biomarkers proteomics dna blood rna mri telomeres grip

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
⌛⇒ write a quiz!

#1 LizParrish

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:39 PM

I am looking for your favorite lists of biomarkers that are a clinical grade or evidence-based or will be within 5 years. 

• like x 4

#2 OP2040

• 198 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

I can't believe no one has responded to the great Liz Parrish, assuming that is you.

I'm not as educated on these matters as some of the other people here.  But I think the consensus would be to use Horvath or Levine's new epigenetic clock.  They are the closest we have to some measure that can accurately predict mortality.  The interface between epigenetics and telomeres seems to be a very promising area.  We already know that restoring youthful cellular epigenetics with OSKM also restores telomere length.  So it would be great to know if it works the same way in reverse, namely restoring telomere length will also restore a youthful epigenetic state. 

• like x 1

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 YOLF

• 8,116 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:32 PM

Personally, what I would do is use 4F on cells in a test tube, take methylation measurements, and measure the percent differentiated from the immortalized phenotype. Or we could use small samples of cord blood and from people at various ages where the oldest cells from centenarians or people around the median life expectancy would be used for comparison. It wouldn't initially be aligned with any particular age, but there would be a weighted difference between the young and old. That data will be of the most use over time as we work out the details. I have to wonder if the rest aren't fiat or will do well enough to get us to perfect youth and may wind up creating a bias for whatever interventions become available which will actually limit development if it gets people thinking within the 'box' of the metric. I'm not sure how the rest work, or perhaps they are using a similar method and are attempting to put them on a scale?

#4 marcobjj

• 280 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:05 AM

your skin and overall physical appearance look very youthful in recent FB photos. As if the results of telomerase gene therapy are now visible. Do you agree, or am I having confirmation bias?

Edited by marcobjj, 13 September 2018 - 04:06 AM.

• Agree x 2

#5 QuestforLife

• 283 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

Yes I would second marcobjj's question Liz - initially it looked as if the telomerase/follistatin treatment's effects, although measureable, were not substantial enough for a visible reduction in age. That now no longer appears to be the case, which is unexpected - could it be that the beneficial effects of treatment have taken a long time to filter through?

We definitely need better biomarkers to find out if a treatment such as yours has actually worked (other than eyeballing pictures on FB of course!) I still think telomere measurements are valid - but there is clearly an issue with the flux in results and the fact we are only looking at leukocyte telomere length. I would suggest a Life Length telomere measurement - but ideally we also need (like Horvath has done) measurements for a range of tissues. To build up a useable database you'd probably need to access all the tissue banks (again like Horvath has done), otherwise when you made your measurement you'd have no baseline.

Edited by QuestforLife, 13 September 2018 - 07:40 AM.

• like x 1

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Moderator, Secretary
  • 15,756 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:47 AM

Here is what we are doing: https://www.longecit...gingbiomarkers/

I hope we will be able to continue this into the future, as more (and better) tests become available.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#7 Rocket

• 637 posts
  • NO

Posted Today, 12:10 AM

She looks age appropriate. I can't believe people on this site think she looks younger due to telomere extension. She's a woman who wears makeup and maintains healthy weight. She cherry picks pictures like most people do. That's not reverse aging. Care to explain Christy Brinkley who hasn't had gene therapy?
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: biomarkers, proteomics, dna, blood, rna, mri, telomeres, grip

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users