Protecting from Coronavirus - Supplements & Therapies

coronavirus flu disease epidemics viruses immunity covid-19

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3083 replies to this topic

#2071 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:51 PM

Regarding remdesivir, they had to come up with something, and that something couldn't be a widely available outpatient med or it would jeopardize the vaccine Emergency Use Authorization which specifically states there must be no readily available alternative.  Remdesivir fits perfectly.  Inpatient/IV, doesn't work well, & very expensive.  This is why everyone will have to get their SARS shot as soon as Big Pharma can get their EUA.  .  

The tragedy is, if you could get it into patients veins within 48 hours of symptom onset (like Trump got), it actually might be quite helpful.  

I wonder if the experimental monoclonal antibody therapy that Trump got wasn't really the magic bullet.  That should be a very sound approach that should just work.  In fact, I've been wondering when someone was going to go after that route.

• Agree x 2
  • unsure x 1

#2072 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:10 PM

Dr Marik touched on the monoclonal antibody therapies.  Pointed out the viral replication phase only lasted around a week after symptom onset.  Like remdesivir, it might be helpful, but only if given within the first 48 hours or so (like Trump got).  Also another inpatient / IV therapy.  Current COVID protocol is to sit at home & take Tylenol.  Call 911 if you start turning blue. 

We need a good outpatient therapeutic that's cheap enough to give to everyone, whether they are high risk or not. Can't wait to see if ivermectin gets the HCQ treatment and all prescriptions, sale & veterinary use is banned.  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 29 October 2020 - 09:14 PM.

• Agree x 1

#2073 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:24 PM

Of course Trump got both remdesivir and monoclonal antibody therapy very early.  I'll bet he was getting tested every day and they caught it before symptoms appeared.

Don't hold your breath on the FDA getting excited about investigating and supporting ivermectin.  As an agency they have as close to zero interest in off patent approved drugs as is practically possible.

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 29 October 2020 - 10:50 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 2

#2074 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:42 AM

Interesting ... There is a lot on spermidine on LC. Now here we have an EU funded project to look at it as immune boosting specifically for C19.

Do we have a reliable source? Are you already taking it?

https://eit.europa.e...gainst-covid-19

• unsure x 1

#2075 Rays

• 72 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 10:56 AM

I wonder if the experimental monoclonal antibody therapy that Trump got wasn't really the magic bullet.  That should be a very sound approach that should just work.  In fact, I've been wondering when someone was going to go after that route.

I wonder how AbbVie is doing with their fully human, neutralizing antibody that they called "extremely promising":

https://news.abbvie....at-covid-19.htm

#2076 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:39 PM

Lactoferrin back in the news. 

file:///home/chronos/u-3eb91ea958ff0d91e3487b82dff1ebd4db1641a7/MyFiles/Downloads/LactoferrinWOW.pdf

Pleiotropic effect of Lactoferrin in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 infection: randomized clinical trial, in vitro and in silico preliminary evidences

Abstract: 

The current treatments against SARS-CoV-2 have proved so far inadequate. A potent antiviral drug is yet to be discovered. Lactoferrin, a multifunctional glycoprotein, secreted by exocrine glands and neutrophils, possesses an antiviral activity extendable to SARS-Cov-2. We performed a randomized, prospective, interventional study assessing the role of oral and intra-nasal lactoferrin to treat mild-to-moderate and asymptomatic COVID-19 patients to prevent disease evolution. Lactoferrin induced an early viral clearance and a fast clinical symptoms recovery in addition to a statistically significant reduction of D-Dimer, Interleukin-6 and ferritin blood levels. The antiviral activity of lactoferrin related to its binding to SARS-CoV-2 and cells and protein-protein docking methods, provided the direct recognition between lactoferrin and spike S, thus hindering the spike S attachment to the human ACE2 receptor and consequently virus entering into the cells. Lactoferrin can be used as a safe and efficacious natural agent to prevent and treat COVID-19 infection.

---------------------------------

Looks like they were using a liposomal formula?  

"The scheduled dose treatment of liposomal bLf for oral use was 1gr per day for 30 days (10 capsules per day) in addition to the same formulation intranasally administered 3 times daily".

Haven't heard of this.  

Interesting iron chelation/sequestration appears to dominate the therapeutic effect?  Quercetin & Curcumin our other natural chelators.  

The pleiotropic activity of Lf is mainly based on its four different functions: to chelate two ferric iron per molecule, interact with anionic molecules, enter inside the nucleus and modulate iron homeostasis. The ability to chelate two ferric ions per molecule is associated to the inhibition of reactive oxygen species formation and the sequestration of iron, which is important for bacterial and viral replication and is at the basis of the antibacterial and antiviral activity of Lf. The binding to the anionic surface compounds, thanks to its cationic feature, is associated to the host protection against bacterial and viral adhesion and entry. The entrance inside host cells and the translocation into the nucleus is related to the anti-inflammatory activity of Lf and its ability to modulate iron homeostasis perturbed by viral infection and inflammation. As matter of fact, iron homeostasis involves several iron proteins such as transferrin, ferroportin, hepcidin and ferritin the disorders of which, induced by inflammation, lead to intracellular iron overload and viral replication. Moreover, Lf seems to regulate the activation of plasminogen and control coagulation cascade with a remarkable antithrombotic activity, a very frequent complication of SARS-CoV2. In addition to all these abilities, Lf, as above reported, inhibits the early phase of SARS-CoV12 and post-infection phase of SARS-CoV-2 probably through the binding to HSPGs or to viral particles. 

Edited by Dorian Grey, 30 October 2020 - 09:53 PM.

• Informative x 2

#2077 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 04:12 AM

Argentina Ivermectin study gets good results dosing at 600mcg/kg.  Starting the video at 6:10 where they cover the study.

https://youtu.be/LjSezLORshw?t=370

600mcg/kg is THREE TIMES the normal/typical dose for IVM, so surprised to see this.  Says something about the safety of the standard 150-200mcg/kg dosing though.  Don't know if I'd want to go over 200mcg/kg, but learning more about this remarkable med every day.  

• Informative x 1

#2078 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 09:11 PM

Lactoferrin back in the news. 

file:///home/chronos/u-3eb91ea958ff0d91e3487b82dff1ebd4db1641a7/MyFiles/Downloads/LactoferrinWOW.pdf

This is a local file link. Do you have a URL?

• Cheerful x 1

#2079 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 09:49 PM

This is a local file link. Do you have a URL?

Don't know why my hyperlink didn't fly, but if you google the title:

Pleiotropic effect of Lactoferrin in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 infection: randomized clinical trial, in vitro and in silico preliminary evidences

The full pdf should be the second result.  

#2080 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 01:55 AM

Absolutely it was the antibody therapy , the President being 74 and overweight, very encouraging.  Like the updated Ivermectin protocol from Peru, hopefully it becomes mainstream soon.

More info on nebulizing hydrogen peroxide (use FOOD GRADE 1%-3% and distilled water), video published back in April, but the DR was doing it much earlier.

Start in at 2:05 for the meat of it.

Same guy, different interview

Also found some videos on nebulizing glutathione+NAC(we discussed this several page back), very cool.

Little easier on the eyes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9sGxhhzOjA

Edited by Gal220, 01 November 2020 - 02:02 AM.

• Informative x 1

#2081 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2020 - 04:55 PM

IVERMECTIN PROPHYLAXIS DOSAGE - ADDENDUM

The IVERCAR prophylactic trial in Argentina had brilliant results, but all we have is an informal report, not even a publication draft. It was prophylaxis for health workers.  Trial Site News cautions that because the findings are so dramatic, it is important to wait for at least a draft of formal peer-reviewable publication,  The arms were standard prophylaxis and ppe vs. standard prophylaxis and ppe with ivermectin drops and carrageenan nasal spray (now sold outside of US for colds, I bought some from ebay).  Carrageenan, extracted from red algae, is used in foodstuffs.  It coats tissue and is antiviral.  

In the control group of 407, 58% became infected;  in the treatment group of 788, zero became infected.

Initial treatment plan was 5 times a day:
spray carrageenan once in each nostril, 
and four sprays in the mouth;
take one drop of Ivercass (Ivermectin liquid drops), 
one drop of Ivercass = 200 mcg of Ivermectin.  
In this first shorter-duration? first trial, 7% of the control group became infected, and zero percent of the treatment group.
https://clinicaltria...ow/NCT04425850 (first run - 11% ? of control group infected)

Recall that the deworming dose for Ivermectin is 150-200 mcg/kg.  The total weekly dose of ivermectin on this first regimen is 7 mg (less than the standard deworming dose of 12 mg for someone of average weight.)

They "optimized" their regimen so as reduce  carrageenan to four times a day, and to replace the 5 drops of Ivermectin a day with a single weekly 12 mg dose.  The control and treatment figures of 58% vs, 0 % are from this second run. Rationale (machine-translated):  
Ivermectin will be taken at the rate of 12 mg (2 tablets or 60 drops) only once a week, and will be repeated for up to 10 weeks.  If the incubation period of COVID 19 is 5 to 6 days, and the effect of a single dose of Ivermectin is maintained for 3 to 4 days (implying a reduction in the inoculum to 5% of the too scarce to produce disease but enough to develop immunity from antibody generation), repetition of monodose in periods of time appropriate sequential and for a pre-established limited time, would give the guest a level of acceptable immunity against infection, thus generating a "vaccine effect".

Rationale for carrageenan nasal spray (machine translated):
Carrageenan has been used for centuries as a thickening agent and food stabilizer…. In patients treated with carrageenan nasally, to viral tables of V.A.S., a significant reduction in the duration of the nearly 2 days (p <0.05), as well as significantly fewer relapses 21 days of observation period (p <0.05).  In these studies, the presence of common cold viruses had been confirmed, with three main subtypes of viruses: human rhinovirus (46%), human coronavirus (25%) influenza A virus (14%). Carrageenan nasal spray showed significant antiviral efficacy in all three subgroups of viruses. The greatest effectiveness was observed in patients infected with the human corona virus. The reduced duration of the disease was 3 days (p <0.01) and the number of relapses was three times lower (p < 0.01) in those infected with carrageenan-treated coronavirus (p <0.01), compared to the control patients.

• Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#2082 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2020 - 05:16 PM

Also found some videos on nebulizing glutathione+NAC(we discussed this several page back), very cool.

I'd recommend doing nebulization with some kind of medical professional, esp. with hydrogen peroxide.  I've nebulized glutathione on my own a number of times.  I don't recommend, it can irritate the lungs; and liposomal oral is pretty effective.    Glutathione is acidic, if you nebulize it, be sure it is buffered!  Not necessarily this product, but it or one like it.  With bicarbonate.  

https://www.theranat...rity-grade.html

• Informative x 1

#2083 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for this bladedmind.  For all you do, we salute you!

Wonder if there is any downside to extended IVM use?  Looks like the Winter is going to be a fine mess. 

I'm expecting a Halloween party spike to show up in the next couple of weeks, similar to what happened after Memorial day & July 4.  Europe & UK already going back to lockdown.  I expect USA will be there by Thanksgiving, particularly if Trump loses the election.  He may not care about the economy anymore if he's given the boot.  Scorched earth!  

• dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2084 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 05:32 PM

Absolutely it was the antibody therapy , the President being 74 and overweight, very encouraging. Like the updated Ivermectin protocol from Peru, hopefully it becomes mainstream soon.

More info on nebulizing hydrogen peroxide (use FOOD GRADE 1%-3% and distilled water), video published back in April, but the DR was doing it much earlier.

Start in at 2:05 for the meat of it.

https://www.youtube....h?v=2j-meqGYrKw

Same guy, different interview

https://www.youtube....h?v=_FqITndW4-U

https://www.youtube....h?v=e7IZwyHFg60

Little easier on the eyes...

https://www.youtube....h?v=u9sGxhhzOjA

Thanks for posting that. My question would be can I simply dissolve reduced glutathione powder in water and put it in this ultrasonic diffuser and get a similar effect? (for a couple hundred dollars less)

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.c...4253941&sr=8-10

#2085 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 02:13 AM

Thanks for posting that. My question would be can I simply dissolve reduced glutathione powder in water and put it in this ultrasonic diffuser and get a similar effect? (for a couple hundred dollars less)

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.c...4253941&sr=8-10

Sounds like you take the reduced glutathione, add small amount of baking soda(sodium bicarbonate), and distilled water - wala.

Example of mixing

The glutathione in first video uses 200mg glutahione to 55 milgrams of sodium bicarbonate.

On hydrogen peroxide, here is the protocol of one nurse.  I have already tried it it myself, very easy to do.

"Ok folks. As a nurse, I'm currently on the front lines of this virus and how I keep myself from getting it is as follows:

A) 1/2 teaspoon of 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide added to 1 teaspoon of filtered water.

B) Add the above to a nebulizer cup chamber. Be sure to use a face mask that covers your mouth and nose

C) Nebulize for five minutes every time you get exposed.

My routine involves once before work and once right when I get home. At lunch I take the same mixture above (4x the amount) and place into a nasal bottle. I squirt my nose and mouth once at lunch time. The corona virus breaks down at less than 0.5% h202 strength so the above recipe works well. At the first sign of cold, flu, bronchitis, pneumonia etc...do the above 4X a day for several days.

Share this with others. It works - turn off the tv....juice, exercise, laugh. - don't get stressed - be empowered."

Edited by Gal220, 02 November 2020 - 02:14 AM.

• Informative x 1

#2086 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 04:48 AM

Selenium appears to be important in addition to zinc:

Prediction of survival odds in COVID-19 by zinc, age and selenoprotein P as composite biomarker

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/33126054/

... we tested the prevalence of a combined deficit, i.e., serum Zn below 638.7 μg/L and serum SELENOP below 2.56 mg/L. This combined deficit was observed in 0.15% of samples in the EPIC cohort of healthy subjects, in 19.7% of the samples collected from the surviving COVID-19 patients and in 50.0% of samples from the non-survivors. Accordingly, the composite biomarker (SELENOP and Zn with age) proved as a reliable indicator of survival in COVID-19 by receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve analysis, yielding an area under the curve (AUC) of 94.42%. We conclude that Zn and SELENOP status within the reference ranges indicate high survival odds in COVID-19, and assume that correcting a diagnostically proven deficit in Se and/or Zn by a personalised supplementation may support convalescence.

• Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#2087 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 06:49 PM

is there a write-up for supplements / OTC medication in case of infection (preferably with dosages)? I suppose we are still at vit D & C, zinc, NAC, melatonine. maybe low-dose aspirine?

Edited by shp5, 02 November 2020 - 06:49 PM.

#2088 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:42 PM

is there a write-up for supplements / OTC medication in case of infection (preferably with dosages)? I suppose we are still at vit D & C, zinc, NAC, melatonine. maybe low-dose aspirine?

What I would do

Beyond normal vitamin regimen(multi, teaspoon cod oil, calc/mag, LEF Health booster) + mushroom extract + quercetin + melatonin

1. nebulize 1% FOOD GRADE hydrogen peroxide, diluted from 12% using DISTILLED WATER , see posts above
2. Add Natto for blood clots, arthur andrew medical and jarrow are good options. (EVMS recommends aspirin)
3. Add NAC and glutathione for lungs - I think nebulizing would be best.
4. Extra vitamin C
5. Honeysuckle tea from CUSA, antiviral maybe(not sure if this contains the MIR2911, but Im a big tea drinker anyway so worth a shot)

Im sure there are some here ready to take Ivermectin, EVMS is recommending it per the discussion in the last 2 pages.

"Mildly Symptomatic patients (at home): - Ivermectin 150-200 ug/kg daily for two doses"

some other websites

StopCovidCold

Linkedin consensus protocol

Edited by Gal220, 02 November 2020 - 07:42 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • like x 1

#2089 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2020 - 12:16 AM

Here’s an instructive new webinar, long interview and Q&A with Dr. McCullough, leading early home treatment advocate - with some details about rationale, dosage, and pacing of his treatment algorithm.  He is speaking from home, diagnosed with CV-19 the day before, and there is guest appearance by street-level physician Brian Tyson of El Centro, CA, also sick at home with a new case of CV-19.  Tyson has treated 3000 patients with 3 hospitalizations.  

Notes.  Home treatment reduces deaths and reduces burden on the medical system.  American public discourse, led by health authorities, is 90% about contagion control, 5% late stage treatment, 5% vaccine.  Zero discussion of home treatment - even though it is a strong component of response in a good number of countries.  Fauci:  “Wait in fear for development of a vaccine.” 

McCullough:  “What medical condition with 12% mortality do we refrain from treating before hospitalization?  None!”   “Proven efficacy and acceptable safety” criterion requires 10-20 years of trials with 10 to 20 thousand participants.  We can’t wait.  Instead, apply “reasonable chance of success with emergency use of multiple drugs with well characterized safety” criterion.   '

Yay for vaccine, but winter explosion of is coming on, vaccines will take a while and won’t  be universally efficacious.  Save lives now.  McC:  Sick people being told there is no treatment contributes a great deal to social anxiety.   Tyson:  I can tell a 9-year old girl that her sickness won't kill her grandparents.  

#Tratamiento Temprano claims to represent 1700 doctors and researchers, seems mostly Latin American.   Home Treatment in English.  https://tratamientotemprano.org/

Principles:  1. Provide Ivermectin in patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 after the first symptoms have developed; 2. Apply the same covid-19 early treatment to all nearby contacts.

They have a Facebook page, Ivermectin MD Team.  But it is blocked.  https://www.facebook...595465843801899

The neglect of home treatment is baffling.  Why is it ignored, almost forbidden, in the US and Europe, but a crucial component in many middle and low income countries?  Why are burdensome, costly, and harmful lockdowns imposed without evidence of “proven efficacy and acceptable safety,” but home treatment denied because not of “proven efficacy and acceptable safety”?  Hypothesis:  strength of pharmaceutical lobby predicts neglect of home treatment and its repurposing of pre-existing therapeutics.  

Edited by bladedmind, 03 November 2020 - 12:31 AM.

• like x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#2090 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 03:36 AM

Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the vaccines demand: "there must be no adequate, approved, and available alternative to the candidate product for diagnosing, preventing, or treating the disease or condition."

Any outpatient therapeutic would jeopardize the vaccine EUA and decrease vaccine compliance, therefore, there must be NO functioning/approved outpatient therapeutic tolerated until the vaccines are launched.

Frankly, I'm astonished the entire media & medical system is falling into line and going with the flow on this. It's so implausible, you couldn't write this scenario into a science fiction movie. People would laugh at you.

What will really be interesting is if the vaccines run into trouble or are ineffective. Sooner or later, we're going to have to start treating our patients.

• Agree x 1

#2091 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:41 AM

Well you know its been a good day when you muster a dangerous irresponsible on Longecity.

Think I will nebulize some h202, sip some cusa tea, and call it a night.

• Cheerful x 1

#2092 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:19 AM

Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the vaccines demand: "there must be no adequate, approved, and available alternative to the candidate product for diagnosing, preventing, or treating the disease or condition."

Any outpatient therapeutic would jeopardize the vaccine EUA and decrease vaccine compliance, therefore, there must be NO functioning/approved outpatient therapeutic tolerated until the vaccines are launched.

Wow, that seems unbelievable.   So, we're going to deny therapeutics because supported by less than ideal evidence (thereby killing a few hundred thousand people) in order to eventually deliver a riskier vaccine supported by less than ideal evidence?  If so, that implies a huge motive to suppress evidence and practice anywhere that identifies existing drugs as successful therapeutics.   

Were these rules decreed by a vengeful deity, or were they made by humans who could choose to change them?  

• Good Point x 2

#2093 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 02:17 PM

some other websites

Linkedin consensus protocol

thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

• Agree x 1

#2094 Iporuru

• 216 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 05:00 PM

Immune-Boosting, Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory Food Supplements Targeting Pathogenesis of COVID-19

fimmu-11-570122-g001.jpg

fimmu-11-570122-t001.jpg

• like x 3
  • Informative x 3
  • WellResearched x 1

#2095 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 05:19 PM

Here’s an instructive new webinar, long interview and Q&A with Dr. McCullough, leading early home treatment advocate - with some details about rationale, dosage, and pacing of his treatment algorithm.  He is speaking from home, diagnosed with CV-19 the day before, and there is guest appearance by street-level physician Brian Tyson of El Centro, CA, also sick at home with a new case of CV-19.  Tyson has treated 3000 patients with 3 hospitalizations.  

Notes.  Home treatment reduces deaths and reduces burden on the medical system.  American public discourse, led by health authorities, is 90% about contagion control, 5% late stage treatment, 5% vaccine.  Zero discussion of home treatment - even though it is a strong component of response in a good number of countries.  Fauci:  “Wait in fear for development of a vaccine.” 

McCullough:  “What medical condition with 12% mortality do we refrain from treating before hospitalization?  None!”   “Proven efficacy and acceptable safety” criterion requires 10-20 years of trials with 10 to 20 thousand participants.  We can’t wait.  Instead, apply “reasonable chance of success with emergency use of multiple drugs with well characterized safety” criterion.   '

Yay for vaccine, but winter explosion of is coming on, vaccines will take a while and won’t  be universally efficacious.  Save lives now.  McC:  Sick people being told there is no treatment contributes a great deal to social anxiety.   Tyson:  I can tell a 9-year old girl that her sickness won't kill her grandparents.  

#Tratamiento Temprano claims to represent 1700 doctors and researchers, seems mostly Latin American.   Home Treatment in English.  https://tratamientotemprano.org/

Principles:  1. Provide Ivermectin in patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 after the first symptoms have developed; 2. Apply the same covid-19 early treatment to all nearby contacts.

They have a Facebook page, Ivermectin MD Team.  But it is blocked.  https://www.facebook...595465843801899

The neglect of home treatment is baffling.  Why is it ignored, almost forbidden, in the US and Europe, but a crucial component in many middle and low income countries?  Why are burdensome, costly, and harmful lockdowns imposed without evidence of “proven efficacy and acceptable safety,” but home treatment denied because not of “proven efficacy and acceptable safety”?  Hypothesis:  strength of pharmaceutical lobby predicts neglect of home treatment and its repurposing of pre-existing therapeutics.  

The neglect of home treatment with RCT proven and observationally proven substances is more than baffling.

• Agree x 4

#2096 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 09:14 PM

The neglect of home treatment with RCT proven and observationally proven substances is more than baffling.

I have a singular data point on this.

My father in law's wife was admitted to a hospital due to a chronic UTI.  Upon admission, she was given a covid test and tested positive.  Subsequently my father in law and another person in the household were tested and found to be positive.

My father in law is a poster child for covid comorbidities - 85 years old, COPD, heart bypass surgery 3 years ago.  The only thing he's not is overweight (he's probably underweight).  After getting the positive covid result they set him home and told him to call his doctor if he got worse.

They gave him zero advice about what he might do to improve his odds.  Just an instruction to call if things got worse.

Fortunately for him, things didn't get much worse.  In his words "I felt crummy for a couple of days".  The positive result was 3 weeks ago tomorrow and he's been released from self quarantine for a week now.

His wife wasn't so lucky.  They had cleared her UTI to the point were she was told on a Friday that she might be released Saturday.  Unfortunately, she took a turn for the worse Friday night/Saturday morning and was transferred to a larger medical facility where's she's been on a vent for about 2.5 weeks now.  Being on a ventilator that long is obviously not a good indicator for a positive outcome. She's 77. On paper in better physical shape. Strictly no comorbidities.  But, she's seemed frail for about the last 10 years in spite of the fact she hasn't had any obvious medical issues and has the fact of being female in her favor.

It was however shocking to me that an obviously high risk patient like my father in law was sent home with a positive covid test and no instructions beyond "call if you get worse".

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 03 November 2020 - 09:19 PM.

• Agree x 3
  • like x 1

#2097 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2020 - 09:46 PM

Great finding Iporuru. I liked very much the paper focus on the initial Phase1 INNATE immune system response. And prevention by key nutrients goes hand-in-hand with innate response while other (or same nutrients) are important in the adaptive response. I am comforted in trying to use all of them.

• Agree x 1

#2098 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2020 - 04:49 PM

It was however shocking to me that an obviously high risk patient like my father in law was sent home with a positive covid test and no instructions beyond "call if you get worse".

I'm 71, that's SOP at my super "scientific" university health system.   "FDA approved only" = nothing.  

• Cheerful x 1

#2099 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 05:06 PM

News Flash: https://www.yahoo.co...-163748199.html

Aspirin could be key in helping Covid-19 patients recover

"Coronavirus patients in British hospitals will be given aspirin in a new trial to find out whether the cheap drug could prevent deadly blood clotting in the lungs."

"Professor Peter Horby, of Oxford University and the chief investigator of the recovery trial, which is looking at several drugs and treatments, said aspirin had been added to their list this week."

"However, because the US is not conducting a trial into aspirin the findings are only observational, and it is unknown whether giving aspirin more widely would be beneficial."

--------------------------

Oh my God!  The USA want's double blind placebo controlled studies to find out if aspirin might prevent blood clots before they would consider using it on COVID patients.  Until then...  No Aspirin for YOU!  You can't make this stuff up!  

We live in interesting times!  

• Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1

#2100 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 05:52 PM

I'm 71, that's SOP at my super "scientific" university health system.   "FDA approved only" = nothing.  

I think in almost every healthcare system, once you get to a certain age the interest in any sort of aggressive treatment goes way down.  And as you say, most doctors will not stray from FDA approved modalities.

My FIL did remarkably well.  I even forgot one of his comorbidities - in addition to COPD, Heart Disease, and being 85, he is also a type 2 diabetic.  Really only felt bad for a couple of days.

His wife isn't going to be so lucky. I believe she's in the end stage.  Trying to piece together what happened, I do not believe she was started on any treatment when she came back positive for covid.  You've got a 77 year old patient, in the hospital with an active UTI, positive for covid, and you take a wait and see attitude on treatment? Once she started her rapid decline (three days later) they did start remdesivir and something else which I've not been able to track down, but we know that the secret to successful treatment is starting it before symptoms dramatically worsen in high risk patients.

• Agree x 2
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus, flu, disease epidemics, viruses, immunity, covid-19

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users