Health Benefits of Sugar

sugar

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mohammad65

• 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:52 AM

Hi all,

I just made some lemon tea and hot chocolate today, sweetened with artificial sweetener sucralose, and I have to say I'm surprised about how it tastes exactly like sugar!

It got me thinking... Why is it that sour drinks, or bitter drinks are only desirable to drink if they are sweetened?

Could it be that we evolved to require sugar, because sugar helps the body to process acidic or bitter compounds? I'm starting to worry that perhaps my body actually needed real sugar... :|?

Because there is absolutely no way I would ever drink hot chocolate if it was just cocoa and water/milk. I would almost worry that I'm somehow damaging my body with so many bitter compounds...

Edited by alexis3, 07 June 2020 - 12:55 AM.

#2 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:55 PM

I wonder if our love for sugar could have to do with the availability of sugar in the environment. Like imagine that we didn't care about sugar in our environment hundreds of years ago, we'd just be creating far more work for ourselves in getting fuel for our physiological functions. Same with salt.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:42 AM

Bitter drinks can be very desirable to drink (depending on your genetics to a degree though) - you should try to wean yourself off sweeteners too and see what happens. 

#4 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM

It got me thinking... Why is it that sour drinks, or bitter drinks are only desirable to drink if they are sweetened?

Wow I now know what goes through the mind of a genius in a day, thanks for sharing. I would have never asked myself such a smart question.

Edited by kurdishfella, 24 September 2020 - 01:06 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 4
  • Cheerful x 1

#5 Oakman

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:05 PM

You might want to do some reading about sucralose, it has a rather unpleasant history, and is controversial in human consumption > https://draxe.com/nutrition/sucralose/

"Originally, sucralose was found through the development of a new insecticide compound. It was never meant to be consumed. However, it was later introduced as a “natural sugar substitute” to the masses, and people had no idea that the stuff was actually toxic."

Personally, consuming it produces a rosacea effect on my face, and until I discovered it was the cause, I thought I actually did have rosacea.

I now avoid it in all food products like the plague.

• Agree x 1

#6 Lady4T

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:04 AM

There are absolutely NO health benefits to consuming sugar. I thought that everyone would know that...

And there is a good reason that bitter foods or drinks are inedible without sweetener. The bitter taste detected by your body is kind of a warning alarm telling you that you should not put that substance in your body.

Edited by Lady4T, 29 September 2020 - 03:04 AM.

• unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2020 - 05:31 AM

I would say that the main benefit of sugar would be the insulin-secretion it invokes. Insulin being our main anti-aging hormone. 

• Ill informed x 2
  • dislike x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sugar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users