Nicotinamide Mononucleotide (NMN) personal experience thread

nmn nicotinamide mononucleotide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
670 replies to this topic

#121 Dstein

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:12 PM

First impression: tastes great. A bit like vitamin C crystals, but less acidic. Very easy to take. I dropped half a scoop under my tongue and my mouth immediately filled with saliva. The powder dissolved in seconds. Is this how everyone takes it?

I find that it works best when I put it between my lower front teeth and lips.

• Informative x 1

#122 Gravitsapa

• 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:42 AM

I find that it works best when I put it between my lower front teeth and lips.

I will try that, thank you for the tip!

Is the conventional wisdom then that the longer we keep the powder in contact with mucosa the better? Should we refrain from swallowing while waiting for nmn to be absorbed?

#123 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:03 AM

I will try that, thank you for the tip!

Is the conventional wisdom then that the longer we keep the powder in contact with mucosa the better? Should we refrain from swallowing while waiting for nmn to be absorbed?

Yes

#124 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:16 PM

I've been taking Alive By Nature's new NMN sublinguals for the last week, two under the tongue about an hour before working out at the gym, about every other day. I'm also taking rapamycin 2mg every 10 days so there's that to consider.

I do cardio at the gym using a chest band heart rate monitor. I do some version of HIIIT such that I get my heart rate to about 140-150 every interval, then let it fall back down to below 130 before the next high intensity interval. Usually I do between 235 calories and 275 calories as calculated by the machine.

Today, using all the same parameters, I did 300 calories and felt as if I could have done more.

So it MAY be that something is working.

#125 Gravitsapa

• 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:54 PM

Hi guys. Just wanted to give you heads up about something that happened.

I have followed the advice above and been dropping the nmn powder on the gum below my lower teeth (one full scoop at a time).

Everything was going great, until I noticed last night black plaque on the lower part of my front lower teeth. I've never seen anything like that and didn't instantly realised what it was. I panicked a little, cause i noticed it there AFTER brushing my teeth. But was able to remove it with more brushing.

Just thought I'd give you the heads up that this could happen. Given the acidic taste of the powder, it's probably not a good idea to place it in direct contact with teeth. I'm going back to sublingual placement.

Other than that, I've been feeling reduced appetite in the last few days. The joints are less sore, but no additional energy or endurance yet. Too early to measure anything though, has just been a few days
  • Informative x 7
  • Good Point x 1

#126 Dstein

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:00 PM

Everything was going great, until I noticed last night black plaque on the lower part of my front lower teeth. I've never seen anything like that and didn't instantly realised what it was. I panicked a little, cause i noticed it there AFTER brushing my teeth. But was able to remove it with more brushing.

Interesting, good to know.  I've never had that problem, but then I tend to take multiple small doses throughout the day so maybe less of it reaches my teeth??

#127 LawrenceW

• Topic Starter
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:30 PM

Interesting, good to know.  I've never had that problem, but then I tend to take multiple small doses throughout the day so maybe less of it reaches my teeth??

Please remember that Gravitsapa was putting the sublingual in front of his gums between the gums and his lower lip.  The unabsorbed sublingual will wash back up and over the teeth before being swallowed whereas the unabsorbed sublingual from under the tongue washes backwards around the back of the tongue and is then swallowed.  The most efficient absorption is from under the tongue, so why place it anywhere else?

• Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#128 Gravitsapa

• 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:13 AM

Gravitsapa is a she:)

I've worked out that if I'm upright and lifting my tongue up towards the roof of the mouth, I can drop a scoop full of powder under my tongue and avoid instant increase in saliva.

#129 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:20 AM

I've worked out that if I'm upright and lifting my tongue up towards the roof of the mouth, I can drop a scoop full of powder under my tongue and avoid instant increase in saliva.

Yeah, the key is, getting it ALL under the tongue.  It seems like no taste buds there, so minimal tartness and dissolves before you get a lot of saliva.

I don't bother with the little scoop - its not convenient.  I use it to measure 200 Mg into a little sugar spoon, so I know what it looks like.  But after that I don't use the scoop anymore.  Much easier to get it delivered accurately.

• Agree x 1

#130 LawrenceW

• Topic Starter
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:44 AM

Hello Gravitsapa.

Please accept my apologies for the mislabeling.

Lawrence

#131 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:32 AM

Anyone else get headaches with NMN alivebynature?    If so, does it eventually stop if you continue taking it?

#132 Gravitsapa

• 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:32 AM

Hello Gravitsapa.

Please accept my apologies for the mislabeling.

Lawrence

Hey, no worries at all.

By the way, it was mostly your report on what nmn did for your joints that inspired me to start taking it. I'm 35, but joints are a disaster..

Is there any advice specific to joints health and nmn that you would give based on your experience?

You said, pain in the joints went away after about 3 months of taking nmn - is that right?

I really hope I get a similar result. Will post what happens in any case.
  • Informative x 1

#133 LawrenceW

• Topic Starter
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:00 AM

Is there any advice specific to joints health and nmn that you would give based on your experience?

You said, pain in the joints went away after about 3 months of taking nmn - is that right?

I really hope I get a similar result. Will post what happens in any case.

The smaller joints seem to react quicker.  I first noticed the pain subsiding and the ease of motion starting at about week 3 in my knuckles. The larger joints seemed to take longer but felt completely cleared up after 3 months.  It also seems to be dose dependent.  For example, when I dropped down to the 400mg per day oral dose I noticed some pain and stiffness returning to my knuckles after a couple of weeks.  I went up to 1,000mg per day and it cleared up in just over a week.

Please keep us posted with your experience.

#134 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:29 PM

I’ve been using 500mg/day TruNiagen for a few months and notice nothing. I’m thinking of just max loading it and taking 2g per day spread out into four 500mg doses. I’m not the greatest at noticing “affects” so what type of affects would one notice from a high dose like that? Maybe if I know what I’m looking for I can pinpoint it better? Thanks
  • Off-Topic x 4

#135 LawrenceW

• Topic Starter
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:39 PM

Hello John.

Complaints about TruNiagen NR not working should be posted on the NR thread.  But, now that you are on the NMN thread I will share with you that I also tried NR for 3 months and got no results.  I switched to NMN last September and am still loving my results.  You too should consider switching to NMN.

#136 Dominic F.

• 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:09 PM

Is there any way to obtain NMN at a semi sane price? The best I've come across is this:

https://alivebynatur...mononucleotide/

$69.95 for 12g. Considering the doses described in the OP were 3.5g twice a day, that's about $70 for a 2-day supply. Is it possible to do a group buy on ordering food grade NMN from China?

#137 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

Is there any way to obtain NMN at a semi sane price? The best I've come across is this:

https://alivebynatur...mononucleotide/

$69.95 for 12g. Considering the doses described in the OP were 3.5g twice a day, that's about $70 for a 2-day supply. Is it possible to do a group buy on ordering food grade NMN from China?

Dominic - OP described huge dosages in the beginning, but says they found much smaller dosages to be just as effective.  

I don't know why you would estimate cost based on a dosage that no-one is taking or recommends.

• Informative x 2
  • Agree x 1

#138 Dstein

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:49 PM

Is it possible to do a group buy on ordering food grade NMN from China?

If somebody wants to organize it, I'm in.

#139 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

Three bottles of the powder equals 36 grams for 169.95 or $4.72 per gram. That might be too much for many. If it works as well for most as well as it has worked for some reporting their experience, then it is well worth it. The price will come down with demand increases. Trust in your supplier is critical, and Alive By Nature is excellent.

It is interesting that Able reported getting tired at higher doses which went away after a short break. With their experience, I planned to take occasional breaks, and Alive By Nature's position also reinforces the idea.

ALIVE BY NATURE: https://alivebynatur...our-healthspan/

"There is likely an upper limit on the effective dosage of NMN and NR capsules, which seems to be between 500 and 1,000 Mg per day. "NOT EVERY DAY" "We recommend taking 2-3 days off per week, ideally on days when you will be getting the least exercise. If you relax more on the weekend that is a good time to not take NMN."

Edited by Heisok, 14 August 2018 - 10:15 PM.

#140 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:02 AM

Hello John.

Complaints about TruNiagen NR not working should be posted on the NR thread.  But, now that you are on the NMN thread I will share with you that I also tried NR for 3 months and got no results.  I switched to NMN last September and am still loving my results.  You too should consider switching to NMN.

I have been taking Tru/Niagen for a few months with nothing positive to report but it doesn't give me a headache like the NMN, so I guess that's a positive. It's only the alivebynature sublingual that gives me the headaches. The NNM capsules they had didn't give me a headache, but they got rid of those. I have plenty of the sublingual left so I will try again and if it still does it then maybe I will put the powder in capsules.

Edited by mrwhitee, 15 August 2018 - 01:03 AM.

• Informative x 1

#141 Oakman

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:47 PM

^ Seeing your experience brettshk, it made me take notice as some of my experience as of late is so opposite yours. Headaches, well, I used to have them a lot when I was young. Now, the ONLY reasons I get one nowadays is either a good knock on the noggin (bang my head on something), or too much alcohol. I'd look into that, it's not right at your age, maybe to do with your dieting?

My weight was 160 in Jan, 150 in Jun, and then it seemed to stay there no matter what I did. I was 147 when 30yrs old, so I thought that wasn't awful at 69. But body shape changes with age, and I wanted to get rid of some stomach fat that didn't budge even losing 10 lbs. But I was stuck. Then started taking NMN, and since July, and mostly with higher NN intake, the pounds are disappearing, and I'm at 145 today, a modest miracle in my mind! The only real change has been with NMN, so maybe it's that? Hard to know.

As for energy, NMN seems to give it in spades, both for exercise, and things like not even thinking about afternoon naps much any more. I just have energy to spare. I do try to get 8 hrs sleep, and am more and more a flexitarian (mostly veges, chicken, and some fish). IOW, lots of protein, some carbs and good fat, and a healthy dose of dark chocolate every day.

Everyone is different, but if something doesn't work for you as you want... I would stop and consider what going wrong and try something new.

• Informative x 2

#142 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:08 PM

(deleted)

Edited by able, 16 August 2018 - 03:11 PM.

#143 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:27 PM

Just a as a point of reference, I am a similar age/weight as Oakman and experience the same increased energy.  In fact, I have been currently alternating between mitochondrial fusion and fission as described here.  I much prefer the "up" NMN days instead of the fusion days where I feel sluggish.

• Informative x 2

#144 LawrenceW

• Topic Starter
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:23 PM

Dropped by my optometrist's office today and had his assistant pull up the most recent set of pictures of my retinas and a set from 14 years ago.  He then came in the room and was asked which set appeared to be healthier to him.  He chose the most recent set as appearing healthier. Yet another reason that I will keep taking my NMN regimen until something better comes along!

• Informative x 5
  • unsure x 2

#145 nbourbaki

• 106 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:14 PM

Has anyone's fasting glucose gone up on the alivebynature powder?  

• Informative x 1

#146 LawrenceW

• Topic Starter
  • 402 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:49 PM

Has anyone's fasting glucose gone up on the alivebynature powder?  

There are two tests for fasting blood sugar: the traditional blood sugar test and glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c). This test measures how the body is managing blood sugar over a period of time.

The HbA1c test is used to check how a person's sugars have been controlled over a certain period of time. The HbA1c levels do not fluctuate much and can give a good indication of a person's sugar levels for several months ahead. This may mean that people who use certain diabetes medications and whose blood sugar is well-controlled, may not need to do traditional daily monitoring.

However, in many cases a doctor will still ask people with diabetes to use the traditional system and check their levels daily.

In most cases, doctors ask people to measure fasting blood sugar immediately upon waking, before they have had anything to eat or drink. It may also be appropriate to test blood sugar before eating or sometimes 2 hours after a meal, when blood sugar has returned to normal levels.

The fasting blood sugar test is fast moving and results can change in minutes and are subject to changes such as from eating too many sweets the day before.

If you want a more accurate picture of NMN's effect on your blood sugar I would suggest that you have the HbA1c test. 

#147 nbourbaki

• 106 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:48 PM

I used to have a meter that would test HbA1c.  I ask because I do the glucose test as soon as I get up.  Before eating or drinking anything.  This morning after fasting for a solid 36 hours, my morning glucose was higher than before I started taking NMN after a similar fast.  My ketones are as I would expect after fasting 36 hours, but the fasting glucose is much higher since starting NMN.  I'm taking 800mg of NMN per day.  The only other change in routine is adding TMG after each dose of NMN.  I didn't see this when taking Niagen and I just wanted to see if others had seen the same thing.

• Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#148 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:13 PM

Dropped by my optometrist's office today and had his assistant pull up the most recent set of pictures of my retinas and a set from 14 years ago.  He then came in the room and was asked which set appeared to be healthier to him.  He chose the most recent set as appearing healthier. Yet another reason that I will keep taking my NMN regimen until something better comes along!

But maybe the results were almost the same, and he had to chose one so a 50/50 chance of picking the recent result.

• Good Point x 3

#149 LawrenceW

• Topic Starter
  • 402 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:46 PM

But maybe the results were almost the same, and he had to chose one so a 50/50 chance of picking the recent result.

So let's go with your pessimistic viewpoint. I'll take 14 years older and no change any day of the week!

• Good Point x 2

#150 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:16 PM

So let's go with your pessimistic viewpoint. I'll take 14 years older and no change any day of the week!

It isn't a pessimistic view but a scientific one. It would be good to show more people but that might not be that easy to do since they would need to know what to look for.

• Good Point x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nmn, nicotinamide mononucleotide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users