- - - - -

Rapamycin to (semi?)Permanently Lower Bodyweight

rapamycin

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sub7

• 304 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:23 AM

This particular research had been very briefly discussed before, but not in a dedicated thread -it merely came up as one of the features of Rapamycin

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4008417/

However, this is extremely impressive. After just a single administration of Rapamycin, the bodyweight of rats was permanently reduced . The animals were not followed up till their death, so how long this effect would last in unclear. However results are long lasting at the very least.

In other words, the bodyweight set-point was lowered.

Another unknown is whether a low dose (like you'd use for longevity purposes) would achieve the same effect. 

Since we got a number of people using Rapa, I was wondering if anyone has achieved permanent or long-lasting weight reduction from it. Please also mention your dosing scheme if you did.

Thanks

#2 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:37 AM

No loss at all after about 3 months. I started with 1.25 mg a week and now I'm at about 2mg per week. But I do like the other effects I can see including reduction in arthritic discomfort, also I seem to be putting on muscle without really any extra exercise. 

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:34 PM

My setpoint changed by about 6-9 pounds lower after about 6 months use. Still steady 3 years later. 

• Informative x 1

#4 sub7

• Topic Starter
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:48 AM

My setpoint changed by about 6-9 pounds lower after about 6 months use. Still steady 3 years later. 

Would you mind sharing how you dosed?
When did the weight loss start? Over how long a period did you lose the weight? Was there any change in appetite?

Thank you very much for your contribution to the discussion.

#5 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

Remember these rats we injected with Rapa.  Big difference vs oral.  Gastric system and liver really do a number on oral rapa.  I would like to see someone inject it and then look for results.

#6 sub7

• Topic Starter
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:10 PM

Remember these rats we injected with Rapa.  Big difference vs oral.  Gastric system and liver really do a number on oral rapa.  I would like to see someone inject it and then look for results.

But you have yourself experienced weight loss with oral Rapamycin, haven't you?

I think you mentioned in one of the other threads, no?

#7 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:29 AM

I just happened to think that I noticed more firmness in my muscles after starting the rapamycin. It could well be that I lost fat but gained muscle which would tend to mask the fat loss so I will not say positively it had no effect. If I get more muscle and weigh the same or more I will be happy if the fat seems to be shrinking at the same time. I have not gotten to the 6 month mark yet so I'm sure there will be more to see.

I should have thought about that when I was disappointed in the weight staying about the same, because I felt stronger and when I feel the muscles in my shoulders and other places I'm pleased by what I found. I should have considered that fact along side the apparent lack of change in weight. I think getting into shape along with fat loss should be the thing to look at rather than just the balance scale.

My mood has been good and joint pain has gone down. Others have noticed this as well in their trials. My bad back which has bothered me for over 1.5 years since an injury has improved a lot too during the rapa trial. It may be coincidence but maybe not

Weight loss is not everything

• Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1

#8 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

I found that after 3 rounds of fasting mimicking diet in 3 months\, my set point went down by about 3 kg.

Use of rapamycin (3-4mg every 10 days) before and after didn't produce any noticeable weight loss, nor did 15mg of rapamycin. I still plan to try 25mg which some people have reported to change the set point, but so far fasting mimicking seems the best bet.

• Informative x 1

#9 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:43 PM

I've been on Rapa for three years at about 3mg a week. Weight loss started at 6 months and has basically reset my weight set point. I believe it's due to reduced hunger. 

• Informative x 1

#10 sub7

• Topic Starter
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

I've been on Rapa for three years at about 3mg a week. Weight loss started at 6 months and has basically reset my weight set point. I believe it's due to reduced hunger. 

Very interesting

Did the reduced hunger start at around 6 months? Or did it start earlier, but the reduced weight on the scale register after some time?

Thanks much

#11 YOLF

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:02 AM

Possible side effects of single RAP injection

Since chronic RAP administration is known to induce glucose intolerance [6][15][16][17], we conducted a glucose tolerance test two weeks after single injection of RAP (10 mg/kg i.p., n = 8) or VEH (n = 7). There was no difference in the fasting blood glucose or response to glucose challenge between the two groups (Fig.3A). Furthermore, in a separate cohort of animals (n = 5 each), we found no difference in non-fasting blood glucose levels at 2-week post-injection (Fig.3B). Therefore, a single RAP injection does not appear to influence glucose homeostasis long-term, unlike the glucose tolerance that develops with daily administrations of RAP over a 2-week period, as shown previously [6][15][16][17].

Actually sounds pretty scary given the following possibility:

Glucose intolerance (a hallmark of diabetes) is increased, but due to the lowered food intake, it is not shown... further experimentation with regenerative medicines could restore previous appetite levels and thus trigger pathologies leading to diabetes.

• Ill informed x 1

#12 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:17 PM

Actually sounds pretty scary given the following possibility:

Glucose intolerance (a hallmark of diabetes) is increased, but due to the lowered food intake, it is not shown... further experimentation with regenerative medicines could restore previous appetite levels and thus trigger pathologies leading to diabetes.

That was at daily administration.

Will the glucose intolerance develop at (once) weekly dosing though ?That's what has been practiced by most people here.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 YOLF

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:57 AM

That was at daily administration.

Will the glucose intolerance develop at (once) weekly dosing though ?That's what has been practiced by most people here.

Sorry let me rephrase my concern:

Glucose intolerance (a hallmark of diabetes) is increased, but due to the lowered food intake, it is not obvious as it comes with it's own bandaid... further experimentation with regenerative medicines could restore previous appetite levels and thus trigger pathologies leading to diabetes.

Though as I understand it, the obsolete antibiotic Doxycycline is a cure for diabetes, at least in cancer patients due to it's fibroblast growth factor activities and stem cells rejuvenation. I suppose diabetes is less of a threat these days... 

Perhaps Rapa could also be taken with Benfotiamine and P5P to reduce the risk of developing hidden diabetic pathologies?

• Ill informed x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rapamycin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users