aging electrical current vagus nerve autonomic nervous system

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Engadin

• 198 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:01 PM

S O U R C E : https://eurekalert.o...ol-tc072919.php

Tickling' the ear with a small electrical current appears to rebalance the autonomic nervous system for over-55s, potentially slowing down one of the effects of ageing, according to new research.

Scientists found that a short daily therapy delivered for two weeks led to both physiological and wellbeing improvements, including a better quality of life, mood and sleep.

The therapy, called transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation, delivers a small, painless electrical current to the ear, which sends signals to the body's nervous system through the vagus nerve.

The new research, conducted at the University of Leeds, suggests the therapy may slow down an important effect associated with ageing.

This could help protect people from chronic diseases which we become more prone to as we get older, such as high blood pressure, heart disease and atrial fibrillation. The researchers, who published their findings today in the journal Aging, suggest that the 'tickle' therapy has the potential to help people age more healthily, by recalibrating the body's internal control system.

Lead author Dr Beatrice Bretherton, from the School of Biomedical Sciences at the University of Leeds, said: "The ear is like a gateway through which we can tinker with the body's metabolic balance, without the need for medication or invasive procedures. We believe these results are just the tip of the iceberg.

"We are excited to investigate further into the effects and potential long-term benefits of daily ear stimulation, as we have seen a great response to the treatment so far."

The study was conducted by scientists from the University of Leeds and funded by the Dunhill Medical Trust.

What is the autonomic nervous system?

The autonomic nervous system controls many of the body's functions which don't require conscious thought, such as digestion, breathing, heart rate and blood pressure.

It contains two branches, the sympathetic and the parasympathetic, which work against each other to maintain a healthy balance of activity.

The sympathetic branch helps the body prepare for high intensity 'fight or flight' activity, whilst the parasympathetic is crucial to low intensity 'rest and digest' activity.

As we age, and when we are fighting diseases, the body's balance changes such that the sympathetic branch begins to dominate. This imbalance makes us more susceptible to new diseases and leads to the breakdown of healthy bodily function as we get older.

Clinicians have long been interested in the potential for using electrical currents to influence the nervous system. The vagus nerve, the major nerve of the parasympathetic system, has often been used for electrical stimulation and past research has looked at the possibility of using vagus nerve stimulation to tackle depression, epilepsy, obesity, stroke, tinnitus and heart conditions.

However, this kind of stimulation needs surgery to implant electrodes in the neck region, with associated expense and a small risks of side effects.

Fortunately, there is one small branch of the vagus nerve that can be stimulated without surgery, located in the skin of specific parts of the outer ear.

In Leeds, previous research has shown that applying a small electrical stimulus to the vagus nerve at the ear, which some people perceive as a tickling sensation, improves the balance of the autonomic nervous system in healthy 30-year-olds.

Other researchers worldwide are now investigating if this transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation (tVNS) could provide a therapy for conditions ranging from heart problems to mental health.

Diane Crossley, aged 70, from Leeds, took part in the study and received the tVNS therapy for two weeks. She said: "I was happy to be a participant in this really interesting study, it helped me with my awareness of my own health.

"It was a fascinating project and I was proud to be part of it."

In their new study, scientists at the University of Leeds wanted to see whether tVNS could benefit over 55-year-olds, who are more likely to have out-of-balance autonomic systems that could contribute to health issues associated with ageing.

They recruited 29 healthy volunteers, aged 55 or above, and gave each of them the tVNS therapy for 15 minutes per day, over a two week period. Participants were taught to self-administer the therapy at home during the study.

The therapy led to an increase in parasympathetic activity and a decrease in sympathetic activity, rebalancing the autonomic function towards that associated with healthy function. In addition, some people reported improvements in measures of mental health and sleeping patterns.

Being able to correct this balance of activity could help us age more healthily, as well as having the potential to help people with a variety of disorders such as heart disease and some mental health issues.

Additionally, improving the balance of the autonomic nervous system lowers an individual's risk of death, as well as the need for medication or hospital visits.

Researchers found that individuals who displayed the greatest imbalance at the start of the study experienced the most pronounced improvements after receiving the therapy.

They suggest that in future it may be possible to identify who is most likely to benefit from the therapy, so it can be offered through a targeted approach.

tVNS therapy has previously been shown to have positive psychological effects for patients with depression, and this study shows it could also have significant physiological benefits.

Dr Susan Deuchars, one of the senior authors on the study, said: "We believe this stimulation can make a big difference to people's lives, and we're now hoping to conduct further studies to see if tVNS can benefit multiple disorders."

Further studies are now needed to understand what the long-term health effects of tVNS might be, as this study involved a small number of participants over a short time period.
  • Informative x 3

#2 mmats

• 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

Wow there is actually a consumer device already available for purchase, or optionally rent (only in UK) - https://www.parasym....timulation.html

Anyone in UK want to be a guinea pig?

Edited by mmats, 31 July 2019 - 05:10 PM.

• Informative x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:55 PM

£599 to buy or £39.99 per month. How long does the month's treatment provide benefit? Just under 15 month's rent would buy it.

#4 mmats

• 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

Its actually 3 month minimum for rental, so £120 vs £599 to buy.

Alternatively you could just buy the auricular clips and connect them to a TENS unit if you already have one. Question is - would results be the same?

https://bodyclock.co...ips-pack-of-10/

Edited by mmats, 31 July 2019 - 07:06 PM.

• Agree x 2

#5 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:06 PM

Don't waste your money on that overpriced equipment. You can get the same thing for a fraction of the cost. I jury rigged up an ear tickler using a tens unit I had. It cost me a whopping $25, you can get them on ebay for as little as $20. The ear clip they wanted some 33 pounds for (about $43) plus shipping no doubt can be bought much cheaper as well. I ordered the ear clips, cost me a whole $4 for a set of 2 including postage. So for less than they want for 1 clip alone I bought the whole thing main unit and all.

While I haven't gotten the electrode ear clips yet, just ordered them, I was able to use the pad that came with the tens unit on one side and bare probe on the other and tested it last night. I put one lead right on the tragus (ear flap) and the other on the back of the ear. Apparently the ear lobe will work fine as the second connection. I used scotch tape to keep them in place, lol. Its going to be hard to connect both to the tragus but I read on a site where the doctors tested the procedure and they connected to the tragus and the earlobe as the second connection.

Only 1 test so I didn't expect dramatic results but I plan to keep doing it. It will be a lot easier when I get the clips. They say to do it around 15 minutes a day for 2 weeks to expect improvement. What I felt was an odd sensation like being touched or tapped lightly. It seemed neither pleasant nor unpleasant. However when I turned up the intensity it became very prickly and uncomfortable so I turned it down right away. Did it for about 20 minutes

I plan to use it again tonight and will report back soon as I have some results to report. If anyone has questions about my setup feel free to ask. 

• Agree x 2
  • Informative x 1

#6 mmats

• 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:28 PM

Don't waste your money on that overpriced equipment. You can get the same thing for a fraction of the cost. I jury rigged up an ear tickler using a tens unit I had. It cost me a whopping $25, you can get them on ebay for as little as $20. The ear clip they wanted some 33 pounds for (about $43) plus shipping no doubt can be bought much cheaper as well. I ordered the ear clips, cost me a whole $4 for a set of 2 including postage. So for less than they want for 1 clip alone I bought the whole thing main unit and all.

While I haven't gotten the electrode ear clips yet, just ordered them, I was able to use the pad that came with the tens unit on one side and bare probe on the other and tested it last night. I put one lead right on the tragus (ear flap) and the other on the back of the ear. Apparently the ear lobe will work fine as the second connection. I used scotch tape to keep them in place, lol. Its going to be hard to connect both to the tragus but I read on a site where the doctors tested the procedure and they connected to the tragus and the earlobe as the second connection.

Only 1 test so I didn't expect dramatic results but I plan to keep doing it. It will be a lot easier when I get the clips. They say to do it around 15 minutes a day for 2 weeks to expect improvement. What I felt was an odd sensation like being touched or tapped lightly. It seemed neither pleasant nor unpleasant. However when I turned up the intensity it became very prickly and uncomfortable so I turned it down right away. Did it for about 20 minutes

I plan to use it again tonight and will report back soon as I have some results to report. If anyone has questions about my setup feel free to ask. 

Use it only on the left ear correct?

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:32 PM

Use it only on the left ear correct?

I used it on the right ear, you can use either. They say the right ear influences the heart and left is used for epilepsy. That doesn't give us much to go on but I have tachycardia and irregular beat so I went for that. BTW, I found acupuncture helped with that too.

The photo I saw on one site showed the positive electrode on the ear flap, (tragus) and the negative on the ear lobe (lobule). Not sure if that is important but I followed it just in case.

I set my tens at 20 hz and 50 micro seconds. Tonight I think I will raise it to 100 ms. I've seen from 20 to 35 hz recommended and 50 to 200 us. It feels like a twitch going across your ear

That british company and those like it are just simply ripping off the consumer. If others can sell it for less than 5% of what they want and still make a profit, that tells you something. They probably don't care if the client rents then runs off with it, the first month rent gives them a profit and you have to pay for 3 months. But greedy people will probably go after them anyway

#8 mmats

• 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:36 PM

I used it on the right ear, you can use either. They say the right ear influences the heart and left is used for epilepsy. That doesn't give us much to go on but I have tachycardia and irregular beat so I went for that. BTW, I found acupuncture helped with that too.

The photo I saw on one site showed the positive electrode on the ear flap, (tragus) and the negative on the ear lobe (lobule). Not sure if that is important but I followed it just in case.

I set my tens at 20 hz and 50 micro seconds. Tonight I think I will raise it to 100 ms. I've seen from 20 to 35 hz recommended and 50 to 200 us. It feels like a twitch going across your ear

That british company and those like it are just simply ripping off the consumer. If others can sell it for less than 5% of what they want and still make a profit, that tells you something. They probably don't care if the client rents then runs off with it, the first month rent gives them a profit and you have to pay for 3 months. But greedy people will probably go after them anyway

This study says "In order to avoid stimulation of fibers to the heart, tVNS is safe to be applied to the left but not the right ear"

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC6043681/

• Good Point x 1

#9 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:33 PM

I see where it says that but vagus nerve stimulation is parasympathetic, or calming rather than sympathetic or stimulating. Here is a quote from that site

"This finding indicates that tVNS enhances response selection processes when selection demands are particularly high. More generally, these results add to converging evidence that tVNS enhances action control performance."

This is hard to interpret in terms of stimulation, it seems to say it helps control performance. However, I will try it on the left too. I will be getting my clips tomorrow and will check my pulse rate which was down into normal range from acupuncture. If its further down then I won't worry about the warning but if its higher then perhaps its wise to switch to the left to see how that works.

This field, in particular ear stimulation is a new area and not a lot of work seems to have been done on it. Quite possibly they were being over cautious saying just use the left ear but it could be. Doctors tend to be over cautious about new things but the truth will come out eventually. Since the vagus is part of the parasympathetic system it would logically tend to regulate or reduce activity rather than stimulate. I did read someplace that it also lowers blood pressure

#10 mmats

• 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:31 AM

I see where it says that but vagus nerve stimulation is parasympathetic, or calming rather than sympathetic or stimulating. Here is a quote from that site

"This finding indicates that tVNS enhances response selection processes when selection demands are particularly high. More generally, these results add to converging evidence that tVNS enhances action control performance."

This is hard to interpret in terms of stimulation, it seems to say it helps control performance. However, I will try it on the left too. I will be getting my clips tomorrow and will check my pulse rate which was down into normal range from acupuncture. If its further down then I won't worry about the warning but if its higher then perhaps its wise to switch to the left to see how that works.

This field, in particular ear stimulation is a new area and not a lot of work seems to have been done on it. Quite possibly they were being over cautious saying just use the left ear but it could be. Doctors tend to be over cautious about new things but the truth will come out eventually. Since the vagus is part of the parasympathetic system it would logically tend to regulate or reduce activity rather than stimulate. I did read someplace that it also lowers blood pressure

It could be that doctors are overly cautious, but most studies I have seen specifically discourage VNS applied to the right vagus nerve. Just be careful.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5509631/

"The rationale for stimulating the left vagus nerve for TRD (or epilepsy) is that it innervates the AV node of the heart so as to have less of an effect on heart rate than the right vagus, which innervates the SA node."

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28386925

"The vagus nerve stimulator must be implanted with blunt technique on the left side to avoid cardiac side effects "

Edited by mmats, 08 August 2019 - 12:34 AM.

#11 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:40 AM

It could be that doctors are overly cautious, but most studies I have seen specifically discourage VNS applied to the right vagus nerve. Just be careful.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5509631/

"The rationale for stimulating the left vagus nerve for TRD (or epilepsy) is that it innervates the AV node of the heart so as to have less of an effect on heart rate than the right vagus, which innervates the SA node."

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28386925

"The vagus nerve stimulator must be implanted with blunt technique on the left side to avoid cardiac side effects "

Ok but I see them talking about epilepsy which is what they wanted to work on and they wanted the least effect on the heart. But if you are looking to lower the pulse rate or hoping to diminish irregular rhythms then you would not be interested in the effect on epilepsy, you would want the effect to be on the heart primarily. 

When they say "stimulate" the vagus, as you probably know, that does not mean stimulate the heart or other organs. It means the vagus will dampen and regulate the organ(s) it is connected to. 

Many people seem to have an out of adjustment hpa axis in which sympathetic action overrides parasympathetic. You could put it another way, they feel anxious, restless, have psd, depression and often have insomnia. These conditions are widespread just from reading the forums you will see a lot of complaints along those lines. This seems like potentially a way to bring balance to that axis.

Since it does not require surgery like the implanted vagus stimulator for epilepsy, that not only reduces the cost by a couple orders of magnitude but also eliminates post surgical complications, etc. Even if it was needed to use the device every day, if it gave a benefit that was only within reach using addictive drugs like benzos without the side effects, it would certainly be worth the time investment. The anecdotes and studies I've seen indicate it has a lasting effect so might only need an initial series and then perhaps a tune up once or twice a week

#12 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

Today I checked my bp and pulse rate after having done the right ear for several days. I was not sure what to expect, maybe nothing. However, my bp was 89 over 57 which is quite low for me. They say the lower the better, down to a point of course but low normal is considered very good and healthy. My pulse has been too high for years, after a month of acupuncture it went down to 98 which is within normal range but a bit high. Today it was 90, haven't seen that in years. The one thing I was not able to measure was irregularity of heartbeat, it takes a more complex machine (ekg) to measure that but the other indexes are super good

So the experiment was met with very good results and I do not believe its dangerous to do it on the right ear. However, I will say that too low bp can be bad also. You might faint standing up and get hurt falling. But most people are on the high side so if you are going to use this I recommend checking your stats on one of those free machines found in many grocery stores.

My ear electrode clips are arriving today so tonight I will try it on the left side. I don't really want to lower my bp any further, long as it stays around there I'm happy. But I got little in the way of relaxation or lowered stress and my insomnia seemed about the same. So I'm hoping that doing it on the left will help somewhat with that. If so it will be a great thing, I spend hundreds every year on sleep aids, most of them prescription but even buying overseas it adds up. I would love to be able to throw it all away and just use this. I will report back again after several days of testing on the left ear results

• like x 1

#13 Oakman

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:40 PM

The one thing I was not able to measure was irregularity of heartbeat, it takes a more complex machine (ekg) to measure that but the other indexes are super good

If you mean Heart Rate Variability (HRV) there are free apps that work on most smartphones, my favorite is HRV4Training. Put your finger over your camera lens and it will give you a reasonable HRV value in about a minute. It takes a bit of learning to use it and get consistent, reliable  readings, but once you master the method needed, it works quite well. I have used it for over a year, daily, and use the reading to judge exercise recovery and improvement in HRV for exercise. Because it is widely used, the app lets you see how your reading compare to the population of app users, sliced and diced by age and gender.

• Informative x 1

#14 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for the tip, Oakman. I bought the app and after a few false starts it showed numbers like 42 to 51 there abouts. Is that the hrv or is that the pulse rate? What sort of numbers should I see?

I put the electrodes on the left ear last night and felt more relaxed but nothing major. Slept alright but too soon to determine results. I will go down and test pulse and bp monday after 4 days of left ear. I will do it just before bedtime tonight.

• Informative x 1

#15 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:31 AM

Hi,

I was a little confused by the use of single polarity clips. 1 clip positive, and another negative. Many of the clips shown related to the tvns positioning showed negative and positive on single clips. For the Leeds 55 years or older study, they used 1 positive/minus clip on each ear. The positioning of an electrode on the earlobe in some images is the sham non-treatment location. Most images only show the gentleman's left ear, but the device shows two clips. Down towards the bottom, there is a short video clip showing the right ear also.

I do not know if other studies used simultaneous left/right stimulation.

https://www.examiner...d-slow-16668553

Edited by Heisok, 10 August 2019 - 01:53 AM.

#16 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

After 4 days of using the device on left ear, I went in and got my stats again. Pulse dropped from 90 to 86 which was nice. So it either does affect the heart or its a lingering effect from the right ear stimulation. However, blood pressure was up, 97 over 73 which is not bad but not as good as the previous reading of 89/57.

I felt relaxed after the left ear treatments but not a lot. I'm still trying to decide how much difference if any it made. But, they said in other studies that it took 2 weeks of daily use to show the benefits using it on the left ear. However 4 days was enough to dramatically lower my too high numbers using the right ear. I think I will continue doing it on the left and take readings about once a week or so. If bp or pulse get too high I will probably go back to the right ear for a time or two to bring them back down. I could do both but I want to isolate the effect of each ear.  I have been using pulse width of 100 micro seconds and rate of 20 hz but will be using 30 hz to see if it makes a difference.

Oakman, I have gotten no real results yet out of the hrv prog. Maybe after a few more days it will be able to tell me something. First time I tried it I got all kinds of high numbers like 80 then 105, 77, 92 etc. Second time the numbers were much lower, third time it was back to the high numbers. It would be nice if it showed pulse rate in addition to hvr.

I think the only danger of using the right ear is it could cause too low bp which might be a problem for some people. Keep in mind the results posted here are n=1 so do not rely on them for what results you may get. However, a little data is better than none at all and all we have right now is a couple scattered studies and a few self reports.

Edited by adamh, 12 August 2019 - 04:11 PM.

• Informative x 1

#17 Oakman

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:42 PM

Oakman, I have gotten no real results yet out of the hrv prog. Maybe after a few more days it will be able to tell me something. First time I tried it I got all kinds of high numbers like 80 then 105, 77, 92 etc. Second time the numbers were much lower, third time it was back to the high numbers. It would be nice if it showed pulse rate in addition to hvr.

It (HRV4Training) does show the HR. When you finish and it shows your reading, there are at the top three choices; namely Recovery Points, Heart Rate, and rMSSD. Just touch the one you want to see graphed for you.

And definitely, the results at times seem all over the place. The best we've found is to take the reading as soon as you wake in the morning, that is, keep your phone at your bedside.One thing that is totally weird, is to go the the bathroom upon waking and before taking the reading. I read somewhere that that helps stabilize the readings. And stranger still, it seems to. Also stay still and do regular breathing while taking the reading. What I also have come to do is take no more than three reading in the morning, stopping and keeping one that seems reasonable given prior days level and the amt of stress your body endured in the prior 24 hrs.

Over weeks and months the results show more pattern (thru the power of averaging) and give some help for indicating your level of prior day's stress (physical and mental). There is some interesting expaination on the HRV4Traing.com site that gives more insight in to the readings. Also make sure to look at the baseline readings after you've collected a good number of readings, and the population comparisons to see how your averages fit into the universe of people's results. Averages are always better indicators than individual day result, that's just how math and the process works.

Certainly these rough readings are not definitive, but do offer a windows into body/heart/vagus nerve health. For example, when I started August 2018, my averages were generally in the 50s for rMMSD, now after much effort to improve how and when I exercise, plus vagus nerve improvements steps I'm employing, I'm regularly in the 70-80 range. Days vary, but averages tell the tale! 

Edited by Oakman, 12 August 2019 - 10:45 PM.

• Informative x 1

#18 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:03 PM

I tried the left ear for about a week now and mixed results. I'm not sleeping any better, might be a little bit more relaxed but not a huge difference. About the only thing I noticed was I seem to be more motivated and have more energy. That was completely unexpected. But I noticed the change after doing the left ear so that must be it.

I took my stats again today and they were not as good. Pulse was higher also blood pressure was up, both in normal range but not as good as they were. I think I will go back to the right ear for a while and then perhaps switch each day since each side seems to give different results. 

Still can't get pulse rate from the hrv app

#19 Krell

• Guest, F@H
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

The picture in this article

https://eurekalert.o...php?from=436878

seems to show one electrode connected to the tragus, and the other

electrode is hidden, but it is not connected to the ear lobe, rather it seems

to be connected to the ear canal. 

So do we need to get an ear canal electrode to duplicate this study?

I have a TENS 7000 and I tested the polarity of the leads with a voltmeter

and found that the red lead was negative and the black lead was

positive.  That is using the TENS supplied cable, and it is opposite what I expected.

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B00NCRE4GO

I have the TENS ear clips that come with the accessory kit

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07NBLQWB1

and I had a hard time keeping the clip on my tragus in place.  In fact I

had to hold it in place to keep it from falling off due to gravity.

I have ordered some other ear clips from eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113846657753

I attached my TENS 7000 black (+) lead to my left ear tragus, and the red (-)

lead to my left ear lobe.

I found that the intensity setting knob on the TENS 7000 was pretty

hard to control.  2.0 was a very weak tickle, but 2.1 was like bee stings.

Anyhow, I survived 13 minutes of 100ms pulses @ 20 Hz and felt

a little woozy at the end, but slightly more motivated an hour later.

My blood pressure and heart rate tested normal for me, considering

I had just eaten lunch: 113/78, 81.

Tomorrow I will try TENS before my 8am tennis game to see if it improves my serve.

Vitals: 74yro, 185lb, 6ft, very fit.

• like x 1

#20 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

Krell, I posted this above, but here it is again.

For the Leeds 55 years or older study, they used 1 positive/minus clip on each ear. The positioning of an electrode on the earlobe in some images is the sham non-treatment location. Most images only show the gentleman's left ear, but the device shows two clips. Down towards the bottom, there is a short video clip showing the right ear also.

#21 Krell

• Guest, F@H
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:24 PM

Krell, I posted this above, but here it is again.

For the Leeds 55 years or older study, they used 1 positive/minus clip on each ear. The positioning of an electrode on the earlobe in some images is the sham non-treatment location. Most images only show the gentleman's left ear, but the device shows two clips. Down towards the bottom, there is a short video clip showing the right ear also.

Thanks Heisok!  That was very helpful.

This is what I think I see in this video

1. The device in the video looks like my TENS 7000, but with different writing on it.

2. The device in the video seems to have one clip that connects to the ear lobe and this is attached to a second electrode that rests on the tragus.

3. The red lead from the device in the video is connected to the ear tragus, and if the device is a TENS 7000, then the polarity is negative according to my measurement.

4. The black lead from the device in the video is connected to the ear lobe, and if the device is a TENS 7000, then the polarity is positive according to my measurement.

Or am I still confused?

I guess I will try to hack a similar dual electrode setup with one clip and two electrodes from some ebay ear clips.

#22 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:48 PM

If you look closely at the clips attached to their device, it shows both sides of the TENS unit being used. , each has a positive and negative connection to the clip. Follow the wires from each clip, and you will see that one is connected to one side of the TENS unit and the other is connected to the other side of the tens unit. Look above at the left side of the subject which is shown, and you can see the wire hanging down from the right side of his head.Then scroll down to the other photo which shows the right side. You have to be patient for the 22 second video to start, but he hooks 1 clip to each ear tragus flap.   Positive and negative on each clip attached to right and left ear tragus flaps, and controlled separately related to power by the tens unit.

Screenshot_2019-08-18 How tickling the ear could slow down the ageing process and improve health.png

EDITED as I was writing lobe, but meant the flap where the tragus nerve is.

Edited by Heisok, 18 August 2019 - 10:48 PM.

#23 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:03 PM

Clip visible.

Screenshot_2019-08-18 How tickling the ear could slow down the ageing process and improve health(1).png

#24 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:50 PM

I had an extra clip. I pushed out the pin holding the sides together. I put the two sides with the connections together, and attached them with a thin wire. I use orthodontic bands to give the clip the ability to firmly attach to the ear flap. My clips are narrower than most I have seen, so the bands might need to be a larger size.

adamh is having good results with their method, so what I am doing might be completely unnecessary

clip hack vagus.jpg

Edited by Heisok, 19 August 2019 - 06:54 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#25 Krell

• Guest, F@H
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

I had an extra clip. I pushed out the pin holding the sides together. I put the two sides with the connections together, and attached them with a thin wire. I use orthodontic bands to give the clip the ability to firmly attach to the ear flap. My clips are narrower than most I have seen, so the bands might need to be a larger size.

adamh is having good results with their method, so what I am doing might be completely unnecessary

attachicon.gif clip hack vagus.jpg

Nice hack!

When you say "ear flap", I assume you are applying your clip across the tragus lobe, not the ear lobe.

My understanding is that the vagus nerve is connected to the tissue around the tragus, but not

just the tragus.  I could be wrong about this.

So I am still unclear if it is best for tVNS to connect across both sides of the tragus with the +/- electrodes, or to

connect one electrode to the tragus and one to the ear lobe so as to stimulate a wider area of

vagus connected tissue.

I am on my third day of 15min/100us/20Hz tVNS between the tragus and the ear lobe with

a TENS 7000 set to about 2.1.  I did both ears yesterday, in separate sessions since I only have

1 pair of ear clips, with negative polarity on the tragus.  Today I am doing the both ears, with

positive polarity on the tragus.  Nothing new to report, slightly queasy during session, and slightly

energized afterwards.  I won my tennis game yesterday right after my tVNS session, but Federer

does not have to worry yet.

Edited by Krell, 20 August 2019 - 04:23 PM.

• like x 1

#26 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:53 PM

I tried changing to 15 minutes on each ear but lost benefits. Mood was lower and blood pressure (bp) went up though still within normal range, pulse was up too but not bad. So I went with 30 minutes left and 20 minutes right, mood was very good, bp today was 103/71 not bad and pulse 98, a bit more than I would like but not bad.

It seems that for me at least 30 minutes per side is best. When I did that first on the right ear I got a very low bp, near borderline low so I backed off the number of minutes but either doing it on the left also balances it a bit or the first reading was a fluke. I ordered another set of clips so I can do both ears at the same time. My tens unit has 2 channels.

This is fascinating, now we can dial up or down our own blood pressure without using drugs. We all know every drug has a side effect or three, but since this uses our endogenous parasympathetic nervous system, there should be no bad side effects. They say this also lowers inflammation which is well known to be a factor in aging and many diseases. I think this is an overlooked gem. I would like to see others try it and report their results. You can get all the equipment for anywhere from $25 to $35 or more depending on whether you want the 'deluxe' tens unit and high priced ear clips or go with the basic which is what I used.

Since it also works on depression and even elevates mood in non depressed patients, that is another area of interest. They found good results even on patients with refractory depression that had gotten little or no benefit from traditional anti depressant drugs. 

• Informative x 3
  • like x 1

#27 Krell

• Guest, F@H
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

I am on day 9 of tVNS: 15min/both ears/100us/20Hz/tragus-ear lobe/7:30am/daily before tennis.  I have not noticed any blood pressure or pulse effects.  Minor mood improvement maybe.  But there may be some improvement in my 8am tennis game right after tVNS sessions.

According to  https://www.ncbi.nlm...PMC6043681/#B15

Transcutaneous Vagus Nerve Stimulation (tVNS) Enhances Response Selection During Sequential Action

I may be seeing some "improved response selection" in my game.  Of course tennis doubles has a lot going on that is out of my control, such as my partner's serve, etc. but I do seem to be making more of my shots since I started tVNS, and winning more games.  This is hard to quantify.  And my tennis partners have not said anything like " Wow, you suddenly started playing like Federer!" yet.

Anyhow, based on the above article and its references, starting tomorrow I am going to try 15min/both ears/25Hz/250us/tragus-ear lobe/7:30am/daily stimulation for a week to see if this tVNS change will impact my tennis game favorably.

Edited by Krell, 26 August 2019 - 07:25 PM.

• Informative x 1

#28 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:32 PM

I found very limited benefit using 15 minutes each ear, went to 30 left and 15 right, mood picked up but bp and pulse did not improve. The last 4 days have been 30 minutes each side each day. Today my bp is 99/59 considered borderline low because diastolic is below 60 but definitely not a problem. My pulse is down to 84 which is great, for years I've had tachycardia with a pulse of 103 to 112 at rest. That is not a major problem but is not considered good at all.

My mood is good, I don't feel high or euphoric but neither am I experiencing any downs, I just feel very well all the time. This is noticeable since I did the ear treatments. BP and pulse went down with 30 minutes a day on right, went up some with 15 minutes though still within normal and went back down when I returned to 30 minutes per day on right. I would say that precludes any coincidence since I have not seen numbers like that before, not in decades at least.

Today my second set of ear electrodes is arriving and I will be able to do both sides at once. I don't play tennis but yesterday I played some poker at local casino and won nearly $700. I felt like I was playing well, for what its worth. Mood is great, as good as it gets without feeling outright euphoric though some good news or stimulating food can push me in that direction.

Studies have show an inverse relationship between bp and stroke, dementia, and cardiovascular problems. The lower the better down to a point. So called normal levels of 120 over 80 may not lead rapidly to disease so it is called ok but is far from optimal. Athletes typically have numbers even lower than my recent tests, but then I'm no athlete, lol. This may be the holy grail of getting exercise benefits without have to actually, you know, exercise. I'm not knocking exercise, its is very good and in more ways than just your cardio stats.

• Informative x 2

#29 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:32 PM

As a little followup to my last report, I have been using it on each ear for 30 minutes per day every day. Today I checked and stats were 99/65 and pulse 85. BP has varied from a high of about 107/75 to as low as 89/57 after I first started using it. That was a little low but I had no symptoms of low bp, no dizziness, lethargy or difficulty thinking. 

If this was a new pill, I think people would be knocking down the doors trying to get it. But since its a strange sounding new thing, the interest is very low. Its like the way acupuncture took decades to catch on and it still looked at as a little weird, a kind of niche thing. There is also the reluctance to try anything new and especially anything that isn't a drug.

High bp is a major cause of disease. People may not die directly from it but they die from cardio vascular disease and stroke, hypertension is a major contributing factor to those diseases. It also raises your risk a lot for dementia. For around $25 to no more than $45 or so you can get a tens and the clips. A trip to the doctor costs more than that and then you have to fill the prescription and deal with side effects. How many times have you gone to the doc and he didn't help at all but you still had to pay?

Its also used for depression with good results. My mood has been constantly good, not that I never get mad or tired but it seems to zap anxiety and any low feeling. They say it reduces inflammation, another major cause of disease. I read one doctors page where he said its good for ms, fibro and other things. 

I'm not going to keep flogging it if no one else seems interested. If you have tried it post here or if you have questions one of us may be able to answer them

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#30 wim2

• Registrant
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

Hello,

I am trying to use the Tens device correctly, for this I have put the ear clips as follows:
-positive from Tens to ear tragus.
-negative from Tens to ear lobe.
In the left ear, in the right ear or in both ears.
I have also used it the other way around:
-positive from Tens to ear lobe.
-negative from Tens to ear tragus.

All with a frequency of 20Hz and 100uS.
I don't get very good results, can I be wrong?

Thank you very much and greetings.

wim2

Edited by wim2, 18 November 2019 - 06:02 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aging, electrical current, vagus nerve, autonomic nervous system

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users