- - - - -

Is this "restless leg syndrome"?

st johns wort restless leg

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MKultra

• 71 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:10 AM

I've been taking St. John's Wort for many years, i find it really great for fighting off depression and nowadays for creativity as well.

I have used it for almost 20 years now, but i do take regular breaks from it. 

One side effect i have noticed quite often - at bed time, i often want to really stretch my ankle joint, like i'm expecting it to make the "snap" sound and it'll be fine and the discomfort goes away, but i just end up stretching it back and forth and i never get to a satisfactory "ah, now its fine again".

This gets worse if i up the dose (i use a very low dose, 1 tablet a day unless i'm using it for longer periods then i have to up my dose to even feel anything, but this side effect gets worse). 

I remember googling about this years ago and i found another person describing this issue, and for him it was also his ankle joint that bothered him on SJW..

Is there something i can use with SJW to make this go away you think?

Edited by MKultra, 15 February 2019 - 09:11 AM.

#2 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:52 PM

It could be. I’m not positive but I think Saint johns wort increases all neurotransmitters. Typically restless leg syndrome happens when you don’t have enough dopamine so it might be increasing too much serotonin which in turn will decrease dopamine. Maybe try taking some uridine, Jiaogulan and L-Tyrosine and see if that helps.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 MKultra

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:35 AM

Might be that then.. L-Tyrosine i have at home (tabs), and for some reason my protein called "Bed Time" also includes it, but last time i used it near bed time i couldnt sleep though, i'm thinking it increases dopamine too much... I'll google the other two. Thanks.

#4 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:55 AM

I've had Restless Legs for 40+ yrs, in varying degrees of severity.

Having some discomfort in your ankle joint doesn't sound like conventional RLS to me. Is it really entirely in your ankle, or does the discomfort extend to your calf?

RLS is more like an irresistible urge to move both legs, usually accompanied by an ache or similar discomfort in one or more of the large muscles in both legs. 

Some people don't get symptoms until after they fall asleep, and so may miss the achy aspect. During sleep, it normally manifests as a twitching movement of the legs.

When I get a bad case, I literally can't sit still. With a mild case, my calves ache while awake, then I twitch periodically after falling asleep.

Low dopamine is one cause, as @John250 mentioned. Low or high Iron is another one.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 MKultra

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:52 AM

It's just the ankles.

I remember that as a kid i used to have similar things but it could be almost any part of the body that i got an urge to stretch out. It could be kind of awkward when there were situations when you were supposed to be reasonable still, like e.g at the movies or similar and you got this urge to have to really stretch out your leg or whatever. But that could be kind of normal when still growing perhaps, though i never saw any other kid with that "problem"..

Edited by MKultra, 16 February 2019 - 07:53 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: st johns wort, restless leg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users