• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is Potassium Chloride safe to supplement?

potassium chloride electrolytes supplement dose nosalt salt substitute

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 protoject

• 951 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 02:22 AM

Is it okay to take a full dose of potassium chloride safely if you take it with a good amount of water and you're not deficient in other electrolytes?

Does it do anything negative to chloride levels in the body / does that matter?

Can the human body handle more than the recommended intake fairly easily as long as you're not going too far over?

........And a random question for fun: Did anyone notice strange effects when combining calcium and potassium? I swear one time I thought i was having some sort of seizure with twitching, but i had been doing a lot of "substances" for 3 months so maybe it had nothing to do with the supplements. It was so wierd though. It just felt like all my neural networks were firing off and then i got massive twitches all over but it wasn't enough for me to call 911. And i didn't take a massive dose of anything I was just on a normal cacium dose, probably like 50% of potassium, and 10 x the vitamin d needed (I have deficiency so sometimes I have to take that for like a week and then stop for a bit). I also interpreted this as "hypercalcemia" but I'm not sure that it actually fit the category of hypercalcemia, i think that must be more serious

#2 pamojja

• 2,430 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:30 AM

With full dose you mean the RDA in one go? - I think that would be dangerously too much.

But well desolved and divided troughout the day, after slowly having build up intake from very low doses, gradually increased over weeks, months and years, while monitoring symptoms and electrolytes with blood-work -  and adjusting intakes of all other electrolytes too - that could be savely possible.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Right

• 64 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:26 PM

https://en.wikipedia...ethal_injection

Hope you know what you're doing

#4 hamishm00

• 1,047 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 04:21 AM

It is safe in theory in low doses. I would switch to potassium citrate and only take 100-200mg max with water alone (i.e. outside of meal times). With a meal, potentially you can go higher than this, but it has the potential to harm stomach lining. If you don't have health issues, there have been studies showing you can safely handle up to 13grams of potassium intake (from food) - I would not attempt anything more than a gram a day from supplements given the risk to the stomach, and also the spikes you can get in your blood levels of potassium can cause the body to flush more potassium than you would like, resulting in lower potassium levels in the body than you started with. 

Edited by hamishm00, 09 February 2021 - 04:23 AM.

#5 elc202

• 62 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:25 AM

i have never seen potassium supplements with more than 99mg per capsule.

#6 pamojja

• 2,430 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:36 AM

Then see them for the first time, for example here: https://purebulk.com...uct&q=potassium

With potassium powders (bicarbonate, citrate, chloride..) its important to start with very low doses, disolved very well in a glass of water, and increase only slowly while monitoring serum electrolyts levels. Keep them balanced.

Sadly one other mineral very often deficient is magnesium, which wont be found with the usual serum-testing. Only a RBC-test could catch it. Or right away supplement it.

• Agree x 1

#7 protoject

• Topic Starter
  • 951 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:26 PM

Experience report:
I've been taking almost  60%-100% per day for a few days but broken up by dose and dissolved in tons of water. At first it was a bit hard on the stomach sometimes, which is definitely helped with more water for dissolving it [it's a pain to drink all that honestly lol I already drink a lot of other liquids]. . I've been tolerating it well but one thing that I've noticed is that this stuff irritates my lower bowel pretty badly.  Like to the point I'm getting the shits. So I think I might just do 20%  x 2 doses  = 40% per day maybe....  Anyone know of any good capsules that have a reasonably large dose of potassium of another kind that is safer? The potassium citrate on purebulk is such a tiny dose. 3% .

I don't feel so much that I definitely "need" this supplement but I always like to have the option available for experiments or for supplementing when I need it. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 pamojja

• 2,430 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:25 AM

Anyone know of any good capsules that have a reasonably large dose of potassium of another kind that is safer? The potassium citrate on purebulk is such a tiny dose. 3% .

That's why pills and capsules over the counter are limited to only 99mg. Anything bigger could damage your stomach walls in its concentrated form even worse. Not a good idea at all.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: potassium, chloride, electrolytes, supplement, dose, nosalt, salt, substitute

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users