GABAergic Kindling, Withdrawal, and Receptor Sensitization

gaba benzodiazepine kindling withdrawal sensitization ghb bpc-157 alcohol

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BioInfinite

• 54 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2023 - 12:34 PM

Has anyone experienced this? If so what was your experience? Did anything help?

Personally I used to do a lot of sedatives over several years including Alcohol, GHB, benzos, z-drugs, Gabapentin, Baclofen, etc as self medication for anxiety and chronic insomnia. I thought I'd be fine as long as I don't build tolerance, how naive I was. Instead I seemed to develop reverse-tolerance.

Eventually I also got serotonin toxicity from Etizolam combined with other serotonergic drugs such as psychedelics which seemed to coincide with the beginning of my kindled state. Anything that was GABAergic in nature triggered what felt like hell, an intense mental pain. I guess that was instant withdrawal. 

I was still able to drink alcohol after a few months, but each time the buffer grew smaller and smaller until no amount of abstinence reversed the precipitation of that state, so naturally I quit that forever. 

Then over the next decade I continued getting more and more sensitive to foods that have a GABAergic action, no matter how small. For example- balsamic/cider/wine vinegars (GHB content), lemongrass in Thai curry, other spices, de-alchoholised wine/beer, anything brewed, and so on. All these would trigger instant withdrawal.

Interestingly, I know other herbs and foods that have similar GABAergic actions which did not seem to have any negative effect (some until later, some I have been very careful with - I rarely ingest - such as herbs like oregano and basil that contain rosmarinic acid and to date have not reacted to). It seems the triggers are repeated exposure to specific agonists rather than cumulative agonism. Perhaps this is also GABAergic receptor sensitisation?

Does anyone know anything that could help or reverse it?

I was looking into BPC-157, though its action is a bit ambiguous. 

Any suggestions to help me or others with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 02:33 PM

My experience was with Phenibut, kindling to the point a single dose would induce psychotic-like symptoms after the short-lived positive effects.

I think Bacopa taken for a period can have a normalizing effect on the GABA-receptors.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 11:12 PM

Hmmmm a withdrawal effect from eating certain foods? That sounds more like an allergy of some sort. You apparently quit the things that were addictive like alcohol or ghb. If you are sensitive to them from overuse then quitting was a good move. However you don't mention any high feeling you get from those herbs and foods which bother you now.

Your theory is that your gaba receptors have become so sensitive to gaba-ergics that eating certain food that might have a tiny gaba-ergic effect that it in effect makes you addicted instantly and then you "withdraw" and have bad symptoms. That could be, somehow, but an allergy to certain things seems more probable and occams razor suggests we take the simplest explanation rather than the most complicated.

If its been 10 years since you abused those things you should have made a physical recovery. Do you have any other symptoms besides food sensitivity? Have you had doctors do a workup on you and test for things? A neurologist might be able to help or you might find info on the net if you look in the right places.

Galaxy, I use etizolam but only once every 9 days usually. I use different things each day to avoid dependence. Do you have the same reaction to benzos? I know that etiz is addictive if overused but it seems not to be as addictive as benzos are. Many recovering addicts have neurological symptoms afterward and sometimes for years after quitting. Things like restless legs and so on. So they can't sleep and get hooked on benzos. Its a vicious circle

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 04:32 AM

Galaxy, I use etizolam but only once every 9 days usually. I use different things each day to avoid dependence. Do you have the same reaction to benzos? I know that etiz is addictive if overused but it seems not to be as addictive as benzos are. Many recovering addicts have neurological symptoms afterward and sometimes for years after quitting. Things like restless legs and so on. So they can't sleep and get hooked on benzos. Its a vicious circle

I haven't had a real problem with benzos besides somewhat of a wierd response to them. I've been using Lorazepam regularly for over 5 years and I still get some anxiolysis from the same 0,5 - 1 mg dose. I can have days when I don't take it without any clear withdrawal symptoms. It's a stubborn habit but so far hasn't gotten me into the notorious benzo hell. I think Etizolam every 9 days is very safe and yeah cycling different things is a good strategy. Some people successfully switch between GABA-A and GABA-B agonist drugs for long-term anxiety treatment, but personally I avoid at least the addictive GABA-B agonists because of my history with Phenibut.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gaba, benzodiazepine, kindling, withdrawal, sensitization, ghb, bpc-157, alcohol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users