Protecting from Coronavirus - Supplements & Therapies

coronavirus flu disease epidemics viruses immunity covid-19

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3083 replies to this topic

#2101 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2020 - 11:38 PM

OK, please don’t count me as an Ivermectin fanatic.  It’s just that the news on it is exploding at the moment.  Maybe it is a clinical illusion; let’s see how the evidence stacks up over time.  Given my circumstances, and my risk-tolerance, the evidence to date is sufficient for me to act. 

Marik’s Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance has now promulgated a supplement to their MATH+ Protocol:  I-MASK+, Prophylaxis & Early Outpatient Treatment Protocol for COVID-19. 

Trial Site News gave it quite a positive review, and mentioned pursuing its approval under something new to me, the Real World Evidence provision of the the 21st Century Cures Act.

https://www.trialsit...nt-of-covid-19/

I-MASK+, one-page handout:

https://covid19criti...IN-Protocol.pdf

• like x 1

#2102 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 01:40 AM

Experimental thyroid hormone treatment could prevent lung failure in COVID-19 patients by reducing inflammation and stopping the organs from getting 'leaky' 

• Informative x 2

#2103 Mr Serendipity

• 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2020 - 02:54 PM

I use to take most important supplements many than higher than rda doses, b-complex, zinc, vitamin c, d, e, nac, and some herbs like ginger and psycogenel. But when me, my wife, and my father got COVID, mine was the most severe and longest lasting. My dad and wife don’t take supplements either. But it always confounded me before when I use to get sick and I’d take these vitamins.

I learnt NAC can make a selenium deficiency worse if you already have one (because it’s used in the glutathione process), and that there was a study linking COVID severity and selenium deficiency.

Anyway after the COVID incident I started supplementing 100mcg selenium. Since Then I no longer experience daytime tiredness, my libido went up, and I haven’t been ill since, originally taking it I had to reduce it from 200 to 100mcg because it felt like I went hyperthyroid. So I find selenium is thyroid enhancing for me.

I got covid April-May, so it’s only been since May Ive taken selenium and haven’t gotten ill, but selenium definitely felt like a missing piece for me and I think that’s why I had such a bad immune system all this time even though I supplemented most of the immune boosting supplements.

My 2 cents.

Edited by Jesus is King, 05 November 2020 - 03:00 PM.

• Informative x 1

#2104 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 04:38 PM

Some info on the clotting issue...

https://time.com/590...blood-clotting/

Scientists Have Uncovered the Likely Cause of a Serious COVID-19 Symptom: Blood Clotting

"In a paper published in Science earlier this week, researchers provide a glimpse into what may be driving the clots triggered by COVID-19 infection. The group found that a specific set of antibodies known as autoantibodies—which are rogue versions of cells meant to defend the body from pathogens, but instead attack its own cells (in this case the body’s own blood vessel cells)—may be partly responsible for the clotting risk associated with the disease. Among 172 patients hospitalized with COVID-19, they found that half produced these autoantibodies. In addition, when the scientists injected the autoantibodies into lab mice, the animals developed blood clots."

"In their latest Science paper, the researchers found that the autoantibodies drive this cycle of inflammation and clotting. The autoantibodies found in the COVID-19 patients are the same ones doctors find in patients with an autoimmune disease called antiphospholipid syndrome, in which antibodies seed clots by attracting clotting factors that eventually block blood flow."

In fact, says Kanthi, COVID-19 can be seen as “an extreme version of a number of diseases, one of them being antiphospholipid syndrome.”

----------------------

So, do we have any therapeutics that might safely contain or control autoantibody syndromes?  

https://www.benaroya...mmune-diseases#

IS HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE SAFE FOR AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES?

"Hydroxychloroquine was developed 60 years ago to treat malaria, and doctors soon found that it also helps treat multiple autoimmune diseases. Rather than suppressing the whole immune system, the drug appears to work by stopping immune proteins called autoantibodies from triggering the immune response that causes these diseases."

-------------------------

Is there a therapeutic specific to antiphospholipid syndrome?  

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/25139939/

A new trick for an ancient drug: quinine dissociates antiphospholipid immune complexes

"Quinine, a quinoline derivative, is an ancient antipyretic drug with antimalarial properties that has been phased out by more effective synthetic candidates. In previous studies we discovered that hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), a synthetic antimalarial with structural similarities to quinine, reduced the binding of antiphospholipid (aPL) immune complexes to phospholipid bilayers. We performed ellipsometry and atomic force microscopy (AFM) studies to measure the effect of quinine on dissociation of anti-β2-glycoprotein I (anti-β2GPI) immune complexes.

We found that quinine desorbed pre-formed β2GPI-aPL immunoglobulin (Ig)G complexes from phospholipid bilayers at significantly lower molar concentrations than HCQ. Quinine also inhibited the formation of immune complexes with a higher efficacy than HCQ at equivalent drug concentrations

Furthermore, AFM imaging experiments revealed that addition of quinine disintegrated immune complexes bound to planar phospholipid layers. The desorptive and inhibitory effects of the old drug, quinine, toward β2GPI-aPL IgG complexes and β2GPI were significantly more pronounced compared to the synthetic antimalarial, HCQ. The results suggest that the quinoline core of the molecule is a critical domain for this activity and that side chains may further modulate this effect. The results also indicate that there may yet be room for considering new activities of very old drugs in devising clinical trials on potential non-anticoagulant treatments for antiphospholipid syndrome (APS)."

------------------------

Chris Masterjohn's youtube: COVID-19: New Insights Into Clotting dives into the COVID/autoantibody/antiphospholipid in detail.  It's quite a wonky talk, but also quite enlightening.  

His final statement at the very end made my Spidey Sense tingle when he stated his concern vaccine generated antibodies might produce a similar syndrome, & he hoped they would be watching for this.  He also talks about possible mRNA issues at 19:10.  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 05 November 2020 - 04:39 PM.

• Informative x 5
  • Good Point x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#2105 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 10:13 PM

I use to take most important supplements many than higher than rda doses, b-complex, zinc, vitamin c, d, e, nac, and some herbs like ginger and psycogenel. But when me, my wife, and my father got COVID, mine was the most severe and longest lasting. My dad and wife don’t take supplements either. But it always confounded me before when I use to get sick and I’d take these vitamins.

I learnt NAC can make a selenium deficiency worse if you already have one (because it’s used in the glutathione process), and that there was a study linking COVID severity and selenium deficiency.

Anyway after the COVID incident I started supplementing 100mcg selenium. Since Then I no longer experience daytime tiredness, my libido went up, and I haven’t been ill since, originally taking it I had to reduce it from 200 to 100mcg because it felt like I went hyperthyroid. So I find selenium is thyroid enhancing for me.

I got covid April-May, so it’s only been since May Ive taken selenium and haven’t gotten ill, but selenium definitely felt like a missing piece for me and I think that’s why I had such a bad immune system all this time even though I supplemented most of the immune boosting supplements.

My 2 cents.

You (and most people here) are probably aware of this, but just a reminder to not overdo zinc supplementation. It can cause copper deficiency and make you more prone to illness: https://www.healthli...ciency#symptoms

• Good Point x 3

#2106 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 08:51 AM

So concerning the Covid blood clotting issue and potentially taking aspirin as a preventative,

is there any supplements that can be taken in place of the aspirin that would provide the same

benefit of preventing the clots?

I have an elderly family member that was taking low dose apsirin for years as a preventative to

strokes, but her doctor last year recommended that she stop taking the low dose aspirin since

there was a study that showed that the risk of brain bleeding and brain hemmorhages, from

the daily low dose aspirin, far outweighed any benefits of low dose aspirin.

So, are there any supplements an elderly person could take to hopefully prevent any clotting

if they get Covid...but that wouldn't put them at risk for brain bleed or brain hemmorhages?

Edited by lancebr, 06 November 2020 - 08:52 AM.

• like x 1

#2107 Mr Serendipity

• 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2020 - 10:21 AM

You (and most people here) are probably aware of this, but just a reminder to not overdo zinc supplementation. It can cause copper deficiency and make you more prone to illness: https://www.healthli...ciency#symptoms

Just to clarify. In my case I was taking a zinc with copper supplement for years, which had 20mg Zinc (citrate) and 1.25mg Copper (gluconate), which as you can see is no low dose of copper. But I was still prone to illness and getting ill. In fact I overdosed on copper before (and pooping blood) by taking too many of these in the past when I was ill (trying to increase my zinc intake). So in my case I definitely think it was a selenium deficiency.
  • like x 1

#2108 Mind

• 19,055 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 03:38 PM

So concerning the Covid blood clotting issue and potentially taking aspirin as a preventative,

is there any supplements that can be taken in place of the aspirin that would provide the same

I have an elderly family member that was taking low dose apsirin for years as a preventative to

strokes, but her doctor last year recommended that she stop taking the low dose aspirin since

there was a study that showed that the risk of brain bleeding and brain hemmorhages, from

So, are there any supplements an elderly person could take to hopefully prevent any clotting

if they get Covid...but that wouldn't put them at risk for brain bleed or brain hemmorhages?

I believe there are extracts of willow bark that contain salicylic acid that do not cause bleeding. I have heard some people recommending this instead of aspirin. Maybe worth a look.

#2109 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 05:23 PM

Plenty of options for blood thinning in the supplement world: 

https://www.medicaln...articles/322384

Bromelain has a dual benefit of reducing bradykinin.  

Vitamin-E probably the simplest overall: 

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/11674855/

"Platelet aggregation, however, was profoundly inhibited by vitamin E. We found that inhibition of platelet aggregation by vitamin E was concentration dependent: increasing with increasing vitamin E concentration."

#2110 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 07:09 PM

Is Nattokinase the safest blood thinner?

Arthur Andrew Medical and Jarrow both sell one that isnt enteric coated, several dosing options on the bottle of Arthur Andrew Medical.

Natto eats right through fibrin/blood clots, thats how it thins the blood in the first place.  Most older adults have too much fibrin in their blood anyway, so it is an ideal solution.

"The human body produces several enzymes that promote the formation of blood clots (clotting is a vital mechanism that prevents hemorrhaging), but only one that dissolves them. This enzyme, known as plasmin, diminishes with age and this is a contributory factor in deaths from heart disease. A heart attack or angina episode can occur when a blood clot (called a “thrombus”) blocks an artery and reduces the supply of oxygen to the heart muscle"

"Nattokinase closely mimics plasmin with the ability to dissolve blood clots quickly and efficiently and also prevent them from forming in the first place."

Medical science let the family of a 12 year old down in my local community.  Knee surgery caused him to develop a deep vein thrombosis(DVT) and killed him a year later when it broke free.  Easily preventable if recovery would have included natto.  Really hit hard, kid looks almost exactly like my own 12 year old, you would think they were brothers.

• like x 2

#2111 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2020 - 09:31 PM

Some info on the clotting issue...

https://time.com/590...blood-clotting/

Scientists Have Uncovered the Likely Cause of a Serious COVID-19 Symptom: Blood Clotting

"In a paper published in Science earlier this week, researchers provide a glimpse into what may be driving the clots triggered by COVID-19 infection. The group found that a specific set of antibodies known as autoantibodies—which are rogue versions of cells meant to defend the body from pathogens, but instead attack its own cells (in this case the body’s own blood vessel cells)—may be partly responsible for the clotting risk associated with the disease. Among 172 patients hospitalized with COVID-19, they found that half produced these autoantibodies. In addition, when the scientists injected the autoantibodies into lab mice, the animals developed blood clots."

"In their latest Science paper, the researchers found that the autoantibodies drive this cycle of inflammation and clotting. The autoantibodies found in the COVID-19 patients are the same ones doctors find in patients with an autoimmune disease called antiphospholipid syndrome, in which antibodies seed clots by attracting clotting factors that eventually block blood flow."

In fact, says Kanthi, COVID-19 can be seen as “an extreme version of a number of diseases, one of them being antiphospholipid syndrome.”

Followup from that same source

To start, Knight is already studying one drug, dipyridamole, which is approved to treat strokes and prevent blood clots in people who receive mechanical heart valves, to see if it can reduce the risk of clotting in COVID-19 patients. The drug is relatively inexpensive and directly tamps down neutrophil activation, which may in turn reduce the formation of the hyperactive neutrophil traps in the vessels.

Not advocating, just providing information.   

FDA dipyridamole data sheet

Search for dipyridamole and coronavirus.  Several reports and review articles.

Therapeutic effects of dipyridamole on COVID-19 patients with coagulation dysfunction

Potential Therapeutic Benefits of Dipyridamole in COVID-19 Patients

Also (no results yet)

https://clinicaltria...how/NCT04391179

https://clinicaltria...how/NCT04424901

Dipyridamole = Persantin = Persantine = Aggrenox (with a touch of aspirin), cheap and common outside the U.S.  Available in Mexico and at some overseas pharmacies.

• WellResearched x 2

#2112 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 11:34 PM

I believe there are extracts of willow bark that contain salicylic acid that do not cause bleeding. I have heard some people recommending this instead of aspirin. Maybe worth a look.

Longecity thread on Aspirin : https://www.longecit...not-to-take-it/

#2113 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:34 AM

There is NO cytokine storm associated with any stage of COVID?  

This is certainly interesting.  The bradykinin / oxidative stress alternate hypothesis comes to mind.  

We've got work to do!  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 10 November 2020 - 07:08 AM.

#2114 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 04:14 PM

FWIW, I asked my MD brother about this. He said: "it's a vascular disease not a lung disease. Oxygen does not enter the body because of poor transport through the capillary beds. Wear your mask"

#2115 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 07:14 PM

Electronic Mask filters 99% of viruses and germs

$49 on amazon, 20pck filters for $20(7-15 days ea)

Sonovia’s reusable anti-viral masks are coated in zinc oxide nano-particles that destroy bacteria, fungi and viruses, which it says can help stop the spread of the coronavirus.

The SonoMask displayed an ability to neutralize the novel coronavirus at an effectiveness of 99.34% within trials performed by the internationally accredited ATCC Testing laboratory

Results from the most recent round of testing showed that the mask has the ability to neutralize fallen traces of SARS-COV-2 within 30 minutes after making contact with the fabric. The SonoMask was also proven to maintain its protective properties throughout .

$69 on at amazon.

Edited by Gal220, 10 November 2020 - 07:25 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2116 Iporuru

• 216 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 01:37 PM

A Polish doctor treats Covid patients (more than 100) in 48 hours with amantadine:

https://przychodnia-...8-hours-scheme/

https://przychodnia-...ed-in-48-hours/

It's also being successfully tried in other places:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC7290190/

https://link.springe...440-020-00168-1

• Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#2117 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:16 PM

Already know to many here but I wish to add a new, recently published, additional evidence in case you overlooked it:

Vitamin D Supplementation Associated to Better Survival in Hospitalized Frail Elderly COVID-19 Patients: The GERIA-COVID Quasi-Experimental Study

https://www.mdpi.com...6643/12/11/3377

• Informative x 1

#2118 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 04:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the information about the blood clotting supplements.

I saw Fauci on the news today making the statement that "it’s not going to be a pandemic

for a lot longer" because things are going to be turning around.

Just two weeks ago he was saying that it was going to get a lot worse and that it

would probably last through 2022.

Wow, what a change now.

• Needs references x 2
  • Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1

#2119 Marconius

• NO

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:47 AM

I saw Fauci on the news today making the statement that "it’s not going to be a pandemic

for a lot longer" because things are going to be turning around.

Just two weeks ago he was saying that it was going to get a lot worse and that it

would probably last through 2022.

Wow, what a change now.

Do you have a direct link to this statement of his? 

#2120 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:51 AM

Do you have a direct link to this statement of his? 

Not true in Illinois at least, we are going finish sending all the bars and restaurants into bankruptcy with a new set of lockdowns. 

Some are defying the orders, they got nothing to lose, stay open or close shop permanently.

When you elect filth, they do filthy things...

Edited by Gal220, 13 November 2020 - 06:06 AM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • dislike x 1

#2121 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:04 AM

More on Ivermectin from India as a prophylaxis, gotta love how we get all this info from other countries instead of our own CDC.

"two dose of 300ug/kg with a gap of 72 hours was associated with 73% reduction in covid infection among healthcare workers" 

Cats claw(vine extract) shows anti-viral in vitro.  I take this for memory, common supplement. If true, why did it take so long?

Especially things like MIR2911(honey suckle extract) and quercetin. They were both already used with influenza, crazy we dont have more information.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#2122 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:57 AM

Stumbled across this during my wanderings: https://academic.oup...11/2167/4584704

Hepcidin Attenuates Zinc Efflux in Caco-2 Cells

Conclusions: Hepcidin reduces intestinal zinc export by post-translationally downregulating ZnT1 through a lysosomal-mediated degradation pathway, indicating that hepcidin may contribute to the hypozincemia of inflammation and infection.  

--------------------

Hepcidin is well known as the bodies master regulator of iron homeostasis, but it appears it also substantially effects dietary/supplemental zinc uptake from intestines.  This is important, as infection and inflammation swiftly spike hepcidin sky high; the bodies desperate effort to sequester iron, which may feed pathogens and contribute to inflammation.  

"Like iron, plasma concentrations of zinc are suppressed in individuals with acute and chronic inflammatory and infectious diseases"

So during coronavirus infection, hepcidin will inhibit intestinal absorption of zinc, just when we are trying to increase therapeutic zinc to inhibit viral replication.  

Any way to remedy this situation?  Quinine/Chloroquine/HCQ to the rescue!  Apparently chloroquine (and presumably quinine & HCQ) ameliorate hepcidin's blocking action against zinc, & normalize intestinal uptake.  

"Hepcidin significantly reduced biotinylated cell surface ZnT1 compared with control cells (P < 0.05); chloroquine inhibited hepcidin-mediated degradation of ZnT1 (P ≥ 0.05)"

---------------

Thus we see, the chloroquine meds (quinine, chloroquine & HCQ) act not only as ionophores, bringing zinc into cells, but also will bypass infection related hepcidin inhibition of intestinal zinc uptake from foods or supplements we are taking as COVID therapeutics.  

As always, a drop of gin will make quinine tonics much more palatable.  

Cheers!  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 13 November 2020 - 07:11 AM.

• Informative x 2

#2123 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 03:52 PM

More on the catastrophic autoantibodies: 

https://www.yahoo.co...-100211975.html

'Breakthrough finding' reveals why certain Covid-19 patients die

"In some cases, provocative new research shows, some people — men in particular — succumb because their immune systems are hit by friendly fire."

"In an international study in Science, 10 percent of nearly 1,000 Covid-19 patients who developed life-threatening pneumonia had antibodies that disable key immune system proteins called interferons. These antibodies — known as autoantibodies, because they attack the body itself — weren't found at all in 663 people with mild or asymptomatic Covid-19 infections."

"This is one of the most important things we've learned about the immune system since the start of the pandemic," said Dr. Eric Topol, executive vice president for research at Scripps Research in San Diego, who wasn't involved in the new study. "This is a breakthrough finding."

"The study might help explain why men are more likely than women to become critically ill with Covid-19 and die, Klein said.  "You see significantly more men dying in their 30s, not just in their 80s," she said."

------------------------

I trust we recall from my post above: "Hydroxychloroquine was developed 60 years ago to treat malaria, and doctors soon found that it also helps treat multiple autoimmune diseases. Rather than suppressing the whole immune system, the drug appears to work by stopping immune proteins called autoantibodies from triggering the immune response that causes these diseases.

You can see the evidence here: https://c19study.com/

• Informative x 3
  • Agree x 1

#2124 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:12 PM

Peru's Aguirre-Chang recommends aspirin for pre-exposure and post-exposure prophylaxis in older people and those with comorbidities, with exceptions.  Quite precise details at link.

COVID-19: INCLUSION OF ASPIRIN IN PROPHYLAXIS FOR PEOPLE AT A HIGHER RISK OF DEVELOPING SEVERE ILLNESS AND MORTALITY. Its use is related to lower mortality, lower requirement for mechanical ventilation and admission to the ICU.

• Informative x 2

#2125 Mind

• 19,055 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 11:26 AM

Fluvoxamine keeps people with COVID-19 from developing the severe form of the disease. Small study - not too much statistical power, but something promising none-the-less. https://www.upi.com/.../9261605209745/

Study authors think think that it has to do with anti-inflammatory properties of Fluvoxamine, but I tend to think there are a lot more powerful anti-inflammatory substances that could be used, if that was the key. I suspect it might have to do with the mental aspects of disease and disease progression. I know it sounds simple, but happier people have better immune systems. Taking an anti-depressant might tip the scales from being fearful-depressed and falling into a more severe state of the disease vs recovering.

• Informative x 1

#2126 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 07:48 PM

Review of the Emerging Evidence Supporting the Use of Ivermectin in the Prophylaxis and Treatment of COVID-19
Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance

https://osf.io/wx3zn/

Very comprehensive review article including an updated COVD-19 treatment protocol including ivermectin. Also a discussion of studies about ivermectin as a prophylactic.

• like x 1

#2127 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 11:32 PM

Review of the Emerging Evidence Supporting the Use of Ivermectin in the Prophylaxis and Treatment of COVID-19
Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance

https://osf.io/wx3zn/

Very comprehensive review article including an updated COVD-19 treatment protocol including ivermectin. Also a discussion of studies about ivermectin as a prophylactic.

Thanks so much for this smithx.  Best protocol paper I've seen.  "The new standard of care" as Fauci would say!  

#2128 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:19 AM

News Flash: Amazon has SOLD OUT their stock of Farnam IverCare, equine ivermectin paste.  This is the only one labeled "Made in America" and comes in a measuring syringe.  Next available delivery date December 27.  J & M Collectibles (third party amazon) still has 5 kits left.  Plenty of other brands available, but don't know about quality.  

Impressive surges going on all over the place.  San Diego just had their first 1K positive day.  Thanksgiving 10 days away.  It's going to be a fine mess.  

#2129 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 08:21 PM

This is certainly interesting.  The bradykinin / oxidative stress alternate hypothesis comes to mind.  

We've got work to do!  

I've questioned whether cytokine storm was a major feature of covid mortalities since this thing started.  I base this on the 1918 pandemic which was noted for a strong cytokine storm and who it killed - mainly 20 - 40 year olds who had the strongest immune systems.  The very young and the very old were for the most part spared.  Versus covid which has most of it's deaths amongst the very old.

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 17 November 2020 - 08:22 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#2130 Iporuru

• 216 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:29 AM

A Lancet preprint study:

Synergistic Effect of Quercetin and Vitamin C Against COVID-19: Is a Possible Guard for Front Liners

This study aimed to evaluate if quercetin and vitamin C could be protective against Novel Coronavirus.

Methods: In prophylaxis group supplementation containing 500mg of quercetin, 500mg of vitamin C and 50mg of  bromelain (QCB) was initiated daily in 2 divided doses for 71 healthcare workers working in areas with high risk of COVID-19, whereas 42 were determined as control group without using supplements.A maximum period of follow-up was determined as 120 days.Termination of use of QCB earlier or having a Coronavirus infection was considered as final point.At the end rapid diagnostic test used to detect immunoglobulin positivity.

Results: A total of 113 persons included. No significant difference detected between groups in terms of other features.Mean age of QCB group was 39.0 ± 8.8 years and control group was 32.9 ± 8.7.Average follow-up period for the QCB group was 113 days, and for the control group, 118, during follow-up period, 1 healthcare worker in QCB group and 9 out of 42 in control group had COVID-19.One of cases was asymptomatic, while others were not.Transmission risk hazard ratio whose did not receive QCB was 12.04 (95% Confidence interval= 1.26-115.06, P = 0.031).No significant effect of gender, smoking, antihypertensive medication exposure and having chronic disease on rate of transmission.

Conclusion: This study revealed that QCB was protective for healthcare workers.

Edited by Iporuru, 18 November 2020 - 05:30 AM.

• Informative x 5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus, flu, disease epidemics, viruses, immunity, covid-19

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users