• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Caffeine is bad for you and does not help productivity?

coffee

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yodaflip

• 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

I saw this video on YouTube

Essentially this guy is saying that coffee/caffeine is bad for you and that it hinders productivity/focus instead of helping.

I cycle caffeine anyways but I looked through the forum and only found that longecity praises caffeine/coffee

#2 gamesguru

• 3,277 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 02:50 AM

He's literally comparing N.O.-XPLODE to Japanese sencha.  That stuff literally causes ADHD and stomach cancer.  He also argues from a very personal perspective—yes, it's unfortunate caffeine gave him some panic attacks on occasion, but no, that doesn't mean it generally depletes you or is a bad thing for everyone else.

There are plenty of studies suggesting the opposite, that caffeine upregulates dopamine receptors, that it fights Parkinson's disease, and improves attention span.

I really don't buy the dependence issue either.  I've given my tea to coffee drinkers and they say it keeps them up for days—so it must have an extraordinary amount of caffeine—but I can quit it no problem.

I don't know if it really depletes you or makes you more or less productive.  Either way I don't get much done.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Futurenow

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:23 PM

The only way to be sure how caffeine, and especially coffee is affecting you is to literally quit for a few months.
I believe there is some research indicating that with habitual use coffee's "nootropic" benefits are negative on cognitive performance tests.
Like basically everything, dose is the poison.

#4 experimenting

• 638 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:22 PM

Tea and coffee affect me rather differently.

Cold brew coffee is great-nice smooth stimulation. Makes me feel good but also a bit scatterbrained. No withdrawal issues. Would say it’s more of treat, neither helps nor hurts.

Hot brew I do not like, makes me nervous. Bothers my stomach, especially nespresso.

Black tea is very stimulating for me, and oddly makes me a bit more pain sensitive. Can also produce a weird kind of anger for me. My guess is some kind of NMDA up regulation.

Green tea I don’t have much experience with. Doesn’t really do much for me either way.

So for me it’s cold brew or nothing. Can’t be bothered to make a habit of it though.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Moderator, Secretary
  • 17,387 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 01:38 PM

The vast majority of studies on coffee show positive effects on mortality, no matter how much you drink.

Whether or not it is an optimal strategy for focus and energy depends upon the individual, but as for health, it is good for you, according to the research.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Mr Matsubayashi

• 213 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 08:03 AM

This is my go-to for basic dietary advice. They have a whole section on coffee and is it good/bad? It depends! 

https://www.youtube....8sc0iLpZwriMRt3

My takeaways

Don't use sugar/milk

With my genetics, one coffee in the morning will do

Use a lighter roast

Edited by Mr Matsubayashi, 15 October 2021 - 08:03 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coffee

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users