Do GABA supplements cross the BBB?

gaba

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DarkRiver

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:04 AM

I have read in a few places that it's pointless to take GABA supplements since they don't get into the brain. Any opinions on this?

#2 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:36 AM

Well, GABA is one of the very few supplements one do really notice the effects without any doubts.

In my case about 2,5g in the post workout shake sends me to nap like a baby right away.

• unsure x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

GABA works sublingual, thats what you gotta aim for. unless you try to spend more money on that newer type called pharmaGABA made in Japan, which you can feel through oral route. not sure the reason for this, it claims to be "fermented" GABA if that makes sense

#4 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:10 PM

I've used it a few times to help me go to sleep (alternating with my usual melatonin/inositol) and it seems to work well.

In theory, theory and practice are the same.  In practice, they are not.   Which does not make my n=1 definitive, only pointing out that theory does not always pan out.

If you think it might be helpful, give it a try.

#5 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

As someone with Essential Tremor who has been looking into this extensively, no, GABA is too large to pass the BBB but you can take other GABA stimulating substances to get around that problem. Green Tea, L-Theanine, Taurine, Inositol, etc. You can also try Gabapentin, KAVA or Phenibut, these however have side effects. 

I wish that it were easier than this, but it isn't. 

#6 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:03 PM

Written that way you make it looking like supplementing GABA is just a waste of time...

Actually things are a bit more complex than a blood barrier to cross or not to cross.

To get an idea just have a look at what examine has to say about.

https://examine.com/supplements/gaba/

#7 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:32 PM

Written that way you make it looking like supplementing GABA is just a waste of time...

Actually things are a bit more complex than a blood barrier to cross or not to cross.

To get an idea just have a look at what examine has to say about.

https://examine.com/supplements/gaba/

Yeah I read the examine take on it a while back and it wasn't really enough to convince me, I also tried taking it for a bit. It did nothing to affect my tremor while L-theanine does do something. ET is known to be positively affected by GABA simulation, though it really has little to do with GABA in terms of root causes. It's why alcohol affects it I think, though that could also be blood sugar related, hard to say. It doesn't cross the BBB and any effects it might have are not well researched. I do think it's a waste of time if what you want to do is boost GABA.

#8 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:37 PM

Did you look into BPC?

#9 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:39 PM

No, not sure why that would be helpful. Most sources are fake and from what I've recently learned about peptides, they are unstable and rarely shipped or stored correctly. If there is a reliable source out there that ships a freeze dried version or a version that is kept on dry ice via overnight delivery I might be up for it.

Edited by Nate-2004, 02 August 2017 - 10:41 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#10 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

Have a look at the dedicate thread, read the patent at the link posted and eventually lets continue over there in order to not derail this thread.

#11 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:30 AM

not derailing the thread actually. if BPC is related to GABA, then its right on topic here, no? so saying that, i would need some good evidence it does boost GABA and its reliable stable without IV with some resources, thanks

#12 DarkRiver

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:31 PM

I wanted to start this thread because in the book Better Living Through Neurochemistry, author James Lee says:

You may have seen GABA supplements for sale in a health food store. Don't bother. There is very little evidence that oral GABA crosses the blood-brain barrier in any meaningful amounts. GABA is like glutathione that way - you are better off fixing GABA indirectly.

#13 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:44 PM

In terms of reducing stress/anxiety, GABA could still be beneficial even if it doesn't cross the BBB in significant quantities. Nervous system signaling extends throughout the whole body, and things like perceived anxiety aren't limited to the brain.

• unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:54 AM

GABA can be influenced in the gut, pretty much like serotonin. which is starting to make sense why fermented GABA or "pharmGABA" has actual bioavailability

• unsure x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gaba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users