Funk's Anti-Aging Regimen

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:33 AM

Was that tree supposed to look like what I think it looks like? lol

Krillin- I'm using methylfolate on the off chance I have an MTHFR polymorphism. With regard to lipoic acid, I agree with that approach but I can only tolerate so much in a single dose, hence the twice daily. My digestive system doesn't like whey protein for some reason, otherwise I'd use it.

#62 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:42 AM

Krillin- I'm using methylfolate on the off chance I have an MTHFR polymorphism.

Your supplemental riboflavin should protect against that.

Has anyone done a study showing that methylfolate is better than folinate? Since folate goes through the methyl cycle many many times during its long biological lifetime, I wouldn't think there would be any advantage to bypassing the MTHFR step just once.

Circulation. 2006 Jan 3;113(1):74-80.
Comment in: Circulation. 2006 Jul 25;114(4):e65; author reply e66.
Riboflavin lowers homocysteine in individuals homozygous for the MTHFR 677C->T polymorphism.
McNulty H, Dowey le RC, Strain JJ, Dunne A, Ward M, Molloy AM, McAnena LB, Hughes JP, Hannon-Fletcher M, Scott JM.
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland. h.mcnulty@ulster.ac.uk

BACKGROUND: Meta-analyses predict that a 25% lowering of plasma homocysteine would reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by 11% to 16% and stroke by 19% to 24%. Individuals homozygous for the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) 677C-->T polymorphism have reduced MTHFR enzyme activity resulting from the inappropriate loss of the riboflavin cofactor, but it is unknown whether their typically high homocysteine levels are responsive to improved riboflavin status. METHODS AND RESULTS: From a register of 680 healthy adults 18 to 65 years of age of known MTHFR 677C-->T genotype, we identified 35 with the homozygous (TT) genotype and age-matched individuals with heterozygous (CT, n=26) or wild-type (CC, n=28) genotypes to participate in an intervention in which participants were randomized by genotype group to receive 1.6 mg/d riboflavin or placebo for a 12-week period. Supplementation increased riboflavin status to the same extent in all genotype groups (8% to 12% response in erythrocyte glutathione reductase activation coefficient; P<0.01 in each case). However, homocysteine responded only in the TT group, with levels decreasing by as much as 22% overall (from 16.1+/-1.5 to 12.5+/-0.8 micromol/L; P=0.003; n=32) and markedly so (by 40%) in those with lower riboflavin status at baseline (from 22.0+/-2.9 and 13.2+/-1.0 micromol/L; P=0.010; n=16). No homocysteine response was observed in the CC or CT groups despite being preselected for suboptimal riboflavin status. CONCLUSIONS: Although previously overlooked, homocysteine is highly responsive to riboflavin, specifically in individuals with the MTHFR 677 TT genotype. Our findings might explain why this common polymorphism carries an increased risk of coronary heart disease in Europe but not in North America, where riboflavin fortification has existed for >50 years.

PMID: 16380544

sponsored ad

• Advert

#63 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:22 PM

I'm using methylfolate on the off chance I have an MTHFR polymorphism

That's a reasonable justifacation but wouldn't you rather know Funk. If you had your genome mapped you would have one million markers that you could use to optimise your health. Well not a million because polymorphisms that demonstrate you more than likely have brown eyes and so on you won't using but just imagine if you knew that you were homozygous for the MTHFR polymorphism. There are so many other things that you would more than likely change as well

#64 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:33 PM

Of course I would rather know, but I have no idea how to go about getting my genome mapped and I imagine it would be very expensive. I would love to have it done though.

#65 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:56 AM

Of course I would rather know, but I have no idea how to go about getting my genome mapped and I imagine it would be very expensive. I would love to have it done though.

I think it's a grand at 23andme.com

#66 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

Revised to reflect updates to supplement regimen (original post on the first page of thread).

#67 Lazlo Panaflex

• 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:08 AM

Hey Funk, where are you getting your Curecumin from? I've looked everywhere...

#68 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:07 AM

www.feelgoodnatural.com. It is not available in the United States, but that is a Canadian store that ships internationally.

#69 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:02 AM

Current regimen:

Jarrow MK-7 (Vitamin K2): 90mcg

Question about the Jarrow's VitK2 you‘re taking; how large of the gel caps? I'm thinking about buying them after I finish source naturals which were the perfect size (tiny) but sadly came in tablets and everyone tells me gels have better absorption if it’s a fat soluble vitamins. I have trouble swallowing large pills which is why I'm asking.

#70 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:45 AM

The Jarrow K2 is tiny -- sort of like vitamin D gels, but dark shells. Very small, so I don't see anyone having a problem swallowing them.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#71 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:22 AM

The Jarrow K2 is tiny -- sort of like vitamin D gels, but dark shells. Very small, so I don't see anyone having a problem swallowing them.

I see, thanks for the reply.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users