Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) -- Niacin / Histamine / NMN

niacin histamine mitochondria nmn

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:14 PM

I would like to report an interesting experience I've had regarding Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS), along with a possible explanation.

I've suffered from DOMS most of my adult life. This is where you feel fine after exercising, but then about two days later, severe muscle pain (and weakness) sets in that can last up to about two weeks. It's very different from the garden-variety post-exercise pain, both in onset time, intensity, and duration.

A while back, I read that high levels of Histamine were being implicated as a possible cause of DOMS. It occurred to me that a Niacin flush releases Histamine, and so it might be a reasonable treatment to prevent DOMS. I began a protocol where I took 250 mg of Niacin (I chew a tablet, for rapid absorption) immediately after exercising. That's a large enough dose to reliably cause me to flush. Sure enough, from the very first time, it prevented the DOMS. I only had normal post-exercise pain -- and it was repeatable. For the first time in my adult life, I was able to exercise without paying a horrible price afterwards. Wonderful!

After a few months, I forgot my dose once, and found the DOMS didn't return. So, I weaned myself off, and did well without it. Then, just recently, after being on NMN for about 4 days (up to 625 mg/day), I felt quite a bit stronger, and so did more exercise than I usually do, and the DOMS recurred in full-force. (I also take NR, though I've been on it for months with no effect on DOMS).

My questions:

1. Are there other possible explanations for this effect that don't involve Histamine? For example, could it be related to mitochondria?

2. Given Niacin's biochemistry, is it possible NMN works against it in some way?

3. Any suggestions for how I might improve this approach?

I would also be interested in knowing if there are other DOMS-sufferers here who might be willing to try this approach with Niacin. I would love to know if it's repeatable, or if it's just something about my personal biochemistry.

Edited by AceNZ, 28 January 2019 - 09:15 PM.

• Informative x 2

#2 Oakman

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:53 PM

Is it possible you are still cured of DOMS, you exercised a bit too hard, and had a normal soreness result, and it was only coincidence you taking NMN then? It might be that simple....or...

• Good Point x 2

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kimer Med

• Topic Starter
  • 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

Is it possible you are still cured of DOMS, you exercised a bit too hard, and had a normal soreness result, and it was only coincidence you taking NMN then? It might be that simple....or...

There's a huge difference between normal muscle soreness and the type that results from DOMS. First, there's the delayed onset part -- 2 days. Then, there's the intensity -- much, much more painful. Then, there's the duration -- it lasts at least a week, and sometimes as long as two weeks. Normal muscle soreness for me sets in within a few hours, is relatively mild, and is normally completely gone within a day or two.

Yesterday, I tried taking 250 mg of Niacin after my usual (though somewhat shortened) walk. Almost no flush! Very odd.

Edited by AceNZ, 29 January 2019 - 08:57 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:25 PM

DOMS is common muscle soreness:
https://en.m.wikiped...muscle_soreness

"Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is the pain and stiffness felt in muscles several hours to days after unaccustomed or strenuous exercise."

"Although there is variance among exercises and individuals, the soreness usually increases in intensity in the first 24 hours after exercise. It peaks from 24 to 72 hours, then subsides and disappears up to seven days after exercise."

It doesn’t only start after 2 days and take two weeks to go away. But, it can.

#5 Kimer Med

• Topic Starter
  • 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:57 PM

I'm mainly describing how it works / feels for me; I can't speak for others. In my case, DOMS and conventional muscle soreness are two *very* different things.

It seems like conventional muscle soreness is usually due to lactic acid build-up, whereas DOMS is due to high levels of histamine -- however, there is some disagreement on that point.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5161583/

#6 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:03 PM

Lactic acid you feel during your exercise not after a delay.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Kimer Med

• Topic Starter
  • 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:17 PM

Lactic acid you feel during your exercise not after a delay.

When I have a lactic acid burn during exercise, it's often followed by an achy soreness after a relatively short delay. However, that soreness tends to be relatively mild compared to DOMS, and goes away relatively quickly.

When I have DOMS, I usually don't feel a lactic acid burn at all.

#8 Kimer Med

• Topic Starter
  • 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:59 AM

I've recently heard that NMN reduces Lactic Acid. Based on that, I have a hypothesis about what may have happened with me:

While I was taking Niacin regularly, my tolerance to exercise increased incrementally, until I could eventually do my normal routine without it. I would always stop right about the time I would start to feel a Lactic Acid burn -- and the time it took to reach that point increased steadily as my fitness improved.

If the level of Lactic Acid was much lower while taking NMN, that would explain why I was able to exercise longer without feeling the burn that usually tells me I've had enough. However, that wouldn't affect the Histamine-related damage pathways that cause DOMS, or the associated exercise tolerance. So, when I didn't feel the burn, I pushed far enough that Histamine and DOMS bit me as it normally would have.

I still don't have a good explanation of why 250 mg of Niacin didn't provoke a flush three days after onset, though. That's just weird.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niacin, histamine, mitochondria, nmn

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users