• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Why do men have more heart problems than women do?

heart health gender men women

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:21 PM

I was looking at a study that showed men are twice as likely to suffer from some type of heart condition than women are, and that the fact was not explained by higher cholesterol, blood pressure or hormone levels necessarily though these factors are still very important for overall outcome and health-span.

Could it simply be stress? 

I wonder if CRP is a co-factor and if this at any time during the study was measured. 

I do know that CRP, the marker of bodily inflammation is correlated with risk factors of ALL diseases.

Thoughts?

Edited by TheFountain, 31 October 2019 - 11:22 PM.

#2 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:57 AM

Bump!

#3 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:19 PM

higher testosterone more aggression = more stress on organs

• Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 03:38 AM

higher testosterone more aggression = more stress on organs

So, are you correlating testosterone with heart problems? That's odd I have never heard that before. I would think lower levels of testosterone are bad for overall mens health. 

#5 davejam

• 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:04 PM

One plausible theory is Iron.  Men tend to accumulate iron from a younger age than women (because menstruation).

Hence its important to track blood ferritin.  I'm not sure if there is any consensus on that on this board or otherwise.

• Needs references x 1

#6 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:26 PM

less estrogen?

#7 joesixpack

• 457 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:56 AM

Bump!

From life experience, not scientific, women tend to not show the same symptoms of serious heart disease that men do. So, men get treated earlier than women. While many men survive heart attacks, women often do not. This could be for the same reason.

This seems to be changing with modern concerns about concentrating on female health.

• unsure x 1

#8 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

Women start out with the perception that beauty is an important success attribute which is not so prevalent in males.  Women have an incentive to follow healthier diets to maintain their competitive advantage over others.  At this stage there is a great interest in different diets, eating regimens and supplements.  Thus the overall shift of the curve towards a healthier heart lifestyle.  Once menopause takes effect this incentive is reduced considerably, but sometimes the dietary habits remain.

Men on the other hand have a perception about performance (speed, strength, agility) as an important success attribute.  Men tend to follow diets high in energy that generate the calories needed for high performance.  Unfortunately these diets are exactly the ones that cause heart problems in the long run.  These dietary habits are often difficult to change as life goes on and lead to serious congestive problems.

There are non-competitive males and females that don't fall into these categories of behavior.  Also as people get older, or get married they tend to fall out of these diverse behaviors and follow similar diets (mostly unhealthy).   I think that people that realize how their diets are affecting their health can move into healthier lifestyles, but it's a significant effort to make the change.

• Needs references x 1

#9 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:55 AM

Rejection?

• Needs references x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#10 shroomsupplementer

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:46 AM

I think that men make a lot more unhealthy life choices. Combine that with anger problems, which also leads to unhealthy eating habits (not to mention that women tend to try to be thin, hence avoiding most unhealthy foods and overeating in general), and you've got yourself a heart condition. Let's not forget smoking and vaping (have you seen the recent study?), as well as higher alcohol consumption on average. Also illegal drug consumption tends to be higher in men, and let's face it, no stimulant is good for your heart.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#11 Rosanna

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:05 AM

lack of oestrogen in men.  Oestrogen protects the endothelium.  

• Needs references x 2
  • Agree x 1

#12 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:11 PM

I think it’s psychological too.

A lot of men, including me, won’t go to the doctor unless it’s an emergency. While women generally tend to go to the doctors with their health concerns more often.

So it could be men get checked up less than women which could lead to being undiagnosed and taking preventative measures, thus worsening the problem over time.

#13 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:52 PM

Higher red meat consumption.

J Nutr. 2014 Mar; 144(3): 359–366.

Dietary Iron Intake and Body Iron Stores Are Associated with Risk of Coronary Heart Disease in a Meta-Analysis of Prospective Cohort Studies
Jacob Hunnicutt, Ka He, and Pengcheng Xun

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3927548/

#14 MichaelFocus22

• 331 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:52 AM

1. It's because of testerone increases your aggression levels while estrogen is generally a neuroprotective agent that apparently delays the aging process in women before they go to menopause.  That's why women always outlive on average generally speaking.

• Needs references x 2

#15 Halftime

• Registrant
  • 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:34 PM

Generally speaking, masculinity is indoctrinated into most men at a young age.

One would think that it isn't off base to assume that this masculinity inherently causes men to engage in more risk-taking behaviors, and thus generates more stress over the long-term.

A key facet of masculinity is the lack of weakness - which as others have said would cause genuine health problems to be overlooked and allow those to remain causal for negative outcomes.

That, and I've seen the gender distribution at the local McDonald's during rush hour.

• Needs references x 1
  • unsure x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#16 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:35 AM

One plausible theory is Iron.  Men tend to accumulate iron from a younger age than women (because menstruation).

Hence its important to track blood ferritin.  I'm not sure if there is any consensus on that on this board or otherwise.

How does Blood Ferritin effect heart health? Please be more specific. 

#17 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:53 PM

Estrogen is very good for the heart and cardiovascular health. My 75 year old father took it and it normalized his blood pressure, also good for the brain

• Needs references x 1

#18 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:30 AM

Does Nattokinase help raise Estrogen levels?

#19 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2022 - 12:35 AM

Health affects mental health and women have smaller hearts but their hearts usually beats more this further confirms that their immune system is better and their emotional center (the heart) is higher meaning more emotional which could be contributing to this higher heartrate this can explain why a better immune system is needed for their mind.

Edited by kurdishfella, 17 May 2022 - 12:36 AM.

• Needs references x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heart health, gender, men, women

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users