, but i just split the capsules to 2 parts and sometimes even 3 if i thought i didnt need it as much. its not difficult like tablets, capsules are easy to split the powder inside. cant see the problem honestly

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:41 AM

no offense, but i think you are being stupid. you can get much better quality b complex with higher amount of b's and split capsule in 2 or even 3 takes instead of buying lower amount of b's thats much worse quality and take just one. not only are you saving money on good quality b's by splitting them and get less quantity, but of course the quality will work for you long term too. for example, i got b-complex jarrow which uses huge amounts as most of them do, but i just split the capsules to 2 parts and sometimes even 3 if i thought i didnt need it as much. its not difficult like tablets, capsules are easy to split the powder inside. cant see the problem honestly

Are you referring to Jarrow's B-Right? Splitting those capsules into thirds would supply only 1/3rd of your daily needs of Folate but would still give you 693% DV Thiamin, 1390% DV MethylB12, 666% B5, and so on. I have no problem splitting the contents of a capsule in order to save money, but the issue is balance too, the amounts of individual B-vitamins aren't usually balanced enough to do that.

#8 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:52 PM

uhm there is no absolute balance. if you try to get all your b vitamins through diet you will always get more of some and less than others and so on. same with minerals. and minerals can interfere with each other so in reality im not sure its possible to get absolute balance at all times. me personaly, i just take few b vitamins that i believe i need and the rest i get through diet or whatever. i dont think you need and get the exact balance of all of them at all times. if you check some of the lab reports on various supplements, the labels are never absolutely accurate too. even if you think you got the most balanced b vitamins supplement, the label might not be accurate and you still cant believe in what it says. after all, nobody really controls the supplement industry, FDA just doesnt give a shit

#9 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:19 PM

uhm there is no absolute balance. if you try to get all your b vitamins through diet you will always get more of some and less than others and so on. same with minerals. and minerals can interfere with each other so in reality im not sure its possible to get absolute balance at all times. me personaly, i just take few b vitamins that i believe i need and the rest i get through diet or whatever. i dont think you need and get the exact balance of all of them at all times. if you check some of the lab reports on various supplements, the labels are never absolutely accurate too. even if you think you got the most balanced b vitamins supplement, the label might not be accurate and you still cant believe in what it says. after all, nobody really controls the supplement industry, FDA just doesnt give a shit

To clarify, I'm not looking for an absolutely perfect balance, just more balanced than the ratios that most B-complex's have.  The B-complex that coinperson recommended is within that range and I will be trying that. 

#10 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:21 PM

yeah i saw that one too but it looks like bad quality supplement. as i said before, just buy one with capsules and split them if you want. save money, but also get better quality supplement with much better reviews from a known brand etc. but its up to you whatever you decide :)

#11 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:33 PM

yeah i saw that one too but it looks like bad quality supplement. as i said before, just buy one with capsules and split them if you want. save money, but also get better quality supplement with much better reviews from a known brand etc. but its up to you whatever you decide :)

Can you elaborate why it is a bad quality supplement?

#12 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:49 AM

its some unheard of company for one. just the design overall, something smells fishy. you should check lab testing on it and maybe im wrong

#13 CedarWind

• 19 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:00 PM

I'd recommend you take a good multivitamin instead, like Thorne Extra Nutrients and take 1 capsule, which is 1/8th their suggested daily serving

#14 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:04 AM

I've been taking B-minus by Seeking Health:

Thiamin 25 mg

Riboflavin-5-phosphate (B2) 20 mg

Niacin 25 mg

Inositol Hexanicotinate 25 mg

Pyridoxal-5-phosphate (B6) 20 mg

Biotin 500 mcg

Calcium panthothenate 150 mg

The "minus" part of the name is due to no Folic Acid or B12 -- which I like because I take them separately.

https://www.seekingh...us-100-capsules

#15 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 04:21 AM

hmm interesting they removed those two when they could have just added the active part of folate and the methyl version of b12. anyway, i guess it probably costs extra for this

#16 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

hmm interesting they removed those two when they could have just added the active part of folate and the methyl version of b12. anyway, i guess it probably costs extra for this

Part of the idea behind Ben Lynch's (the guy behind Seeking Health) formulation is that some people are sensitive to Methylfolate and/or Methyl-B12 and can't take them, and others need higher or lower or variable doses. For B12, some people also do better with one of the other forms: Hydroxo, Cyano, or Adenosyl. So, give those people a choice where they can get the other B-vits in one cap. Has worked well for me in that regard.

I took Jarrow B-Right for years, and expect to eventually go back to it.

#17 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2019 - 01:42 PM

Are you referring to Jarrow's B-Right? Splitting those capsules into thirds would supply only 1/3rd of your daily needs of Folate but would still give you 693% DV Thiamin, 1390% DV MethylB12, 666% B5, and so on. I have no problem splitting the contents of a capsule in order to save money, but the issue is balance too, the amounts of individual B-vitamins aren't usually balanced enough to do that.

I hate to be the guy that says a fillet of mackerel would give you a similar amount of B12. I'll give you high dose B1 and B5, maybe that's a concern, but saying high doses of B12 is bad would mean fish and seafood is bad, which I'm pretty sure smart people realise isn't true.

Edited by Skyguy2005, 20 February 2019 - 01:43 PM.

#18 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:59 PM

actually i dont think fish can be considered healthy food now days. its confirmed its full of toxins, heavy metals, microplastics and even radiation if you caught it near japan

#19 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2021 - 01:19 AM

do all vitamins have active forms they are converted into? I heard low dose b vitamins are absorbed better than higher.

#20 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:04 AM

do all vitamins have active forms they are converted into? I heard low dose b vitamins are absorbed better than higher.

Let's see. B1 (benfotiamine), B2 (riboflavin-5-phosphate), B3 (NAD or NMN variants), B6 (P-5-P), B12 (methylcobalamin), and Folate (methylfolate) all have active forms. Not sure offhand about B5 and the "almost B" vitamins like Inositol.

Low dose isn't always better, but then neither is high dose. Optimal dose and optimal form depend heavily on your individual genetics and biochemistry.

#21 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:40 AM

Let's see. B1 (benfotiamine), B2 (riboflavin-5-phosphate), B3 (NAD or NMN variants), B6 (P-5-P), B12 (methylcobalamin), and Folate (methylfolate) all have active forms. Not sure offhand about B5 and the "almost B" vitamins like Inositol.

Low dose isn't always better, but then neither is high dose. Optimal dose and optimal form depend heavily on your individual genetics and biochemistry.

Oh cool, what about choline or b7? And isnt one b vitamin I think it was b12 absoprtion limited by some sort of enzyme in the stomach? So sublingual would be better. Reason Im asking is because Im trying to skip how much my body will allow to make. Because I believe it is limited by my DNA code. Someone could take a low dose b12 and I take high dosage of b12, but his genes allow for more conversion to the active form so he could get more into his system even though his dose is lower while mine is all washed out of my blood. I assume the active forms of b vitamins dont get washed out as easily, only the inactive forms one  but im most likely wrong. But methylcobalamin can also be converted into other things which have a huge role in the body and its all controlled by enzymes. I dunno, even the so called active forms are further converted into a hundred or thousand different things and who knows how important they could be. What seems to me the solution is to just increase activity of all the enzymes that convert them over and over. Are the active forms called that way because they activate the rest of its precursors the most, or because its first in line thats made from the food source? Like cholesterol when it converts to pregnenolone but we call pregnenolone the mother hormone not cholesterol even though it comes first. But I think cholesterol converts to other things too before pregnenolone like but its similar to cholesterol in molecule or whatever so its not counted as different.

Edited by kurdishfella, 11 April 2021 - 05:54 AM.

#22 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:21 PM

If your pee doesn't turn bright yellow and smell vitamini than your are deficient!

#23 odder_sea

• 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:58 PM

https://www.vitacost...complex-formula

-Conservative doses
-Premium Forms
-Sustained Release
-Reputable Company
-Currently on Sale

#24 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2022 - 01:35 PM

B complex helps my anxiety im 5 days in. Very very subtle though. But things that make me anxious i can handle better to the point it doesnt get out of hand . hope it improves even more. I think it is a combination of all the b vitamins together and not a specific one. It also helps me in control of other things like excess libido.

Edited by kurdishfella, 11 April 2022 - 01:50 PM.

#25 kpfleger

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:43 PM

I've just reviewed dozens of B complexes on the market, ConsumerLab.com's B vitamin review, and a half-dozen forum threads just like this one across 3 different websites (Reddit had 4 threads). The best answer I saw was to consider nutritional yeast. Even unfortified nutritional yeast appears to provide a meaningful % (but not crazy-high) of B1 & B2. Many brands appear to provide B1, B2, B6, & B12 & I see B3, B5, B7, B9 in some, and in most at levels much lower than most B complex supplements on the market.

I enjoy "Parma! Vegan Parmesan Original" which is nutritional yeast + some nuts & seeds and it provides 1.1mg B1 (90% of DV), 1.1mg B2 (80%), 1.1mg B6 (70%), & 1mcg B12 (40%) in 1Tbsp/6g. Bragg's nutritional yeast seems to be more heavily fortified but of course you can control the dose pretty easily. Whole Foods product seems to have lower amounts. One can shop around as the ratios vary (as with the B complex pills), but at least most of the products are much closer to RDA/DV amounts.

Thanks to Reddit user ymeski for the post here: https://www.reddit.c...web2x&context=3

and user Crux in very old 2012 thread here: https://forums.phoen...-complex.21021/ for suggesting this.

#26 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 06:07 PM

Just take a portion of a B vitamin.

B vitamins, especially methylated forms, make me feel horrible, massive OCD.

#27 Kismet2U

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2022 - 02:26 AM

Revly B Complex was absolutely perfect for what you were looking for.
Serving size is 2 tablets and that gave you about 200% RDV of each vitamin. So taking one tab was perfect. Also since it was Amazon brand the quality was good. They are trying to make a name for themselves and it showed.
The bad news is that currently it's unavailable. Totally bums me out as now I am right back to the searching.

Attached Files

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#28 Kismet2U

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2022 - 03:06 AM

Revly B Complex was absolutely perfect for what you were looking for.
Serving size is 2 tablets and that gave you about 200% RDV. So one tab was perfect. Also since it was Amazon brand the quality was good. They are trying to make a name for themselves and it showed.
The bad news is that currently it's unavailable.
Windmill natural vitamins looks promising but I haven't tried them yet. If anyone has I'd love to hear about your opinion.
Lastly there's Sundance. It's 100% of the B vitamins at 100% RDV. Well it does not have vitamin B4 and B 4 you tell me that none of them do, I just wanted to be clear.

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multivitamin, energy, nutrition, cofactor, daily, motivation, diet, food, mood, proportion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users