• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Chronic high sucrose (sugar) diet makes you lose weight and increase brown fat? Thoughts on this study?

sucrose sugar brown fat

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mr Serendipity

• 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:50 AM

https://www.scienced...955286317301948

Chronic high-sucrose diet increases fibroblast growth factor 21 production and energy expenditure in mice☆

Abstract
Excess carbohydrate intake causes obesity in humans. On the other hand, acute administration of fructose, glucose or sucrose in experimental animals has been shown to increase the plasma concentration of anti-obesity hormones such as glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) and Fibroblast growth factor 21 (FGF21), which contribute to reducing body weight. However, the secretion and action of GLP-1 and FGF21 in mice chronically fed a high-sucrose diet has not been investigated. To address the role of anti-obesity hormones in response to increased sucrose intake, we analyzed mice fed a high-sucrose diet, a high-starch diet or a normal diet for 15 weeks. Mice fed a high-sucrose diet showed resistance to body weight gain, in comparison with mice fed a high-starch diet or control diet, due to increased energy expenditure. Plasma FGF21 levels were highest among the three groups in mice fed a high-sucrose diet, whereas no significant difference in GLP-1 levels was observed. Expression levels of uncoupling protein 1 (UCP-1), FGF receptor 1c (FGFR1c) and β-klotho (KLB) mRNA in brown adipose tissue were significantly increased in high sucrose-fed mice, suggesting increases in FGF21 sensitivity and energy expenditure. Expression of carbohydrate responsive element binding protein (ChREBP) mRNA in liver and brown adipose tissue was also increased in high sucrose-fed mice. These results indicate that FGF21 production in liver and brown adipose tissue is increased in high-sucrose diet and participates in resistance to weight gain.

For the first time since I started consuming copious amounts of cocoa and sugar 13 days ago, I actually went jogging tonight, the first time I've done exercise in over a year. My mood is way up and I have yet to crash. I won't say this is purely because of sugar, I give most credence to the copious amounts of cocoa I'm consuming, I'm just more mentally invigorated and in a good mood. Also my other cravings and addictions are practically gone, i.e. cigarettes, and I'm not snacking on anything like chocolate or anything else, and I don't feel the need to eat as much either. 

I also worked out on the generous side that 50g of cocoa (205 cals) + 40g [9 tsps] of sugar (155 cals) = 355 calories. So essentially I could have up to 3 large mugs a day (1065 calories, 150g cocoa, 120g sucrose) i.e. 18 heaped teaspoons of cocoa and 27 teaspoons of sugar! and still have 1000 calories left to eat proper food to reach my maintenance (2000 calories), and this is without taking any exercise into account.

So is it actually possible for a high sucrose (sugar) diet to be perfectly healthy if consumed within your calories? (while covering all your essential nutrients with the rest of your calories and supplements)

I honestly feel great (maybe slightly hypo-manic or just hyperactive lol), but feel like I should feel crap or crashed by now consuming 80-120g of sucrose a day (according to common sense), and I never consumed this much sugar directly for this period of time before (was never a tea or big fizzy drinks consumer). 

Anyway just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sucrose, sugar, brown fat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users