• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Fungi In The Blood, Fungi In The Brain: Rapamycin To The Rescue?

alzheimers disease infection rapamycin aging

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Lustgarten

• 343 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:54 PM

The incidence of fungi bloodstream infections increases during aging-is that a potential explanation for the presence of fungi in the brains of Alzheimer's disease patients? Rapamycin is a known antifungal-is it effective against fungi that are found in the blood and brain?

• like x 1

#2 sub7

• 304 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:49 AM

"Rapamycin is a known antifungal"

It merely suppress the expression / propagation of fungi, right? It does not kll them. But do correct me if I am mistaken

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Michael Lustgarten

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2021 - 10:43 AM

As shown in the video, rapamycin limits growth and eradicates various fungal species.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 sub7

• 304 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 02:52 PM

As shown in the video, rapamycin limits growth and eradicates various fungal species.

I apologize for commenting before thoroughly watching the video. I just did and without reading the associated papers, it is still unclear to me whether in vivo Rapamycin only suppresses the expression of fungal species or eliminates them, such that they would be rendered incapable of killing the host -even though they are capable of reawakening. Again maybe this is addressed in the associated paper.

Please note that the above is not meant to be a criticism for the sake of just sounding smart. I believe this is a critical question because the dose used in the study was very high. 20 mg per kg in mice -even if scaled for Human Equivalent Dosage- is a very high dose and not sustainable (for life extension purposes) if it has to be used on a constant basis. The findings are still very valuable because 

1- very rare intermittent high doses may rid the body of the fungal species and such high doses once in a very long while may be doable

2- possibly a lower dose of Rapamycin may provide a great deal of fungal elimination, even if doesn't kill them all.

Thank you so much for the post and making the video.

On a semi-related note, do you have any suggestions for someone who desires to use Rapamycin because he is convınced that life-extension benefits are probably for real, but cannot tolerate even very low doses of the drug?
I know it may sound like complete lunacy but even 1 mg of Rapamycin completely kills my libido as well as energy and makes me feel absolutely terrible. I have performed this experiment very carefully and several times.

• Good Point x 2

#5 Michael Lustgarten

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2021 - 04:50 PM

Rapamycin isn't the only way to potentially improve longevity-I'd bet that good 'ol diet and exercise will lead to a longer lifespan when compared with whatever benefits may come with rapa use.

#6 sub7

• 304 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 04:58 PM

Rapamycin isn't the only way to potentially improve longevity-I'd bet that good 'ol diet and exercise will lead to a longer lifespan when compared with whatever benefits may come with rapa use.

Not sure if this answer was meant to be a serious reply, bur surely it is wholly unrelated to my questions.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Michael Lustgarten

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2021 - 05:24 PM

Not sure if this answer was meant to be a serious reply, bur surely it is wholly unrelated to my questions.

If rapamycin negatively affects how you feel, is it worth taking it? Just because it works in mice doesn't mean that it will work in all people. Alternatively, far lower doses, and blood testing to make sure it has a net benefit may be worthwhile. The human equivalent dose to gain any benefits are largely unknown, as RCTS for rapamycin use are sparse. I did find this paper, though: https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/29408453/

#8 Iporuru

• 216 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 08:14 AM

On a semi-related note, do you have any suggestions for someone who desires to use Rapamycin because he is convınced that life-extension benefits are probably for real, but cannot tolerate even very low doses of the drug?
I know it may sound like complete lunacy but even 1 mg of Rapamycin completely kills my libido as well as energy and makes me feel absolutely terrible. I have performed this experiment very carefully and several times.

You might want to try some of the natural mimetics of rapamycin: https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/29165314/

#9 sub7

• 304 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 07:40 PM

You might want to try some of the natural mimetics of rapamycin: https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/29165314/

Generally I am very much against any and all plant extracts. Besides it appears that it is the MTor inhibition that is giving me problems and both Everolimus as well as Sirolimus gave rise to the exact same issues in my case. So a plant working through the same pathway is likely to present the same issues. Surely, we cannot be certain without trying and I still appreciate the input.

If rapamycin negatively affects how you feel, is it worth taking it? Just because it works in mice doesn't mean that it will work in all people. Alternatively, far lower doses, and blood testing to make sure it has a net benefit may be worthwhile. The human equivalent dose to gain any benefits are largely unknown, as RCTS for rapamycin use are sparse. I did find this paper, though: https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/29408453/

The study used 1 mg, which is a pretty low dose and happens to be exactly what I used and had problems with.... unfortunately. But thanks a lot for this find.

#10 TranscendingSingularity

• 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 06:06 PM

Thanks for coming up with the issue of fungi in the brain -> AD! It's talked about way too rarely. But I doubt that rapamycin is the best choice for this

• unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#11 Michael Lustgarten

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2021 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for coming up with the issue of fungi in the brain -> AD! It's talked about way too rarely. But I doubt that rapamycin is the best choice for this

Why's that? If fungal infections are found at an increased prevalence in AD patients, wouldn't a targeted anti-fungal be a good idea?

• Good Point x 2

#12 TMNMK

• 170 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:40 AM

https://www.insider....-failure-2021-1

Sorry for being mostly off-topic, I just couldn't help but post this when I saw the OP title!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alzheimers disease, infection, rapamycin, aging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users