- - - - -

PQQ Neurotoxicity

pqq

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:25 PM

I wonder how much PQQ you would have to take to get 1 micromole PQQ in cortical neurons?

Neurotoxicology. 2020 Feb 14. pii: S0161-813X(20)30027-9. 

Peng Y1, Xu D2, Mao S2, Zhou X3.
Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) and its esterified derivative, PQQ ester (PQQE), have potential to treat or diagnose neurological and psychological disorders. However, their neurotoxicity remains unclear. To provide reference data for the brain targeting drug delivery techniques, the cytotoxic effects of PQQ and PQQE were examined in primary mouse cortical neurons. The results indicated that both PQQ and PQQE decreased neuron viability, reduced intracellular ATP level and disrupted the mitochondrial membrane potential in a concentration- and time-dependent manner, while PQQ was less potent than PQQE. PQQ and PQQE induced apoptosis involving increase of Bax, decrease of Bcl-2, release of mitochondrial cytochrome C into the cytosol, activation of caspase-3 and cleavage of PARP. A single mouse intracephalic injection of PQQ or PQQE showed similar results. Based on these findings, high-concentration PQQ or PQQE treatment could induce a wide range of neurotoxicity and apoptosis. The lowest observed adverse effect levels (LOAELs) of PQQ and PQQE were 10 µM and 2 µM respectively and the no observed adverse effect levels (NOAELs) were 5 µM and 1 µM respectively in mice cortical neurons.
PMID: 32068067

#2 Blu

• 40 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:59 PM

Uhm.

10 µM of PQQ is 10(^-5)mol * 330g/mol, that is, 3.3 mg.

PQQ density is roughly 2g/ml.

Which means 10 µM = 1.7 ml of pure PQQ.

How did they injected that in a mouse head?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ta5

• Topic Starter
  • 952 posts
Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:38 AM

I found the full article on sci-hub.tw.

Normal female ICR mice weighing 25~30g were anaesthetized by intraperitoneal injection of 10% chloral hydrate (5ml/kg) before surgery. Then, 10 μl of normal saline, 5 μM PQQ, 80 μM PQQ, 1 μM PQQE or 8 μM PQQE were injected into the site of oblique above the canthus with 1~2 mm depth of needle into mouse intracranial.

#4 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:45 PM

What does pqq do again? I envision I saw somewhere that it lowers glutathione then people with tinnitis like me should avoid it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:11 PM

It appears PQQ does not cross the blood-brain barrier REF. In any event the NOAEL is fairly high at 10 uM REF (per L is understood) = 3.3 mg/L. An 80 kg man has 48 kg of water (60%) = 48 L of water. To get 10 uM concentration in 48 L of water would require (10 uM/L)(48 L) = (3.3 mg)(48) = 154.3 mg (about ten times the normal dose). I feel safe taking 20 mg once per day.

PQQ 

• promotes mito-genesis (more mitochondria) -- this is what its most known for
  • reduces osteopenia (increase bone replacement)
  • reduces inflammation IL-6 and CRP (C-reactive protein)
  • increases SIRT3 
  • increases Nrf 1 & Nrf 2

(sorry, I don't have references. One would have to google each item along with pqq for verification)

Edited by RWhigham, 08 April 2020 - 11:15 PM.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pqq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users