blood glucose hypoglycemia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ConnyB

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

Hi!

I'm usually only reading at these forums but decided that I need some help to figure out what is going on with my blood glucose.

Fasting in the morning it is 75-83 mg/dL typically. After my typical breakfast (1l yogurt, some cottage cheese and a slice of bread or some oatmeal) the blood glucose looks like this:
Before breakfast 75
15 min post 75
1 hour post 65
2 hour post 65
3 hour post 84

Before lunch 80
45 min after lunch 85
75 min after lunch 78
110 min after lunch 97
2.5 hours after lunch 86

This lunch consisted of gluten free pasta (rice pasta)
Cottage cheese, meatballs

What I'm not getting is why my blood glucose drops to hypo range after breakfast, but not after lunch?

I do 16:8 IF

Supplements are:
Rhodiola,
Zinc carnosine for stomach issuer
Boron 10 mg
Lifeextension two a day multi @1 a day
B-right
Tmg
Omega 3 4g
L-tyrosine 800mg

All taken in the morning before breakfast.

I do heavy weight lifting twice a week.

Please comment and give advice to what is going on.

My suspicion so far is the high amount of dairy in the breakfast. I tried to reduce it bit with little effect. Im considering to omit it from breakfast. Other than that I dont know.

Thanks in advance

#2 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

What do you need help with? All that looks unusually good, especially for the post meal ones. 

My fasted blood glucose is over 100 usually, that's a genetic thing apparently, dawn phenomenon. 

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 HaplogroupW

• 101 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

One point regarding Nate's >100 mg/dL fasting glucose readings: I thought mine were typically that high too, and was a bit distressed about it as I was aiming for (and expecting) lower numbers, e.g. Peter Attia's suggestion that average should optimally be <= 85. But I think it can easily depend on the meter. There are different technologies for the strips, and different accuracies associated therewith. You can find reports online showing rather poor accuracy in some meters at those levels.

The attached image shows the measurements produced by the 3 meters I happen to accumulated, all from the same drop of blood.

Attached File  IMG_20180108_004356_smaller.jpg   71.27KB   1 downloads

I tend to think the keto mojo is the most accurate of the three. I think they use the hematocrit and hemoglobin measurement in their regression tables that produces a more accurate estimate. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. Next time I get a lab blood draw I'll compare.

#4 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:34 AM

1. You are consuming to little calories

2. You are under big stress (could be both physical and psychological)

3. You got insulin spikes, which are NOT detected with the strips, when insulin spikes, ti decrease bg quite a bit later on. You need to try a whole food plant based low-medium carb test - nuts/seeds/veggies (forget about animal protein fort 3-4 days) and see if its fixed. Load on greens/mushrooms/nuts/seeds.

That exclude,

Potatoes

Apples

Grape

Rasins

Bananas

Rice

Honey

Dates

P.S. keto does not fix insulin resistance/bg issues, it only masks it, one you are out of keto you are back from where you start it.

Edited by dazed1, 19 February 2018 - 02:36 AM.

#5 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:57 AM

...Peter Attia's suggestion that average should optimally be <= 85..

He mentions that in this lecture somewhere around the 58-minute mark: https://youtu.be/vDFxdkck354

The entire lecture is good -- his discussion will be familiar to folks here -- but he says we should attempt to optimize nutrition such that carb consumption leads to average glucose of <=85 over a 24-hr period and a standard deviation of <15 mg/dl. Those two conditions, he says, will lead to a relatively low AUC for insulin.

Attia also says something obvious, but important, about food and eating in general: don't be too emotional about it. Attaching yourself to specific regimes or labels like vegan or keto or whatever can get in the way of eating what's optimal for your own body during your own particular life stage. View food as what it is -- a bunch of molecules that affect enzymes and hormones and the human metabolism in general.

What I'm not getting is why my blood glucose drops to hypo range after breakfast, but not after lunch?

I do 16:8 IF

Are your low numbers a one-time phenom, or a pattern? HaplogroupW is right: we need better measuring devices in general that can be monitored whenever, wherever, cheap, easy to use, available to everyone. Some people already have them, of course.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blood glucose, hypoglycemia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users