3,3-Dimethyl-1-butanol (choline analogue) as a TMAO inhibitor

tmao gut choline diet carnitine atherosclerosis tma microbiome

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MankindRising

• 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:01 AM

Just came accross this and its present in olive oil for example (not sure in what quantities though yet).

Any unexplored potential in this? and thoughts on this compounds possibly contributing to the health effects of mediterranean diet (which is obviously rich in olive oil)

https://en.wikipedia...ethyl-1-butanol

3,3-Dimethyl-1-butanol 200px-3%2C3-Dimethyl-1-butanol.svg.png

3,3-Dimethyl-1-butanol (DMB) is a structural analog of choline.[1]

Effects[edit]

DMB inhibits microbial trimethylamine (TMA) formation in mice and in human feces, thereby reducing plasma trimethylamine N-oxide (TMAO) levels after choline or carnitine supplementation.[1] It consequently inhibited choline-enhanced endogenous macrophage foam cell formation and atherosclerotic lesion development in mice without alterations in circulating cholesterol levels.[1]

While mice placed on a choline supplemented diet showed an increase in the proportions of the bacterial taxon Clostridiales in the gut, DMB induced a decrease in the proportions of this taxon.[1]

Mice showed no evidence of toxicity to chronic (16-week) DMB exposure.[1]

Occurrence[edit]

DMB is found in some balsamic vinegars, red wines, and some cold-pressed extra virgin olive oils and grapeseed oils.[1]"

Edited by MankindRising, 06 December 2018 - 12:03 AM.

• Informative x 4

#2 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

This seems like an important finding.  As you stated, it would be nice to know what quantities are available in various sources.

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:59 AM

this has never been discussed again. why is that? anyway, seems interesting finding. so it seems red wine, balsamic vinegar and olive oil with your meat is a good idea. why is that nobody else paid attention to this though. i suppose most people on this forum are vegetarians heh

#4 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:41 PM

Very interesting. But as so often with discussions about diet etc, it seems confusing. The one camp talking about how fish raises TMAO a lot and how that is good or not a concern "because Japanese live long and eat lots of fish". Etc. 

(Disclaimer: Personally I'm very biased against choline due to at most getting tension and brain fog from e.g. CDP-choline. And other various cholinergic substances (like racetams) causing me discomfort, brain fog, muscle tension etc.)

I was reading another thread: https://www.longecit...line-and-alcar/ about the possible two main culprits leading to TMAO: choline and carnitine. Coincidentally I have experimented with Mildronate/Meldonium https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Meldonium  which some say inhibits TMAO (by action relating to inhibiting carnitine synthesis). For those of you wondering about the safety of Meldonium, the studies I've glanced at that caused people concern (here and on reddit) best I recall used either insane dosages or in other ways were not relevant to any sane supplementation regimen (say 500mg oral in human).

So I've seriously considered taking something like Meldonium and/or something else, to cover both pathways leading to TMAO. Meldonium seem to only cover the carnitine related. Currently I'm only periodically using meldonium due 1. noticeable peripheral blood flow increase (helps balance out my prescription stimulant side effect of slightly decreased ditto) and 2. subjectively I can say it certainly does something for endurance (mental and physical). So it would be extremely neat if this one supplement could also provide more long-term health effects (which is already suggested by the literature, albeit a lot of it is Eastern European and people have concerns about corruption with anything in that area of the world).

So does anyone know the latest "word on the streets" about carnitine and choline? With regards to the simple argument about the Japanese living long and eating lots of fish, there are too many other factors to consider (genetics, carbohydrate tolerance, diabetes tolerance, caloric intake (AFAIK Japanese consume way way less calories than say US population), etc).  Is Olive Oil and Meldonium a Latvian/Italian scam, or are "big supplement" piracetam/choline/carnitine peddlers just trying to make a quick buck on people's ignorance?  ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:56 AM

https://www.reddit.c...comment/c9mgf24

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tmao, gut, choline, diet, carnitine, atherosclerosis, tma, microbiome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users